30Duck

Moorhead Has Brown's Back

I don’t know about the rest of you, but if my boss told people I was doing a “solid” job, I’d be looking to get better or get replaced!

Solid is not exactly a ringing endorsement…

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/19/2021 at 10:51 AM, PittDuck said:

I don’t know about the rest of you, but if my boss told people I was doing a “solid” job, I’d be looking to get better or get replaced!

Solid is not exactly a ringing endorsement…

that's exactly what i was thinking... i do not take "you're doing a solid job" as a ringing endorsement... also makes you stop and think... and yes i realize it was just this weekend but how many people are gushing over the pass to Redd... 6 games into the season and it's the only jaw dropping pass so far... (i'm sure someone will point out one i'm forgetting)

Moorhead is placed in a near-impossible position, as he was a quarterback and has coached some great ones.  He knows, but he has to play the media-game.  If all else fails....believe your own eyes.

• Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

It sounds like he's stuck.  Of course he doesn't want to bad-mouth his own starting QB and destroy any confidence further but I'm sure he knows more than anyone on that team that something has to give eventually.

Food for thought... we put up 24 on Cal and Stanford... Cal is giving up an average of 27.6 and Stanford 27 points per game... I know that is not all on AB but yikes

• Thumbs Up 1

It may not be the best but we should be 6 and 0 except for a fluke td by Stanford. He is doing enough to keep the job, especially in the 4th quarter. Booing him was bush league. Points were left on the field in the first half by other players.

• Thumbs Up 4

I interpret "doing a solid job" as just enough to keep the current QB until another loss. If Oregon chooses to stay with AB through out the remainder of the season then I will have growing concern for the development of future QB's for the Ducks. With the way Oregon has been playing football over the past couple of years I feel the Ducks have not been able to get their back up QB's valuable game time experience. I feel bad saying that I kind of want to see another loss if that's what it takes to move on and develop QB's that will be with the program beyond the end of the season. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/19/2021 at 12:56 PM, Edubs024 said:

I feel bad saying that I kind of want to see another loss if that's what it takes to move on and develop QB's that will be with the program beyond the end of the season. 

I've thought this often and it is the basis for an article in the future.  Great observation in your first post--WELCOME.

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

That's the game plan. Emphasis on "in his role." His role is not to screw up. 

Kid is a gamer and a competitor who also has the respect of his teammates. But his game is contrary to what the Ducks will need to do in the Rose Bowl this Saturday. These Bruins play poorly against the mid-range pass and the deep ball. 

Like at Ohio State, Moorhead needs to get the TEs involved with underneath drag routes and back in the ball game. And please, perhaps run some hurry up O and on occasion spread the field and line up other than in a phone booth?

Running the ball directly at the UCLA D will be playing right into Chip's hands.

OT: Moorhead is among the leading candidates for the WAZZU job. But he may want to wait until seeing what PSU's James Franklin will, if anything, do? He would also be a viable candidate for the Penn State job.

On 10/19/2021 at 11:13 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Moorhead is placed in a near-impossible position, as he was a quarterback and has coached some great ones.  He knows, but he has to play the media-game.  If all else fails....believe your own eyes.

Though Anthony Brown is not lighting the world on fire, he doesn't make a bunch of mistakes that jeopardizes the defense by putting them in a hole inside their own Red Zone, repeatedly.

I'm going out on a limb here, but the coaches have stress tested Thompson and Butterfield with Oregon's own #1 defense three or for times (at least) and they have failed every time. If not, they would be playing.

By "stress test" I mean they try to speed up the clock in their head to see how they handle the pressure. Coordinated blitz's, disguised coverages, etc.

A successful test is no turn overs. Did they get the team in & out of the huddle without a penalty? Did they move the ball? Did they score?

The fact that they're not taking any meaningful snaps during the season tells you they're not ready.

On 10/19/2021 at 1:16 PM, Jon Joseph said:

That's the game plan. Emphasis on "in his role." His role is not to screw up. 

Kid is a gamer and a competitor who also has the respect of his teammates. But his game is contrary to what the Ducks will need to do in the Rose Bowl this Saturday. These Bruins play poorly against the mid-range pass and the deep ball. 

Like at Ohio State, Moorhead needs to get the TEs involved with underneath drag routes and back in the ball game. And please, perhaps run some hurry up O and on occasion spread the field and line up other than in a phone booth?

Running the ball directly at the UCLA D will be playing right into Chip's hands.

OT: Moorhead is among the leading candidates for the WAZZU job. But he may want to wait until seeing what PSU's James Franklin will, if anything, do? He would also be a viable candidate for the Penn State job.

Good points about Moorhead. He also has to be healthy enough to take that kind of stress.

Btw, do you think his value has increased much being at Oregon?

On 10/19/2021 at 6:56 PM, DanLduck said:

Good points about Moorhead. He also has to be healthy enough to take that kind of stress.

Btw, do you think his value has increased much being at Oregon?

5-1 this season and the 'best' OOC win of the year at Ohio State? I do not think his value has decreased and I do think that most CFB folk know that he does not have a free hand?

Well whatever solid means, to me it means that out Offense needs to improve drastically. IMO its awful.