webfootfan

Armchair Coaches?

ok, for all of you armchair coaches, what the heck  on AB's last interception...did moorhead actually call for that long play on 2nd and 8 when we were needing to run out the clock?   Am i that lousy of an armchair coach that i was screaming....WHY???????

Also, whose responsibility to let the on field coaches  know when we made a 1st down and a replay would clearly show it?  Instead of 1st down it was 3rd?

seriously want to know thoughts on those 2 plays? 

My guess is it's on Mario.  Look at the Stanford game, no Moorhead to blame on 2nd and 18.  With the game on the line, you guys shouldn't act surprised at Mario trying to hand the game over in the waning minutes.  That's his M.O.  His game clock management is getting worse.

Edited by DuckIt
  • Thumbs Up 1

I cant see ANY coach in that situation calling a pass play on 2nd down--maybe 4th down when the game is on the line.

On 10/23/2021 at 6:29 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I cant see ANY coach in that situation calling a pass play on 2nd down--maybe 4th down when the game is on the line.

The Chipper would have called that okay every time. Make it and you put the game away. Defense is expecting the run. 

• Like 1

webfootfan...I think you are quite right.  One more first down makes it almost impossible for the Bruins to come back.  Make two first downs and the game is over.  The throw was....not a great decision, and yes, almost cost us.  

Oregon has an army of advisors and consultants and how none of them let the coaches know on that 1st down made--I do not know.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Chip Kelly is a gambling man.  I told my friend while watching the game, "I bet you Chip goes for it."  It was 4th down and 2 on UCLA's own 35 yard line.  Although they did not fake the punt, I instantly had a flashback to the championship game against Auburn.

Edited by DuckIt

We looked bad first quarter, then went on 34-3 run, and almost gave it away again.  Clock management and some of the play calls, not so sure about.  Turnovers and penalties almost undid us again. Thank goodness for the take-aways.  

What's up with Miami's uniforms, did they lose a bet in the loss to Syracuse??

We will be #8 this week, will we beat Colorado at home 63-0 like a top 8 team should?

On 10/23/2021 at 7:03 PM, JDuck said:

We will be #8 this week, will we beat Colorado at home 63-0 like a top 8 team should?

I could see getting to 8, but can’t imagine this offense scoring 63.

I imagine Cristobal will start playing prevent offense once up by 17.

• Haha 2

4 quarters of that 34-3 offense we glimpsed would easily come close.

Dang, that was some uplifting stuff to watch, for a bit!

• Thumbs Up 2

In addition to the game clock management getting worse is the handling of AB. Why at that stage of the game would you put any receiver past 20 yards when chance for success statistics clearly show the percentage drop off that it does?

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't resist this chance to be an armchair coach. The first play that I found frustrating was the coaching decision to go for it on 4th and 2 in the first quarter with the ball well within field goal range. How many times are we going to leave points on the field only to have those points come back and haunt us later in the game? When will Cristobal learn??

I also agree that the last pass AB lofted into the end zone that was easily picked off in the 4th quarter was a play that shouldn't have even been called at that juncture in the game, especially considering that Oregon was leading and in field goal range. The objective should have been to safely run the ball again to eat up as much clock as possible and then kick the field goal.

That all said, it was a great win for the Ducks against a good team on the road. KT#5 is a force of disruption, and Travis Dye has become the money man in the red zone. I was glad he yelled for a running play right before he scored his first TD. DJ James final interception was a thing of pure beauty. He's come a long way from his bone headed air rifle incident. Go Ducks !!

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 2