Annie

What They're Saying Nationally about Chip Kelly

Thank you Annie.

I say that holding the Bruins rushing attack to 110 yards speaks for itself.

91 plays defended. 14 tackles for loss. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/24/2021 at 11:48 AM, Jon Joseph said:

91 plays defended.

Credit to the defense... That's a lot of plays they needed to defend. 

Again the 2 turnovers in the fourth made it super tough on the defense. 

However, the offense was pretty efficient at times which also led to more time for the defense to be on the field. 

We got a nice glimpse of what this team really can be... Just need it to all come together.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

Hmmm, one of the greatest offensive minds in football on the hot seat. I don't have a problem with what they are saying about Chip, he is 15-24 while at UCLA. I do wonder what they would be saying if he was 31-11. 

Last time UCLA had a coach with that kind of winning percentage they won the National title, back in the 50's. Since then they have had 4 national coach of the year winners. They have had numerous other awards,  a Heisman winner,  two Outland trophy winners, and lost of success. They have also struggled for decades trying to get a coach who can lead the program.

I think they would be pretty happy. Great question about what they are saying, but the bigger question is what is happening right at home. It is great to reflect against one of the tougher critical media areas.

They also had one great coach retire, and multiple great coaches leave the program for better jobs before the recent mess.

I like that the talking network heads got their Chip Kelly narrative shoved down their Arrogant wind pipes. 

CK and his staff got out coached and out played. MC and his staff won the day.

Ucla  defensive game plan was to stack the box and force Ab and the offense to beat them through the air. Credit to the players executing the coaches game plan. CK and his staff couldn't or didn't make the adjustments. 

The Oregon defensive game plan was brutal on DTR. He got hit, hit again and then hit some more. From every direction. They dared DTR to beat him with his harm. Might gave happened if he hadn't been hit hard one last time. CK admitted they threw everything at KT. They couldn't stop him. When they did multiple other players hit him.

CK is on the hot seat because as Hayward duck said his record is 13-24. I sure wouldn't want him coaching at Oregon again. Why because our coach and his staff out coached the Bruins staff.

MC, his staff and players won the day ......

• Thumbs Up 4

I hardly would call that outcoaching the other team.  In terms of containing the run, yes, Oregon's D did a good job, but the Ducks did not win this game decisively.  If these two teams were to meet again, it would still be a toss up.  The Ducks got punched in the mouth early, and the defense looked unprepared and disorganized, on UCLA's first TD.  Fortunately, the Ducks were able to settle in, after being down 14, and AB was able to find his groove, throwing the ball.  I will say this though, the D-Line dominated in the trenches and wreaked havoc the rest of the game, pressuring the QB. I also saw more blitzing.

Nevertheless, this was yet another nail-biter that went down to wire.  Oregon's offense coughed up two interceptions on their last two possessions that led to UCLA, having one last shot to steal the game.  The Ducks beat them, because the talent won out.  With the best roster in the Pac 12 and more playmakers than the Bruins, the Ducks did what they were expected to do which was win. 

If you look at UCLA's recruiting class for the last three years, they had a grand total of 1 recruit, rated higher than .9221.  Compared to Oregon's class average rating of .9236, UCLA's average rating, for their 2021 class, was .8754.  So basically, this was a 4 star team, with some 5 stars sprinkled in, playing a 3 star team, with some 4 stars sprinkled in.  From that perspective, UCLA played up to the Oregon's level.  Of course, the Oregon faithful will argue that we have been playing down to our competition.

No question, KT was the best player on the field again.  Without him, we probably lose this game, because he impacted this game in so many ways.  I could see that DTR was playing scared and threw the ball away early on a couple plays.  He must have thought he heard footsteps and panicked, because there wasn't a defender within 5 yards of him.  You know which player brought on that panic attack... Good ol' #5.  Although, most QBs would probably wet themselves, with Sewell rushing them.

Can you imagine if we had this seasoned KT, for Oregon's two trips, to the Natty?  It's fun to think about him terrorizing Cardale Jones and Cam Newton, on the biggest stage.

On 10/25/2021 at 7:07 PM, DuckIt said:

In terms of containing the run, yes, Oregon's D did a good job, but the Ducks did not win this game decisively.  If these two teams were to meet again, it would still be a toss up.

What made it a close game were some unforced errors by Brown. Errors I hope he doesn't make a habit of repeating. Otherwise it would have been a decisive win. 

Granted unforced errors are part of the game and credit to UCLA for capitalizing on them in a big way and making it a close game. Also players getting hurt from being tackled too much is part of the game as well... so KT taking down DTR which forced a Freshman into the game who threw the game closing pick is also part of the game. 

These two teams could see each other again in the Pac-12 Championship game. I don't think it is terribly likely but it is possible. 

True but that goes both ways.  UCLA had their fair share of turnovers.  If you argue that the coaches shouldn't have called those passing plays on those downs, then did the coaches really put their team in a position to win or lose?

Edited by DuckIt

I can never credit MC for outcoaching any team, just by the way he has been mismanaging the final drive, on offense.

Edited by DuckIt
  • Thumbs Up 1