Charles Fischer

New? Better Read This! Banning, Quitting, Deletions and DRAMA at the OBD Forum

I could not believe what was happening...was this a revolt? I had to get up twice in the last week in the middle of the night to delete posts and ban the OBD forum member--which is something I almost never do on the first offense. (One is permanently banned and the other is suspended for a week) I hadn't banned anyone since March, and that was only one, but two in this last week?

I've deleted six posts within a few days when I went seven months of deleting only two? New members quit and remove their profile when approached the first time about a violation? Two political posts removed within 24 hours when we survived COVID articles with a couple hundred posts with no casualties in the past?

What in the WORLD is going on?  I was befuddled, confused and frustrated with such a torrent of bad behavior that I had to deal with behind the scenes. (That you never see, thankfully)

I began to look at the analytics of the forum and realized that this is actually good news? The number of page views between FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks (OBD) forum were double our best with FishDuck in the past when we had been in the Top 1% of all active sites in the World. You see, we have over 2,500 posts written already in October and a 1% deletion rate would have been 25 deletions, but all these deletions have only been half that.

So while our number of deleted posts have gone up--the half-of-1% deletion rate remains; I have more to contend with because we have so many more posts than before!

Are you NEW?  Better Read THIS!

OBD is not like any forum you have been on, and you better read the rules.  Not only do we insist upon civilized behavior, we read every post and enforce the rules immediately.  Break the rules? You will hear from ME. Leave in a huff because I dared to suggest you have to operate with decorum? I will not chase you, as I would rather have fewer people of quality than tons of Trolls.

But fewer members is not the reality...in the first 20 days of October we had signed up 89 new members of the forum beyond the hundreds that were on it before. So I am fine with sorting out those who wish to be mean to others, because I serve the 99.50% of the members here who want the culture maintained.

Are you sincere about being a part of this amazing community? We welcome you and your opinions--and do consider helping us out.  I provide the platform at no charge to you, so everyone else do your part too!

Long-Time Member? Read THIS...

You have my promise to keep our GREEN REFUGE pure, as we have four moderators (and I) who are dedicated to having fun in the forum and preserving what we have. You will not have to read the awful posts that the moderators have hidden and I've deleted--and the ensuing nasty back-and-forth arguments I have in emails with a few of these incorrigible individuals. 

I am your classic Duck swimming; cruising along above, but paddling madly below.  Bottom line is that I will adjust my attitude and manage the new growth we have without compromising the amazing debates and discussions we have among us.

The Best is Yet to Be!

Wood Duck 2.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Charles

Thank you for your devotion to keep this forum civil. Both sites are my safe haven. All the writers, contributors and commenting members IMHO provide thought provoking views. Not anger provoking views.

No football conversation is allowed in our house. My wonderful, amazing wife is the daughter of a 30 year plus high school football coach. She had to eat, sleep, drink and withstand an onslaught of football during the fifties, sixties and seventies. To her, it seemed that every time she commented or asked a question her thoughts were rammed down her throat by her father. Her star football QB brother was worse. No safe haven for her.

I RESPECT her life long feelings and am so glad for this forum. And thankful you and your team give those less informed or football savvy a safe home to express. 

Wish someone had done the same for my wife......

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

It's a cliche´,  but the internet has allowed us to become our worst selves if we want to be. I certainly can be.

On the forum though, I always try to write as if I were in the room with everyone else, face to face.

Anonymity and the lack of consequences are, for many people, the curse of the web.

On 10/22/2021 at 8:40 AM, jrw said:

It's a cliché,  but the internet has allowed us to become our worst selves if we want to be.

jrw....I've given a lot of thought to this--since it is the premise of what I offer people respite from.

At times recently, I would blame the terrible behavior on the web to Social Media, and then to the divisive political climate of recent years.  But when I think back to long before Social Media and the political divisions--I recall how people on message boards were still horrible to each other.  More of Social Media and Politics has not necessarily escalated the nastiness on their own.  

It comes down to what you wrote whether 20 years ago or now:  "Anonymity and the lack of consequences are, for many people, the curse of the web."  Those two elements will always remove the sense of responsibility to others, and bring out the worst in each of us.

And that....is why the need for a GREEN REFUGE will never go away.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/22/2021 at 7:34 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Thank you for your devotion to keep this forum civil. Both sites are my safe haven.

It is my mission, and THANK YOU for those words.

Mr. FishDuck