Haywarduck

Cristobal Deserves Some Love!

There is plenty to criticize, from his timeouts, to his at times, seemingly extreme conservative guidance of a once dynamic offense. But with that said, what do you most like about Mario!

My biggest like is his winning. Plain and simple, I don't always love the way he has Oregon win, but you can't argue with the outcome he has had after the utter destruction of our once proud program. We are back and going the right direction under Mario's leadership.

Just liking his winning worries me a bit, but I do like his earnest intensity. I suppose that kind of defines him as a person. When you look at the guy he seems to ooze integrity and a drive to succeed. The success is what attracts me to his coaching, but I do appreciate having a coach who seems so intensely driven to get us to where we all want the Oregon Football Program to get too. I love the guy, Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 2

On 11/7/2021 at 5:16 PM, Haywarduck said:

When you look at the guy he seems to ooze integrity and a drive to succeed. The success is what attracts me to his coaching, but I do appreciate having a coach who seems so intensely driven to get us to where we all want the Oregon Football Program to get too. I love the guy, Go Ducks!

To the media he takes on the faceless opponent mantra... But he knows who Oregon's rivals are and embraces those games. 

In many ways he seems to get the PAC better than even Kelly did/does... Helfrich understood it but didn't really feel it. And Taggart is an east coast guy who didn't want to get to know the PAC. 

Love it or hate it... The pac-12 is a special conference and though we largely look bad nationally right now we do make games interesting. 

• Thumbs Up 3

MC is a jewel. He is driven and let's the team play speak for itself. Just ask the puppies.

Coach was quiet and classy all week. But there he was, less than a minute to play, stuffing that ball in the end zone.  Passion, passion and more passion 

And he has built a recruiting power house. MC is going to do it his way. His results speak volumes. He will not settle for anything less than National Champion. 

Hope we keep him long enough for his plan to come to fruition.

Love it Coach.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

He is definitely a great recruiter and I think that is part of what I like about him so much. Mario bleeds green and yellow.  The players saw it back when they pretty much convinced Mullens to hire him, and sometimes an AD will throw out that endorsement immediately.

He has much to learn about being a head coach, not surprising. Saban changed his outlook after years of experience because he realized he had no choice if he wanted to keep winning, He's made more shifts this season than in the other years here combined.

He wants to be here, and I'm glad for that.

• Thumbs Up 2

SPOT ON TAKE!

I have been as critical of MC as has been anyone. Yet and despite my many doubts, he is really showing growth;  growth,  posted booed (as 1st so noted by Charles.)

In 2021 with a game manager at  QB (and no one in the QB room has overtaken AB) and with one of the youngest rosters in the country. to have the Ducks #3 Tuesday night?

At the very least he deserves a Big Hug!

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

Pac 12 feels like the Mosh Pit, Thunderdome, get in there and hope you come out with some teeth.  At the beginning of the year, I would have thought ASU, USC, UCLA as the strength of the South.  The North led by Oregon, Washington or Washington State.

The Covid year, did not allow for any real growth.  Really could not tell if coaches and systems clicked with the teams or players.  But honestly, I could not tell if Arroyo ever really left.  That, in my mind is a Cristobal problem.

I do not expect Moorhead to be here next year with all the openings already.  Could his health be an issue to taking on the HC reins?  I absolutely believe that if his health is dependent on less stress, he stays at Oregon.  If not, he will elect to set his own path some where else.  Ultimately, Mario needs to find some style he becomes better at as time goes along.  That has not happened and not for the last four plus years in my opinion.

That is NOT to say he is not a good to great recruiter.  He is and expects his coaches to be also.  But the football side of recruiting is not panning out as well as it should.  You have to do something with the near talent and elite talent that are jumping on board.  Progress to the next level and stability at the current level.

This is not the NFL factories as is Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia or LSU.  This is a step above Oklahoma, Texas, USC, Michigan, Penn State and FSU.  These team have recruited well and I bet over the last decade been in the top 25 maybe, the top 15.

Please do not look at where FSU is now.  It is sad and we had something to do with their current spiral because of the 2015 Rose Bowl playoff for the CFP.  I am not a Jimbo Fisher fan, to me he is Sumlin 2.0.  And I bring this up as Sumlin and Fisher are two posers whom in JF's case won a championship and Mario reminds me of him.  Everything is just falling into place, the Stars have aligned and the GOD's are speaking.  No I have not been drinking or taking drugs but sure feels like it when I watch Oregon play.  Jeckle and Hyde of the PAC 12.

But we need to put our players into positions where they can and will excel drawing NFL attention.  That NFL teams will pick through the talent we have because of Cristobal, his staff and how we elevate the talent.  Until then, Mario has things to get better at, then build his coaching tree.

On 11/7/2021 at 6:47 PM, EzDucksIt said:

Pac 12 feels like the Mosh Pit, Thunderdome, get in there and hope you come out with some teeth.  At the beginning of the year, I would have thought ASU, USC, UCLA as the strength of the South.  The North led by Oregon, Washington or Washington State.

The Covid year, did not allow for any real growth.  Really could not tell if coaches and systems clicked with the teams or players.  But honestly, I could not tell if Arroyo ever really left.  That, in my mind is a Cristobal problem.

I do not expect Moorhead to be here next year with all the openings already.  Could his health be an issue to taking on the HC reins?  I absolutely believe that if his health is dependent on less stress, he stays at Oregon.  If not, he will elect to set his own path some where else.  Ultimately, Mario needs to find some style he becomes better at as time goes along.  That has not happened and not for the last four plus years in my opinion.

That is NOT to say he is not a good to great recruiter.  He is and expects his coaches to be also.  But the football side of recruiting is not panning out as well as it should.  You have to do something with the near talent and elite talent that are jumping on board.  Progress to the next level and stability at the current level.

This is not the NFL factories as is Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia or LSU.  This is a step above Oklahoma, Texas, USC, Michigan, Penn State and FSU.  These team have recruited well and I bet over the last decade been in the top 25 maybe, the top 15.

Please do not look at where FSU is now.  It is sad and we had something to do with their current spiral because of the 2015 Rose Bowl playoff for the CFP.  I am not a Jimbo Fisher fan, to me he is Sumlin 2.0.  And I bring this up as Sumlin and Fisher are two posers whom in JF's case won a championship and Mario reminds me of him.  Everything is just falling into place, the Stars have aligned and the GOD's are speaking.  No I have not been drinking or taking drugs but sure feels like it when I watch Oregon play.  Jeckle and Hyde of the PAC 12.

But we need to put our players into positions where they can and will excel drawing NFL attention.  That NFL teams will pick through the talent we have because of Cristobal, his staff and how we elevate the talent.  Until then, Mario has things to get better at, then build his coaching tree.

Sorry, I disagree with your whole premise. 

Last year, more dB NFL picks from Ducks than in years. Herbert? Sewell? Names ring a bell?

The blue chip recruits on offense are just now seeing the field. Wait till Thompson or Butterfield come through next year.

As Cristobal builds top recruiting class on top of class, you will see even more NFL  success. 

We've had 3 top recruiting classes, you want to compare to schools who have had a dozen or more, just hold your horses, you will see the results!!

• Thanks 1

DanLduck,

Sir, you hurt my feelings.  I thought that last one through a lot of rewrites and deletes, No drinking was involved.  I swear.  Sorry but I had to google premise.  I could not really understand what you were trying to say what you disagreed with, wholey.  But thank you for the feedback.

As I too, love the Oregon Ducks.  I respect Cristobal but not the way he has empowered everyone and no one at the same time.  Kind of like the team.  Everyone has a say, everyone is a Coach, Assistant to the Coach, a Co-co coordinator, the Running backs coach/run Coordinator, The Pass the buck back Coordinator and we may even have a Sideline stop the Coach Coordinator, which is Feld, when they are on the field.  Again, not drink but probably should be.

This is probably my fourth rewrite, not because I was wanting to drink but meh....  I hope you are right but I just threw away two hours of research and googling info to back up my premises and I thought, WELL he didn't even come up with anything serious to rebut, I looked it up, my previous premise.  So we are at a impasse.  Which I clearly looked up before posting.  And I am getting tired, ready to drink, I think.  But DanLduck, I look forward to more refreshing dialogue with you, about our wonderful Ducks.  And I hope the next time I post, I will be so clear as to have you agreeing with me wholly.  As I would not want it any other way.  Thank you again.

How many years had Saban been a head coach before he got to Alabama and how long did it take for him to win the Natty. 

I disagree with most of the complaints people have with MC because u still have to give him time. Maybe he won't master the areas of concerns that people have. But in the history of CFB how many coaches have won titles compared with how many have coached. It's a rarity.

If U look at which team's were in the initial CPO the HC's are all in the Saban tree. I don't believe this is a coincidence.

Look at Georgia and K. Smart I believe this is his 8th season of top 5 recruiting classes. He's made the PO 1 time before this and never won it. I bet the Georgia fans were complaining also.

Now he looks like he has a team to win it all.

All I am saying that if MC is given time he may get us the Natty we all want so bad. I know I would play for the guy. I respect him that much and hope he stays and finishes what he has started.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 6:47 PM, EzDucksIt said:

It ain't easy. Clemson slipped badly this season + Clemson still has lots of studs on its roster. The QB position in CFB really matters. Easier to win if you have a Watson and a Lawrence at QB.

To date, Mario has not exactly been a quarterback whisperer. Herbert was not allowed to play to his potential and OR has a bunch of rating ranking stars in the QB room who cannot beat out a competitive but journeyman QB in Brown.

To win a PO these days you need a QB who will be playing at the next level.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m in on Cristobal, he needs time.

Things could be way worse. We could have a coach like smash-mouth (literally) Lake. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 1:05 PM, Duck 1972 said:

How many years had Saban been a head coach before he got to Alabama and how long did it take for him to win the Natty. 

I disagree with most of the complaints people have with MC because u still have to give him time. Maybe he won't master the areas of concerns that people have. But in the history of CFB how many coaches have won titles compared with how many have coached. It's a rarity.

If U look at which team's were in the initial CPO the HC's are all in the Saban tree. I don't believe this is a coincidence.

Look at Georgia and K. Smart I believe this is his 8th season of top 5 recruiting classes. He's made the PO 1 time before this and never won it. I bet the Georgia fans were complaining also. Now he looks like he has a team to win it all.

All I am saying that if MC is given time he may get us the Natty we all want so bad. I know I would play for the guy. I respect him that much and hope he stays and finishes what he has started.

Love MC.  His intensity, integrity, and love of the game ( and his players).

When I think of physicality though, Kirby Smart comes to mind first and foremost.  They only reason UGA doesn't reach the playoffs because ESPN knows better than HSN out two SEC teams in.  They ARE usually one of the four best CFB every year.

We are canyons apart from the product KS puts on the field.  With slightly less talent.  I'm completely frustrated at present.  But I want Cristobal to stay.  It's going to take him as long as it took Brooks (even with the talent).  Cristobal seems to be in love with close games because his teams just can't close the deal by the third quarter, even when they are I'm the driver's seat.

On 11/8/2021 at 4:05 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Look at Georgia and K. Smart I believe this is his 8th season of top 5 recruiting classes. He's made the PO 1 time before this and never won it. I bet the Georgia fans were complaining also.

Now he looks like he has a team to win it all.

Saban had 1 losing season at Bama, his first. And when he arrived at Bama he had already won a title at LSU. He won a title at Bama within his first 4 years as the Tide HC.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 11/8/2021 at 5:21 PM, Mike West said:

Love MC.  His intensity, integrity, and love of the game ( and his players).

When I think of physicality though, Kirby Smart comes to mind first and foremost.  They only reason UGA doesn't reach the playoffs because ESPN knows better than HSN out two SEC teams in.  They ARE usually one of the four best CFB every year.

We are canyons apart from the product KS puts on the field.  With slightly less talent.  I'm completely frustrated at present.  But I want Cristobal to stay.  It's going to take him as long as it took Brooks (even with the talent).  Cristobal seems to be in love with close games because his teams just can't close the deal by the third quarter, even when they are I'm the driver's seat.

Mike, good stuff. Bama rushed for 6 yards vs LSU. I do not think that Bama beats UGA this season.

On 11/8/2021 at 2:27 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Saban had 1 losing season at Bama, his first. And when he arrived at Bama he had already won a title at LSU. He won a title at Bama within his first 4 years as the Tide HC.

Right wouldn't u agree he's probably the GOAT and still it wasn't immediate even with all of his advantage

On 11/8/2021 at 5:31 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Right wouldn't u agree he's probably the GOAT and still it wasn't immediate even with all of his advantage

If you do not think Saban is the GOAT you best not be looking at the stats?

With a young and beat up OL, 6 yards rushing vs LSU, and a 1st year starter at QB this season, this is one of his best coaching efforts. Nick does not just win on signing days, he coaches the 4 and 5* guys up.

• Thumbs Up 1

i love the way MC talks. He never talks down to his audience the way MH and CK always did. he offers real info while also keeping it close to the vest. and he’s honest, unlike WT. when MC was still an assistant, he was always the first person i wanted to see interviewed. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Washington, you have an idiot for a coach.  There is a video, showing Lake, crashing through a group of players, coach and referees to smack that student in the face several times.  Not a good look for the coach, or the team.  I understand trying to breaking up a fight but you can not justify this behavior.  

Will Muschamp Blowing a Fuse 110821.png

Dear Mario Cristobal,

I love you for beating the Huskies again, and for your recruiting prowess.

Now, can you please academically game plan to beat the Cougs?  And keep recruiting?

Thank you!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 11/8/2021 at 3:25 PM, Jon Joseph said:

If you do not think Saban is the GOAT you best not be looking at the stats?

With a young and beat up OL, 6 yards rushing vs LSU, and a 1st year starter at QB this season, this is one of his best coaching efforts. Nick does not just win on signing days, he coaches the 4 and 5* guys up.

Saban isn't even the best coach ever at the college he is coaching at let alone the best ever.

1qjgpw.jpg

On 11/8/2021 at 5:54 PM, Haywarduck said:

Saban isn't even the best coach ever at the college he is coaching at let alone the best ever.

1qjgpw.jpg

Oh I disagree.  Bryant didn't play USC types often enough to give him that type of credit.  Not to mention Eddie Robinson did have enough talent to beat the Tide if he had the opportunity.

My reference:  AFL teams quickly forcing a merger with the NFL using historically black college talent. Robinson had the best talent and consistently defeated his peers with said talent.

Bear Bryant never faced the "other" very good talent.  When he first encountered it, he got smoked.  He left before providing a sample to match what Saban had done in a much shorter time (at that).

Different era for sure, but like MLB ( and Ruth never facing the likes of Black and Latino pitchers), that era's numbers are heavily skewed.

Head to head, I'd take Saban in a mili second.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I was actually just trying to be funny, which isn't easy. The whole GOAT thing, to me, is kind of like chasing ones tail. Nothing ever is going to be settled, but it does provide a workout, I suppose. One would have to ask a dawg.

• Haha 2

On 11/8/2021 at 9:36 PM, Mike West said:

Oh I disagree.  Bryant didn't play USC types often enough to give him that type of credit.  Not to mention Eddie Robinson did have enough talent to beat the Tide if he had the opportunity.

My reference:  AFL teams quickly forcing a merger with the NFL using historically black college talent. Robinson had the best talent and consistently defeated his peers with said talent.

Bear Bryant never faced the "other" very good talent.  When he first encountered it, he got smoked.  He left before providing a sample to match what Saban had done in a much shorter time (at that).

Different era for sure, but like MLB ( and Ruth never facing the likes of Black and Latino pitchers), that era's numbers are heavily skewed.

Head to head, I'd take Saban in a mili second.  

And Bryant had no cap on his roster size. Bryant did do 1 thing Saban never will do, he won an SEC title at Kentucky.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’ve often felt one of the great strengths of being a Duck grew out of the Rich Brooks development experience which painfully taught us the value to be found in patient determination. We know how to wait something out. We may have whined our way there, but we allowed the Brooks experiment to complete itself.

There are not many programs that can say that, and is the primary reason I feel MC senses the kind of confident connection he does to our program. For me, it’s just plain fun watching that guy grow and mature into the coach he wants to be because he knows we have his back.

On 11/8/2021 at 1:38 PM, DR Hilarius said:

i love the way MC talks. He never talks down to his audience the way MH and CK always did. he offers real info while also keeping it close to the vest. and he’s honest, unlike WT. when MC was still an assistant, he was always the first person i wanted to see interviewed. 

I couldn’t agree more.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 9:31 AM, Jon Joseph said:

And Bryant had no cap on his roster size. Bryant did do 1 thing Saban never will do, he won an SEC title at Kentucky.

Not saying Bryant wasn't great.  He was.  Just saying he took  longer to win his titles, and with a much smaller group of "great players" to coach against.  

Saban btw did win a Natty at LSU.  In arguably the most competitive division in college football.