FishDuck Article

Colorado GameDay Thread: The Best Approach to the Endgame?

On 10/30/2021 at 2:38 PM, DuckIt said:

Are you sure he doesn't have one foot in the transfer portal?  I wouldn't blame him, if he is healthy.

No, I am not sure at all. Yeah, if he is healthy and he is not getting opportunities then he may be griping. And that griping may have him riding the pine, which could easily lead to the portal. Hope not though.

Put TT in!

Is AB growing up before our eyes?  He threw the ball away on 1st down, then runs for TD.  When that gets called back, he delivers a strike to the end zone.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 2:32 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

On longer throws Brown is always a few ft behind or a second or 2 behind the receiver. Hopefully today he will get it right.

Hopefully today the end game will be irrelevant?

On 10/30/2021 at 3:11 PM, DuckIt said:

Is AB growing up before our eyes?  He threw the ball away on 1st down, then runs for TD.  When that gets called back, he delivers a strike to the end zone.

Definitely played his best game here today. Last week looked pretty good too. 

Besides the poor clock management at the end of the half I really have no complaints. The defense has looked good when they want to, but it's definitely not a real consistent effort.

From the couch, you keep the first team defense in so you can play the second team offense. The second team defense is getting plenty of reps, we need to get the back-ups on offense on the field!

• Thumbs Up 1

Points scored by Colorado against:
Texas A&M - 7
Minnesota - 0
ASU - 13
USC - 14
Cal - 3
Oregon - 21 with a quarter to go...

Glad to see the our offense is really clicking!

Edited by deschutesduck

So, maybe there are reasons TT has not been playing?

On 10/30/2021 at 3:43 PM, jrw said:

So, maybe there are reasons TT has not been playing?

Tough to judge off one series but yeah, he looked a little weak on a few throws there for sure.

And this is how you miss the playoffs. Letting up and making it seem like a much closer game then it should be. The 2nd or 3rd string defense did not look good on the last two Colorado possessions.

Oregon's defense is terrible. Allowing 4 touchdowns vs Colorado? 

aTm held them to 7 points.

Minnesota blanked them.

Arizona State held them to 13 points.

USC held them to 14 points.

California held them to a field goal...

And Oregon lets them score four touchdowns! 😡

*Edit

deschutesduck and I agree

Edited by Krsmqn

On 10/30/2021 at 3:53 PM, C J said:

And this is how you miss the playoffs. Letting up and making it seem like a much closer game then it should be. The 2nd or 3rd string defense did not look good on the last two Colorado possessions.

You can't have it both ways. If you want the back-ups to get experience, they have to play.

If they don't play, people yell and scream that they're not getting playing time.

Is anyone getting nervous?

On 10/30/2021 at 3:56 PM, jrw said:

You can't have it both ways. If you want the back-ups to get experience, they have to play.

If they don't play, people yell and scream that they're not getting playing time.

Yeah, it's a tough balance for sure. Guess I was hoping the 2nd and 3rd string D could hold a little better. But I haven't been yelling and screaming about anything this game. 

Seems like a pretty good showing overall.

• Like 1

What a stupid time to take your time out

The Cougs beat ASU in Tempe. Crazy.

We poached DeRuyter from Cal right?  Can we return him to Cal and trade up for their current DC?

• Thumbs Up 1

Wasnt as nice as I thought it could be but we are 4-1 in the PAC. Defense needs 4 Quarters not just a couple.

Cougs are a tad scary.

Backup defensive players got a lot of PT in this game; that at least partly explains Colorado's 29 points. Keeping your top defenders off the field if they're not needed is simply the prudent thing to do, especially given the Ducks' injury situation. You don't want to risk another hurt player to keep one or two meaningless touchdowns off the board. And, the backups get playing time.

WOW! Harsh!

Yeah the D gave up a lot of points but the D, for once, did not have its back to the wall in the 4th Q.

As to DeRuyter, he is doing his best but he was never all that as a HC and no better than slightly above average as a DC.

Look, today we could be Michigan fans? Michigan and its coaching staff kicked that game to the curb.

Without anything going nuts later tonight I see the Committee coming with 1 UGA, 2 Michigan State (SOS really helped by Miami's win at Pitt today,) 3 Alabama (just because it's sweet home Alabama,), 4 Oklahoma, 5 Cincinnati, 6 Oregon and 7 Ohio State?

• Looks like the offense is starting to jell.  52 points is a good game. Am I correct in that I can't recall our offense having to punt!
  •  
  • IMHO it looks like the coaches felt they could beat Colorado with a plain vanilla defense.  Too many yards allowed.  29 points allowed that should've been 0.

A glass half full game!  Offense improved and much better. Defense frustrating! Playing prevent-bend-not-break (but let them score)!  I personally would not like to play so passively!

But a Win is a Win!

•  

On 10/30/2021 at 4:23 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Yeah the D gave up a lot of points but the D, for once, did not have its back to the wall in the 4th Q.

The offense playing well today helped. Otherwise, the defense prolly would have had their backs against the wall in the 4th. 

On 10/30/2021 at 1:23 PM, Jon Joseph said:

As to DeRuyter, he is doing his best but he was never all that as a HC and no better than slightly above average as a DC.

His best isn't good enough, for a team with championship aspirations.

On 10/30/2021 at 1:28 PM, Krsmqn said:

The offense playing well today helped. Otherwise, the defense prolly would have had their backs against the wall in the 4th. 

If the offense struggled like they have in the past, the Ducks would have lost this game, with the defense not showing up.

Like all the games--there are lots of items we would like to see improved.  There is a lot to like on offense from today's game, and I am still confident in the defense when the clutch situations occur in the future.

We won by 23 points...and I had predicted a spread of 22 points (38-16) and while I wish the defense did not give up so much--I am delighted to see more scoring today.

Mr. FishDuck

If, if, if...the only game the Ducks were playing today was this one, not some hypothetical other game in which other things could have happened. And they won, convincingly. Seems pretty good to me.

Edited by jrw

On 10/30/2021 at 5:02 PM, Confused said:

Go Penn State!

This is a tough one because we want our SOS to be as strong as possible, yet if tOSU wins out, they might jump us(assuming we win out, too) in the final CFP rankings. 

Edited by Krsmqn

On 10/30/2021 at 5:08 PM, Krsmqn said:

yet if tOSU wins out, they might jump us(assuming we win out, too) in the final CFP rankings. 

Right now it looks like beating tOSU isn't enough to get the Ducks ahead of them, though Chris Petersen thought they should be. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Some random thoughts...

The O breaks out for 32 first downs!

Cardwell reminds me of Tyner. I'm excited to see more.

I don't recall watching a TD pass thrown while a Buffalo was twisting a Duck's webfoot.

Another 4 4th down attempts against the Ducks. I'm wondering if the Ducks have ever had to face so many 4th down attempts in a season. I think the D needs to do a better job of getting the opponent's offense off the field before they reach Duck territory. 

Go Ducks!