FishDuck Article

2021 Duck Football: The Most Entertaining Oregon Team EVER?

Is this the most mysterious Oregon football team you have ever followed? So much talent, yet so much of yet unrealized. Coaching errors that are egregious, but some great coaching that brought about victories seen in the national spotlight. Key players hurt, but new stars are emerging … and I am trying to figure out seven games games into the ...

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

On 10/25/2021 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

s this the most mysterious Oregon football team you have ever followed?

Throw in baffling and bewildering, and you have it. 6-1 top 10, could win out and have a very strong case for the Playoffs, or could lose any of the games left on the schedule. Anthony Brown. I have no doubt, is out there giving it his all on every play, it doesn't always work out the way he, or we want it to, but them's the breaks.

KT , more than lived up to his billing on Saturday. He's going to make the fans of a horrible NFL team very happy next year. His presence on the field could have as much impact on the team since 2007 and Dennis Dixon. CJ Verdell goes down, but "Always Say Dye" steps up with a record setting 4 carries. four touchdowns in a row!  The DB's were great against UCLA, and their running game was shut down,

What kind of game do we get next week, at home, against Colorado?

• Thumbs Up 1

It's Forrest Gump's box of chocolates team for sure.

"Entertaining" ... depends upon your definition as there are plenty of other adjectives to describe what we witness each game.

If Joey's '01 team were the cardiac kids, this Duck team might be the "charge the paddles to 200 team".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

This 2021 team is very entertaining, however its like our 4 month old Scottish Terrier. Moments of oh that's awesome and wonderful. Then more moments of, no, no NO!

Or don't do that or don't go there.

AB is improving and it should be noted, in the last 2 games he is 49-67, 540 yards, 1 passing TD, 2-INTS. Wonderful, awesome and give us more. Then he throws across the middle. No, no please NO....

Nonetheless,  I am proud of his effort and boy he owns the bad. That's leadership. The Bruins took the run game away and put it on AB. The O line, talented receivers and AB executed. Love to see more of the same. 

Hats off to the in game adjustments that the DC and players are making after the first 2 drives of the last three games. Stanford, Cal and Ucla moved the ball and scored early. Then got shut down.

Of course late in the game the offense couldn't close the game out. Causing us fans to scream, yell, pound the table and literally exhaust our emotions. GEEZ.....

Charles, you are so spot on. We can go 12-1 and off to the Coloseum to face the 5 star gladiators. Or lose any game remaining. 

Above all we will be entertained by the 2021 Oregon Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/25/2021 at 6:24 AM, 30Duck said:

He's going to make the fans of a horrible NFL team very happy next year.

Early projections show Thibs going to Detroit, the Siberia of the NFL.  He could be working out in practice again versus...Penei Sewell!

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/25/2021 at 8:05 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Early projections show Thibs going to Detroit, the Siberia of the NFL.  He could be working out in practice again versus...Penei Sewell!

Oh god, anything but Detroit…

• Haha 1

Game day requirements for our 2021 BLD: bottle of extra strength Mylanta;  bottle of Scotch (well aged like yours truly:) heart monitor; bottle of Prozac. bottle of oxygen; soft objects to throw at tube; myriad Anglo-Saxon onomatopoetic words at the ready; ref voodoo dolls; small dog to kick. No adolescents allowed!

The Dye has been cast! We will cross the Rubicon, er, the Mississippi, to bear witness to Mario in Miami. Not as the coach of the U, but coaching Oregon on New Year's Eve in the Orange Bowl versus Georgia.

Joey's 2001 team was screwed out of playing Miami. Twenty years later the Ducks make a run for the title beginning in Miami.

1.UGA  2.Oklahoma 3.Ohio State 4.DUCKS!

For Navy Seals and Ducks Fans: No Easy Day.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/25/2021 at 8:05 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Siberia is actually full of life. I would say he is headed to the Antartica of the NFL. He will be playing with a bunch of penguins and the occasional Leopard Seal. Penei and Thibs may be the only Leopard Seals on that team, sad.

I look at the 2021 Oregon Football Team like the boxer with unlimited potential who can never put away an opponent, always going the distance, trying to win by the judges call. The 2001 team was the boxer who almost always got knocked down, but would come off the mat, and you could never count out.

The main characters who portray the 2021 boxer are Anthony Brown with the jab which just isn't strong enough or fast enough to really set up the devastating hook, played by Thibs. Mario, of course,  comes in as the trait this guy always drops his hands, gets hit, and puts the opponent right back in the fight. It wouldn't take much to keep the hands up, but maddeningly he can't learn that lesson. The rest of the team is just how amazing this fighter looks before and after the fight, he should put  anyone away, win the fight, get the belt and be the champion!  

This team, like the boxer described, has injuries and self inflicted injuries, but it just keeps going. I would argue he isn't as fun to watch as the guy who you can never count out. He is the boxer we are watching and oh the potential, just keep the hands up!

5rqkju.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/25/2021 at 6:43 AM, Steven A said:

It's Forrest Gump's box of chocolates team for sure.

"Entertaining" ... depends upon your definition as there are plenty of other adjectives to describe what we witness each game.

If Joey's '01 team were the cardiac kids, this Duck team might be the "charge the paddles to 200 team".

Turn it up to 11 

On 10/25/2021 at 9:14 AM, Haywarduck said:

I look at the 2021 Oregon Football Team like the boxer with unlimited potential who can never put away an opponent, always going the distance, trying to win by the judges call. The 2001 team was the boxer who almost always got knocked down, but would come off the mat, and you could never count out.

The main characters who portray the 2021 boxer are Anthony Brown with the jab which just isn't strong enough or fast enough to really set up the devastating hook, played by Thibs. Mario, of course,  comes in as the trait this guy always drops his hands, gets hit, and puts the opponent right back in the fight. It wouldn't take much to keep the hands up, but maddeningly he can't learn that lesson. The rest of the team is just how amazing this fighter looks before and after the fight, he should put  anyone away, win the fight, get the belt and be the champion!  

This team, like the boxer described, has injuries and self inflicted injuries, but it just keeps going. I would argue he isn't as fun to watch as the guy who you can never count out. He is the boxer we are watching and oh the potential, just keep the hands up!

5rqkju.jpg

Mickey Ward 

I'm in agreement with what has been said... I'm not sure "entertaining" is the right word. 

All I know is that I need a solid win this weekend. I don't think my heart can take more of these close games right now. I know, I'm one of the younger ones here and I'm complaining about my heart. 

I do think this team may finally be turning the corner though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/25/2021 at 8:22 AM, Pocketchange said:

Oh god, anything but Detroit…

It worked out really well for Joey...NOT.

I don't know if panic attacks and strokes are that entertaining.... 😓

• Haha 1

Entertaining.............................................if you like horror movies?

• Haha 1

No, not to me, they are not nearly as entertaining as the Thomas/Mariota led teams from the past decade. 

I so enjoyed the much smoother and even graceful play of the teams between 2009-2015.

That's okay though, I enjoy rooting for this team as well.....at least most of the time. 

The thing about this team is the frustration of knowing how much more talent is lining up compared with those teams, but without a stellar quarterback the rest of the talent is tempered if not even minimized.

Coach em up Coach. Do it by putting them in the game and giving them the ball. If they fail, pick them up and give them the ball again.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/25/2021 at 10:30 AM, C J said:

No, not to me, they are not nearly as entertaining as the Thomas/Mariota led teams from the past decade. 

Completely agree.  I will admit to being stumped as to what to call this crazy set of frustrations and joy...and as a publisher I am reminded to NOT place a question in the title that can be answered without reading the article. 

Tons of people are not reading it, and that is my fault with the title.  A shame, because there are some stats in there that I thought some members here would pounce on for discussion.

Mr. FishDuck

I also agree with CJ that the Thomas/Mariota teams were the most entertaining. They performed a lot more consistently on offense, defense, and in respect to coaching, and Thomas' brilliance and speed was electrifying to watch.

The best word for this year's Ducks is mystifying in an interesting way. They are filled with talent, yet unable to play above the level of any of their opponents. First and foremost, some of the coaching decisions have truly had me scratching my head. It seems that certain basic mistakes in clock management and play selection at given moments in the game would be digested and learned; only to reappear at key moments in subsequent games.

Case in point was the decision to loft the ball into the end zone into double coverage with 3 minutes left on the clock, a three point lead, for the 30 yard line, well within field goal range. UCLA only had one time out left at this point. It's an even more baffling decision when you consider who the quarterback is. Wasn't throwing the ball late in the game when a running play would have drained more precious time from the clock the other team needed every second of to win also a key issue in the Stanford game?

Also mystifying and frustrating to me is the lack of poise shown by Cristobal on the sidelines and in his comments to the media. Center stage temper tantrums directed at players and officials just aren't my thing. Discipline and poise under pressure, as was demonstrated by coaches like Bellotti, Kelly, Helfrich, and Jonathan Smith for that matter, is a much better look from my perspective.

Cristobal "doesn't want to hear that s...t" when it comes to fans booing his coaching decisions, but also points out that he doesn't pay any attention to the other ways fans make their frustrations known. One wonders if he realizes who is paying his 4 million a year salary and footing the bill for new practice facilities. It comes off as arrogant in a time when the program needs to be inviting and inclusive of fan support.

One wonders how much what we see along those lines is just the tip of the iceberg, and how that lack of discipline and poise translates to the problems Cristobal teams seem to have with penalties that end up killing drives on offense, or maintaining drives on defense time and time again.

6 wins and 1 loss. What's not to love? Fun to cheer for? You bet!! While I think the rest of the season will be exciting, this isn't the team that I think one can be rest assured about how things are going to turn out. I don't think for a minute any team left on the roster is going to be easy, especially Oregon State. Maybe that's what makes them one of the most interesting teams to follow.

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/25/2021 at 11:48 AM, latracey said:

Cristobal "doesn't want to hear that s...t" when it comes to fans booing his coaching decisions, but also makes points out that he doesn't pay any attention to the other ways fans make their frustrations known. One wonders if he realizes who is paying his 4 million a year salary and footing the bill for new practice facilities. It comes off as arrogant in a time when the program needs to be inviting and inclusive of fan support.

This is an extremely well thought out and written post, and yes I agree with it--but it is an example of so many posts I see from all of you on both sides of the issues.  I do love reading and learning from you all...

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/25/2021 at 11:48 AM, latracey said:

6 wins and 1 loss. What's not to love? 

I love the two wins. I don't love the four wins. The one loss was just aggravating.

In. other. words. my score card. has--

Great win:     1

Good win:     1

Ugly win:       4

Aggravating loss:   1

-- Howard Cosell

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/25/2021 at 6:24 AM, 30Duck said:

Throw in baffling and bewildering, and you have it. 6-1 top 10, could win out and have a very strong case for the Playoffs, or could lose any of the games left on the schedule. Anthony Brown. I have no doubt, is out there giving it his all on every play, it doesn't always work out the way he, or we want it to, but them's the breaks.

KT , more than lived up to his billing on Saturday. He's going to make the fans of a horrible NFL team very happy next year. His presence on the field could have as much impact on the team since 2007 and Dennis Dixon. CJ Verdell goes down, but "Always Say Dye" steps up with a record setting 4 carries. four touchdowns in a row!  The DB's were great against UCLA, and their running game was shut down,

What kind of game do we get next week, at home, against Colorado?

Yeah it's amazing, I was right up a few rows on the south side at the 30, saw Dennis Dixon go down right in front of us, knew right then, it was over.  He played at AZ the next week of course, but not for long.  Heismann an  Natty, literally, melted on the ACL of a single guy.  KT is that kind of difference maker, the pressure, constantly on the QB last 6 quarters, makes our back 7 better.  He should play the run or blitz every single down, just fake dropping into coverage maybe, but don't put KT into coverage.

So...most entertaining Duck team??? Tell that to the poor wall socket in my living room that I've been keeping the defibrillator plugged into.

The WR thing...can the young guys get better separation in man coverage than the 5th year senior starters?  Would that help AB any?  Less chance of a pick?  Love those veteran guys, hardcore Duck dudes, but seems like at least a couple of the high 4 star WR's should develop quicker?  Just an armchair defibrillator Duck pondering here...

Charles, yes and no.

If by entertaining you mean holding our attention, then I cannot think of another Duck team that allowed opponents to think they could beat us for the full 60 minutes every game.  So yes, this has been the most entertaining Duck team ever.

On the other hand, if you want entertaining to mean bringing pleasure, then no.  The 2014/15 Duck team that dismantled Florida State at the Rose Bowl gave many of us fans the most pleasure.

Edited by Duck1984

On 10/25/2021 at 12:04 PM, JDuck said:

So...most entertaining Duck team??? Tell that to the poor wall socket in my living room that I've been keeping the defibrillator plugged into.

Made me guffaw with that one!  And thanks to everyone who inject some humor into their posts--it makes all that much more fun.

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck