Charles Fischer

Ty Thompson Pulled: "No Conversation to be Had"

(From Oregon Athletics Press Release)

Question:  How did Ty respond to the conversation about putting Anthony back into the game?

CRISTOBAL: "The conversation? Well, there's really no conversation to be had. All the sudden, we let a lot of guys play, and it’s a 16 point game. I want to make sure it's a three-score game. Ty’s an excellent player. He’s done some really good stuff. Yeah, he threw an interception today. We don’t get down on our players when they don’t perform to their capabilities. We just find a way to coach them better and come back. Ty is tough, and is an excellent player who will bounce back."

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

It was a bummer Ty didn't get a chance to go back out and respond to the interception but I can't fault Mario for his decision here.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I thought that was an odd question given that it's pretty clear now that Cristobal isn't the kind of guy that has "conversations" regarding the game decisions that he makes. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Ty did some good things. Unfortunately, a Top Ten team needs to see results and not some good things.

• Like 1

I still don't understand why the backup QB was inserted when it was only a 3-score game with 12 minutes left. Typically that substitution takes place around that time with at least a four-score lead in the fourth quarter. I was upset with Cristobal's decision the moment Ty came in. And bam, the result I feared happened and the opponent scores again, putting the game in jeopardy with so much time remaining. 

On 10/31/2021 at 4:44 AM, Confused said:

The playoffs are an invitational now.  

Always have been. Now the public is salivating over Cincy. We have to become SMU fans, the Mustangs are @ Ciccy in 3 weeks, and Michigan State needs to lose to Purdue, Maryland or Penn State, but beat Ohio State. Nebraska could have helped the Ducks, but they lost to Michigan State in 2 OT.

• Like 1

If you want to get Ty some playing time you play your number 1 defense while you do it. If it was a priority to get Ty some playing time put him in with the 1's, and let him get use to moving the ball.

Right now if AB goes down we aren't ready to have our next man up. It may not be like when Dennis Dixon went down, but we don't have a back-up ready to go, and we should.

It isn't just because we have a tough schedule next year starting out, we need somebody ready to step in and Ty doesn't seem ready. Maybe Mario and Moorhead were setting him up to fail to calm the crowd? I say let him in there with the 1's and get him ready, that may have been the last opportunity until next season in Georgia, yikes!

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 7:10 AM, Haywarduck said:

Maybe Mario and Moorhead were setting him up to fail to calm the crowd?

I was just thinking before you posted this that Mario's response to Ty's performance was, "See"

I think MC again sort of listened to us at Fishduck. He's been getting grief over NOT being able to just grind the clock out and win the game by not giving the ball back.

Well, there was 6 minutes? left in the game so he sent the ones back out and said "go kill the clock and win the game ( insert Cuban accent).

Which they then did

A teaching moment for players and coaches 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/31/2021 at 7:18 AM, shawnski said:

I think MC again sort of listened to us at Fishduck. He's been getting grief over NOT being able to just grind the clock out and win the game by not giving the ball back.

Well, there was 6 minutes? left in the game so he sent the ones back out and said "go kill the clock and win the game ( insert Cuban accent).

Which they then did

Agree, well done Fishduck Nation!

5shc2j.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Some interesting takes on this.

As a head coach, any head coach, your goal is 1-0 every week you play. During the game there probably are zero thoughts of Georgia, BYU or any team. Just what is at hand before you. ( us fans get the privilege to looking ahead. It's our duty)

Must admit I had an uneasy moment when TT threw the pick. After all, Colorado was moving and scoring with ease against the 2's and 3's. This team, the crowd, the fan base and the members on this sight did not need a potential one score game. Again....

MC made coaching decisions to win the game. I give him his due. 

Awesome game by the players. On a day where AB and the offense moved the ball and scored at will, TT should have made a better choice on that play.  With more time and the willingness to improve I am sure he will learn from this and grow.

This youngsters mistake did not cost the team the game. Hopefully, down the road, the lesson learned wins the team a game. 

After all,  TT is just one play away from being the number one QB....

Go Ducks. Win this week, TT, 2's and 3's work harder and smarter this week. Come home from the land of outer darkness next Saturday 8-1.

• Like 1

Hello all, I guess this is as good a place as any for a first post. I’ll have to watch the interception again, but my first thought when I saw the slow motion replay on Fox was that TT was trying to throw it behind him a bit. It looked as though he would’ve led him right into a DB and possibly a punishing hit had he thrown it out front. A lot of good QB’s will do that to protect their WR’s. I could be wrong, but that was my first impression.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

Dr. JacksPlaidPants

Good observation and welcome. 

Just re watching the game now. Will replay that sequence and see.

On 10/31/2021 at 7:18 AM, shawnski said:

Which they then did

Huge, huge and huge observation by you and moment for the team.  Hope the lesson sticks!

Mr. FishDuck

Ty played pretty well back in the Stoneybrook? game. Solid throws, TD’s and read the defense well. Yes, it was SB. He seemed pretty calm taking the reigns against the Buffs, had a nice pass and a run but threw short on the pass just before and might have been pushing it in forcing that pass. We had scored on every possession and maybe that was in his head?  I’m sure he wants that one back, and hopefully he’ll learn from that.

Certainly did not look “Brownesque” and easy to see on that series why AB is the starter. Then AB comes back in and proves the point. 

Glad Ty got in there tho, it seemed good timing, we were up by three scores. MC was willing to give him a shot, then take it away with underperforming - maybe there is two lessons there. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 3:09 AM, toketeeman said:

I still don't understand why the backup QB was inserted when it was only a 3-score game with 12 minutes left. Typically that substitution takes place around that time with at least a four-score lead in the fourth quarter. I was upset with Cristobal's decision the moment Ty came in. And bam, the result I feared happened and the opponent scores again, putting the game in jeopardy with so much time remaining. 

Exactly.  And don't forget Ty was playing with 2nd team offense too.   Mario should've let him use the 1st team.   I bet the INT wouldn't have happened.   Another poor coaching decision, IMHO.  Fortunately he adjusted this time and didn't cost us a game.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/31/2021 at 12:26 PM, DuckFan93 said:

Exactly.  And don't forget Ty was playing with 2nd team offense too.   Mario should've let him use the 1st team.   I bet the INT wouldn't have happened.   Another poor coaching decision, IMHO.  Fortunately he adjusted this time and didn't cost us a game.

The second string was also on the field on defense. The 2nd teamers were all getting reps. 

Colorado kept on the gas and the defense wasn't able to slow them down so to preserve a solid win MC out back in the 1s on offense to finish the game. 

On 10/31/2021 at 10:10 AM, 30Duck said:

Always have been. Now the public is salivating over Cincy. We have to become SMU fans, the Mustangs are @ Ciccy in 3 weeks, and Michigan State needs to lose to Purdue, Maryland or Penn State, but beat Ohio State. Nebraska could have helped the Ducks, but they lost to Michigan State in 2 OT.

SMU? Maybe Houston instead? SMU had the game at Houston in hand with under a minute left and Sonny Dykes decides to KO deep to one of if not the best return guys in the Country?  Thanks Sonny. Here's your $M + pay check. As of now, Cincy has both SMU and Houston down the road. Both AP ranked. Houston 20 and SMU 23. No ranked team for Oregon to play against.

Re: Ty Thompson……mistakes happen!  Maybe he’ll learn from this one!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/30/2021 at 9:04 PM, Charles Fischer said:

(From Oregon Athletics Press Release)

Question:  How did Ty respond to the conversation about putting Anthony back into the game?

CRISTOBAL: "The conversation? Well, there's really no conversation to be had. All the sudden, we let a lot of guys play, and it’s a 16 point game. I want to make sure it's a three-score game. Ty’s an excellent player. He’s done some really good stuff. Yeah, he threw an interception today. We don’t get down on our players when they don’t perform to their capabilities. We just find a way to coach them better and come back. Ty is tough, and is an excellent player who will bounce back."

How are Michigan fans responding to Harbaugh in the 4th Q putting in a true frosh who produced back to back turn overs instead of keeping in Junior QB McNamara (from Reno) who was playing great in the game?

Lots of damned if you do or don't in this situation.  Play the 5* or they are gone? But frosh will make frosh mistakes. Just like OK's Williams did last week at Kansas.

Michigan State dramatically outcoached Michigan in the 4th Q of the game in E Lansing. Harbaugh is 2-9 vs ranked teams on the road.

And in TT's case, it's not like AB was having a bad game, he wasn't. 

Perhaps this should shut up many of us including me, who want to see more of TT ?

With Oregon's remaining SOS, style points are going to matter; hopefully, on the day of the final Committee Poll. 

Even at 12-1 Oregon could be on PO thin ice.

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing I noticed was TT's eyes... they were not scanning the defense over and over like you see every other QB's eyes. I thought right away that this was not good. Maybe he was looking a lot more at the defense when the cameras were not on him, I was surprised at the time. He didn't look at all like he looked against SB. He had a little "deer in the headlights" look to him. He very much looked like a frosh. 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 7:50 PM, Jon Joseph said:

CINCY would as of now play Houston in the AAC champ game.

Go Houston!