Charles Fischer

Cristobal to Miami Speculation has Begun...

It is an interesting review of the Miami situation, and beating No. 18 North Carolina State helped the cause for Diaz, but he has a losing record.

Should Mario Cristobal Stay Or Leave Oregon? by Kerry Kauffman of Oregon Sports News

Dye 'splaining to Cristobal_Video.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

NOT HAPPENING. END OF STORY

• Thumbs Up 1

No Surprise, if a coach is good at all, he will be on these lists. Washington can't give Lake away.

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

This question begs the question, will a Saban type coach stay at Oregon or come to Oregon?

I say this because it seems most fans know exactly what a Saban type coach looks like and they will only accept this type of coach. The discussion about questioning, it seems, Cristobal's every move, the dramatic changes needed under Cristobal, who would we hire next and on and on happen too often. 

The main question which gets bandied about is who should Oregon hire next. Do we really think we can pick and get the next Nic Saban? 

I hope Cristobal, better than most fans, understands he is undergoing a longterm project. The hope is he can put it all together and win a national title. I think he probably understand this better than most, but does he think he can survive, or want to survive this process in Eugene?

He has said yes before, but is he still thinking this? We need to be critical in our analysis, I completely agree with this. I have been very critical at times, and frustrated too. We also have to be very clear in our support. Nobody wants to build something while it is continually being torn down. The last home game was, in my opinion, fans just tearing down the program. We need to be better than that, because we aren't doing better than what we got.

If you look at most programs, we will undoubtedly do much worse with a new coach, and just be another program trying to find the quick fix.

The trust and respect needed to build a program, we use to have, took decades, and was almost critically damaged in just a few bad moves. Brooks and Bellotti made lots of mistake on their way to building the program and learned a lot on the way.  I hope we don't make the same bad moves other programs have, I doubt we will have the same outcome we did with Cristobal, so quickly.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 3

Miami can help Diaz cause with a win at 17 Pitt on Saturday. Miami is +9. Do not forget that this Pitt team lost at home to W Michigan. And Pitt is coming off of a 'big' win vs Clemson.

Even if Miami wanted MC and even if MC was inclined to coach at his alma mater, the buy out is $9M. That's a big chunk of change for a private school without the vast # of alumni B1G schools have and without the passion of the SEC schools; especially, at the administrative level.

I think LSU is in a much better position to go after MC if it so desires? I see Miami as a parallel move at best. LSU is in a different place altogether than is today's U.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/26/2021 at 12:07 PM, Confused said:

I don’t think we can win a NC with him, or without his recruiting ability.   So there you go 

Agreed.  I want him to stay, but get better as a coach.  He's our only chance at a 'Natty....

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/26/2021 at 4:20 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Agreed.  I want him to stay, but get better as a coach.  He's our only chance at a 'Natty....

giphy.gif

Maybe? I believe there are other guys out there who could bring a Natty to Oregon? Would they leave jobs in financially secure conferences to come to the Pac-12?

On 10/26/2021 at 1:17 PM, Jon Joseph said:

the buy out is $9M

Jon....you are a great source of information.  You brought this up many times before, but I forgot.  I don't think MC has proven himself enough for LSU, and I agree with you--doubt Miami can buy him out.

And if Cristobal is annoyed at a few fans booing at Autzen?  Imagine how he would handle the ruthless fans of Death Valley?  Whew!

giphy.gif

And he WON a 'Natty!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/26/2021 at 1:30 PM, Confused said:

Maybe it’s better to be a Huskies fan?   Nice constant ride of disappointment.  No ups and downs that come with young high ranking recruits.  Just constant depression.  While being a Duck fan is like being Bi-Polar.  

That is epic.  Made me LOL!

Husky Fans_Pac12 Video.jpg

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

MC is obviously a driven man. He wants a winner and as of now he is at the perfect place in his career to do so. If he jumps ship he goes back to rebuilding another team. He is so close now that he can smell it. I think if his QB selections can play to their star potential he can win it all.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/26/2021 at 1:30 PM, Confused said:

Lol.     Maybe it’s better to be a Huskies fan?   Nice constant ride of disappointment.  No ups and downs that come with young high ranking recruits.  Just constant depression.  While being a Duck fan is like being Bi-Polar.  

Weren't they picked to go undefeated this preseason? The dawgs are the preseason darlings, much like the trojans down south, both at 3-4.

When MC goes to Miami, it will be to visit friends and family, then he'll return to Oregon, home of the DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 2:11 PM, Haywarduck said:

Weren't they picked to go undefeated this preseason? The dawgs are the preseason darlings, much like the trojans down south, both at 3-4.

😁

• Haha 1

You can only say yes if you also name who is the better coach who will come to Oregon. No more, "Coach Some-Other-Guy".

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/26/2021 at 6:18 PM, jrw said:

You can only say yes if you also name who is the better coach who will come to Oregon. No more, "Coach Some-Other-Guy".

Better? I can't say that for certain. Equal? Lane Kiffin, Dave Aranda, PJ Fleck, Dave Clawson (sp?), Mark Stoops, Bryan Harsin, Matt Campbell?

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 6:01 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Better? I can't say that for certain. Equal? Lane Kiffin, Dave Aranda, PJ Fleck, Dave Clawson (sp?), Mark Stoops, Bryan Harsin, Matt Campbell?

At the moment we can leave Fleck off this list. Harsin's really close to "Roloviching" his job. But I digress. This is an interesting list.  Campbell's group fairly recently made MC's group look like a confused group of 1-A high school coaches. But what is the (this season anyway) common take away from this list?

These teams have coaches that to an eye-test put their players in good positions to succeed. meanwhile Oregon often looks like a comedy of errors that succeeds on sheer star (4 to 5*) talent.  I don't know what the answer is. MC does sooooo many things that I like. I may have mentioned a few weeks ago that I thought the type of Alabama program MC was trying to build was so much talent that not even coaches or referees could screw up their path to victory. I still believe that.........

On 10/26/2021 at 4:30 PM, Confused said:

Lol.     Maybe it’s better to be a Huskies fan?   Nice constant ride of disappointment.  No ups and downs that come with young high ranking recruits.  Just constant depression.  While being a Duck fan is like being Bi-Polar.  

Huskies 3Ws this season have come against teams that are a combined 1-17 vs FBS competition.

On 10/27/2021 at 2:18 AM, SmithRiverDuck said:

At the moment we can leave Fleck off this list. Harsin's really close to "Roloviching" his job. But I digress. This is an interesting list.  Campbell's group fairly recently made MC's group look like a confused group of 1-A high school coaches. But what is the (this season anyway) common take away from this list?

These teams have coaches that to an eye-test put their players in good positions to succeed. meanwhile Oregon often looks like a comedy of errors that succeeds on sheer star (4 to 5*) talent.  I don't know what the answer is. MC does sooooo many things that I like. I may have mentioned a few weeks ago that I thought the type of Alabama program MC was trying to build was so much talent that not even coaches or referees could screw up their path to victory. I still believe that.........

Fleck played Ohio State close and has a winning record at season's mid-point including a blow out win at CU.

Good point on Harsin but I'm not sure that Alabama has the same vaccination mandate as does Washington?

Fun match up this Saturday when Kiffin brings Ole Miss, -3, to Auburn. 

On 10/27/2021 at 7:37 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Good point on Harsin but I'm not sure that Alabama has the same vaccination mandate as does Washington?

Auburn is requiring all employees to be vaccinated by Dec 8th.  Harsin is pulling a Rolo and won't talk about it.  Same for Leach at Mississippi St.

Edited by deschutesduck
  • Thumbs Up 1

I put a post in "I Love This" about my feelings about this topic.

On 10/26/2021 at 4:18 PM, jrw said:

THAT says it all. 

On 10/26/2021 at 2:30 PM, Confused said:

Maybe it’s better to be a Huskies fan?

Sacrilege!!

We have had a ton of injuries, and the qb is not a Cristobal recruit.

I've decided I am being too harsh and borderline ridiculous in thinking a different coach would have better results. From here on out, at least until proven otherwise, I'm staying strong on the Cristobal wagon. 

We are still a very young team, and we have a huge up side.

That said, take Col and the points.

We won't cover 26!

In my Humble Opinion, the only reason we are struggling is because while we do have a solid quarterback, we have no deep threat.  (Plus, injuries of course.  I shudder to think what will become of us if that stud Dye gets injured.)

I really believe that the only reason we are not seeing a change at QB is because our coaches know what they are doing.  As a fan, I have no information about how “ready” any of our young QB’s are. 

So, I grit my teeth, and I watch AB grind and grind, and I go insane and then ecstatic and then insane, rinse and repeat.  I’m literally constantly………  

confused schitts creek GIF by CBC

……But the only thing that really worries me is the Miami situation.  And it’s brought me to a crossroads in my MC thinking. 

I’m through second-guessing his approach.  I’ve always felt that it would take him time, so I OK with how long that takes. 

While I am frustrated with the grind, I do believe that MC can get it done.  I have been watching him slowly healing our Achilles heel, and that has always been what I’ve prayed for.

He’s the kind of recruiter;  and the most intensely “focused on winning” coach I want guiding OBD into the future.

The issue with Miami is that in addition to that 9M, there seems to be some higher costs over time that Miami may have difficulty with.  In the article attached, the long-term investment on luring him in appears to be around 50M.

https://www.on3.com/college/miami-hurricanes/news/report-potential-candidates-miami-moves-from-manny-diaz-hurricanes-mario-cristobal/

Thing is, I really believe MC would take Miami if the price is right.  I doubt that there is no way a second-generation Cuban-American who won two NCs in his own home town would turn down going home to his roots and his family.

Miami has been a storied program, and the lure to restore it to prominence for a coach who is considered as one of hottest in CFB all bodes ill to my thinking.

I just hope he wants to stay here and finish what he’s started.  And while I adamantly disagree with booing as bringing anything positive to the process, I understand and respect my fellow Duck fans for their own opinions.

Edited by 81DuckAlum

81DuckAlum....thanks for posting a great article, and while it gives us pause--it does point to him staying.  I think that is true if the job actually does open up.

And as a fellow Greybeard-age Duck fan ... nice to see how you have used some great GIFs in your posts!

Mr. FishDuck

I don't see Cristobal leaving for anything but Bama. Miami needs a culture change of Titanic proportions. Changing that by itself will take years; let alone fielding a championship level product on the field.

However..........if he were to leave, Moorhead seems very capable as a leader and a coach; and is going to be an HC again someday. Furthermore, the pieces might fall in place at a certain school in Los Angeles if they choose to give their coach the boot. Would Chip Kelly, at this point in his career, feel more suited to just running the offense instead of steering the entire ship? 

On 10/27/2021 at 9:35 AM, Confused said:

Coaching matters.   I don’t think MC is a bad coach.  I think his problem is lack of trust.  Trust the guys he hires and stop being a control freak with his coaches.   I think you would see the Oregon Team we know is there.

I think what we saw last Saturday was MC doing just that. He allowed Moorhead to go a pass heavy offense. It was a masterfully planned and executed game. MC also let DeRuyter plan and call the defense. Again, a great defensive plan that was well executed.

MC is growing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/27/2021 at 4:19 PM, Jon Sousa said:

I think what we saw last Saturday was MC doing just that. He allowed Moorhead to go a pass heavy offense. It was a masterfully planned and executed game. MC also let DeRuyter plan and call the defense. Again, a great defensive plan that was well executed.

MC is growing. 

Great point and it gives me hope about the future.  And so good to see you back, as we will always have a lot to discuss since it won't be long for basketball too!

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/26/2021 at 12:58 PM, Haywarduck said:

The last home game was, in my opinion, fans just tearing down the program. We need to be better than that, because we aren't doing better than what we got.

Yeah Hayward, I am definitely starting to come around more and more to the idea that there needs to be a better happy medium found with the criticism. It's tough though........when we get frustrated and emotional it's hard not to vent. But we need to do a better job rolling with the punches I suppose.

I hope he sticks it out, but if not then..........next coach up! I think rowing the boat would work for me.....but I said that last time before Minnesota hired Fleck and we hired Cristobal.

Enough with the vaccine talk ready 

On 10/27/2021 at 4:10 PM, DurangoJim said:

THAT says it all. 

Better? Not certain. But I posted above a list of guys who I believe could be MC's equal?