Charles Fischer

Oregon May Not Be a Great Football Team?

Others are starting to write it, and now another site is beginning to do Opinion-Editorial articles as we do on FishDuck?

It's Time to Admit that the 2021 Oregon Ducks Might not be a Great Football Team by Zach Neel of Ducks Wire

Dye gets blocks_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Well, the Article isn't as good as ours, but it makes some good points, the same ones that are made here.  It was Oregon that beat Ohio State. But that Oregon hasn't been seen since that early morning. The Oregon that has played since then isn't a Top 10 team, though it could be the best team in the Pac-12. 

I read it as saying 'at times....... Oregon has looked like a team capable of hanging with the nations best.' 'As long as there is still time on the clock, they have a shot to win' is how I read it. I know the other half of that paragraph made the opposing view, but the question I have is which team is going to show up through the rest of the season?

My take is I am getting more positive as most are going the other direction. His last sentence asks if it is time to admit we aren't that good, not ready yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

IMO the Ducks over achieved in the Ohio St game. Same as FS did. And what we're seeing now is the real Duck team. Get ready for roller coaster finish type of season.

We're far from the nations best, it'll be interesting to see how the defense does with Thibs and Funa back but our lines still get pushed around too much and the loose zone coverage just tells every OC playing us 5-10 yard passes will be open. 

As far as the prevent offense goes... look how far down the list we are on points per game compared to the top teams https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/points-per-game  If we clean up the stupid penalties in the redzone and 3rd down we still have a chance to do well in the Pac.

On 10/18/2021 at 6:05 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

IMO the Ducks over achieved in the Ohio St game. Same as FS did. And what we're seeing now is the real Duck team. Get ready for roller coaster finish type of season.

I'm not sure the Ducks over achieved in Columbus?

I do know that after the loss Ryan Day demoted the DC, changed the system to not always playing with a way deep safety to prevent long scores and changed up the personnel

Since Oregon the Bucks has been on fire. Ohio State certainly should TCB this Saturday in Columbus vs Northwestern.

I dont think we are as good as advertised, which is leading to a lot of negative thoughts and opinions and rightfully so. We thought we had a Mustang but got a Pinto instead. 

I once heard  Saban in an interview in which he said its not just about having high star recruits its about having the right ones that the team needs. TY Thompson was the best QB in Arizona history but what does that really mean? We dont really know? maybe he freaks under pressure of 300lb linemen, and the same could be said for other top recruits.

Our D except for Bennett cant stop good passing teams and our line cant stop the run, we give up nearly 4 yrds a play and rank 60th in total defense, our team is extremely injury prone and lacking depth at least according to our coach. Ive always wondered how much faith we should put into all these highly ranked recruits coming out of high school leagues.  But.....thats why the School pays 4 mil for a head coach and 2 mil for O and D coordinators.-- I just want to see some great football, my problem is that I AM A FULL TIME DUCK FAN --

The record says this is not a bad team.  I don’t believe there are any teams left on the schedule that will pencil in a W against them.

Will the 2021 Duck team achieve team goals, and still fall short of fan hopes?

On 10/18/2021 at 5:53 PM, Duck1984 said:

The record says this is not a bad team.  I don’t believe there are any teams left on the schedule that will pencil in a W against them.

We are very fortunate that we play in the PAC

Maybe it is unfortunate we won in Columbus. It would have been much better to have met them on 1/1/21 and beat them then. The season is what it is and we have to move forward, the players are, can we?

On 10/18/2021 at 6:09 PM, Haywarduck said:

Maybe it is unfortunate we won in Columbus. It would have been much better to have met them on 1/1/21 and beat them then. The season is what it is and we have to move forward, the players are, can we?

At least we have a lot to talk about this season.

Ok I went back to the last team to beat tosu in the second game of the season in the shoe, it was Oklahoma in 2017. They lost in an upset in their 5th game at home. They then went on to win the rest of their games and lost in the............. I would take that season, but I would want to win my last game, The Bowl Game!

As a history major, I love to look at the past, because it is a decent predictor of what is to come. You usually need to triangulate with another data point, but right now the Oklahoma story is leading us right through our season.

On 10/18/2021 at 9:01 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

We are very fortunate that we play in the PAC

FSU that was blown out by the Ducks in the first playoff game that was played in the Rose Bowl was lucky it played in the ACC. That FSU team was undefeated only due to the poor competition it faced.

And Dabo Swinney never apologized for winning a weak ACC and going to the final 4. 

On 10/18/2021 at 5:53 PM, Duck1984 said:

We will have a thread about that subject tomorrow...

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/18/2021 at 6:41 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Dabo Swinney never apologized for winning a weak ACC and going to the final 4. 

Wowsa.  Nailed it.  Whew!

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/18/2021 at 6:41 PM, Jon Joseph said:

FSU that was blown out by the Ducks in the first playoff game that was played in the Rose Bowl was lucky it played in the ACC. That FSU team was undefeated only due to the poor competition it faced.

And Dabo Swinney never apologized for winning a weak ACC and going to the final 4. 

I think any team should be considered on its own merit.

In truth, I don’t think many of us thought the 2021 Ducks were going to be a great team in the pre-season.  (I know, I was the homer who said “15-0 baby,” knowing it was a pipe dream, but wanting to believe).

After the tOSU game, a lot of us thought they could be very good, but I seem to remember most of us thinking great was still a year or two out.

My hope now is that the team that played down to their opponents level in the first half of the season will start to play UP to their opponents level the rest of the way.  Do that and I think we will remain good to very good, with greatness a year or two away.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/18/2021 at 7:59 PM, PittDuck said:

My hope now is that the team that played down to their opponents level in the first half of the season will start to play UP to their opponents level the rest of the way.

You are a GREAT fan.  I so-hope you are right...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/18/2021 at 7:59 PM, PittDuck said:

My hope now is that the team that played down to their opponents level in the first half of the season will start to play UP to their opponents level the rest of the way.  Do that and I think we will remain good to very good, with greatness a year or two away.

I share this hope. We know it's in there because we witnessed it at Ohio State. I still can't help but feel like that Ohio State game was called completely different from an offensive scheme point.

Does anyone else see it that way or am I just kidding myself?

If it was......why? If not then why are the same types of plays not working versus lesser opponents? Is it because of the type of D tOSU was playing compared to what most others play? That game caused Ryan Day to make a huge adjustment in their defensive scheme. Because of this fact I tend to think the issue was more their D that day then it was that the plays we were running were that much different.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/18/2021 at 8:10 PM, C J said:

I tend to think the issue was more their D that day

I fear this too.  "Oregon has never beat us...we have them in the 'Shoe....no prob."

I feel that the UCLA game will be a bellwether indicator for the rest of the season.

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/18/2021 at 5:25 PM, 30Duck said:

Well, the Article isn't as good as ours, but it makes some good points, the same ones that are made here.  It was Oregon that beat Ohio State. But that Oregon hasn't been seen since that early morning. The Oregon that has played since then isn't a Top 10 team, though it could be the best team in the Pac-12. 

YES! 30, you have figured IT out, bless you. In order to play its best ball the Ducks has to kick off at 9 AM Pacific time!

KIDDING! Not trying to be at all sarcastic. Dummy me figured the early KO time in Columbus would hurt the Ducks but Oregon played its best ball of the season. This was right up there with my prediction that Charlie Brewer transferring from Baylor to Utah would be the most impactful transfer of the season. And last Saturday? I played the Over in the CAL game.

Nothing to see here, move right along.

On 10/18/2021 at 8:28 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I feel that the UCLA game will be a bellwether indicator for the rest of the season.

I thought that about the Ohio St game.