FishDuck Article

Moorhead Must Remain in the Coaches’ Box

For the last two games, OC Joe Moorhead has called the game from the box rather than the sideline. This has corresponded with a significant change in Oregon’s passing offense, as the past two weeks have also come with the best two games for QB Anthony Brown. Brown still has a long way to go in terms of becoming a ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Great article, and I agree Moorhead should stay up in the booth. You can't argue with the outcome and it may be best for his health and all of our health.

The one question is why would Cristobal need a laminated play sheet if he only wants to call one play?

5s9wox.gif

• Haha 2
  • Like 1

To answer the question in the article of when Cristobal was last seen with a laminated play-sheet, last Saturday in the Rose Bowl:

image.png.90a5c7f862f8853f4026f98e00360462.png

I don't think it means anything at all about playing calling.  It's simply the head coach with a laminated play-sheet, nothing more.

Edited by DuckHeart

On 10/29/2021 at 7:38 AM, DuckHeart said:

I don't think it means anything at all about playing calling.  It's simply the head coach with a laminated play-sheet, nothing more.

I probably should have clarified my question with... The last time he was actively looking at the playsheet. 

But in truth I didn't even notice he had it on him and I rewatched most of the game! 

Thanks for the picture. 

You know he wants to be on the field one on one coaching guys up, but likely has better vision game feel and ability to see the defense when upstairs.  

an added bonus is being able to claim technical difficulties when “not hearing”  MC calling for the pistol plunge from their half yard line. 

"Nick Saban demands his coordinaors to be on the sideline to call offensive plays instead of the box."

That's probably so he can chew them out on the sidelines in front of the TV cameras.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Advantages to both on the field or in the booth,  since, "It never rains in Autzen Stadium" I'd be on the field.

I'm just glad we haven't seen a lotta pistol the last 2 weeks.  Any coincidence there?

On 10/29/2021 at 8:32 AM, JDuck said:

I'm just glad we haven't seen a lotta pistol the last 2 weeks.  Any coincidence there?

Haha, if MC pulls the laminated page out and calls the Pistol, that literally is shooting from the hip. 🤠

On 10/29/2021 at 7:46 AM, David Marsh said:

I probably should have clarified my question with... The last time he was actively looking at the playsheet. 

But in truth I didn't even notice he had it on him and I rewatched most of the game! 

Thanks for the picture. 

Let me be the first to try and answer the updated question.

I hope he pulled out that play sheet a while ago and doesn't pull it out anytime soon. 

I think this speaks to the incredibly complex set of variables a coach has to deal with come game day. Cristobal is the emotional leader on the sideline. I can't even count the number of situations which need to be managed. From substitutions to, what he seems to like his favorite, referee management. A coach can't effectively do it all. He has to pick his battles.

I hope he sticks to a few duties and shows the growing trust, he seems to have, in his assistants. Keep them accountable, but don't try and do too much!

5sah1g.jpg

• Haha 1

On 10/29/2021 at 6:55 AM, Haywarduck said:

Great article, and I agree Moorhead should stay up in the booth. You can't argue with the outcome and it may be best for his health and all of our health.

The one question is why would Cristobal need a laminated play sheet if he only wants to call one play?

5s9wox.gif

It's a package protector with the instruction sheet attached...

On the surface it appears to be a better situation for AB. IMHO, AB appears to be reactionary or instinctive to the defense as the plays unfold. He doesn't always make the right decision but who does? He does make alot of good decisions.

With JM in the booth all AB gets is the adjusted play call with about 15 seconds left on the play clock. Then bam....they run the play.

When AB comes to the sideline he doesn't have JM right in his face, ear and head. Not saying that's bad but maybe that constant, instant information can't be processed without confusing AB.

JM is a darn good play caller. Just ask Cals and Bruins coaching staffs  And for the most part AB  and the offense execute those play calls with positive results.

Go Ducks......

On 10/29/2021 at 8:50 AM, nw777b said:

Haha, if MC pulls the laminated page out and calls the Pistol, that literally is shooting from the hip. 🤠

We really haven't seen much use of the pistol in quite some time. They will use the formation sometimes which a lot of teams with highly successful offenses do but it is a sometimes formation not an exclusive formation. We are seeing more of Moorhead's stamp on this offense as he has had more and more time get everyone comfortable in his scheme and we are starting to see execution happen at a higher level now as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting take. Thank you.

I note that 1 of AB's 200 yard passing games came against UCLA's awful pass D. I think this is more the product of what UCLA had on the field vs Joe's play calling. I think JM made two crummy play calls late in the game that led to picks.

I don't think we have enough data in 2021 to compare Joe-In-The-Box to Joe-On-The-Field? I am certain that if JM is on the field an assistant is watching from above and communicating with the sideline.

Joe was on the field when Penn St played SC in a classic Rose Bowl game; the PSU O put up close to 50 points on the Trojans D.

I do not understand why CFB has yet to emulate the NFL and put headsets in the QB's helmet? I guess they like the sideline card shows?

On 10/29/2021 at 9:52 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I think JM made two crummy play calls late in the game that led to picks.

I am going to politely disagree; the first interception--I watched it again last night-had a receiver wide-open crossing the middle, but AB made a very bad pass.  Not the play-call on that one, IMHO.

As for the second interception?  I hope you all get up early tomorrow to read my article about the "End-Game" and give me your thoughts to what is written before the game begins.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

New to posting here, some observations/opinions:

Agree that the OC should stay in the booth.  He just sees more that way.

Cristobal doesn’t need a play calling laminate — but he does need a game-management template to make sure he doesn’t go for a 4th down conversion when an easy 3 would be better (Stanford, 1st half), or leave too much time for the opponent to make an answering drive (Stanford, UCLA)

There’s tendency to get the play call in late that hampers ABs rhythm.  Outside of clock-eating situations, he’s at his best when the Ducks don’t wait too long to snap the ball — more decisive and confident.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/29/2021 at 1:00 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I am going to politely disagree; the first interception--I watched it again last night-had a receiver wide-open crossing the middle, but AB made a very bad pass.  Not the play-call on that one, IMHO.

As for the second interception?  I hope you all get up early tomorrow to read my article about the "End-Game" and give me your thoughts to what is written before the game begins.

Great points Charles.

With all due respect, we have seen AB make a number of very bad passes this season.

Why put him in a position to screw up and keep UCLA in the game? With the score what it was and the time left in the game I don't see the risk of these 2 play calls justifying the potential reward?

But that's just me. If the calls had worked, it further cements JM's great play calling in this game.

Really looking forward to tomorrow's article. The end game is so critical in this sport and has been critical in seemingly every Ducks game this season.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/29/2021 at 9:52 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I don't think we have enough data in 2021 to compare Joe-In-The-Box to Joe-On-The-Field? I am certain that if JM is on the field an assistant is watching from above and communicating with the sideline.

Joe was on the field when Penn St played SC in a classic Rose Bowl game; the PSU O put up close to 50 points on the Trojans D.

I do not understand why CFB has yet to emulate the NFL and put headsets in the QB's helmet? I guess they like the sideline card shows?

I don't think Oregon's offensive staff are working as a finely well oiled machine as Penn State was that Rose Bowl season. I think there will be a time he returns to the sideline if he wants to but for this season Oregon's offense has felt much better with him in the box. UCLA does have a bad back end to their defense but if this was a few weeks ago I don't think Brown would have been that effective against it as he was last weekend. So either Brown has taken some significant strides as a player, which is possible, or the playcalling was just better. 

Though I do agree we don't really have enough evidence to make a full determination as to whether Joe in the box or sideline is better at this time. We will have a better idea this weekend and the following week against Washington. I don't see him coming out of the box for quite a while due to health reasons. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm inclined to agree with JM staying in the box.  If it were me I'd want to have that aerial view so that I can make better decisions on the fly.  The added benefit is that it would remove the possibility of Cristobal trying to change the play calling if they're not side by side.  I think he's finally let Moorhead take the reins against UCLA and it definitely showed.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/29/2021 at 8:32 AM, JDuck said:

Travis Dye would be carted off the field by the 3rd quarter if this was the 2019 pistol plunge offense. Plus it is finally an inescapable fact to Cristobal that Oregon operates best stretching the field despite his attempt to shove all 11 men into a phone booth.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/29/2021 at 11:26 AM, Babyjesus615 said:

it is finally an inescapable fact to Cristobal that Oregon operates best stretching the field despite his attempt to shove all 11 men into a phone booth.

giphy.gif

Now let's hope it sticks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/29/2021 at 11:26 AM, Babyjesus615 said:

despite his attempt to shove all 11 men into a phone booth.

5sbjfn.jpg

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/29/2021 at 10:00 AM, Charles Fischer said:

He also had Dye to the right leaking out of the backfield, also open. As for the last INT, I got nothing 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/29/2021 at 10:52 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I think the kids would find a way to substitute coach talk with their fav playlist.