Babyjesus615

Did Moorhead Reveal an Ugly Truth We All Knew?

If you were watching the Skype interview with Jim Moorhead this week it was clear he was defending Anthony Brown and his production or lack thereof. Mostly alot of coach-talk.

But if you heard what I heard in his defense of Brown, he mentioned something quite concerning but painfully obvious. The offense in 2021 is averaging approximately what it did in 2019.

This is not good. This is a sign, maybe even an admission of sorts, that Cristobal has not been allowing the talent he has recruited to develop the way a top tier team should.

How is this not the case? How is a team with MUCH MORE talent than the 2019 team consistently underperforming with better coaching on both sides of the ball? 

The 2019 team succeeded in spite of abysmal play calling ar the hands of Arroyo (look how well he's currently doing). This was a team that had hit rock bottom together in 2016 and probably didn't even need coaches in the end to do what they did as seniors.

So is Moorhead starting to air some frustrations with his boss? Is he saying something that we have all seen? Or is he defending how low scoring, uninspiring football can still be successful?

• Thumbs Up 1

This is what concerns when you see our football team act like Ernie Kents basketball teams. Lots of talent, but always needed a great point guard to make it happen. Ernie yelling move, and Mario, not sure what he yells, maybe juice, doesn't help a team score and create opportunities.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/19/2021 at 6:27 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I need the other tie-breaker numbers please.

27 points scored

30 points allowed (UCLA and Bowl game loss will skew this number high)

On 10/19/2021 at 6:33 PM, Babyjesus615 said:

So is Moorhead starting to air some frustrations with his boss? Is he saying something that we have all seen? Or is he defending how low scoring, uninspiring football can still be successful?

I'll go with the former. You mentioned 2016 as hitting the bottom. We thought that Mario had brought life back into the program, and in many ways he has. But, I know there's frustration here, and I believe that Moorhead revealed some of his own, Do the Ducks need to hit rock bottom again?

On 10/19/2021 at 6:41 PM, 30Duck said:

Do the Ducks need to hit rock bottom again?

If a coach needs a team to hit rock bottom every few of years in order to galvanize them into a successful unit then he may not be the coach that's around to reap the rewards.

On 10/19/2021 at 6:38 PM, Haywarduck said:

This is what concerns when you see our football team act like Ernie Kent's basketball teams. Lots of talent, but always needed a great point guard to make it happen. Ernie yelling move, and Mario, not sure what he yells, maybe juice, doesn't help a team score and create opportunities.

That is a killer analogy.  And Mario yells, "be tough!"

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

One huge difference. AB as a senior is far from the talent of Herbert. Pretty sure Herbert would have thrived under Moorehead’s offense.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Herbert willed the 2019 team forward because he was that talented. He made the players around him better and got everything he could out of them... Which at times wasn't much. 

Also 2019 had probably the best defense in Oregon history. It was loaded with juniors and seniors with some incredible freshman talent sprinkled in... Note... Sprinkled in... KT was a freshman and he did have a good season but he wasn't the leader and he could grow and make mistakes. 

Our defense is still growing up. Sewell has only now played a full seasons worth of games! 

However, offensively this year Oregon has the athletes to kick this offense up a notch but lacks a quarterback who can run it in top gear. We are basically stuck in second right now and occasionally make it to third gear.

(I may be young but I do actually drive a manual... So I'll stick with this analogy... Haha! Stick.. it's a pun!) 

The Moorhead system is slowly....SLOWLY emerging... Again the pistol is basically gone at this point. 

The hardest thing for college athletes isn't always the physical... They have that... But the mental aspect of the game. This could be the thing that is holding Thompson back... Not an excuse but maybe an explanation. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It's true that Moorhead compared this year's statistics with the statistics of the 2019 team, but he didn't do it to air frustrations with the present system; he was trying to make the point that this team's offense, and Anthony Brown, isn't/aren't as bad as many are making it out to be. His point was that the Pac 12 Champion and Rose Bowl winning 2019 team was lead by NFL great Justin Herbert whose statistics are comparable to AB's statistics so far this year.

I'm sorry, but it's a point that's completely lost on me. I saw Justin Herbert play and I've also seen Anthony Brown play and, sorry coach, but Justin Herbert was/is a much better quarterback in every single comparison you want to make. Herbert had a much better vision of the field and was better at checking off receivers, made much better RPO decisions, was a much more accurate passer, and was much faster when he decided to take off and run.

Plus, he had the good sense to slide at the end of his runs that didn't end up out of bounds. What Moorhead didn't point out is that most of the teams Oregon has played so far have losing records and have not had very good defenses. It's going to be interesting to see how AB and Oregon's offense do against the better teams on their schedule starting with their game on Saturday against UCLA.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/19/2021 at 8:42 PM, latracey said:

Justin Herbert whose statistics are comparable to AB's statistics so far this year. I'm sorry, but it's a point that's completely lost on me.

Yeah that argument doesn't work.... By this point in 2019 Herbert had at least 2 games where he threw for 5 touchdowns and was definitely averging more than 200 yards per game. 

On 10/19/2021 at 9:41 PM, 30Duck said:

I'll go with the former. You mentioned 2016 as hitting the bottom. We thought that Mario had brought life back into the program, and in many ways he has. But, I know there's frustration here, and I believe that Moorhead revealed some of his own, Do the Ducks need to hit rock bottom again?

Hard to 'bring life' when someone is smothering you, no?

On 10/20/2021 at 10:39 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Hard to 'bring life' when someone is smothering you, no?

giphy.gif