Kentduck

OBD?

I used to enjoy the discussion on this site. I still enjoy the excellent articles about X’s and O’s. I am turned off by the constant and zealous criticism of Cristobal. He’s not all bad.

• Thumbs Up 3

I too think it does do over the top, when discussion even begins to elude to him leaving, getting fired. It is also a bit too much when he negatively compared to other coaches, but that is just my reaction. It seems it helps many and isn't against any rules. I try to look at the Ducks as family, one needs to be very careful when criticizing family.

• Thumbs Up 2

I do not think Mario per se is being criticized. The system he is running on O is being criticized. You cannot allow inferior opponents to hang in and not expect to be criticized. You cannot mismanage the game clock in the end game and not be criticized.

Unlike the recent situation at LSU I believe that the vast majority of Oregon fans want Mario to succeed + get to the playoff. I know that I for one want to see this happen.

When you make $5M a year to coach a CFB team you will be criticized when the team does not perform up to the level of the talent on the roster.

But the team is 5-1 and for that Mario deserves a pat on the back. IMO on Saturday it's on the D? Will the D be able to stand up to the UCLA run game? LSU could not do so.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 6:21 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I do not think Mario per se is being criticized. The system he is running on O is being criticized. You cannot allow inferior opponents to hang in and not expect to be criticized. You cannot mismanage the game clock in the end game and not be criticized.

Unlike the recent situation at LSU I believe that the vast majority of Oregon fans want Mario to succeed + get to the playoff. I know that I for one want to see this happen.

When you make $5M a year to coach a CFB team you will be criticized when the team does not perform up to the level of the talent on the roster.

But the team is 5-1 and for that Mario deserves a pat on the back. IMO on Saturday it's on the D? Will the D be able to stand up to the UCLA run game? LSU could not do so.

Great Point!!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/18/2021 at 5:56 PM, Kentduck said:

I used to enjoy the discussion on this site. I still enjoy the excellent articles about X’s and O’s. I am turned off by the constant and zealous criticism of Cristobal. He’s not all bad.

What can I say?  He's made a ton of bad decisions with the offense...and fans are seeing it.  As Jon said...I do not want to see him fired, but to win in the Playoffs--we must be able to score more.  Jon is correct in that we are not going after him on a personal basis, but on a football platform.

Have you been on other forums?  It is FAR WORSE, and nobody is protected.  You are free to state your opinions here, and people have to be nice no matter what it is.  That is not available anywhere else.

I do have advice as there are many like you:

--Basketball season starts soon, and we will be chatting that up.  (I don't have a problem with Dana's or Kelly's offense!)

--You will need to callous up, because this is going to get worse, I fear, with the remainder of the season.  It will originate from the decisions MC has made, and the fans will be displeased, I believe.

--If things turn around, then like previous years--it will be fun for all.  But I am not in favor of promoting nothing but the positive...been-there-and-done-that years ago.

--In the decade of FishDuck--I've had years where it was nothing but GREAT, and then years like 2016..and maybe now.  We let the topics flow as people feel them; I only look at behaviors, that regardless of the year, we must be "Polite and Respectful" to each other.

--Analysis article on Thursday!

If you have been on this site for long, then you would remember several of my articles like this one where I stated all the areas I value Cristobal at, such as his leadership, his recruiting, his values, etc.  I want him here at Oregon, only with a more potent offense.  I put this in writing and still people forget...

Or maybe we are not your cup-of-tea.  I am not trying to please everyone, and I put a boatload of money and time into this forum--thus I will operate it as I believe is best for the majority of people.  If it is not a fit--I understand, and the door is always open.

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

OBD, can you help me out?

I found ODB means,

Optimum Bed Density (pharmaceutical manufacturing)

Opioid Bowel Dysfunction (gastrointestinal side effect)

Organization of Black Designers, I suppose self explanatory

which leaves me wondering? I guess it is a sign of getting older when acronyms start to try once patience);.

5qyh6r.jpg

Our Beloved Ducks Forum

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/18/2021 at 7:49 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Our Beloved Ducks Forum

I didn't see that one when I tried looking it up. I suppose OBD, wouldn't it be Our Beloved Ducks Forum (OBDF), isn't quite big enough yet, soon.

When I looked up OBDF there were only two, 

Oregon Business Development Forum, and Ontario Bingo Development Fund, so there is hope for the acronym, but still not a fan of acronyms.

I've used the OBD acronym often so I don't have to write it all out each time.  But I see how it can cause confusion...

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/18/2021 at 7:47 PM, Haywarduck said:

Overly Bitter Ducks

Outrageously beneficial discussions

ostentatious belligerent drivel

our boring Ducks

oh wait our beloved Ducks.
🤷‍♂️ 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/18/2021 at 8:01 PM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

our boring Ducks

That one might be more accurate than we wish!

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/18/2021 at 8:01 PM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

Overly Bitter Ducks

Outrageously beneficial discussions

ostentatious belligerent drivel

our boring Ducks

oh wait our beloved Ducks.
🤷‍♂️ 

Well done, I set it up and you took it!

Watching successful changes being made at Oklahoma and other places has made us "intelligent" (the quotes don't indicate sarcasm. See above posts for how smart we are) Duck people envious and more rebellious to Cristobal's entrenched attitude. We've seen what Ty Thompson potentially offers for a more accurate downfield passing game and we'd rightfully like to go for that test drive. After frittering away the undefeated season at Stanford there's a bit of wiggle room for experimentation. At least give another QB SOME playing time. In addition, some quarterbacks have benefitted from watching for awhile before coming back to lead again. The Oregon offense needs a spark. That is undeniable. Too many weapons are not being used. I'd also like to talk about  the problems I have with the defense, but I've barely scratched the surface with the offense and after a long day of work and two hours of libational reward the alcohol is starting to do it's job. So we'll leave it there..........

• Thumbs Up 1

Our offense does need a spark.  Most want Mario to give Ty a chance, but will anything change, will it open up the offense?  As conservative as Mario is, I see him restricting Ty, pigeon holing into the conservative offense that Brown plays.  Look what he did with Herbert.  Justin was never able to play the game to his potential or strengths, and I'd guess Ty won't be able to either.  At some point, Mario needs to develop his offense around the strength of his players, and let them do what they do best.

On 10/18/2021 at 10:47 PM, Haywarduck said:

I found ODB means,

Optimum Bed Density (pharmaceutical manufacturing)

Opioid Bowel Dysfunction (gastrointestinal side effect)

Organization of Black Designers, I suppose self explanatory

which leaves me wondering? I guess it is a sign of getting older when acronyms start to try once patience);.

5qyh6r.jpg

Donnie, you're out of your element.

On 10/19/2021 at 7:42 AM, 47sgs said:

At some point, Mario needs to develop his offense around the strength of his players, and let them do what they do best.

Great point, and it seems an element of coaching that Cristobal hasn't developed yet. Mario has a "plan", he's got high quality players. But he hasn't figured out yet how to implement it beyond being Tough. He is resistant to change because he really doesn't have anything in place yet, just an idea.