Charles Fischer

Cristobal about Devon Williams and Micah Pittman...

Question: You talked about how Devon has improved his practice and obviously again another week where he has the performance and production that he had. Speak to that and how he’s made that consistent now the last couple of weeks. Not just him, but Mycah has he done things not just on the field during games, but has he taken things differently in practice to get the product that he got because that’s I think near or close to a career-high by way of receptions.

Cristobal: "We’re going to keep pushing both those guys. I’m going to say that. They’re continuing to things in practice that are affording these opportunities, but there’s more in the tank. There more in the thank for both those guys. The expectation is full throttle every single day, having a determination to continue to improve and push themselves and their teammates to do whatever it takes to improve.

I want to stay along those lines, because I really appreciate these two guys. I know and I watch the potential and impact that they have and to me there’s more in the tank and we’ve got to get it out of them. I’m excited for them, about them. They’re great people. They’re on their way to being great players. I want to do nothing more than to challenge them and help them in any way that we can beach look, coach McClendon he doesn’t do a good job, he does a great job with those guys. We feel like every single week they’re getting better and better because we’re demanding their best, and we’ve got to keep doing it.

From 247 on interception in the end zone.  10/25/2021   Erik Skopil

it is real interesting to me to see what happens with these two receivers, but both, especially Williams, has been known to shine and then disappear.  Thoughts?

Devon Williams_Tom Corno.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Any disappearance of Williams has been due to play calling and/or QB play. He's constantly open and his effort is without question. His reaction to things that don't go his way however.... 

• Thumbs Up 2

Consistency is the most saught after quality in sports ... It is also the most difficult to achieve. 

If Pittman and Williams are getting consistent then that only means good things for Oregon's future. 

That consistency is also why Brown is still the starter even though everyone, including the coaches, knows that Thompson or Butterfield have way higher ceilings. Granted as fans we have been frustrated with just how consistently poorly Brown as played as well. 

Get them the ball!!

They are just now getting targeted by AB. Anything close they catch.

They'll produce more as they get a chance too.

Both these two have a shot on Sundays. 

Brown finally started going more vertical and coincidentally these guys started showing out. Proof that even with an average vertical game the playmakers will make things happen. Brown is only now starting to realize this. He doesn't need to be Herbert or even Shough with the long bombs that wind up being horribly overthrown.

Toss a 25 yard pass towards the boundary side and let Williams do exactly what he did (jump up and make the play). Go for 15 yards to Pittman pretty much anywhere in the field. The dude has already shown the lengths he'll go to in order to haul it in.

Pittman was taking 70 mph pitches to the chest 2 years ago. Put it close to him and let him do his thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/26/2021 at 11:16 PM, David Marsh said:

Consistency is the most saught after quality in sports ... It is also the most difficult to achieve. 

If Pittman and Williams are getting consistent then that only means good things for Oregon's future. 

That consistency is also why Brown is still the starter even though everyone, including the coaches, knows that Thompson or Butterfield have way higher ceilings. Granted as fans we have been frustrated with just how consistently poorly Brown as played as well. 

Geez, if they don't have higher ceilings, clear the QB room and start over!

• Thumbs Up 1

Like others have stated, it's all about getting opportunities. You can't make plays if you aren't fed the rock.

Does make you wonder a little though, about whether Williams has been impatient a few times and maybe rubbed someone (perhaps Cristobal or McClendon) the wrong way. 

Considering Dye called out the coaches at the goal line last week, it could be that some others have a bit too. That's interesting to me because it shows that there is a good chance they are seeing and feeling some of the same things the fans have. If it is the case then this could be a catalyst for change from Cristobal.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/27/2021 at 4:54 PM, Steven A said:

Geez, if they don't have higher ceilings, clear the QB room and start over!

I'd be shocked if they weren't. 

During fall camp there were some reports of just how good Thompson was in scrimmages and practices... But those were the highlights and the lowlights rarely make the practice reports. 

Though I do really look forward to seeing what these young guns can do when they get their chance.