Jon Joseph

TEAR DOWN THAT STATUE!

Gary Patterson out at TCU. A Rose Bowl winner. And a guy whose likeness sits outside of the stadium.

USC, LSU, TEXAS TECH, TCU all open.

On 10/31/2021 at 5:49 PM, Jon Joseph said:

USC, LSU, TEXAS TECH, TCU all open.

Maybe they should all just switch jobs?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Wow.  When Chip left...my short list to hire (and who were HOT at that time) were Mark Helfrich, Rich Rod, Gus Malzahn, and Gary Patterson.  All eventually fired.....  Whew!  

Although Rich Rod did not always have a cheery disposition...

Rich Rod azcatszone.com - Copy - Copy.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

RR is happier now that the litigation against him and AZ has been dismissed. If Joe Moorhead was to trip to a vacancy, I failed to mention WAZZU, RR would not be a bad OC, except for the PR, hire.

I will not be surprised if the Nebraska job opens up. And whatever guy goes to LSU/USC will tip a lot of coaching dominoes.

New 'hot guy' is Dave Aranda. Who grew up in California. Outstanding effort as a DC in the SEC and has turned Baylor around in year 2.

After Saturday, LSU has to be all-in on Mel Tucker who played ball at Wisconsin but has extensive pro and SEC coaching experience. The last guy LSU hired from MI ST turned out to be a damn good hire. Some guy named Nick Saban.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/31/2021 at 6:45 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I will not be surprised if the Nebraska job opens up

But it won't if Scott and the Cornhuskers Pop Ohio State this Saturday, right? It could happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/31/2021 at 9:58 PM, 30Duck said:

But it won't if Scott and the Cornhuskers Pop Ohio State this Saturday, right? It could happen.

And I could win the lottery? But I guess I'd have to buy a ticket?

Good news regarding Mario. Diaz with back to back Ws over NC ST and Pitt is for now, off the Miami hot seat.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/31/2021 at 11:06 PM, Jon Joseph said:

And I could win the lottery? But I guess I'd have to buy a ticket?

Good news regarding Mario. Diaz with back to back Ws over NC ST and Pitt is for now, off the Miami hot seat.

I don’t think MC would be so inclined to jump on the Miami job. The team gets no support from the administration. Their stadium is a 45 minute drive from campus and is never even half full. They also make their students athletes qualify academically which isn’t easy for a top 50 university. Long story short, the glory days of “The U” are long gone and are never coming back. 

Kind of interesting with Scot Frost. What do you do when you hire your dream coach, who has had massive success, and he fails?

Do you just drop football because they aren't going to do better than Frost?

He is Nebraska hero, National Coach of the Year, kind of won a national title, and can't win at Nebraska, who can?

The same kind of story is happening at Michigan, but not quite the train wreck Frost is. I suppose the excuse is Frost can't recruit in Nebraska?

This has to shake up Nebraska fans to their foundation, right?

On 11/1/2021 at 7:07 AM, Haywarduck said:

Frost can't recruit in Nebraska?

Score !

• Thanks 1

I guess the trend in college football now is to act immediately when a season spirals downward. In the cases of USC and LSU, I can MAYBE understand it. For TCU, though, you'd think Patterson deserved the grace of letting him finish the season as head coach and then giving him the chance to "retire" once the season ends. What was TCU football before he got there? Even with the ugly scene after the SMU game, this just seems wrong to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seriously, I think Michigan and Michigan St are both quality teams this season.

It is no longer just about recruiting. Michigan had far more highly ranked recruits on the field in E Lansing than did Sparty.

Mel Tucker beamed in 40 (!) guys from the portal who he molded into a team in a short period of time.  One of these guys, RB Walker who transferred in from Wake Forest,  is a legitimate contender  for the Heisman.

One of these 2, I think, will play in the Rose Bowl and MI ST is in PO contention and will be highly ranked Tuesday night; likely above both Oregon and Ohio State?

Nebraska was never a 'fit' for the B1G. Nebraska was never the same after being blown out by Miami in the 2001 BCS champ game; a Oregon should have played in. Nebraska made terrible coaching fires and hires: Callahan and Pelleni?  Frank Solich never should have been fired. Nebraska in the B1G is a corn cob out of its husk. Money matters but with Texas gone a move back to the B12 might make sense for Nebraska?

On 11/1/2021 at 7:07 AM, Haywarduck said:

Kind of interesting with Scot Frost. What do you do when you hire your dream coach, who has had massive success, and he fails?

Do you just drop football because they aren't going to do better than Frost?

He is Nebraska hero, National Coach of the Year, kind of won a national title, and can't win at Nebraska, who can?

The same kind of story is happening at Michigan, but not quite the train wreck Frost is. I suppose the excuse is Frost can't recruit in Nebraska?

This has to shake up Nebraska fans to their foundation, right?

As mentioned above, Miami's glory days are gone and probably not coming back.  The days of corn fed hogs dominating the offensive line and running the wishbone are gone too.  Oklahoma has kept it going, Nebraska...all I can think of is some Stephen King horror about the children of the Corn.

Looks like Sonny Dykes is the #1 choice for TX TECH and TCU with TCU favored. A good SMU team in a great location is being lost in the conference re-shuffle.

Another item is it could be said we reacted to Helfrich in the same way. His downfall was extremely rapid. From leader of a Heisman winning qb, our lone college championship game to being fired in a short time.

I suppose starting with a win at the Alamo should have sent up warning signals if we really knew our history. In the end we lost The Alamo and it wasn't a pretty ending.

• Like 1

I think the next big time coach to be let go will UF's Dan Mullen? I think with Alberts as the Nebraska AD Frost gets another year?