Steven A

And How Is That Going For You Coach Lake?

Washington doesn’t consider Oregon a recruiting rival.

“I don’t think so,” Lake said. “I think that is way more pumped up than it is. Our battles are really – the schools that we go against are way more — have academic prowess, like the University of Washington; Notre Dame, Stanford, USC. We go with a lot of battles toe-to-toe all the way to the end with those schools. So I think that’s made up a lot and pumped up in your world. In our world, we battle more academically prowess teams.”

Per Oregonian https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2021/11/jimmy-lake-washington-isnt-battling-oregon-in-recruiting-huskies-competing-with-more-academically-prowess-teams.html

Looks like he might be tempering the disappointment of 3 in a row and what, 14 out of 16?

You know, we joke about Washington being delusional, and then they prove it with something like that. 

Is that you Ty? I thought you were busy with the PO Committee?

Ah-ha when the ol' academic stats have to come out midseason instead of the on-field stats, you know your team is in trouble. Maybe they can spend next Saturday calculating Oregon's CFP chances after moving to 8-1.

• Thumbs Up 1

Admittedly I do not know much about the academics at Washington, but this is the first I've heard someone compare them to Notre Dame, Stanford, and USC.

Self proclaimed Stanford of the North, more like Stanfurd.

Reminds about the joke about Volvo's Click and Clack use to tell. A Volvo owner believe three things about their car.  One it is the safest car, two it is the most reliable car and three, theirs is the only exception to the first two rules. 

A dawg alumni believes three things about the uw.  Their football team is the greatest, their academic experience was the best, and their time at UW was the only exception to the first two rules. Delusional dawgs fans abound.

• Haha 2

It is the only fallback they have....I know it well from a tasty article I wrote a few years ago where I relished lampooning Husky fans.  So after I skewered everything about them--the "we have superior academics" is trotted out.

So then I told him that, "most everyone would admit that the top four academically in this conference would be Stanford, Cal, UCLA and USC.  So that puts you in the middle third of the conference....NICE!"

The blustering in response was funny and then he resorted to "at least we are better than Oregon in academics."  Yep, I replied, "but that is not what is on the football field is it?"

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

It is not where you go, or what you get, it is what you do with what you got. The dawgs are stuck on the first two, where I went and what I can get. 

I will also say this is what use to be called bulletin board stuff. If the players needed something else to fire themselves up, here it is.

5sn9q2.jpg

• Haha 1

On 11/1/2021 at 6:37 PM, Charles Fischer said:

"most everyone would admit that the top four academically in this conference would be Stanford, Cal, UCLA and USC.  So that puts you in the middle third of the conference....NICE!"

That would put Washington in the "average" position with respect to academics in the Pac12.

I am reminded of what I was advised many years ago................."average = the best of the worst".

• Haha 1

According to Scott Eklund at 247/7 sports among the list of reasons ....

ACADEMICS

Right now this is the hot answer to give when a recruit is asked about what he's looking for in a program. Lots of kids say academics are their first priority, yet they go on to spurn top-rated academic institutions, who also have very good football programs, to sign with "football factories" whose academics aren't on par with the schools they also had committable offers from.

This is not an indictment of the prospects or the process, it is up to the coaching staffs at each school to promote their program and brand and show them why they need to sign with their school. However, some fans have a hard time understanding why kids choose schools when they have stated many times that they are looking for a school with strong academics. While it's important in the grand scheme of the decision-making process and the overall picture, being a top-rated academic institution plays a very small part in where a prospect decides to sign.

https://247sports.com/college/washington/LongFormArticle/how-why-prospects-choose-sign-commit-team-progam-team-college-football-recruiting-washington-huskies-174320732/#174320732_1

Watching Lake on the sidelines I have come to dislike him a lot. He complains about everything.

On 11/2/2021 at 5:37 AM, TheRunningDuck said:

Watching Lake on the sidelines I have come to dislike him a lot. He complains about everything.

Agree, but it is when a coach or individual comes up with excuses they cross a line for me. The refs impacted the Stanford game, but we let it become a factor. Lake seems like he is in panic mode when he starts making excuses like the academic one above.

I do think it helps us because players eat this stuff up. Some of these guys don't have the rivalry intensity needed, but a coach basically calling them dumb, bring it on.

Well the football bragging rights will handled this Saturday.......

I wonder how long Lake keeps his job as he looks for the academic athlete.  Results matter, Jimmy.

What a pompous and arrogant attack. Those comments could be considered insulting to the many athletes throughout the PAC. 

You know the young men and women student athletes who grind thru the process. Jimmy all schools are recruiting student athletes. 

Go Ducks.........

I think Lake gets one more year so long as he dumps OC Donovan?

Lots of UW folks who wanted Smith out of the OC job and cheered when he went to OR ST now want him back as Husky HC.

Man This guy just poured gas on an exsisting fire. 

Respect for its former football coach?  Can a University President "throw-shade?"

• Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Oh Jimmy Lake. 

is that Dr Jimmy? Professor PhD Jimmy? Dean Jimmy? Department head jimmy? Research scientist Jimmy? 

Nope, it’s just subpar football coach and mediocre recruiter jimmy lake who has zero credit for or connection to any of UW’s academic mojo yet chooses to hang his reputation and sense of rivalry on other than football because he can’t say one single thing about UW football being equal to or better than Oregon’s. 

Jimmy knows what’s coming Saturday and his tail is tucked. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

If you’re going to suggest your football team’s recruiting capability is better than another’s by means of academic excellence, you’d best be sure your public statements reflect that reality. When Jimmy Lake says, “. . . We battle more academically prowess teams”, he employs the word ‘prowess’ incorrectly. Prowess is a noun, and a noun can not modify another (team) noun. Such a statement requires an adjective. Corrected, the statement might read, ‘we battle more academically superior teams’. 

So far, what Jimmy says doesn’t reflect what Jimmy does.

Haha! A bit of coach trolling. Let's hope the Duck players and coaches don't get overly emotional on Saturday.

Edited by DimpleDucks

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/2/2021 at 10:29 AM, 30Duck said:

The great thing about the rivalry Cristobal had with tosu, is he lost the recruiting rivalry, but won on the field. The man is learning to win in both situations which is critical. We have a great recruiter who is becoming a savvy coach, not sure what the dawgs have? Hard to tell with his foot in his mouth.

5spu0q.jpg

• Haha 1

Ah, Washington,  Oregon has a Heisman winner, Washington? No.  Oregon beat Washington 12 years in a row, 3 graduating classes in a row, at their stellar hall of Academia Never experienced beating Oregon,,, and most important.

Ducks can fly

giphy.gif

And Huskies can't

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

On 11/2/2021 at 6:51 AM, Confused said:

Lol!

Never fails. Just when you think the elitist Dawg is sleeping, he wakes to howl at the moon. Funny thing, it’s overcast in Seattle. 

On 11/1/2021 at 5:03 PM, Steven A said:

Self proclaimed Stanford of the North, more like Stanfurd.

The outcome of this game could easily lead to the appellation, "Fanturd", if things go the way Duck fans hope.

Didn't we just flip 2 of his recruits Mels and Roberts. And didn't he lose the#1 2021 player Toamoluo (sic) to tOSU from out of the Seattle area. Haha

On this day I am reminded of one of the best forum handles in the history of typing

Owen Twelve