Charles Fischer

Ticks me OFF: The Media Spin about Oregon Fans

The topic of this thread is not whether booing is right or wrong, or what you think of it.  The topic is the media spin of Oregon fans and how it really ticks me off.

Throughout the Saturday telecast...you heard Herbstreit and Fowler talk of the booing of Anthony Brown.  Now...is that really what the booing was all about?  What about how the majority of the fans on this site have some issues with the coaching.  Not enough to want him fired, and not enough where the majority of us would boo.  

The fans were booing the underperformance of Oregon over a several game stretch, and were primarily trying to get through to Cristobal, but what did the media people have to say about about that concern of the fans?

Crickets.

I'm driving back to office and listen to Steve Tannen on the radio (locally) bash the fans who booed Anthony Brown and he invited Nigel Burton, the Pac-12 analyst on the phone to participate.  Neither one said a thing about how the dissatisfaction was primarily with how Cristobal coaches the team in some areas.  Nothing.

I get angry at the media spin in politics, but now to see it occur during a telecast of Our Beloved Ducks, and then locally on the radio just ticks me off.  I quit listening to Tannen because of how often he went into politics, and this one time I listen in over a year, (I like listening to Nigel Burton) and he is doing a spin to make all the fans who booed look bad?  It is dishonest.

Again....this is about the media spin, and not about the booing topic itself.

image.jpeg

Nigel Burton

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Spinning like a spinning top.

Herbie on ESPN Tuesday night on the preview show of the this Tuesday's night PO Committee first reveal completely dismissed the Ducks W in Columbus in favor of his personal eye test. Since the Ducks L the Buckeyes have played better than Oregon so it is 'logical' to rank OH ST ahead of the Ducks. Right?

Herbie mentioned that he was not going to be bound by what happened in the 2nd game of the season. But every game counts, right?

THIS notwithstanding his employer has Oregon with a better strength of schedule and a better strength of record than Ohio State. THIS notwithstanding that KT did not dress for the Ohio State game.

On the other hand on the weekly CBS, CFB show, all 5 folks said that if head to head does not count then why play the games? Why indeed?

These people simply make it up as it goes along to fit their particular narrative. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Fowler, Herbie, Tannen, Burton all took the easy way to fill air time.  They aren't interested in actually discussing Why the fans were booing, just that they were. Every time Oregon had the ball, Fowler brought the booing up, wasn't interested in looking at stats that might have encouraged the action.

Too be fair, Play- by Play is not the forum for an in-deph examination of fan reaction, but move it along Fowler. It's hard to say which grew more tedious, Fowler/Herbie and the booing, or the Stanfords assertion that Oregon, "might be overrated?" during the Arizona game?

Both were examples of lazy broadcasting just spouting off with as little thinking possible.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/29/2021 at 5:07 PM, Jon Joseph said:

completely dismissed the Ducks W in Columbus in favor of his personal eye test

Might as well mention, Herbie, Joey Galloway, both Buckeyes. 

A Duck-Buddy of mine pointed out how Herbstreit was going on about the booing of Anthony Brown...and the next play he threw the first interception that was just a bad pass.  After the second interception, Herbie was doing all he could to keep from characterizing it as a terrible play.  Of course now Herbie and Fowler know why the fans who were booing Brown, did so.  

But again--the majority of those booing were making a comment about the coaching, and that was ignored by the media. 

At any rate--I am really happy after the win with so many positive things to discuss--then I hear Tannen spinning "Group-Shade" (that we don't allow here) on the radio and I got really ticked off.

Thanks for listening and being patient.  Rant over. 

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Let's face it Charles. The Oregon Ducks are a team that people love to hate. Shoot even the politics in Oregon people love to hate. They essentially love to hate Oregonians.

So these broadcasters have decided to take it one step further and hate on the fans now too. 

Pretty bush league considering lots of fans in a lot of places boo their programs from time to time and almost always it's directed at the coaches and not individual players. They are just using another opportunity to spin their implicit biases and knock the Ducks and the whole West Coast in order to gain competitive advantage in the Playoff politics.

Edited by C J
  • Thumbs Up 3

Can't comment on local radio but as far as national tv coverage I feel like most of the people are just going off a highlights reel or story they read that was written off a review of the espn gamecast. I suspect a lot of them miss most oregon/pac-12 games due to them starting so late or even when we do have earlier start times they're watching the SEC games. 

I can't think of a specific example off the top of my head but there's been quite a few times where they're talking about the ducks previous week game and i'm thinking... that's not at all how it went...

• Like 1

But that is the thing with booing. People hear it and they are going to assume what they are going to assume. And then they are going to say what they assume, as if it is fact.

Truth in advertising, I don't believe in booing: 1) Miss Manners would not approve. 2) No one can read the minds of the boo-ers, so those who hear the booing will make their own assumptions--it may not be fair, it may not be right, but, unfortunately, that's the way it is.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 5:35 PM, Annie said:

No one can read the minds of the boo-ers, so those who hear the booing will make their own assumptions

In the case of the media?  I do not believe that.  They are well-versed on what is going on as they spend a ton more time with the team, coaches and film than the rest of us do.  In the time since I wrote the first post--a fellow who knows Tannen phoned me told me of how they spoke about the booing and he made the point to Tannen that the booing was primarily directed at Cristobal.  Yet Tannen goes on the radio and spins his own narrative, despite knowing the truth.

The media being dishonest, of spinning their narrative when they know the truth is what I object to.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

NEWS. Negative Events With Spin.

Oklahoma almost defeated by Tulsa, Texas and Kansas. Nothing to see here, move right along. Bama takes an L versus a 2L team that beat CU by TD? No problem because A+M is 14 and a 2L team A+M lost to, Auburn, is at 16.

Go 12-1 and shut all of these people up. Show up in the Orange or Cotton  Bowl and fight to the finish.

NO PO expansion without every P5 champ in. I hope the Alliance won't back down.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, to be fair, fans were booing, and were reportedly chanting, "We want Thompson".

If that's true, I think it's more than fair to say that at least some fans were booing AB, and not the coaches.

But, that's the trouble with booing sometimes; you may know what you're booing, but there's no guarantee anyone else does.

It's not like there's one kind of boo for players, another for coaches, and a third for the play-calling.

Charles, I think in your fair-mindedness and deep knowledge of the game, you give most fans way too much credit.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

What one person believes is good the other one dislikes--People need to chill on both sides-Our nation was founded on 1 main principal-------Freedom of speech.

The media always loves to throw in their 2 cents--

Edited by 1Ducker1

So many well thought out comments on this subject. Thanks for sharing all of them because it shows the wide range of feeling and emotions on this site.

Tannen knows better. Charles I stopped listening to him because at times he just doesn't do his homework.  Lazy and spins his narrative.

I wish the game broadcasters would spend more time telling us who made the tackle than talk for the sake of talking. The game before them is their mission. Stick with that.

We will see if Brock Huard brings up something from 4 weeks ago or calls a good game. The Ducks and AB played poorly and didn't close out Stanford. That is past news. They have rebounded nicely. Hope they keep it going 

Darn the puppy just destroyed the shoelaces on my golf shoes. Wait, squirrel.   Go Ducks.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 6:37 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Our nation was founded on 1 main principal-------Freedom of speech.

It was also founded on truth...and the freedom of the media--that has now been corrupted into a spin machine--even with our Ducks.

Again...the media are portraying the fans as the problem as did Cristobal the other day.  The people who pay the bills of the athletic department, the ridiculous contracts of the coaches....whose tuning in on TV make the sportscasters rich....they are the problem?

Peter Finch.jpg

It makes me mad as....

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I agree 100% Charles.

I find that Steve Tannen, who is part of whatever they are calling the Oregon Sports Network now, tends to fall in with the company line; and right now the company line is loud and clear that Cristobal doesn't want to hear fans booing in Autzen Stadium on Saturday, or any time in the future.

The interesting part of Tannen dissing fans who booed is that I often listen to the 5th quarter broadcasts that he does on KUGN with Ken Woody after the games, and there has been no lack of criticism by both of Brown, his lack of good decision making, and the poor clock management and coaching decisions made in the end of the last 3 games on their radio program.

Tannen is well aware that fans who were booing were mostly booing the decisions make by the coaching staff, but far be it for him to buck to company line.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unfortunately,  negative news gets more viewers, listeners, and clicks. Add a villain to the mix and things get juicier. 

I've resigned myself to believe the coaches know exactly the why's regarding the angst. But they are between a rock and a hard spot.  

I'm thinking Brown really is the best option and the coaches know it's not a great situation, but if they don't back him 100%, his confidence could take a dive along with his performance and a backup would be worse than Brown is today. 

So they need Brown. The plays called will be the best option for him to succeed. 

Brown's our guy. 

In the meantime, the media will do what they've always done to get more advertising $$$$$...so they add a villain to their story. It worked.

Edited by nw777b

On 10/29/2021 at 7:17 PM, latracey said:

I find that Steve Tannen, who is part of whatever they are calling the Oregon Sports Network now, tends to fall in with the company line; and right now the company line is loud and clear that Cristobal doesn't want to hear fans booing in Autzen Stadium on Saturday, or any time in the future.

So many of these comments reflect why I love learning from this community. I do want to say latracey, that you have contributed some superb commentary since you recently joined us. Please do continue--especially when I disagree with you!

On this issue?  You are quite right, as this all part of the Pravda that is Oregon Sports Information at times.  (Like GoDucks.com) Their actions reflect a disdain for the people who make it all possible....

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/29/2021 at 7:21 PM, nw777b said:

Unfortunately,  negative news gets more viewers, listeners, and clicks. Add a villain to the mix and things get juicier. 

Because Oregon fans are known across the nation--even been promoted as "intelligent" by prior coaches and even the sportscasters in question--it is news when they boo.  And that is news that they will promote heavily because of the clicks you refer to, regardless of the whole truth of the issue.

Funny how Oregon fans are being panned now, when before we were praised for our intelligence?  Whatever fits the current narrative?

Mad 2 Mean look.jpg

And that makes me even madder...

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

As to the 1st Amendment. I think the founders wanted truth but based on their collective experience they had never seen the same.

In Ben Franklin's time there were as many liars per capita as there are today. However, there were 'constants' then that we do not have today. Not everything was 'relative' and subject to revision by later generations.

Also Charles and I spot on agree, gentlemen then were expected to tell the truth. Not as they saw it but as the facts so revealed. The facts could be interpreted differently but people did not stray from the facts or make facts up, or ignore same, when rendering an opinion.

One thing that was also different back when the Declaration of Independence, The Bill of Rights and certain amendments were added to the Constitution, although there were duels fought, most folks could disagree without being disagreeable. Today? It's back to kindergarten: I'm right so anything you have to say otherwise is wrong.

And anyone with access to a key board can, no matter how senseless or insipid, go public with his or her beliefs.

You pay your $ to see the show and you have the right to applaud or to boo. IMO, anyone who sees it differently is sitting on a fabricated high horse. 

When in the modern history of CFB has a QB not performing to the expectations of the fans not been booed? Fans, short of course for 'fanatics,' are not allowed to vent because it might hurt the feelings of a multi-million dollar a year salaried coach and the players in the bully pulpit's, feelings?

My advice for what it is worth, tune out and tune into a site like FD where decorum matters. Where free expression and not denegation is allowed. Where criticism is allowed unless unduly directed at a fellow poster.

As many have noted above. The negative slant on things brings click-bait and $.

I'm reasonably certain that once a month the talking heads at CNN and FOX go somewhere incognito and raise a glass to one another.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 10/29/2021 at 6:51 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The media being dishonest, of spinning their narrative when they know the truth …..

And THAT is all that needs to be said. 

Many good comments here.

Someone, somewhere coined the term "narrative engineers" and this is what we're all talking about. It's what sells. What brings in good ratings. What drives people to call in on call in shows. Most of what they say falls into the mindless drivel lane until the next play or next commercial and has, too often, more to do with their own opinion than actual truth. They talk stats and stories and they moralize. It's show biz and they get paid handsomely for it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, enough! We need a return to the Stockholm Syndrome — every fan bring a little pink  heart balloon to the game Saturday, inflate with gas and let it go, all while singing, “ we love you Anthony, oh yes we do-o ...”  It can’t get any worse with the media anyway, so why not a little irony between friends, right?

Honestly, I would love to see fans encourage AB before he ever takes a snap. He has limits, sure.

But he's the leader of the O and I think it just might di more good if he knew folks are earnestly rooting for him to succeed.

Go Ducks!

Play better and coach better and the booing stops.

I have never thought for ONE SECOND that the fans were booing the team. They were booing Cristobal, period. Maybe it's time for our version of a now-famous chant: "Let's Go Dye!!!, Let's Go Dye!!!, . . ."

On 10/29/2021 at 6:49 PM, Charles Fischer said:

It was also founded on truth...and the freedom of the media--that has now been corrupted into a spin machine--even with our Ducks.

Again...the media are portraying the fans as the problem as did Cristobal the other day.  The people who pay the bills of the athletic department, the ridiculous contracts of the coaches....whose tuning in on TV make the sportscasters rich....they are the problem?

Peter Finch.jpg

It makes me mad as....

To me, if we boo the "product on the field", because we spend our $ on tickets etc, we have become spectators only and are no longer "fans of college athletics".

Most of us are alumni, or long time followers. We cheer "in support" of our student athletes. 

What ever happened to "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything ".

The truth is, while you might be disgruntled with the play calling, the guy next to you who is less educated in actual football knowledge, is unhappy with the player. 

And who knows, we all hear and see and make our own conclusions. 

Sports guys, especially the big guns are lazy. They blow into a town and read the notes their staff gives them. In all the years with Chip, Herbie & Co never once understood his offense.

Booing your college team, especially when they are 5-1, is news worthy. Autzen fans don't boo as a rule, and at least half the boos were against AB.

On a personal note, I've gone back and forth on this issue and I've decided for me, booing is never appropriate under any circumstance. 

I would really like to see some civility come back as a nation. If we can't do that for our team  which we love...

...when can we.

On 10/30/2021 at 11:48 AM, DanLduck said:

To me, if we boo the "product on the field", because we spend our $ on tickets etc, we have become spectators only and are no longer "fans of college athletics".

Most of us are alumni, or long time followers. We cheer "in support" of our student athletes. 

What ever happened to "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything ".

The truth is, while you might be disgruntled with the play calling, the guy next to you who is less educated in actual football knowledge, is unhappy with the player. 

And who knows, we all hear and see and make our own conclusions. 

Sports guys, especially the big guns are lazy. They blow into a town and read the notes their staff gives them. In all the years with Chip, Herbie & Co never once understood his offense.

Booing your college team, especially when they are 5-1, is news worthy. Autzen fans don't boo as a rule, and at least half the boos were against AB.

On a personal note, I've gone back and forth on this issue and I've decided for me, booing is never appropriate under any circumstance. 

I would really like to see some civility come back as a nation. If we can't do that for our team  which we love...

...when can we.

Again...I stated twice in the first post that this was not to be a rehashed discussion about the merits or booing or not.  This thread was about the spin by the media; it is you who is steering it away from the topic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/30/2021 at 12:13 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Again...I stated twice in the first post that this was not to be a rehashed discussion about the merits or booing or not.  This thread was about the spin by the media; it is you who is steering it away from the topic.

Yes, I did give some rehash, but I also addressed the media spin. Sorry. I missed previous discussion. My bad.