Charles Fischer

Mid-Season Prediction Contest: How Does Oregon Finish? (Contest Closes Saturday Morning!)

This thread could be the start of quite a bit of discussion into other tangents, but let's each give our prediction as to the season-ending record for the Ducks.  

Give me your final record, which means you are right in the number of wins and losses, but also takes into account of whether we make a Pac-12 Conference Championship game (or not) a bowl, or even a Playoff.  Thus you need to get the number of games correct too.  Then, (for tiebreaker purposes) I need how many points you think Oregon will average scoring for the season and how many they give up per game average.  Right now the Ducks are scoring 33.83 points per game, (the three year average is 33.84 points per game....how amazing is that?) and Oregon is giving up an average of 21 points per game.

Predictions in other threads do not count as I am not hunting them down.  Predictions without all three sets of numbers will be invalid.  (Sorry to be anal, but people mess up and make it tough on me)

I am thinking about a prize, since we won't see the result of this for a few months, but no guarantee there yet.  (If anybody wants to throw in...for sponsorship purposes, I am a Shameless Beggar)

You are also welcome to explain how you arrived at your prediction.  I'll start...

8-5, 30 points scored per game, 26 points per game given up.  So....8-5, 30, 26

Sorry to be so negative, but watching the Cal game...it popped into my mind that, "this is an 8-5 team."  We will lose three more in the regular season and not go to the conference championship game and we will lose our lower-tier bowl game.  The potential for this team is to win-out, but the will to change on offense by Cristobal is not.

One more prediction: Moorhead will leave Oregon at the end of this season, and Mastro will be elevated to "Supreme Yes-Man."  (OC)

Mario Cristobal October 2021_GoDucks.com.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Wow, that is a mind numbing prediction, but probably pretty accurate.  With losses to UCLA, Utah, maybe OSU, and possibly a Washington school, that's probably in the ball park.  In a lower tier bowl game, I think we'll win it.  It just doesn't seem like leaving is in Mario's personality, but with LSU and likely Miami openings, he certainly could.

It is diabolical of you, Charles to do this right before the UCLA game. What the Ducks do in that one could change my opinion drastically, or confirm it.

8-5

9-4

30 points per game

25 points allowed per game

9-4, 29 points per game, 21 points allowed per game.

Edited by kirklandduck

9-5

31 for 

27 against 

We lose Pac12 championship and lower bowl

12-1, 32, 30. A whole bunch of 1 score differential games vs the best and the worst opponents.

OT loss to UGA in the PO semi-final Orange Bowl game. Revenge the following season?

• Thumbs Up 1

11-3-- 28-26

The PAC is just as bad or worse than us.

10-3 we lose to Utah and the Beavs who take the pac-12 north but we win the dyson/cheetos vacuum bowl 

35 PPG as we score a bit better after Brown is benched but it's still not enough

18 PPG given up due to Thibs making starting QB's have to sit out a few plays to swap their white pants for brown pants 

• Like 1

Whoa Jon, can I get some of whatever you are taking?

I'll go 10-4, 33 and 19.

We win the north, beat Utah in the champ game after they beat us in the regular season on their field and then we lose in the Rose Bowl to Penn State.

On 10/19/2021 at 1:36 PM, deschutesduck said:

10-3 we lose to Utah and the Beavs who take the pac-12 north but we win the Dyson/Cheetos vacuum bowl 

I love these upbeat predictions, and Jon...even when with too many of my tasty Oregon Craft IPA Beers--I cannot match your enthusiasm.  Thanks, as we need it!

Mr. FishDuck

This weekend the death spiral begins.

7-6, 25, 35.

On 10/19/2021 at 1:27 PM, Jon Joseph said:

12-1, 32, 30. A whole bunch of 1 score differential games vs the best and the worst opponents.

OT loss to UGA in the PO semi-final Orange Bowl game. Revenge the following season?

Love your optimism!

Go Ducks!!

On 10/19/2021 at 5:03 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I love these upbeat predictions, and Jon...even when with too many of my tasty Oregon Craft IPA Beers--I cannot match your enthusiasm.  Thanks, as we need it!

"For how can a man die better

Then facing fearful odds

For the ashes of his fathers

And the temples of his gods."

There is a difference between righteous IPAs and devastating martinis. My martini glass is half+ filled. At least until come Saturday evening.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 2:07 PM, Charles Fischer said:

One more prediction: Moorhead will leave Oregon at the end of this season, and Mastro will be elevated to "Supreme Yes-Man."  (OC)

Mario Cristobal October 2021_GoDucks.com.jpg

Wow Charles.  The prediction you mentioned that Moorhead will leave Oregon and Mastro will be elevated to "Supreme Yes-Man as the OC, very depressing!  Even my green tinted glasses won't get me past that one if it comes true.  Just that thought makes me cringe in fear.

Love Jon's upbeat prediction!   JM will be present as the OC, more players coming back from injuries, Oregon will look more like the team that beat Ohio St. on both sides of the ball.  They will find a way in each remaining Pac12 games, including the Pac12 championship to pull out the wins.  

12-1

Edited by NJDuck

9-5

32 scored

24 Allowed

Season 2022 tickets sales decline.

10-4

Losses at Utah, Pac 12 Championship Game, and Alamo Bowl (because the team will have injuries, burned out)

I agree that we could see Moorehead depart at the end of this season. There are so many HC openings even right now. It would be an absolute disaster if Cristobal chose to promote Jim "Toy Pistol" Mastro to OC. For all his stubbornness I believe Cristobal would fly the job open just like last time.

He seems willing to learn; although at a painfully slow pace. By the team an offensive coordinator convinces him to coach with the adaptability of Nick Saban we may be playing football against Klingons. So it would be great for him to hire another coordinator with more experience than him.

Also, I feel like even without marquee HC openings, Moorhead's patience with Cristobal's level of influence on the offense will only last so long. He knows he is one of the top offense minds in college football. Why put up with a head coach telling you not to implement certain things that you know work well? He could even leave for another OC job where he's given creative freedom to implement his design.

On 10/19/2021 at 6:13 PM, Babyjesus615 said:

10-4

Losses at Utah, Pac 12 Championship Game, and Alamo Bowl (because the team will have injuries, burned out)

I need the other tie-breaker numbers please.

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/19/2021 at 9:13 PM, Babyjesus615 said:

10-4

I agree that we could see Moorehead depart at the end of this season. There are so many HC openings even right now. It would be an absolute disaster if Cristobal chose to promote Jim "Toy Pistol" Mastro to OC. For all his stubbornness I believe Cristobal would fly the job open just like last time.

He seems willing to learn; although at a painfully slow pace. By the team an offensive coordinator convinces him to coach with the adaptability of Nick Saban we may be playing football against Klingons. So it would be great for him to hire another coordinator with more experience than him.

Also, I feel like even without marquee HC openings, Moorhead's patience with Cristobal's level of influence on the offense will only last so long. He knows he is one of the top offense minds in college football. Why put up with a head coach telling you not to implement certain things that you know work well? He could even leave for another OC job where he's given creative freedom to implement his design.

Of course any OC is aided by having a McSorly at QB and a Barkley at RB.

How different would the Ducks 2021 O look with Marcus at QB, Freeman at RB and JM having the freedom to use them as he so desired?

The WRs and TEs on the team are comparable to the guys JM had at Penn State. It is about the Jimmies and the Joes. But you have to allow for error and put the best J and J's on the football field.

12-2

Utah loss in regular season 

win pac-12 title game

win rose bowl vs Iowa

34 for

21 against 

27 points scored

30 points allowed (Beavs and UCLA will skew this high)

On 10/19/2021 at 6:31 PM, Jon Joseph said:

How different would the Ducks 2021 O look with Marcus at QB, Freeman at RB and JM having the freedom to use them as he so desired?

This scenario would be national championship worthy. With the talent at WR and TE just sitting there in 2021, he would use Freeman on the ground to open up a devastating pass game. Epic to think about.

8-5 if we're lucky, Cristobal is an unbelievable recruiter, but a ridiculously bad in-game coach, who can't seem to motivate his team, except for TOSU game, maybe. Or did TOSU overlook the Ducks?

On 10/19/2021 at 7:40 PM, Dukduponquak said:

8-5 if we're lucky, Cristobal is an unbelievable recruiter, but a ridiculously bad in-game coach, who can't seem to motivate his team, except for TOSU game, maybe. Or did TOSU overlook the Ducks?

I need the other tiebreaker numbers please....and WELCOME to the forum!

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/19/2021 at 11:10 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I need the other tiebreaker numbers please....and WELCOME to the forum!

Sorry Fish, 21 and 31. I've always liked your content, and I was one who stood up for you when you were being chastised on SD. Imho, most over there are band-wagonners that don't know squat but love coming up with snarky responses.

12-2, 32, 27

Lose the natty to Alabama.  Sabin won’t lose a second game to a former assistant this year.

On 10/19/2021 at 9:45 PM, Duck1984 said:

12-2, 32, 27

Lose the natty to Alabama.  Sabin won’t lose a second game to a former assistant this year.

Like the 'Bama optimism

10-4  lose bowl game but get in championship (pac 12)

31 pts/game 

give up 24 pts

Based on D getting more pressure and playing better and better.  Forcing more TOs

DBs playing tighter and getting more interceptions.

On 10/20/2021 at 8:04 AM, Boomer said:

6-8,  25pts/gm, 

Is the 25 points per game on offense or defense?  And what is your other number please?

Mr. FishDuck

10-4 after bowl win

31 pts/game

allow 24 pts/game

Defense gets better, gets more turnovers with tighter secondary play

More pass rush creating more turnovers

Tough game at UCLA but we beat the Beavs

9-4 Final Record w/Bowl Game

9-3 Final Regular Season Record

31.62 Points For Average

23.14 Points Against Average

12- 2

Scoring average 32.5714286

giving up 23.4285714

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/19/2021 at 1:27 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Love your optimism!

11-2,

34 ppg scored

22 ppg allowed

A heathy Defense takes over from here on out.  We win the turnover margin by an average of +2 per game, and defensive scores in at least 4 of the remaining games.

Go Ducks!

14-1 38 and 12. I would rather be wrong than think my Ducks will ever lose again. 

5r89t2.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/20/2021 at 8:03 PM, Haywarduck said:

14-1 38 and 12. I would rather be wrong than think my Ducks will ever lose again. 

5r89t2.jpg

HOMER~!~

• Thanks 1

I was in tears when The Ducks played Auburn in NCG --at the start of the game. I Thought the Good Lord had answered my prayers.

On 10/20/2021 at 8:36 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

HOMER~!~

5r8cyw.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

12 and 2

41 for

20 against

Win Pac 12 and Rose Bowl as AB finally has to sit and MC lets the coordinators do their jobs.

Go Ducks!

On 10/20/2021 at 11:16 AM, Steven A said:

12- 2

Scoring average 32.5714286

giving up 23.4285714

Just eliminating the tie breaker.

On 10/21/2021 at 6:06 PM, Steven A said:

Just eliminating the tie breaker.

Made me laugh!

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/20/2021 at 8:04 AM, Boomer said:

6-8,  25pts/gm,  MC gets Fired, as well as the rest of them. Let Moorhead go to WSU, He's terrible. they will make it to the PURINA BOWL and Lose to SW Missouri State.

Enjoy Men!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Purina Bowl 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I recall when I used to predict out boys would go to the Cucumber Bowl (now that would be the Kraft Cucumber Bowl lol)

9-4

Average score 29 points

Yielding 23 points per game

This team is as sloppy as last year's with more talent than the 2019.  Gets them two victories on talent alone, two more they'll lose that they shouldn't.

Still say CFB should some up with the Hormel Sloppy Joe Bowl.  

We don't attend the conference title game, and lose our bowl game ( whatever it is)

Ducks right the ship:

12-2 after winning PAC 12 and loosing semi

On 10/19/2021 at 7:32 PM, NJDuck said:

Wow Charles.  The prediction you mentioned that Moorhead will leave Oregon and Mastro will be elevated to "Supreme Yes-Man as the OC, very depressing!  Even my green tinted glasses won't get me past that one if it comes true.  Just that thought makes me cringe in fear.

Love Jon's upbeat prediction!   JM will be present as the OC, more players coming back from injuries, Oregon will look more like the team that beat Ohio St. on both sides of the ball.  They will find a way in each remaining Pac12 games, including the Pac12 championship to pull out the wins.  

12-1

Is Andy Staples of The Athletic allowed to participate?

In an article today up on TA discussing Oregon at the midway point of the season, Andy predicts that the Ducks will finish 12-1.

So, I have Andy going for me, which is nice.

9-4, 31.2 offense, 26.7 defense.  Don't win north, win low-level bowl like Lipps Leather Bondage Bowl or something equally stupid, over Ball State or East Kentucky Landscape College