30Duck

The Offense? It Is What It Is

Great article !

Thanks for the link.

Check down Brown is missing open receivers downfield.  I don’t think it’s play calling, that’s holding back this offense. 

Edited by Southwest Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

Herbert was told not to run, and Brown is being told not to throw the longer ball. 

Herbert finally began to run when the season was coming to an end, not sure Brown will start to throw as the season progresses. Herbert could and can run, not sure Brown can make the passes he isn't trying.

The scary part is no one on the roster is better than a guy who, obviously, can't make the passes most qb's have to make? I hope it is just that Cristobal is waiting until one of the young guys is ready to light it up, and nothing until then.

5ra0ik.gif

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 6:50 AM, Haywarduck said:

not sure Brown will start to throw as the season progresses.

I think this is a big part of the "problem". I don't think AB is confident that he can lead a team on drives incorporating downfield passes. He certainly isn't going to, "lead them open" or throw to the back shoulder, a pass farther than to a RB in the flat is out of his comfort zone. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think it is just confidence, Anthony saw what happened to Tyler when he started throwing interceptions. I am sure he has been told, not to take the risk, and has seen the result of taking risks on the Oregon Football team when you are the qb, the bench.

The coaches love AB statistics so far. Make the conservative choice, even if it is the wrong choice, and you get kudos. Make the aggressive choice and the coaches, Cristobal especially, go nuts.

5raeos.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/21/2021 at 9:50 AM, Haywarduck said:

Herbert was told not to run, and Brown is being told not to throw the longer ball. 

Herbert finally began to run when the season was coming to an end, not sure Brown will start to throw as the season progresses. Herbert could and can run, not sure Brown can make the passes he isn't trying.

The scary part is no one on the roster is better than a guy who, obviously, can't make the passes most qb's have to make? I hope it is just that Cristobal is waiting until one of the young guys is ready to light it up, and nothing until then.

5ra0ik.gif

And Spencer Rattler was better than Caleb Williams? The starting QB at Florida is better than the guy who replaced him and led 4 scoring drives in a row against LSU?

Is an athletic QB who is an accurate passer with a strong arm a fit for the system Oregon is running on O? A guy who will take a chance on 50/50 balls and throw into tight windows? A guy who can keep plays alive when things as called break down?

It was only the spring game but I saw plenty of talent and athleticism from all 3 back up QBs. These 3 are playing against the same guys in practice as they did in the spring. Why except for being coached down, would they look worse today than in the spring?

I believe it was a very dedicated, intelligent Ducks fan who labeled Mario's O as being designed to play 'prevent offense?' Sounds to me like Moorhead has bought into and needs to defend the system of 'prevent offense?.

The fans do not expect the team to score on every possession. But they certainly and reasonably believe that the team should score far more often against light weight opponents.  

Didn't this O go on a 99 yard drive in Columbus against the then #3 and now #5 ranked team in the country?

When excuses come from the top how do you expect the guys underneath will play? This take by Moorhead seems to me to be a failure in leadership? If the OC is OK with not scoring on every position why shouldn't the players be OK with the same?

Is anyone coaching these kids up? Other than the guy who coaches Camden Lewis.

• Thumbs Up 2

“We’re never going to reach the standard that we set for this offense,” Oregon offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead said. 

What???  If they can't even reach their "standards" how in the world are they going to reach their "goals."

Misspoke? Fair enough. But if he meant to say "goals," that brings up the question of why set completely unachievable goals? What's the point? It's a meaningless activity. And why would anyone buy-in to make believe goals? They won't. It's just a joke. And if that's a window into the coaching staffs' thought processes, it reveals a lot. None of it good. 

This team is capable of playing better. 

The teams capped with AB. If a 6 year QB can't see the field then start someone that has the chance to earn how.

So it appears that the two top guys running the team have very little confidence in their QBs and their offense?  How should we feel as fans?  Well Im giving a big BOOOOO! to that.

The team that isn't AFRAID TO LOSE is the team that is destined for good things. This offense has reached its maximum capability and it looks like Cristobal knows this; hence the conservative play calls, the trying to run the game clock out with 3 quarters left to play.

If these coaches were shooting for true greatness they would have given Ty first team reps during the bye week and told him not to be afraid to throw and INT if we put you in against Cal. They should have given AB one half to do his thing and Ty the other half. Let him go out there and run with the first team and start building the chemistry now.

If Georgia stays on course then Oregon faces the toughest defense in the country right out of the gates. No Fresno State, no Stony Brook to get some kinks worked out. Ty needs to get his feet wet while he still can.

Again, the team that isn't afraid to lose is the one destined for good things. Take a look about 40 miles to the north and tell me that is a team trying to cling on to a 7 point lead for 4 quarters. Jonathan Smith calls games looking to expose an opposing defense and then completely take advantage of them. Sure his QB will toss an interception but that offense just keeps rolling and rolling; knowing the explosive plays will come together.

#freetythompson #letjoeloose

Yep. The internal mess with Oregon football is really there. We have seen the evidence too many times to not start believing our lying eyes.