30Duck

Which Job Is Better? LSU or USC?

Both of these Bluebloods are going to have new coaches next season. LSU won the championship a couple of seasons ago with one of the best teams ever assembled, but have fallen into disarray. 

When USC hired Pete Carroll nobody expected the run the Trojans went on before Carroll said, "Cut" and hightailed it to Seattle. Since then, USC has been "Living On A Dream".

According to Paul Finebaum, ESPN SEC Talking Head, the answer is obvious,

"When you have a program when Les Miles and Ed Orgeron can win national championships at your program, anybody can,because I don't think either of them are great football coaches"

image.jpeg.6348eae107549b3fd3bb1e0225e2e99f.jpeg

So, LSU is coach proof? Miles, Orgeron won the 'ship, but Helton never got close. Besides Carroll's USC teams, Oregon, in 2007, and twice under Chip have come the closest.

What, or who is it going to take for the Pac-12 to win it all again?

Thanks for the post. I note that a poll of coaches by The Athletic earlier this season has LSU at 5 as the best CFB job and SC at 6.

Today, obviously easier to win a Pac-12 instead of an SEC title.

But as Stewart Mandel pointed out today, a $3.3M salary in Baton Rogue = a $5M+ salary in LA. Plus, where are your assistant coaches be able to afford to live in LA?

Want to live on the beach and battle the 405? Or live in Baton Rogue and have the money to go wherever you so desire to travel?

Want to play late at night on the Pac-12 network or during the day on CBS/ESPN?

IMO, it certainly isn't an easy decision.

Most will look at them like the high maintenance date who isn't worth the effort. Much better to get into the stable relationship waiting for most successful coaches. 

5r7don.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/20/2021 at 6:14 PM, Haywarduck said:

Most will look at them like the high maintenance date who isn't worth the effort. Much better to get into the stable relationship waiting for most successful coaches. 

5r7don.jpg

Please, help me off the floor. LOL paralysis.

• Thanks 1

It feels funny to agree with Finebaum, but if you measure success by getting to the Playoffs and then winning, it is LSU all the way. Chip & Pete are the closest the Pac-12 has come to matching the SEC. LSU has two W's in recent memory, and as Finebaum said, Miles and Ed O aren't candidates for the Mt. Rushmore of coaches.

Coaching in the SEC , LSU, Auburn, Texas A & M, Ole Miss, I don't think Kiffin is interested in going back to USC, gets you a lot closer to the CFP than any school in the Pac-12 does. Recruiting? A lot of the top talent in SC's backyard is going to Oregon...but a lot of the talent is going to SEC country, where the most talent is already.

Whoever ends up at USC wasn't wanted at LSU. 

• Thumbs Up 2

This is WSU, but the candidates for the job are assistant coaches, what SEC job would be filled with an assistant coach?

On 10/21/2021 at 11:16 AM, 30Duck said:

This is WSU, but the candidates for the job are assistant coaches, what SEC job would be filled with an assistant coach?

30, when was the last time a Pac-12 team hired a successful, employed, P5 HC to take over the program?

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2021 at 8:28 AM, Jon Joseph said:
On 10/21/2021 at 8:16 AM, 30Duck said:

30, when was the last time a Pac-12 team hired a successful, employed, P5 HC to take over the program?

The closest I can think of is Rich Rod, after he was let go at Michigan, being hired at Arizona. 

On 10/21/2021 at 8:36 AM, Confused said:

But might as well ask for winning lottery numbers 

I always go with 30  24  23  21 20  8 

On 10/21/2021 at 11:35 AM, 30Duck said:

The closest I can think of is Rich Rod, after he was let go at Michigan, being hired at Arizona. 

I should said: 'currently employed ...'

On 10/21/2021 at 9:52 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I should said: 'currently employed ...'

Yes, I think we've arrived at the state of the Pac-12. How many coaching openings in the Pac-12 would be considered lateral to a currently employed head P5 head coach, let alone a step up?

On 10/20/2021 at 1:53 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Thanks for the post. I note that a poll of coaches by The Athletic earlier this season has LSU at 5 as the best CFB job and SC at 6.

Today, obviously easier to win a Pac-12 instead of an SEC title.

But as Stewart Mandel pointed out today, a $3.3M salary in Baton Rogue = a $5M+ salary in LA. Plus, where are your assistant coaches be able to afford to live in LA?

Want to live on the beach and battle the 405? Or live in Baton Rogue and have the money to go wherever you so desire to travel?

Want to play late at night on the Pac-12 network or during the day on CBS/ESPN?

IMO, it certainly isn't an easy decision.

A SEC team gets more attention and perhaps better recruits. Seems an easy choice to me. Not to mention more $$.

I like Creole and Cajun more than Sushi and Avacado.  Easy choice.

• Like 1

I think this is a really good topic, because most of the national media concludes that it's LSU hands down. In fact, I've seen some call it the very best job in college football. The advantages for LSU are numerous: located in the most fertile recruiting region in the country, it's the only Power 5 program in one of the most talent-laden states in the country, it has a recent history of success, it has a very solid brand and program tradition, and the program is totally dedicated to football.

With all of that being said, I don't think enough attention is being given to the disadvantages, though -- the biggest being the Alabama factor. Not only do the Tigers have to compete with the Tide yearly, but they will always be measured against it. A coach can be relatively successful there and still be looked at as a disappointment because Alabama and Saban are going undefeated every other year. Also, just because LSU is the only Power 5 school in Louisiana, it's not like the rest of the SEC isn't within a close-enough range to regularly recruit it. Devonta Smith and Dylan Moses are just a couple examples of Louisiana-born players that Alabama poached, and they're not alone. Both SEC schools and Texas schools will regularly recruit the Pelican State. 

USC isn't as good of a job, primarily because LSU is located in the Southeast. But they're way closer than I think the pundits are making it out to be. As a side note, I don't think either job comes close to the best in the country. Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State are probably in a tier of their own in my opinion.

On 10/21/2021 at 8:20 PM, Joshua Whitted said:

I think this is a really good topic, because most of the national media concludes that it's LSU hands down. In fact, I've seen some call it the very best job in college football. The advantages for LSU are numerous: located in the most fertile recruiting region in the country, it's the only Power 5 program in one of the most talent-laden states in the country, it has a recent history of success, it has a very solid brand and program tradition, and the program is totally dedicated to football.

With all of that being said, I don't think enough attention is being given to the disadvantages, though -- the biggest being the Alabama factor. Not only do the Tigers have to compete with the Tide yearly, but they will always be measured against it. A coach can be relatively successful there and still be looked at as a disappointment because Alabama and Saban are going undefeated every other year. Also, just because LSU is the only Power 5 school in Louisiana, it's not like the rest of the SEC isn't within a close-enough range to regularly recruit it. Devonta Smith and Dylan Moses are just a couple examples of Louisiana-born players that Alabama poached, and they're not alone. Both SEC schools and Texas schools will regularly recruit the Pelican State. 

USC isn't as good of a job, primarily because LSU is located in the Southeast. But they're way closer than I think the pundits are making it out to be. As a side note, I don't think either job comes close to the best in the country. Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State are probably in a tier of their own in my opinion.

Where's the love for Bowdoin College?

No prima donna recruits. Recruits play more like Donna.

No guys headed to the portal. Super seniors are already in medical, business or law school?

NIL? Free pair of LL Bean Waders for every guy on the team.

Every so often the fans in the stands outnumber the number of stray dogs on the field. However, except for New Year's Day, the per capita attendance likely equals that in the Rose Bowl for Bruins games?

Cool Mascot? How about them Polar Bears! 

APR? Absolutely no worries. More guys in the lab than on the practice field.

And the head coach doesn't need an agent or a financial advisor. He only needs a spouse who keeps a weather eye on those lobster purchases.  

• Haha 2