Jon Joseph

WEEK 9 (AND PO COMMITTEE WEEK 1) GAMES WITH A PLAYOFF PUNCH

1. Georgia -14  vs NR Florida in the World's Largest Gathering Of Folks Imbibing Adult Beverages Game - 3:30 CBS

Florida despite the debate over the starting QB, can put up points. But against this D? How about NO!

5. Ohio State -18.5 vs 20 Penn St. - 7:30 ABC

With PSU's 2nd L in a row vs Illinois in a 9 OT game, this contest has lost a lot of its luster. PSU is only the 2nd top 25 team the Buckeyes will have played this season. Don't tell the AP voters but the 1st top 25 match up did not go well for the Buckeyes. I think a desperate PSU team keeps the final score within the spread?

If both tOSU and the Ducks win, will the PO Committee have the Bucks ranked ahead of the Ducks. And where will the Committee rank Cincinnati?

6. Michigan -4  at 8. Michigan State - Noon - FOX

The B1G E with this game and the OH ST/PSU game starts to sort itself out. In the long PO run an L by either team should help the Ducks? First time these 2 have played as top 10 opponents in over 5 decades.

If Harbaugh wins will he ask for his former pay to be restored? If Tucker wins the Tucker to LSU talk will heat up.

10. Ole Miss +2.5 at 18 Auburn - 7 ESPN

Matt Corral has taken the lead in the Heisman race. (If Mr. T keeps it up and isn't in NYC, something is very wrong.) Can Corral outduel Bo Nix on the road at a tough place to play? Can Kiffin continue the impressive year 2 turn around?

11. Notre Dame -3.5 vs NR UNC - 7:30 NBC 

Only because of Clemson's poor season, UNC, with all due respect to Washington, is the most disappointing team in 2021. Will the Domers 'steal' another Final 4 spot?

CLOSER TO HOME

7. Oregon -24 vs NR Colorado - 3:30 FOX

It's too bad this game is opposite UGA vs UF. The Ducks need style points and lots of folks watching Puddles put them up. I expect this game will not show up on big FOX until well into the 1st quarter? Although the style of offense played by both MI and MI ST should help run the clock in East Lansing?

UCLA +3.5 at Utah - 10 ESPN

UCLA is very much in the hunt for the Pac-12 S. Will DTR be able to play? Will Bruins FG tries be reviewed? 

Did you know? The HC of Troy also goes by the name the name of Chip Kelly?

Oregon State -2.5 at CAL - 7 Pac-12 Network

The Ducks need the Beavs to keep on rolling. Strawberry Canyon has not been a fruitful place for the Beavers to play. OR ST is 1-2 on the road in 2021. Once again the Beavers light is hidden under the bushel that is Larry's Lost Network. After the loss in Corvallis, Utah HC Whittingham expressed his belief that the Beavers have the best O in the conference.

Keep an eye on: NR Texas at 16 Baylor - 2.5 - Noon ABC;  9 Iowa +3 at NR Wisconsin - Noon ESPN; 17. Pitt -9 vs Miami - Noon ACC Network. The Canes defeated ranked NC State last Saturday but a win here would help get Manny Diaz off the hot seat.

Did you know? The Fighting Flecks a/k/a Minnesota, are tied for the lead in the B1G W?

GO DUCKS! Make the Buffs ralph!

On 10/29/2021 at 1:31 PM, Jon Joseph said:

CLOSER TO HOME

7. Oregon -24 vs NR Colorado - 3:30 FOX

It's too bad this game is opposite UGA vs UF. The Ducks need style points and lots of folks watching Puddles put them up. I expect this game will not show up on big FOX until well into the 1st quarter? Although the style of offense played by both MI and MI ST should help run the clock in East Lansing?

GO DUCKS! Make the Buffs ralph!

As long as I don't have to watch 9 overtimes of two teams who can't move the ball or score, like watching paint dry, I'll be good waiting a little to see Oregon play Colorado.

5sbqmj.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

That old, "You need to be tested" hasn't come up for Georgia yet, probably not going to this week. Ohio State is averaging 49 a game, and i don't  think Stroud has been picked off since the Ducks; some say that Franklin has been preoccupied with "Fight On", hence the 9 OT debacle last week against Illinois...take Ohio State to cover.

No.6 Michigan @ No.8 Michigan State, the other day somebody was talking about how 3 or 4 snaps, and a horrible measurement against the Buckeyes have kept Harbaugh and Big Blue out of the CFP. I usually pick Michigan and do again tomorrow.

The Husky fanbase used to have major howls because whoever Oregon was playing was a lot easier than who the Huskies were playing. But this year it doesn't seem to matter.

Go Beavs!

Interesting.  Watched Pac12 after dark.  They were showing the following resume comparison:

Ohio St.

Record:  7-1

Strength of Record: 20th 

Strength of Schedule:  93rd

Oregon:

Record: 7-1

Strength of Record: 12th 

Strength of Schedule:  15th

Since Oregon beat Ohio St. head to head and comparing what's stated above Oregon should be ahead of Ohio St. in the first CFP Poll release on Tuesday.  I get tired of the eye candy spin the ESPNs and others trying to influence Ohio St. to be one of the teams in the playoffs trying to disannul what happen in that 2nd game of the season.

I know Ohio St. will be facing stiffer competition as they did with Penn St., but if both teams win out, Oregon should be ahead due to the head to head win.  Just my opinion.

Edited by NJDuck

On 10/31/2021 at 11:59 AM, NJDuck said:

but if both teams win out, Oregon should be ahead due to the head to head win.

No disagreement here, but if we get shafted later--and even that this conversation is happening is proof that it is ludicrous to play those early blockbuster games.  If we lose (like to Auburn in 2018) it gets held against us...and if we win as we did this year....they want to ignore it!

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/31/2021 at 11:59 AM, NJDuck said:

I get tired of the eye candy spin the ESPNs and others trying to influence Ohio St. to be one of the teams in the playoffs

Great find. It's pathetic how ESPN caters to the bluebloods, in the casual chatter, tOSU is a given to ne in the CFP, Oregon, "Has no margin for error". Cincy is the Darling this season. During the Kellen Moore years, Boise State was more dominant than Ciny is this season. But Boise State is in far away, remote Idaho. Cincy is in Ohio. Big difference. 

The problem is that the Ducks is the only team in the conference with fewer than 3Ls. Hopefully with Fresno's victory over SDS, the Bulldogs are #25 in the AP Poll, Fresno will be ranked by the CT? Ohio St has MI, MI ST left and most likely a top 25 team in the B1G champ game

Go 11-1 and the Ducks will play a south champion with at least 3 Ls. Senseless Larry follow the leader BS.

The Beavers do not travel well. ASU players appear to have given up on Herm. WSU players have not given up with a interim HC. If you watched Stanford/UW yesterday you have to ask how in the heck did UO lose to Stanford? SC defeated the worst P5 team in all of football but Drake London is out for the rest of the season. Utah after the moving ceremony came through.

Could have added OK ST, TX Tech, SMU, TCU , Houston and BYU?  But none are good enough fit for the Pac-12, right?

On 10/31/2021 at 3:16 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Could have added OK ST, TX Tech, SMU, TCU , Houston and BYU?  But none are good enough fit for the Pac-12, right?

The powers there be in the Pac12 always seem to be inept in making the right decisions  🙄

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/31/2021 at 1:15 PM, NJDuck said:

The powers there be in the Pac12 always seem to be inept in making the right decisions  🙄

NJDuck, how many conference members have the will and the money to compete against the best at the highest level in college football? I think many of the Pac-12 'leaders' would be happy to go the way of the Big East, drop football and focus on basketball? More and more I find this lack of leadership ticking me off because Oregon does not deserve these kind of partners.

I hope Oregon does not pledge its media rights to the conference without testing say, the B12 waters? To get Oregon the B12 might well pay a premium for Oregon's media rights? AS it did for OK and TX.

So long OK and TX, but with the 4 schools the B12 is adding it will be a stronger football conference than the Pac-12.

I'm not saying the Ducks should go Independent. But Oregon needs to look after their own interests now, loyalty to the Pac-12 be damned. No other conference is interested in any of the other 11. If UW came along that would be acceptable, as long as they stayed in coach.