FishDuck Article

Moorhead Offense: Fly Sweep Threat Enhances Oregon’s Speed Option

The Oregon Ducks offense has been consistently good at running the ball through the first half of the 2021 football season. They are one of just two teams to rush for at least 180 yards in each of their games while averaging 210.3 yards per outing. They have done so with a great stable of running backs, and an offensive ...

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks Coach Boles for the analysis and video!

Those linebackers and safety do bite on the fly sweep and especially the mike reading the inside zone blocking of the line.

The multiple ways to attack the defense really uses the speed of Oregon's players.  And is so unpredictable and smarter!

• Thumbs Up 1

Seems like this is what Oregon use to do, run the same play over and over while taking advantage of the defenses decision on that play. Love the idea of making the play into an RPO or just a pass. Innovation is what lights me up!

5ra27k.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Gives me hope!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Thank you Coach.

Are you interested in an OC job?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/21/2021 at 8:02 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Why not a HC job at USC...OCs come here to pare down their offensive ingenuity...

On 10/21/2021 at 9:37 AM, Smith72 said:

Thanks Coach Boles for the analysis and video!

Those linebackers and safety do bite on the fly sweep and especially the mike reading the inside zone blocking of the line.

The multiple ways to attack the defense really uses the speed of Oregon's players.  And is so unpredictable and smarter!

I really like the design of the play, and I wonder if a triple option is in the works from this same look. I thought that’s what it was at first glance. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/21/2021 at 10:02 AM, Haywarduck said:

Seems like this is what Oregon use to do, run the same play over and over while taking advantage of the defenses decision on that play. Love the idea of making the play into an RPO or just a pass. Innovation is what lights me up!

5ra27k.gif

I’m really hoping to see a triple option off of this look!

Thank you for the breakdown, Eric. This information is my favorite here on FishDuck.com.

All the potential "spin offs" this scheme creates is exactly why the rpo and Chip's spread got me very excited about football again in 2009 after years of giving up on boring football. The 2 minute drill proved to me things could be different. 

This also reminds me of one basketball play attributed to the great Barney Holland that N Eugene ran so well.  It was copied for years later by other high schools because it created dozens of options. In fact if two opposing teams ran the same play,  it was still a potent offensive weapon due to all the options. I see this play offering even more potential.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do believe that the offense has the ability to score more points with better decisions from the QB. Better reads on when to keep the ball would be a solid start. 

I will be optimistic that it starts Saturday. 

While AB does have some success running, too often, it is obvious that a pitch to his RB would have resulted in a more successful play.

QB runs should result in easy yards and the QB should not be consistently getting pounded with little or no gain. At least I think that is what should happen. 

On 10/21/2021 at 11:06 AM, criticalduck said:

Why not a HC job at USC...OCs come here to pare down their offensive ingenuity...

When he was announced as Oregon’s OC I did a lot of studying of his offense, and he’s actually doing a lot more now than he was then. 

On 10/21/2021 at 11:02 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Thank you Coach.

Haha I’m not that qualified. 

On 10/21/2021 at 2:04 PM, Drake said:

I do believe that the offense has the ability to score more points with better decisions from the QB. Better reads on when to keep the ball would be a solid start. 

While AB does have some success running, too often, it is obvious that a pitch to his RB would have resulted in a more successful play.

QB runs should result in easy yards and the QB should not be consistently getting pounded with little or no gain. At least I think that is what should happen. 

I agree that he has needed to make some better decisions on these speed options. And I think we’re seeing progress there. 

The two places you usually see struggles in the option game from QBs are when a QB leans too much on his own athleticism, and then QBs that always seem to hand off when he should be using his feet more. 

On 10/21/2021 at 11:26 AM, Coach Eric Boles said:

When he was announced as Oregon’s OC I did a lot of studying of his offense, and he’s actually doing a lot more now than he was then. 

So the reason for Oregon's stagnant offense is HC?...QB?...I'm hesitant to blame the players when it's a groundhog day offense for four years and...Herbert.

Remember Herbert's freshman year being thrown to the lions of purple? He was mauled by a stout D and looked pretty good. His next three years were very pedestrian, aside from the Pac12 championship game...

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/21/2021 at 5:46 PM, criticalduck said:

So the reason for Oregon's stagnant offense is HC?...QB?...I'm hesitant to blame the players when it's a groundhog day offense for four years and...Herbert.

Remember Herbert's freshman year being thrown to the lions of purple? He was mauled by a stout D and looked pretty good. His next three years were very pedestrian, aside from the Pac12 championship game...

I know some folks believe that Coach Cristobal tells his OCs what to run. I don’t believe that. The style difference between Coach Moorhead’s and Coach Arroyo’s offenses is great enough that I don’t buy that. 

Something that strikes me, and I’m not saying this is you, is that I’ve heard people talk about Coach Kelly’s Bruins offense in a good light, and deservedly so, but the Oregon one poorly. The two offenses are identical statistically. I think the irritating thing is inconsistency. If we were just more consistent in our execution, I think we’d be the top offense in the league. 

Also, I would argue that Justin Herbert looked best in Coach Taggart’s offense. 

Edited by Coach Eric Boles

On 10/21/2021 at 4:28 PM, Coach Eric Boles said:

The two offenses are identical statistics wise. I think the irritating thing is inconsistency.

And that's on the players. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Can you imagine Hebert in this offense based upon the amount of running AB is doing?  Hebert probably would have pitched the ball more often ( CJ at the end of the half at Stanford) and easily progressed through the reads better.

On 10/21/2021 at 11:04 AM, Drake said:

He did pitch more last week.