Steven A

Has Joe Moorehead Finally Figured Out Anthony Brown?

In the last 2½ games, we have finally seen consistency from AB.

This coincides with Moorehead missing the Stanford game and being in the booth for Cal, UCLA and CU.

And maybe he was “in the booth” for the Stanford game watching from his hospital bed.

We have to remember that Moorehead really didn’t have a year with AB in 2020 as: 1) Covid SEVERELY limited their time together; and, 2) Tyler Slough was the 1st teamer.

So now, after 5½ weeks (starting with the second half of the Cal game) Moorehead has a complete picture of what AB can and cannot not due.  The play calling has dramatically changed to mainly use AB strengths.

Ohio State was the anomaly, but that may have been due to Moorehead game planning ahead of time what he thought would work best and it just coincided with AB’s strengths. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Steven A

Great ponder points.

I don't think AB had enough time in 2020 to understand all the nuances of JM's offense. Spot on... 

And it took that stinging Stanford loss to wake up the entire offense. Whatever happened during the bye week between JM and the players, we need more of.

It could have gone either way. Coach not getting thru to player or vice versus. Either way, let's hope the understanding, communicating  and execution continues.

Wouldn't 45 to 50 points on the puppies look good foe the Ducks?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/1/2021 at 12:50 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Wouldn't 45 to 50 points on the puppies look good foe the Ducks?

Especially if we can hold them to sub 20!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/1/2021 at 12:53 PM, David Marsh said:

Let's ask JJ if this is the week the Ducks beat the spread as the favorite.

This is a REALLY GOOD observation, and I would love for it to be true.  In those three games...Brown has performed better-and-better, and the timing could be better!

I hope you are right, and nice catch!

Anthony Brown_Tom Corno.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/1/2021 at 4:01 PM, Steven A said:

Let's ask JJ if this is the week the Ducks beat the spread as the favorite.

Coming with my picks Thursday. Draft Kings has Oregon -6.5 at UW - O/U 51 - Today, I'm leaning toward taking Oregon -6.5 and the Under?

I've read in a couple reports that AB's improvement is because Moorhead simplified the offense due to his struggles on the "read" portion of the RPO. 

On 11/1/2021 at 1:28 PM, kirklandduck said:

struggles on the "read" portion of the RPO. 

There were indications of that, so if that was the case, good job, Coach Moorhead.

Brown is adequate at the Zone Read of a defender--usually, but the RPO part is done in milliseconds.  The TD called back was a beautiful Inverted Veer that bounced outside and AB made the perfect read of the defender to pull the ball.

But I can see how RPOs are tougher.  We did pretty good without the RPO this last game, and perhaps the hesitation is why the passes came later as he felt so hurried?

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

We ponder the why while they have to figure out the why. Fortunately they seemed to have figured out the why. Hopefully they  keep it going through the end of the season, or we will have to ponder the why, and hope they figure it out next season.

I suppose that is what each side, the fan, and the coach do. The pressure is on the coaches, we fans can be wrong all the time, kind of nice.

On 11/1/2021 at 1:39 PM, Charles Fischer said:

But I can see how RPOs are tougher.  We did pretty good without the RPO this last game, and perhaps the hesitation is why the passes came later as he felt so hurried?

I feel that's the case with AB, he just can't process the RPO as fast as Moorhead needs him to so the schemes were adjusted for that.  The best OCs tailor their offenses around the QB not the other way around, Moorhead has obviously done that the last couple games and it really shows in AB's improvement.  I'm cautiously optimistic of Oregon going into the puppies' house and stealing their doggy treats. 

On 11/1/2021 at 12:50 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

And it took that stinging Stanford loss to wake up the entire offense.

I think it took some fans booing MC and staff for a change to happen. I do like JM in the booth better though.

On 11/1/2021 at 12:53 PM, David Marsh said:

Well yes of course!  Hope so

On 11/1/2021 at 2:36 PM, criticalduck said:

I think it took some fans booing MC and staff for a change to happen. I do like JM in the booth better though.

I'll respectfully disagree.  I don't think booing had any causal effect on any changes made by Cristobal and his staff.  I think film study, practice and discussion is what caused any changes.

On 11/1/2021 at 2:56 PM, DuckHeart said:

I don't think booing had any causal effect on any changes made by Cristobal and his staff.

I respectfully disagree with you because MC told the fans the didn't like that "shit" and things changed more in last couple of games after than in all of his time here. The glasses we wear and drink from are different from our own personal experiences as fans.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/1/2021 at 3:17 PM, criticalduck said:

MC told the fans the didn't like that "shit"

For those that wonder about the "keep it clean" part of the rules?  That is what Cristobal said, so this time I am allowing it.

The good news is that there was none on this last Saturday!

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/1/2021 at 6:47 PM, Charles Fischer said:

For those that wonder about the "keep it clean" part of the rules?  That is what Cristobal said, so this time I am allowing it.

The good news is that there was none on this last Saturday!

Last Saturday, Gameday celebrated the 10th anniversary of Lee Corso's F-Bomb. 

• Haha 1