Charles Fischer

Turning a Corner with Anthony Brown?

A provocative subject for sure, as he showed us progress, even with the errors?

Is it Safe to Think Oregon's Offense is Turning a Corner with Anthony Brown at QB? by Zachary Neel of Ducks Wire

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZlPOzmtg51d08f6HWcZb

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

No, statistically it was an average game for the UCLA passing defense which ranks 125 out of 130.

Total defense at home they give up an average of 420.2 yards per game, we put up 417 on them.

Their passing defense averages 290.9 ypg, we put up 296.

Avg yards per attempt 7.48 vs AB 7.58

Avg yards per completion 11.63 vs AB 10.2

Not trying to be negative but it was just one game, which i enjoyed watching! but still just one game.

Sources:
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/695/p3

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-yards-per-game

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

Excellent analysis. In other words about AB, "Nothing to see here. Move on."

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/27/2021 at 8:06 PM, deschutesduck said:

but it was just one game

Outstanding post with research, the time taken and the conclusion.  THANKS.

Mr. FishDuck

Yes... Just one game but it was an overall improvement. It is marred by the two interceptions in the fourth quarter because if those did not happen Oregon probably would have won by 17+ points and would have gained more yards in the process. 

If this game was one or even two weeks ago I doubt we would have even won the game in truth. 

On 10/27/2021 at 11:06 PM, deschutesduck said:

No, statistically it was an average game for the UCLA passing defense which ranks 125 out of 130.

Total defense at home they give up an average of 420.2 yards per game, we put up 417 on them.

Their passing defense averages 290.9 ypg, we put up 296.

Avg yards per attempt 7.48 vs AB 7.58

Avg yards per completion 11.63 vs AB 10.2

Not trying to be negative but it was just one game, which i enjoyed watching! but still just one game.

Sources:
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/695/p3

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-yards-per-game

And two late bad throws to keep the Bruins in the game and make it a one possession win game. With AB, what you see is what you get. He is playing at the level he has played at entire CFB 'career.'

IMO, those two late pass calls were senseless. Not the throws that Brown will make for you. Not the throws he had made all game. No time for a risk adverse O to take a risk.

• Thumbs Up 2

Let's be honest. We will never see a corner turned with Anthony Brown that measures up to our expectations for a starting QB at Oregon. He's played below our expectations for so long we have developed a sort of Stockholm Syndrom with the guy. Let me explain.

We are held captive by him/Cristobal this season. We are being tortured by him/Cristobal this season. The instant he does something that even somewhat approaches what we would consider average QB play, people start believing he has finally "shaken free of the mediocrity bug" (a kidnapper offering you 3 bites of food instead of one).

We have been tortured by inconsistent play and held captive by Cristobal's refusal to move to one of the freshman that we have inadvertently lowered our expectations. We must continue to see Anthony Brown for what he is; in light of a slightly better showing. He is an inconsistent QB who occasionally makes decent plays. But the sum of the outliers (good plays) will not be enough to affect the average.

He will make us angry all over again this weekend. Mark my words.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

We need AB to keep driving straight ahead, no turns. I mean we are 6-1 and we are trying to turn a corner? I can actually start to make something out pretty nice, and it is straight ahead, off in the distance. Straight ahead please!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/28/2021 at 1:45 PM, Babyjesus615 said:

Whew!  Something to watch for...  I was chatting with a Duck-Buddy, and we could not come up with a worse starter at QB for Oregon since 1991....  (30 years ago!)  

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

He is what he is.  I don't expect him to have blow out stats (and never did) but if he can improve his consistency with those mid-range passes like he did with UCLA and avoid most of those turnovers then Oregon will be fine.  I'd realistically like to see averages of 230 yards passing, 50 yards rushing, and 2 total TDs from him the rest of the season that's probably what's most feasible for him to do without throwing a bunch of INTs.  Maybe a 60-65% completion percentage as well.

The possible problem for AB’s mid range game against the Buffs is they may not bring the LBs and safeties like  UCLA. JM has to temper the temptation to realize his offensive vision with who he must do it with. Discipline your play choice, take what they give you and AB can get the job done. 

• Thumbs Up 1

He will be consistently inconsistent. JM needs to call more dink-n-dunk passes. He, AB, needs to utilize his backs more especially in potential pitch situations. 

On 10/28/2021 at 2:06 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Whew!  Something to watch for...  I was chatting with a Duck-Buddy, and we could not come up with a worse starter at QB for Oregon since 1991....  (30 years ago!)  

Worse than Burmeister? 

On 10/28/2021 at 5:04 PM, nw777b said:

Worse than Burmeister? 

I meant an actual starter, and not a fill-in due to injury.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/28/2021 at 4:45 PM, Babyjesus615 said:

Let's be honest. We will never see a corner turned with Anthony Brown that measures up to our expectations for a starting QB at Oregon. He's played below our expectations for so long we have developed a sort of Stockholm Syndrom with the guy. Let me explain.

We are held captive by him/Cristobal this season. We are being tortured by him/Cristobal this season. The instant he does something that even somewhat approaches what we would consider average QB play, people start believing he has finally "shaken free of the mediocrity bug" (a kidnapper offering you 3 bites of food instead of one).

We have been tortured by inconsistent play and held captive by Cristobal's refusal to move to one of the freshman that we have inadvertently lowered our expectations. We must continue to see Anthony Brown for what he is; in light of a slightly better showing. He is an inconsistent QB who occasionally makes decent plays. But the sum of the outliers (good plays) will not be enough to affect the average.

A tip of the helmet to Babyjesus. Stockholm syndrome is a devilishly clever analogy.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think we improved over last year and if we do that again we just might get back to where we want, think we should be!

You guys might have been looking too far!

I think the coaches stay with AB because he can run the ball. Not like Mariota could run, but he will run. 

We know AB’s shortcomings when it comes to passing downfield, so the coaches know that as well. Moorehead will still have him throw a deep ball, but percentage wise, it’s seem like a long shot for him to connect with a receiver in stride. 

Moorehead has game planned this year with AB in as QB. I think the offense may change somewhat from this years play calling if the QB’s strength is actually passing vs. running. 

I definitely DO NOT think it's safe to say that Brown has "turned a corner". His terrible interceptions in the 4th quarter almost cost Oregon the game. Regardless of how well he played leading up to those picks, the fact that he threw not one, but two, demonstrates that he is still lacking critical vision of the field, timing, and decision making skills.

The fact that those pass plays, especially the last one, were even called also causes me to question the coaches, who you would think would be well aware of Brown's strengths and weakness. We certainly all are. Have the coaches turned a corner? I think not.

I don't buy the "we trying to be aggressive and put the game away" BS. You are leading the game by 3 points. Your quarterback just threw a pick that resulted in a UCLA touchdown that put them back into the game. There are 3 minutes left, UCLA only has one time out left, and you are in field goal range. The more I think about that play call, the more it has me shaking my head.

It's clear to me that there is much about Brown's game that still needs to improve, but I'm more concerned about Oregon's coaches who have not seemed to turn a critical corner when it comes to wisely managing the end of games. Seriously, we are talking about the last 3 games in a row.

Let's hope it's not even an issue in the Colorado game. It certainly shouldn't be.

AB has been at this for 6 years. Basically he is who he is. Im sure he is capable of having a great game here and there.

Edited by 1Ducker1

On 10/28/2021 at 8:40 PM, latracey said:

I'm more concerned about Oregon's coaches who have not seemed to turn a critical corner when it comes to wisely managing the end of games.

My Saturday article is precisely about the "End-Game" and I would love to hear everyone's thoughts...

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/28/2021 at 5:32 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I meant an actual starter, and not a fill-in due to injury.

Dakota Prukup?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/28/2021 at 9:33 PM, PittDuck said:

Dakota Prukup?

His numbers are about on par with ABs. But I think he was better. He seemed to lose confidence due to the pressure of high expectations.  I'm not sure the receiving corps was as good then as this year, either.

What about Jeff Lockie or Dakota Prukop?

On 10/29/2021 at 9:58 AM, DanLduck said:

What about Jeff Lockie or Dakota Prukop?

Lockie did not last long, and was brought in due to injury as I recall.  Prukop has been mentioned above, and I will admit that between him and AB...it is close!

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/29/2021 at 10:05 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Lockie did not last long, and was brought in due to injury as I recall.  Prukop has been mentioned above, and I will admit that between him and AB...it is close!

I'm going with AB all day on this one.  Of course, he has more to use and this is a better D than Prukop had.

we could not come up with a worse starter at QB for Oregon since 1991....  (30 years ago!)

I would say Prukop is exactly who comes to mind when watching his play. Gets frustrated with the first read and if there isn't time to pitch it off to the RB he tries to take it himself. BTW Prukop had better ball security... 🤨

1007956087_prukopvsbrown.thumb.png.fd0cc85fbc3e3785a8bb89f8ab08762c.pngI posted this previously.  Personally, I think DP's numbers are a little better than AB's and he was replaced at the end of game 5 by a Freshman we all know and ❤. But back then the Ducks were backsliding.

• Thanks 1