Vandownbytheriverduck

Overlooked? Irrelevant? Germane?

If I’m not mistaken, I believe our boreloved Ducks are STILL one of the youngest most inexperienced teams in the nation. 

How much weight or allowance should fans give that fact when evaluating performance? 

Personally it’s one of the reasons I’m not apoplectic about the lack of consistency. 

Two years from now if the results are similar, then I’ll Blow up! 

Curious if others believe it’s a significant factor or more that coaches aren’t getting it done. 

Edited by Vandownbytheriverduck
Typo
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/19/2021 at 8:24 AM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

personally it’s one of the reasons I’m not apoplectic about the lack of consistency. 

This season could be where we saw a "Bad win". Not that beating tOSU was bad, it was glorious. But, it put Oregon in the Top 4, then up to No. 3, and all our expectations went up. But, after that game, the team leveled off, probably to where we all expected it to be, but because of the W in Columbus, it was shocking and disappointing. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Agree completely. Next year and 2023 are the seasons to get excited about.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great point, there are variables we fans don't understand. There are a lot of data points we can interpret in many ways.

Many of our highly rated players are very young. Our sophomore DE is headed to the NFL, but our freshman qb is on the bench. I do think it is a data point which is effecting play and should be considered when questioning some of the outcomes.

• Thumbs Up 1

The youth and injuries have primarily been on defense, while our objections have been about a low-scoring offense that has a 6th year senior quarterback and  Super-Senior receivers.  The offensive line has had a full year of camps and games and are now halfway into the second one. Yes they've had some injuries, but frankly--Walk has done fine filling in at center. An experienced offensive line is now there, IMHO.

The only inexperience on offense is at Tight End, and they have been playing incredible for any year in school they are.  Almost no drops and great blocking...

So on offense?  No, youth is not an excuse for me.  

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/19/2021 at 8:31 AM, Haywarduck said:

Many of our highly rated players are very young. Our sophomore DE is headed to the NFL, but our freshman qb is on the bench.

Exactly.

The Ducks lack speed height and strength at senior WR and even RB. The young recruits look amazing but not all have forced their way on to the field. 

As much as I love the following players, they need to be replaced with better physical talents/ specimens. Redd Johnson Dye Verdell AB 

speed kills on offense and the Ducks don’t have one player with proven ability to outrun everyone on the field. LMJ, KB, DAT.

hopefully seven but at under 200lbs.... not certain he’s a 20 touch a game guy 

On 10/19/2021 at 8:50 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Agreed, youth and inexperience are not AB's problems. 

The "youth" issue on offense is not the age and experience of the starters, it's all the young blue-chip talent that is not playing. Only at TE have recent, highly rated recruits seen much game action. The QB, OL, RB and WR receiver talent is still mostly under wraps.

• Thumbs Up 1

No, youth is not an excuse for me.  

I didn’t think so, for you. 🤷‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

However, why aren’t our more physically talented WR RB and QBs seeing the field?

Experience? Or talent?

Part of my argument is that the inexperience of youth is keeping better talent sidelined. 

Do you believe Redd, Johnson, Dye and AB are the best we can do physically?

Would you agree they are less naturally gifted compared to young guys behind them?

The “talent” seems to be waiting in the wings and only not seeing the field because of experience.

Edited by Vandownbytheriverduck

On 10/19/2021 at 9:04 AM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

why aren’t our more physically talented WR RB and QBs seeing the field?

Your concerns fold very neatly into what I've spouting about on offense for a long time; bad coaching decisions.

If a 6th year QB is making bad decisions repeatedly--then the newbie QBs should have been made ready and given some playing time.  Ditto for the wide-outs.  We have had a cascade of bad decisions on offense beginning with dumping not one, but two high-scoring offenses that were proven to work at Oregon.

The bad decisions have snowballed from there.  We would be killing it on offense right now if Helfrich was OC, had full control and was QB coach as before.  Same players, but different coaching.

And this is not an indictment of Moorhead, as the key words are full control.  I use Helfrich as an example because I know what he can do, and we truly do not know what Moorhead could do unimpeded.

Mr. FishDuck

FYI, A+M defeated Bama 2 weeks ago. 2 A+M OL true frosh were both just named to the ESPN and the CBS all-frosh teams.

How is true frosh Caleb Williams looking at Oklahoma? True frosh TE Bowers at Georgia?

You have studs for 3 years in CFB before they head for the NFL. You do not have the luxury of waiting for youngsters to mature on their own. They have to be coached up and they have to have the opportunity to play.

If these youngsters on both sides of the ball get no experience this season why do folks believe that 2022 will be a special season?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/19/2021 at 9:37 AM, Jon Joseph said:

How is true frosh Caleb Williams looking at Oklahoma

I don't expect Ty Thompson would come in and play like Williams did against Texas, and then look like like a savvy Vet the next week. But, I honestly just don't see the downfall to the offense if Thompson had started against Cal?

AB is what he is, behind him, the Ducks rallied and held on to beat Cal, at home. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/19/2021 at 9:37 AM, Jon Joseph said:

If these youngsters on both sides of the ball get no experience this season why do folks believe that 2022 will be a special season?

Excellent point. They’ll get some but game reps matter. 

On 10/19/2021 at 8:24 AM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

How much weight or allowance should fans give that fact when evaluating performance? 

A lot! Kelly was in a similar situation a few years ago. I'm hoping a great culture is being fostered that will minimize young talent from entering the portal. I'm in for 2 years, as well. Go Ducks.

On 10/19/2021 at 8:30 AM, jrw said:

Agree completely. Next year and 2023 are the seasons to get excited about.

I think before the season that's what I was reading and hearing from a lot of Duck fans.

It is a young team.

For me, youth combined with the covid pause are factors in how the team is playing. According to a current depth chart I found online, the first team offense has 5 freshmen and sophomores and the second team has 8 freshmen and sophomores.  The first and second team defense have 8 and 9 freshmen and sophomores. That's a lot.

Being on campus and spending a lot of time around each other, especially the veteran players, are key to helping the younger players learn the culture and everything else that goes into being productive college football players. Repetition and constant reinforcement of what's being taught is also important. Spending half of 2020 at home must have really slowed the development of players, especially the young ones. Not only did is slow development, I suspect many forgot at least some the things they had been taught. 

On defense we always seem to give up big plays with younger defensive backs in the past. As they gain experience playing together, and hit the weight room we usually have seen them play much better together. 

We are burning redshirts every game now. You give these guys a different QB, and two more years of playing time, we then we have a team that has potential to win against anyone. 

Edited by Drake

I believe that youth does play a part and has every year I've watched college FB. Mistakes like penalties, missed assignments, playing along side each other, leadership, etc. I think losing Cam McCormick was huge for the offense. He started against tOSU and our offense hasn't looked the same since.

Also is it possible they peaked for the tOSU game seeing it was such a huge game.

I agree... 

The offense needs to get out of its own way and get a QB who can run the offense at 100%. 

The defense has been making improvements but just isn't consistent at this time. They can go from an incredible set of downs to another set where they implode. 

The youth and injuries have primarily been on defense, while our objections have been about a low-scoring offense that has a 6th year senior quarterback and  Super-Senior receivers.  The offensive line has had a full year of camps and games and are now halfway into the second one. Yes they've had some injuries, but frankly--Walk has done fine filling in at center. An experienced offensive line is now there, IMHO.

The only inexperience on offense is at Tight End, and they have been playing incredible for any year in school they are.  Almost no drops and great blocking...

Seems to me that all our blue-chip players on offense are young and not seeing the field much, other than the 2 TE's.

Also, didn't rotate O-line against Cal like other games.

On 10/19/2021 at 1:53 PM, Annie said:

I think before the season that's what I was reading and hearing from a lot of Duck fans.

It is a young team.

Annie, 2022 opening up in the ATL vs Georgia. Big OOC game in 2023? At Texas Tech. I am with you in regards to 2023.

But in this day and age of CFB is it not better to play young guys Sooner rather (Rattler) than later?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/19/2021 at 3:05 PM, David Marsh said:

I agree... 

The offense needs to get out of its own way and get a QB who can run the offense at 100%. 

The defense has been making improvements but just isn't consistent at this time. They can go from an incredible set of downs to another set where they implode. 

David, this is one Marsh-Fellow who is most definitely in your camp. You have to get your top drawer recruits on the field of play.

If you are lucky you have 'these guys' for 3 years. If the players you recruited are 'all that,' and recruiting services are getting better and better with their analysis, you are wasting productivity by handing these guys a RS season.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/19/2021 at 4:14 PM, Jon Joseph said:

But in this day and age of CFB is it not better to play young guys Sooner rather (Rattler) than later?

Bravo my friend !

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2021 at 7:44 PM, 30Duck said:

Instead of using his natural talent, arm strength, and ability shown to date to go to the NFL? Even as a 3rd round draft pick?

I'd love for the conference to get this back home and playing in the Pac-12 but I don't see it happening?