Charles Fischer

Mario Scolds Fans: "No More Booing at Autzen"

I don't know the answers to HappyToBeADuck's questions, but I do know that the talking heads on sports shows and even the game broadcasters brought up the subject of the booing. I'm hoping that since that Cal game is now more than a week behind us, that they will stop.

Annie

I hope the subject will be dropped. Guess we will find out this Saturday.

If Brock Huard mentions the booing or if the fans have reasons to boo (hope not) then it will be with us as long as we win out.

It's easier for Arrogant talking heads and lazy announcers to rehash negative than do quality research and analysis.

Go Ducks

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't like the booing, then do your job!  Everyone just assumes that booing was intended for AB, because it was followed with the chants for Ty.  However, I believe that a number of those boos were directed squarely at Mario.  It's his decision making that makes you question at times, is he even fit to be head coach? I believe both Mario and AB felt that they had something to prove and wanted to play the hero, fresh off the narrow victory against Cal and the booing.

Yesterday, Mario tried to give the game away again, like he did with Stanford.  Both AB's interceptions in the 4th quarter, were ill-advised throws, forced into double coverage.  I know that it was AB who missed those throws and not Mario, but Mario never should have put AB in that situation. If Mario understood the situation, with his team being up 3 and only needing to eat up the clock, he would have told his team to run the ball.  Instead, he pressured AB into another bad throw, when AB just threw an interception on the previous possession. 

Someone questioned, why didn't AB just throw the ball away?  Well, how many times this season, do you recall him just throwing the ball out-of-bounds on purpose?  I can't think of any offhand.  He is desperately trying win the approval of the fans and possibly, the NFL scouts, by making a play on every down.  He doesn't know how to lay down and live to fight another day.  He would rather take a sack or force a bad pass, than throw the ball away.  In that sense, both Mario's and AB's situational awareness SUCKS. 

I don't get Mario and his decisions to play or don't play the clock.  They make no sense.  When our offense is in rhythm and firing on all cylinders, with a comfortable lead, then Mario chooses to prematurely take his foot off the gas and go conservative, playing the clock, in the 3rd quarter.  This not only takes our offense out of the rhythm, it tires out our defense and allows our opponent to catch up.  Then, when the Ducks find themselves behind or with the game tightening and in need of a score, they can't generate it on command, because the offense, especially the QB, has gone cold.  Whereas, when our offense is sputtering and our QB is struggling to throw the ball, Mario chooses to go aggressive rather than milk the clock, with the lead.  In both the Stanford and UCLA game, the clock was our friend.  We had the advantage, but Mario surrendered our advantage to give the other team, one last opportunity to either tie or win the game.

Edited by DuckIt
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

I'm not a fan of booing your home team in their home stadium, but I understand that the booing that happened in the Cal game was directed at coaches who are intent on "shutting out the outside noise"; even though a lot of that "noise" is being made by the people whose support they depend on.

That said, I agree with Mr. FishDuck. It appears that booing is the only way fans are able to express their frustration and displeasure with the program to coaches who actively tune out the other avenues fans have to express their opinions.  

I'm also not a fan of coaches who throw temper tantrums directed at players and officials. I put it in the same category of booing as far as low class behavior. It shows poor leadership and a lack of self discipline in my humble opinion; two things that you'd hope your coach would be trying to model to his players.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2021 at 8:58 PM, DuckIt said:

both Mario's and AB's situational awareness SUCKS

BINGO! This is the mic drop comment of all these posts I just read. Situational awareness is the most important thing a coach (and a QB) can bring to the table to help a team win. Not sure why Coach's situational awareness skills seem to lack, especially considering his past training for law enforcement positions, but this is the BIG ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM folks. Dynamic situational awareness is what we need more of from Coach. 

Now as far as the booing goes. I don't like it, but I think it was earned the hard way through pig headed stubbornness. Really no other way to earn it in my opinion.

I do hope it stops though, mostly because I hope a good reason has been given to stop it i.e. the Ducks are rolling or Ty Thompson takes over the QB role.

The fans waited through 5-6 games before they started to boo (the coaches). That's definitely not impatience. That's a long-earned response.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm very torn.  I don't like thinking that the fans are booing AT the players,  but I think fans have EVERY right and need to express displeasure at coaches on occasion.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall Autzen booing a call to punt when they wanted to go for it. Or the swinging gate formation after the Nebraska debacle. (Have we seen it by the Ducks since?)

Certainly when a player shows classless display, they deserve to be booed.

At any rate, it happened. It was heard. I don't believe it needs to happen again this year. 

I find it amazingly ironic, though, Herbstreit was broaching the subject when Brown threw an interception. The 2021 Ducks are stranger than fiction.

Interestingly, Oklahoma fans booed and the Sooners won the game.

https://www.on3.com/college/oklahoma-sooners/news/kirk-herbstreit-reacts-to-oklahoma-sooners-quarterback-spencer-rattler-getting-booed-by-oklahoma-fans-call-for-caleb-williams/

So, I am torn as I don't like the booing. But I definitely can see the justification for it. But if we could vote,  I would like to save any booing for only the most extreme situations. And that list is very subjective.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have been a season ticket holder for the Ducks for 15 years.  This wasn't the first time the home fans booed the home team.  It won't be the last time.  However, it isn't a habit by the home fans by any means. 

I lived in Philadelphia and I have friends who still live there.  You want to talk about a tough home crowd, watch a season of their games.  Really, watch a season of any east coast professional team that isn't doing well.

There used to be a saying, you can't boo college athletes because they are not paid professionals.  Well, that is no longer the case.  They might not be deemed professionals, but they certainly are getting paid.

Booing isn't classless or poor sportsmanship.  It is part of the game.  It is up to each individual person on whether they choose to boo or cheer.

I'm not sure if the home fans will boo Mario again this season, but I'm leaning towards no.

We have seen this below, and I had to chuckle...

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I abhor anything that hurts my beloved Ducks.  And that includes booing. 

Those of you that think it helps the team in any way, you do not understand human motivation.  It only helps booing fans express their unmet expectations.  It, in fact, hurts the team and its coaches and players who are putting out more effort than 100% of the fans who are booing.  In my mind, booing is the adult version of infants screaming for their bankies.

On 10/24/2021 at 9:00 PM, latracey said:

That said, I agree with Mr. FishDuck. It appears that booing is the only way fans are able to express their frustration and displeasure with the program to coaches who actively tune out the other avenues fans have to express their opinions.  

Actually, people could sit down after the  game and write a letter to the coaches with specifics as to where they are aiming their displeasure. Booing leaves a lot open for interpretation, including that some might feel it was the players being booed.

I am going to lock this thread.  I locked another thread because someone there did precisely what we see above from Mudslide...and we DO NOT DO HERE.  You do not insult a group of people because you disagree with their view.  See No. 2 of the rules.

If you cannot make your point without denigrating others--then either don't post or I will delete and then ban all who attempt to.

Mr. FishDuck