FishDuck Article

Oregon Football: Cardwell the Ducks’ Next Star RB?

It was the hit heard around the sports world. In 2009, the Oregon Ducks had just lost 19-8 at Boise State. In Chip Kelly’s first year as head coach, it was a difficult loss on national television for the Ducks, who were coming off a huge Rose Bowl win the previous year. Postgame emotions were running high, to say the ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

He's certainly off to a good start. If he could replicate Marshall's versality the Ducks would be in great shape.

The next star running back, he is actually only averaging 10 yds. a carry, not 18 yds, for the season. I certainly was joking, the young man looks like the real deal, and with Mr. McGee we seem to have replacements for both our seniors, but not all of them are ready.

I would say they have the potential to both be upgrades, with all due respect to Dye and Verdell. What we need now is more playing time for all the back-ups who will be taking over for the seniors at critical positions. 

For Cardwell and McGee it will be easy to blend in there playing time. Dye still can be the feature back. Just keep playing them like they did yesterday, there wasn't much of a drop off, as stated, 18 yds per carry, wow.

With Ty he needs to be put in there for one or two set plays he practices all week. Put him in, and let him see what live action football looks like, but set him up for success with the 1's. If he starts against Georgia, in Atlanta, after playing with the 2's and 3's and struggling we haven't set him up properly for success.  His one reception, other than the interception, was to a walk-on they had in the game. 

We have to play for this season, I agree. It doesn't mean we have to be blind to what is going to happen next season. These young guys are capable of being the next stars, but you have to let them shine a little.

5shah5.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I love the looks of this player, but his touchdown is all on the Offensive Line, as any of the backs could have ran through that massive hole.  We cannot forget that Sean Dollar is also good, and he is recovering from injury!

Sean Dollars_Dennis Hammond Photography.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

My DVR recorded the game in both Spanish and the regular Fox broadcast.  The Spanish version started on time, so I watched for the first Quarter while the Spartans were at it.

On Cardwell's first long run the announcer's description was priceless " Wupppp, ADIOS"

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Cardwell looked really good taking advantage of some huge holes. I was equally impressed by 7M. His blitz pickup allowed AB to find Franklin for the TD, he ran tough, caught the ball, and forced a fumble on kickoff coverage.

On 10/31/2021 at 9:36 AM, DuckPhan19 said:

Cardwell looked really good taking advantage of some huge holes. I was equally impressed by 7M. His blitz pickup allowed AB to find Franklin for the TD, he ran tough, caught the ball, and forced a fumble on kickoff coverage.

I agree. I was more impressed with McGee than Cardwell. McGee looks really fast and versatile, and he plays way beyond his size.

Maybe a hidden silver lining with the unfortunate loss of CJ. Dye steps up big and it opens significant playing time for both Cardwell and McGee. They look good for their “young-ness” and it sows optimism for next year.

And Dollars should be getting close to returning. A potential three headed monster in the backfield. 

Byron Cardwell has a nice blend of size (6'0/215 Pounds) and athleticism. He can bend and sink which makes his  Stop/Start difficult for a would-be tackler to square up on him. He is an elite Gap Bouncer with vision to turn a 3 yard loss into a chunk play. But what sets him apart is his elusiveness combined with an NFL-Level stiff arm.

Someone on the Duck Territory board comped him to Le'Veon Bell right after he committed to Oregon. I couldn't agree more with this comparison. He has great Hand/Eye and body control. He catches the ball out away from his frame as a receiver. He is a big time threat in the passing game.

Something people miss about him is his ability to "get small" down inside the 10 yard line to slide through a seam in the wall at the LOS. but to also protect himself where the big contact happens.

Oregon has had quite a few really fine running backs over the years. Byron Cardwell may very well be one of the best ever. He is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 11:22 AM, ChicoDuck1 said:

Byron Cardwell may very well be one of the best ever. He is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. 

ChicoDuck!  Thanks so much for sharing your expertise on this running back....your words are exciting!

Mr. FishDuck

"In 2009, the Oregon Ducks had just lost 19-8 at Boise State. In Chip Kelly’s first year as head coach, it was a difficult loss on national television for the Ducks, who were coming off a huge Rose Bowl win the previous year. " 

The Ducks went to the Rose Bowl in 2008? Pretty sure it was the Holiday Bowl , and they beat Okie St. 

Right? 🤔

However, they did make it to the Rose Bowl in 2009, where they lost to Ohio State. 😒

Cardwell definitely looked good, though. Excited to see him further. 

Edited by Krsmqn

Chico love to hear your take. To me he just seems special, and I can't articulate it, but just say he has something going on. 

You articulate specifics so well. An NFL level stiff arm is extremely exciting. 

I also know there are times it seems I could make that pass or run through that gap when a talented player makes a play. I also know it isn't as easy as an elite talent makes it look. I look forward to your astute views on coming topics, even qb's, if we ever get enough footage!

On 10/31/2021 at 1:32 PM, Haywarduck said:

Chico love to hear your take. To me he just seems special, and I can't articulate it, but just say he has something going on. 

You articulate specifics so well. An NFL level stiff arm is extremely exciting. 

I also know there are times it seems I could make that pass or run through that gap when a talented player makes a play. I also know it isn't as easy as an elite talent makes it look. I look forward to your astute views on coming topics, even qb's, if we ever get enough footage!

Thank you