Charles Fischer

Mario Scolds Fans: "No More Booing at Autzen"

Then how do we get through to you Mario(Although it appears that we did?)

You are paid over 4 million a year to produce results....results we have witnessed so many times over the years from other coaches. Are your goals less? 

Are you exempt from the judgment that every football coach has?

Too bad you started this discussion on a day of celebration...

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Jeebuss--Booing is a part of the game just like cheering. How many times has the crowd at Autzen messed up opposing offenses with its very loud crowd noises? Its all apart of the game. When we are not happy we are going to tell you! when we are happy we are going to tell you. lighten up Francis.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My take, he said, 'what do we want to be know for?' booing players or supporting our team?

Oregon has the best fans, intelligent, but are they able to be empathetic and patient? 

I know as a parent of a high level athlete, it is important to understand the process each athlete and coach is going through with grace and understanding. I don't like the booing, or the look on our program. My take, for what it is worth.

I will also say I didn't support the decision to start Anthony Brown at the start of the season. I thought he was just a 'place holder' as the real competition happened below him, and have stated that many times. I still don't like the idea a transfer is leading our program, and not that well. I work every game to find enjoyment in his struggles and process in becoming our qb.

In the end, I accept him as a Duck, and support him all the way. I do the same with the coaches, but feel the observations and criticisms are more valid. Boo the coaches decisions, but not the players, ever. 

I don't like the look on our program, but I suppose we live in a different time, and this outlook isn't ever going to take over. I will say I can accept our players, coaches as they are, much easier than the fans who boo.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Boo a 6-1 team? Why?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

When a college student is told by a 40-some year old guy to "don't do that."  What do you think they are going to do?

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Cristobal is 100% correct, what a great leader, for having the courage to call the fans out.

In my opinion, fans have the right to boo, but it only hurts the team.

It hurts recruiting, it hurts player performance, and it just may drive Cristóbal to another program. 

Edited by Southwest Duck
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

On 10/24/2021 at 9:46 AM, Haywarduck said:

My take, he said, 'what do we want to be know for?' booing players or supporting our team?

Oregon has the best fans, intelligent, but are they able to be empathetic and patient? 

I know as a parent of a high level athlete, it is important to understand the process each athlete and coach is going through with grace and understanding. I don't like the booing, or the look on our program. My take, for what it is worth.

I will also say I didn't support the decision to start Anthony Brown at the start of the season. I thought he was just a 'place holder' as the real competition happened below him, and have stated that many times. I still don't like the idea a transfer is leading our program, and not that well. I work every game to find enjoyment in his struggles and process in becoming our qb.

In the end, I accept him as a Duck, and support him all the way. I do the same with the coaches, but feel the observations and criticisms are more valid. Boo the coaches decisions, but not the players, ever. 

I don't like the look on our program, but I suppose we live in a different time, and this outlook isn't ever going to take over. I will say I can accept our players, coaches as they are, much easier than the fans who boo.

On 10/24/2021 at 9:46 AM, Haywarduck said:

Since the booing at the Cal I have heard references to it on all sorts of national tv and radio sports shows. I don't think it's a good "look" for the fans or the program. The booers may feel that they are booing play calls and/or the coaches, but it sure comes across as booing the players, and I think that's what upsets MC. I'm sure he wonders how possible recruits might feel about it. I boo only the refs, something even Miss Manners says is okay as an acceptable part of attending a sporting event.

I'm against booing in general. I don't even boo the opposing teams when they enter the stadium. Tepid applause, yes. Booing. No.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

On 10/24/2021 at 9:57 AM, Southwest Duck said:

Cristobal is 100% correct, what a great leader, for having the courage to call the fans out.

In my opinion, fans have the right to boo, but it only hurts the team.

It hurts recruiting, it hurt player performance, and it just may drive Cristóbal to another program. 

Fans have been booing a lot in Ga over the last few years and look at them now. Hands down the very best team in college football.

I will say this --booing isnt a great part of sports but its  better than losing your fan $$$$$$--just ask any Athletic Director, Tv Network or anyone that advertises on game time.

I agree with Haywarduck.  AB was not my first choice as starting QB.  I would have prefer him to be the backup QB instead.  But he is the starting QB.  If it wasn't for a few bad decisions he played very well in the UCLA game.  Towards the end of the game and Oregon was moving well down the field, I would have preferred them to either ran the ball or made short passes to take more time off the clock and then try to score with a TD or FG.

I never agree to the home team to be booed by their own fans.  I feel it's counter productive.  The team feeds off of the atmosphere, it should always be positive spurring them on, not negative.  Just my opinion.  

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

They were booing for cause, Mario, Do you want Oregon fans who just sit back and watch the games go by, or do you want a fan base that is invested in how the team, and coaches, are performing,  I'm a Duck fab going on 53 years, I'm not "spoiled" by success.

Sometimes the "numbers" can tell you how a team is doing, sometimes it is the "EYE TEST". For 2021 Oregon, both tell the story. Overall, this is an underwhelming 6-1 team, led by an underwhelming QB. Against Ohio State he did not have the INT's that he had against UCLA,  He is playing better on the road than he is at Autzen. That's on him, you and the rest of the team.

The Oregon fans I know bleed green and yellow, remember players and plays from years ago, you won't find fans who care more about their team anywhere. And, because we care, we will let you know about it.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 2

On 10/24/2021 at 9:48 AM, Charles Fischer said:

When a college student is told by a 40-some year old guy to "don't do that."  What do you think they are going to do?

I don't think you say anything, you lead, and give them the look. If they ask, you tell them 'that isn't the way it is done at Oregon.' I think even college students are looking to the adults on how to react, and it isn't just the college students who are booing and showing poor sportsmanship.

Just like a drunk belligerent college student who is on his way to the game. You tell his buddies get control of that kid, not the way we do it at Oregon.

As adults we don't get drunk and act like idiots at the game, and if there is an adult doing that you put a stop to it.

I can, again, agree to disagree, but that will drive me away from the program faster than a coach struggling, along with his players. They are giving it their all, fans are just coming across as entitled. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

BTW, I think "scold fans" in the topic title is a bit misleading--MC was asking (pleading with) fans not to boo. And as I said earlier, I think he doesn't like that the booing comes across as booing the players. I don't think he's saying he's exempt from judgment. I knew a guy (former H.S. football coach) who used to write 3-4 page letters to Duck head coaches. I remember when fans who sat in the section behind the team used to try to send down suggested plays to the coaches during the game! Coaches are used to being scolded. But I think the vast majority object to players being booed.

Fans do not boo flippantly; they do it after watching repeated blunders over three years.  It took a TON to get Autzen booing, Mario--ever think about that?

You know....the solution is pretty simple, and it doesn't have anything to do with the fans...

Mario Cristobal_Pac-12 Video.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/24/2021 at 10:09 AM, Annie said:

BTW, I think "scold fans" in the topic title is a bit misleading--MC was asking (pleading with) fans not to boo.

I am going to politely disagree.  

“Hey, no more booing at Autzen. I don’t want to hear that sh**," Cristobal said on a video ESPN posted to its Instagram page.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/24/2021 at 10:11 AM, Confused said:

Good!

Naw.  I don't want him to leave, but get better--as has been discussed so much here.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/24/2021 at 10:13 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I am going to politely disagree.  

“Hey, no more booing at Autzen. I don’t want to hear that sh**," Cristobal said on a video ESPN posted to its Instagram page.

And I will politely say that I think he doesn't want to hear it, because he thinks it's directed at the players. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I hate booing. I think it's bush league and classless. And I'll stick with old adage "the ends don't justify the means."

Edited by OregonRich
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Football is a very BRUTAL sport. Ive never seen anybody physically hurt by booing. Ive sure seen a lot of coaches put players in games that got terribly injured-sometimes permanently. Booing is the least of their problems 

• Thumbs Up 1

When my son looked flippant on the field, he always has a very good reason. Bottomline he came across flippant, didn't help the team, the refs went against him, the coaches don't like it and I could go on. This is how I explained it to him, and have brought him along.

The same thing with booing. The fans, mostly, have a very nuanced reason to boo and call for Thompson to play. The outcome isn't what they desire. The players don't like it, the recruits aren't seeing the family Cristobal talks about and the energy at Autzen isn't ideal for the magic we all want. 

I think the fans should really reflect on what the outcome of their booing is. I know that isn't probably going to happen, but it is all about the outcome.

Right now the outcome is 6-1, top ten in the nation. When the fans boo that outcome, which is what the rest of the nation sees, it isn't pretty.

• Thumbs Up 4

Mario Combustible has a very thin skin and a lot of anger behind that practiced veneer. As proof, his foolish request for fans to stop booing which is majoring in minors. He sets the team up against the fans while not being able to reach deeper--that most boos were meant for him and some of his staff.

The smart coach would have taken yesterday's win as the perfect opportunity to put the Cal game behind EVERYONE by just praising fans, especially those who travel, and get over it.

However, this is a coach, along with his asst. coach, who can't let a call go and both have temper trantrums on national TV. 

• Thumbs Up 5

On 10/24/2021 at 10:18 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Football is a very BRUTAL sport. Ive never seen anybody physically hurt by booing. Ive sure seen a lot of coaches put players in games that got terribly injured-sometimes permanently. Booing is the least of their problems 

All the more reason, in my opinion, to respect their process. These guys are putting their physical health on the line, AB has been through two surgeries which will impact him the rest of his life, and we boo, really!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

I don't know how much season tickets cost(I'm sure it's a pretty penny), but I think that investing that amount of money in a product allows the consumer to voice their approval/disapproval.

• Thumbs Up 3

One other aspect of this is the Duck players see Cristóbal defending them. You know they all saw the video.   This will fire them up and play harder for him.  A great leader takes the heat for his players.

So great to see this!!   

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/24/2021 at 10:25 AM, Haywarduck said:

All the more reason, in my opinion, to respect their process. These guys are putting their physical health on the line, AB has been through two surgeries which will impact him the rest of his life, and we boo, really!

Ill just agree to disagree--I think fans have a right to their opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm done with this topic, I can agree to disagree, but this is a very serious topic I wish all would reflect on.

I can even agree with the criticism of Cristobal and this quote. He has thin skin, shouldn't have brought it up this way, at this time, on and on.

I can't agree defending those who reflect badly on the program or the outcome we all want.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2021 at 10:28 AM, Southwest Duck said:

One other aspect of this is the Duck players see Cristóbal defending them. You know they all saw the video.   This will fire them up and play harder for him.  A great leader takes the heat for his players.

So great to see this!!   

with all thats said a coach has the right to defend his team 

On 10/24/2021 at 10:28 AM, Southwest Duck said:

So great to see this!!   

Exactly, the outcome is the players playing for each other, the coaches, and against the opponent and the fans. Again unintended consequence, but a completely misdirected fanbase, and short lived as the negative impact will be felt.

• Thumbs Up 1

Booing reflects badly on the team? Nahh. It's all been overblown.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I was at the game, I would have been booing. But I would have been booing the coaching, not the players. 

I'm fed up with watch Mario's press conferences. He throws out so much jargon:  next man up, we need to execute better, we need to coach better. Why not be honest and say we've had a lot of injuries and are playing second and third string players. Admit that the second and third string players are not as ready to contribute as the first string. That's why they aren't on the first string, right? Admit that they are learning on the job and will make mistakes. You can want "next man up" but you wont get it unless the next man is as good as the one they are replacing. 

Mario, fans are asking you to play one of the freshmen QBs because we don't believe you when you say AB gives us the best chance to win. We were up by 17 pts in the 4th quarter at UCLA. Why not put in one of the freshmen QBs and give us a chance to see what you are seeing?

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/24/2021 at 10:37 AM, DimpleDucks said:

I dont think any of us want to hear booing, we want to hear cheering. I think Oregon fans want to cheer--so lets give em something to cheer about. The UCLA victory does just that.--For Now

I guess I should have refreshed instead of starting the same discussion...DOH!

84100.jpeg

Easy answer, Mario. Blow out a bad Buffs team from start to finish.

Have the team reay to play with the same enthusiasm it showed in LA.

• Thumbs Up 5

On 10/24/2021 at 10:37 AM, DimpleDucks said:

I totally agree with this. You want to hear booing go to a Jets game--but the fans pay big$$ year after year.

It's interesting that the booing has become national news. That likely means booing is not happening at the 120-something other schools in NCAA D-1 football.

Which means, to me, that there's something different about Oregon fans:  entitlement, inflated expectations, lack of awareness, whatever. But, whatever it is, to me it ain't pretty.

I watched Iowa get absolutely killed by Purdue and there was not a boo in the stadium from Iowa fans.

So, go ahead, Autzen fans, and boo your 6-1, 10th ranked team. It's your privilege. But, it makes you look class-less.

• Thumbs Up 1

At least we are not like Stanford and David Shaw- that can put out a very good team year after year with half the seats empty for just about every game.

In anything or everything in life we deal with the good and the bad. Autzen is one of the best venues in all of college football and I believe it will continue to be.

Does anyone remember Mike Gundy's "I'm a man" rant? He was sticking up for his player. I think Coach was doing the same. 

This is not about Cristobal being thin-skinned. The boos, as I understand it, were directed at Anthony Brown. Cristobal, to his credit, is being loyal to his players. 

It is hard to see how booing helps to motivate the players or encourages recruits to come to the U of O. 

• Thumbs Up 2

We should of been booing him when he held back Herbert but we didn’t. Coach up you QBs or expect the fans displeasure. We pay for the Wright.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/24/2021 at 10:27 AM, ICamel said:

I don't know how much season tickets cost(I'm sure it's a pretty penny), but I think that investing that amount of money in a product allows the consumer to voice their approval/disapproval.

I didn't boo myself but I am not upset at other fans doing so. I pay enough for tickets every year and I walked out of that game. The win against UCLA was nice, as Jon said, but it was only a point win by "the best" team in the Pac12.

Charles suggest that we reset our expectations of a MC coached team. It is true because if we are expecting anything more than a one score win against any team then our expectations are too high.

This is MCs best as a head coach...he has a winning record and appears he is "prevent" coaching.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2021 at 11:04 AM, criticalduck said:

only a point win by "the best" team in the Pac12.

I meant a one score win.

Man, after reading some of the comments, I gotta say that some of y'all take college football way too seriously. It's a game, played by kids, for our entertainment. Sure, we love getting into the details, and watching carefully, and learning about the game, and it gets emotional, but c'mon, cool down. It's just a game. And, getting angry and hyper-critical and demanding has absolutely no effect on how the team plays,  no matter how important we think our voices are. This is supposed to be fun, isn't it?

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I strongly suspect most of the booing last week was for the COACHES, not the players. And, during the UCLA game, Dye himself was heard screaming by the media at the coaches at one point, "RUN THE DAMN BALL!!!" when a third-and-inches situation popped up.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2021 at 10:27 AM, ICamel said:

I guess I just feel there are better ways to express disapproval than booing. Maybe write a letter to the coaches specifically about what that disapproval is for. Just a thought.

Yes, it takes more time and effort than booing, but it better defines the complaint. Yes, specifics are often detailed on places such as this forum, but the coaches aren't hopping from forum to forum reading the posts and therefore don't see the specifics, as they would in a letter addressed directly to them.

On 10/24/2021 at 1:16 PM, toketeeman said:

I strongly suspect most of the booing last week was for the COACHES, not the players. And, during the UCLA game, Dye himself was heard screaming by the media at the coaches at one point, "RUN THE DAMN BALL!!!" when a third-and-inches situation popped up.

But Dye wasn't booing. He was being specific. 🙂 And he wasn't part of an anonymous crowd in the stands.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I am probably as big a Duck homer as anyone, and I love to cheer and yell for good play as much as anyone.  I will also boo the refs at the drop of a hat.

If I  am treated to 4 Ps (plunge, plunge, pass, punt) 3 times in a row, you bet your @$$ I’m gonna boo.  Coming to these games is not a cheap investment, even when you get the cheap seats.  I pay for the right to cheer when I am pleased, and to boo when I am displeased.

I firmly believe the ONLY way a fan has to show displeasure is the boo.  I support Mario in most things, and think he is doing great things for our Ducks, but if you don’t like the boo’s, then coach the team to play up to the levels we know you can.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 10:47 AM, GODUCKS15 said:

Boo a 6-1 team? Why?

I wouldn’t boo, but they were 4-1 at the time and looking like the lesser team compared to a winless AZ. 

I think this booing thing has been blown way out of proportion. But that’s what the media does to make headlines. And at the Ducks expense, even better.  And we (and MC) play right into it. 

I was at the game (not booing) and while I didn’t like it, to my ears it wasn’t that big a deal. Happened twice on very poor play calling / execution / or combination thereof. After a pair of three-and-outs. We were 4-1 after a weak showing in beating AZ, and looking like we could lose this game.

I was certainly yelling “come on guys” that may or may not have added to the noise, but hey, at that point in time the Ducks were looking like s*^t.

Maybe AB got fired up by it and focused?  We’ll never know, but he certainly up’d his game. I love MC, but he is too stubborn to get it, IMO. He defends his players (good) but doesn’t accept / reflect that maybe it was partially or all directed at him for play calling.

Fans said their thing, MC said his, let’s leave it there.  Good win at the RB. This won’t be an issue going forward if we play hard, fast and finish. We have the coaching staff, players and facilities to win. Just do it. 

• Thumbs Up 3

It's obvious that after 8 days and a very rewarding victory against UCLA, that the booing was still on MC mind. We speak what is on our mind. 

To me that says alot and raises some questions:

What and how many discussions took place on the topic since the Cal game?

Did this bother or upset the players?

(Remember a good or great player can jump in that portal at anytime.)

Did recruits or their parents make comments about the booing?

(Remember the recruits game day experience is critical to their decision making process)

We're the coaches upset by the booing?

(All coaching staffs work hard to win. Not all win...look at Arizona. Must be very frustrating to be 2 time defending PAC 12 Champs, 6-1, ranked 7th and be discussing boos )

It's every paying customers right to voice their displeasure. I support that. But actions have consequences, both good and bad. Time will tell on this topic.

Go Ducks. Get that 3rd title in a row. This year, this season only happen once. It's yours for the taking...

I sure hate the way our society is changing. What happened to respect and civility?

I for 1 will never boo. I believe there is never a reason to do so. To me it's called sportsmanship. 

This is the first time I have heard boos in Autzen. It didn't look or sound good to me.