deschutesduck

Kingsley Suamataia has entered the transfer portal

Ugh!  Hate this.  We are never given reasons as to why they leave.  He is only a freshman.  Just getting started.  😱

This unfortunately may be the 1st of many. Make no mistake, there is roster tampering going on all over the place in this world of CFB free agency.

TCU's Gary Patterson noted not long ago that 5 SEC teams had approached guys on his roster.

You recruit 4* and 5* guys today? You best get them on the field of play.

• Thumbs Up 1

IDK. He's from Orem. A cousin of the Sewells? Tweet says he's a momma's boy. Sounds like they just left from a visit. Could be homesickness.  It happens. He's from a very, VERY strong family culture. If he does go to BYU, those are the most logical reasons. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

On 10/26/2021 at 5:58 PM, nw777b said:

IDK. He's from Orem. A cousin of the Sewells? Tweet says he's a momma's boy. Sounds like they just left from a visit. Could be homesickness.  It happens. He's from a very, VERY strong family culture. If he does go to BYU, those are the most logical reasons. 

I've read speculation that he's homesick. What can I say? At that age, I lived at home and commuted to college. Sometimes it just takes a while before someone is ready to take bigger steps and spread his/her wings.

• Like 1

Best of luck to the young man. 

I think it is a sign the team is healthy when a walk-on O-lineman is starting, and a 5* O-lineman enters the transfer portal. You earn what you get when you come to Oregon!

• Thumbs Up 6

Bummer.  My first thought was that he felt left out when he  wasn't in the mix and match rotation on Saturday.  

Wow.........this is a huge loss. A potential trajectory changing loss. We were looking at Kingsley and Kelvin on the ends of the O line for 3 years and that was definitely something I was looking forward to. What a bummer.

I suppose we have enough depth to make up for it though.

This transfer portal freedom is no joke. Can absolutely change the recruiting power of a team if the right player leaves.

Kingsley has the potential to be that game changer of a loss. We don't know what these guys are pitched by Mario Cristobal and company but 5* players these days expect to play early and often.

Attrition is inevitable when you stack elite recruiting classes but definitely not expected this early. Here's to hoping this doesn't permeate the youngsters on the roster (i.e. QBs, Defense).

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe someone else will rise up and be a stronger, more dedicated, loyal, and diverse Duck.

"Thinning trees while they're young makes a stronger forest when they are old. "

-- Louis McGee, Georgia Pacific Cat Skinner

'Home sick?' Isn't this what we heard about ISM before he ended up in Dallas?

I just hope Kingsley doesn't transfer in conference? I do hope he transfers to Fansville?

We are in an age of CFB free agency. Stud recruits have to be re-recruited. 5* recruits all believe they are headed for the NFL. They want to play as true frosh and get the 3 years in so they can get paid.

KS will not be the only guy to portal out. 

Disgusting they can transfer if they do not start in the first few weeks.

I'm not here to speculate on a player and his reasons for leaving. This is the way of college football and to some extent it is good. They should get the option to go to any school they want other students have the same option to go to other schools and then add the fact that they are only guaranteed a spot on the team for one year they should be able to do what they want. as for the reasons

1. if he is actually homesick, why would you try and stop him from leaving

2. if he is upset that he isn't starting then he either needs to improve to the point where he can start or leave. cristobal has shown he will start freshman when ready on the oline. Both sewell and jackson powers-johnson have played as freshman. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe it’s time to refresh with a few basics of Recruiting 101:  the vast majority of recruits are still fundamentally high school students trying to negotiate the bidding war separation from one set of coaches/mentors to another, a process awash with parental overtones and the need to reconnect with those same values at a higher level.

Don’t let the media-driven Star Wars system blind you with unproven expectations. They’re still kids, and that’s why the smart coach-recruiters pay as much attention to family upbringing as they do athleticism. A strong, well-instilled sense of self matters just as much as a 40 yard time. Conversely, a kid with a weak ego is going to pay excessive attention to his star count, much in the same way many fans do. 

We can speculate as much as we like (and we like!) about Kingsley’s reasons for opting out. Personally, I dislike the transfer portal. It sends the wrong message to these young men about how the world will treat a person who changes their mind all the time because they either fail to be responsible for their choices or require unearned respect.

And anyway, if there’s one thing MC has proven to me he can do is recruit top drawer OLs. Not to worry.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/27/2021 at 11:36 AM, Washington Waddler said:

Personally, I dislike the transfer portal. It sends the wrong message to these young men about how the world will treat a person who changes their mind all the time because they either fail to be responsible for their choices or require unearned respect.

This really is the world though. I have a specific skill set, if i feel my current place of employment is not aligning with my goals, needs, wants or desires I can leave.(most states practice some sort of at will employment law). In the real world some people may leave their current job to find the other pasture isn't always greener, some people leave their job and never find a comparable replacement. He and every athlete is taking a bet on his skills and resume and that is okay. The transfer portal is closer to the real world than the previous system.

Heck you could even consider places like linkedin akin to the transfer portal where you can reach out to companies(teams) and they can reach out to you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I know "homesickness" is real, as I experienced it as a youth. Yet the visual in my mind of a massive 5-Star TrenchMonster effectively saying...."I want my Momma" is amusing.  

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/27/2021 at 1:33 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I know "homesickness" is real, as I experienced it as a youth. Yet the visual in my mind of a massive 5-Star TrenchMonster effectively saying...."I want my Momma" is amusing.  

No matter how big he is, he will always be his Momma's little boy. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 2

It does make you wonder just how good he is. Is he a Canton, all world at the high school level, but just can't make the next level work? 

He may be homesick, or just sick of competing. College football isn't easy and maybe he just wants to get away from it all.

I guess it speaks to the wild world of college football and the expectations when the rubber meets the road. I am sure there is a lot of coddling until a student athlete gets on campus. Some kids like the Dyes, Sewells and hopefully the Flowes just love to compete.

Others just can't move past what was, and what they really liked about being a top recruit. I can't get after the kid too much, bring on Kelvin!

I believe he is destined for BYU. Many factors involved, but good luck to him and we’ll be just fine.

On 11/5/2021 at 1:27 PM, nw777b said:

Thanks, good stuff. Wish the kid well. But my guess? Before he entered the portal he was in touch with BYU one way or another?

I'm not entering the portal with the goal of transferring to a particular school, no matter how good I am, before making sure that the school has a scholly available and that the coaches at the school want my services.

With today's CFB 'free agency,' you can bet that there is a lot of under-the-table recruiting going on.

Bama needed a WR and a LB. "Coincidentally," a 5* WR transfers in from Ohio State and a 2nd team all SEC LB as a true frosh, transfers in from Tennessee. Think Bama had any 'contact' with these 2 before they entered the portal?

It is nice to see a kid spiritually connected and making decisions based on his social needs. I also give props to Cristobal for handling this situation with class and grace.

I wish him the best, and agree with Jon most of these kids are either reaching out indirectly or directly to check things out.

You call an old teammate, friend and see if the program is needing somebody like you to play at the school. They all know each other, been to camps, recruiting visits together. That student athlete then talks to coaches, all indirect, but they all know what is going on. The individuals who just up and leave, may end up school less, but the game with the big names is a pretty easy one to see how it works.

I am not insinuating Kingsley did this, but I have no doubt it happens. Seems like a great kid, wish him well.

I will also note Kilani is building something special at BYU, and we should all take notice. We will have to take special note next year when we play them the third game of the year, and we could be a bit unsettled after our first couple games with a new qb. Fortunately our O-line should be seasoned by then!

• Thumbs Up 1