Haywarduck

One Concern

Anthony Brown is who he is, limited passer, but a leader on the team. The players seem to rally around him and respond well to any mistake he makes, along with his weaknesses. The player I am concerned about is Mycah Pittman. 

Everybody makes mistakes, but selfish penalties where you put your team second can kill a teams energy. Great teams rally around each player and make up for mistakes and weaknesses. They never put themselves first. This is exactly what killed, and will probably continue to kill the sc program.

Pittman is only a sophomore, but to me he is becoming a reductive element on the team. We need as many additive players on offense as possible, even if it is just their attitude. Maybe Dye can pull him aside and talk to him. I love his talent, passion, but the guy needs to become a player, that adds to the whole.

I look for Mycah to grow going forward. This team is greater than the sum of its parts, a defining component of any great team. We need everyone to continue to make that grow, and can't afford anyone taking away from that dynamic!

• Thumbs Up 4

Haywood his punt return did get us the winning td. I know the PF was bad but it's going to happen occasionally in games like this. I just wish the refs would let them play 

The facemask thing was dumb. However, there was a lot of pushing and proding coming from the Washington nokayer too that didn't entirely look legal as well. 

Not excusing it, Pittman does need to control his emotions a bit better because the facemask was a reaction to something and not poor technique. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Games like this and teams like the dawgs are the perfect situation to test your emotions. Much like an O-line which has to stay set while craziness happens around it. Offsides kills drives and O-line's have to control that.

The big thing I see is, much like an O-line, you have to be in control. The other is it is an opportunity to get the opposing team to lose it. If Pittman or any other player truly wants to win that type of battle, get the penalty on the opposing team.

I would think this is coached as kids need to be able to see past their emotions.  You're right they will react, if not coached. Kids will go offsides, kids will get PF's called, but the next step is to frustrate the opposing team so much they lose it. 

That is where Pittman needs to take his focus. I hope and expect he will, I do know it isn't easy, but that is the next level he needs to get too.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm concerned about our clock management and use of time outs.  It is inexcusable what MC did at the end of the 1st half.

He called 2 time outs that could have turned out terrible for the Ducks.  I can be OK with the 1st TO since we were near midfield, but then run 2 straight times?

If you are going to call 2 TOs, you are trying to score and not run out the clock.  You have to throw it once in that position. 

I'm not a huge fan of Mario, but here is what he has accomplished as the Oregon head coach. 

Won 2 Pac 12 championships, which is tied for 2nd behind Chip. His 33 wins is tied for 6th all time.  His winning percentage is 2nd all time.  He isn't just only a recruiter. 

One might say Oregon doesn't have football history, so his accomplishments don't mean as much.  I feel they should mean that much more because it is hard to win at Oregon. 

Mario is a flawed head coach for sure, but to think the Ducks can get a new HC better is not a sure thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Young athletes have ego's, Mycah is one of the up and comers of the team.  His freshman season, much was expected of him before he broke his arm/wrist.  Much has changed since then.  Coaching change, Covid, short 2020 season, Quarterbacks, no longer a primary target and Sophomore slump?  Not all his fault, some on the QB's, not getting the ball to receivers and in stride.  

An athlete of his caliber feels the frustration of not being a part of the team, not getting his touches.  There is a bigger picture too.  Things that will make him better moving forward for us and towards the NFL.  This is his third year, a growing year.  Very possible, he was looking to go early to the draft.  Hopefully, it all gets figured out but do not single him out.  Growing young man, does not need to be blasted for a poor mistake.

A lot of pressure when your team is on the bubble of the CFP and those little mistakes can knock you out.  Let us just hope CMC can keep the coaches and players focused to continue this run as long as they may.  And just maybe, we will see our Ducks in the Championship game, finally getting the Monkey off our backs.  Is it possible, ask the Ohio State.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/7/2021 at 5:26 PM, EzDucksIt said:

An athlete of his caliber feels the frustration of not being a part of the team, not getting his touches. 

I think you nailed it on the head here, EzDucksit, in regards to Mycah Pittman. I have watched and listened to several of his interviews this season and the impression I get is that he is frustrated by how infrequently he is targeted in the offense that Oregon is now running given the limited passing skills of AB. 

In one recent interview Pittman made the comment that he, and several other U of O receivers, would be able to put up the kind of numbers USC wide receiver Drake London was putting up if they were targeted as much as he is. I thought that was a telling comment.

It's a tough time to be a talented receiver on the U of O roster. Pittman's dream is to follow his brother and be a star in the NFL. He isn't having, and isn't going to have, the kind of season that is going to get the kind of attention he needs for NFL teams to be interested in him. At this point, he is a player who isn't going to get selected in the draft should he decide to leave after this season, and that bothers him.

Also, there was a lot that went on before he grabbed the Washington players' face mask. There is a famous saying in football that the ref never sees what happened first, only what happened second. Still, the penalties by Forsyth (I'm not even sure what he did. I couldn't see any infraction on his part in the replay) and Pittman took the Ducks out of scoring range and could have ended up really hurting the team. 

It's on the coaches to clean that stuff up because the teams Oregon has coming up will make a point of trying to get under Oregon's skin; and what is with all of the false start penalties? Late foolish penalties have been a real problem in the last several games and if it doesn't stop, something like Stanford will come back to haunt the Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Throwing into the wind off Mistake Lake would be a major challenge to any QB without experience in that situation.

What surprised me is the Be-Fuskled QB had as much trouble as he did, given he gets to practice there!

Sheesh!