FishDuck Article

Dye’s Ducks Now, Cardwell’s Ducks Next?

The pressure of Our Beloved Ducks becoming a legitimate contender closing out this season and in the near future will come down to how the incredible backfield depth Oregon possesses is utilized. The defense is playing inspired, and with the quarterback play in question (especially against the Huskies), the stable of talented running backs has never felt more like the ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

My answer to your first question is that your scenario of Cardwell and McGee; maybe Thompson and Williams doing more through the air sounds like a good plan for 2022, as for Dye being necessary for the Ducks the rest of this season...YES!

Cristobal said a while back that Dye is as crucial to Oregon's success as any player is to their team's success and wasn't overstating it at all. 4 TD's in a row against Colorado, 200+ yards in a storm against Washington. He doesn't have the speed, and he won't end up with the stats that other great Oregon RB's put up, but he's every bit as important.

• Thumbs Up 1

What is so difficult is we fans only see limited play from our back-ups and bench players. We then prognosticate about what is going on, what should go on, and why!

On the other hand we know Cristobal and the coaches see way more data. They see who comes to practice early, stays late, which one really shows flashes of brilliance more often than not. They then have to deal with all the emotions from the players as they struggle and grow. This is especially difficult with all these players who have been told, for their whole lives, they are the man.

I look at it, from my experience, like winemaking. I hear about the weather and the grapes from a year, and ponder about how an amazing pinot noir may develop. I then wait and wonder, while the vintner sees the grapes, squeezes all the juice, has the smells and sees the real potential for the grapes. He then has an impact on the wine by choosing the timing, caskets and so many other things I have no clue about.

Like our players we are then left with a star rating to understand the value of the wine. There are descriptors about the wine, but really all we can go by is the star rating, and that often puts a value on the wine. That is the same with the players, we are left with a star rating, and then we wait to savor the finished product.

With that said, I agree Cardwell is showing he is our next guy. His ability to see the hole develop, cut with excelleration, and use his stiff arm could become legendary. He is from another year of potentially amazing talent we don't have right now. We have had a sip of his potential and it is enticing. The same can be said with the qb room, these guys are going to be better than what we see on the field right now. It is like we have been invited to have a barrel tasting of the next great wine. We still don't know all we need to know, but, for many of us, we want to bottle them up and drink it all. 

This is where the difficult part comes into play. Do you appreciate the wine, the players you have now, or do you just jump into the players you are certain will be better. As anyone who knows their wine, you should wait, and let it grow in depth and really ability. Players are the same we need to enjoy the glimpses of the amazing future, but let it grow, and develop. 

What is so hard is seeing bits and pieces of that potential and then being left to wonder. Fortunately the team is behind Dye and he is carrying it. The team is also behind AB, and willing to make up for his obvious weaknesses. We have a brilliant team dynamic, when you think about it. The only difficult thing is pondering about the possibilities, of the next great vintage of Oregon Football Players, but we must wait.

5tt5gs.gif

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Thank you Alex. Byron should have a great future with us. I would like to see more Seven on the field and I look forward to seeing Trey Benson and Sean Dollars.

Also this is the day to thank all our Veterans, many whom have gone in harms way. Thank you all.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I really like the comparison of McGee to Marshall.  If it becomes reality--the Ducks will move the offense up another notch!

Byron Marshall Can Do It All For The Philadelphia Eagles

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Unfortunately, I'l never forget this.

Let's see if Mario can pull a player like MI ST RB Walker, out of the portal? Tapping the portal at the RB position certainly worked for Chip and is working for Whittingham at Utah. The Utes QB transfer from TX out of the portal is also working out quite well for the Utes.

Really good article but in this day and age of CFB free agency a team's roster in January might be materially different come spring? In 2021, MI ST brought in 40 guys from the portal and vastly improved from 2020. 7 of#13 Baylor's starters came out of the portal. Baylor won 2 games in 2020.

Cardwell is off to an amazing start to his Ducks career showing tremendous potential. He is shifty, strong, has vision, follows blocks, and has balance to match his acceleration.

I don't know yet that he will become the bell cow back, because Oregon's RB room is loaded. It is too soon to anoint Cardwell as the chosen one.

Sean Dollars before injury was highest on the depth chart. Trey Benson has been likened to Royce Freeman. Seven has been compared to DAT with the attributes of a mamba. Let this sink in for a minute.

I don't like the one back Pistol formation. I don't like Oregon's predisposition to inside runs. With the Ducks great, but under-used wide receivers, and the terrific young running backs, the offense needs to attack the entire field challenging the opposing defense more vigorously and keeping them off balance and guessing with tempo.

The current offense is strong, but predictable, stale, and methodically boring. That may be a result of the limitations of the QB, but cannot be a factor going forward as the team strives to win the national championship next year.

The Ducks need all of these young backs to have a role and get playing time, just as the ball needs to be spread to the many good receivers. The offense needs to ramp up and average 45 PPG, because it can. I'd like to see more 2-back sets, and more use of the slot back as a runner next year.

Edited by Notalot
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 11:30 AM, Haywarduck said:

What is so difficult is we fans only see limited play from our back-ups and bench players. We then prognosticate about what is going on, what should go on, and why!

On the other hand we know Cristobal and the coaches see way more data. They see who comes to practice early, stays late, which one really shows flashes of brilliance more often than not. They then have to deal with all the emotions from the players as they struggle and grow. This is especially difficult with all these players who have been told, for their whole lives, they are the man.

I look at it, from my experience, like winemaking. I hear about the weather and the grapes from a year, and ponder about how an amazing pinot noir may develop. I then wait and wonder, while the vintner sees the grapes, squeezes all the juice, has the smells and sees the real potential for the grapes. He then has an impact on the wine by choosing the timing, caskets and so many other things I have no clue about.

Like our players we are then left with a star rating to understand the value of the wine. There are descriptors about the wine, but really all we can go by is the star rating, and that often puts a value on the wine. That is the same with the players, we are left with a star rating, and then we wait to savor the finished product.

With that said, I agree Cardwell is showing he is our next guy. His ability to see the hole develop, cut with excelleration, and use his stiff arm could become legendary. He is from another year of potentially amazing talent we don't have right now. We have had a sip of his potential and it is enticing. The same can be said with the qb room, these guys are going to be better than what we see on the field right now. It is like we have been invited to have a barrel tasting of the next great wine. We still don't know all we need to know, but, for many of us, we want to bottle them up and drink it all. 

This is where the difficult part comes into play. Do you appreciate the wine, the players you have now, or do you just jump into the players you are certain will be better. As anyone who knows their wine, you should wait, and let it grow in depth and really ability. Players are the same we need to enjoy the glimpses of the amazing future, but let it grow, and develop. 

What is so hard is seeing bits and pieces of that potential and then being left to wonder. Fortunately the team is behind Dye and he is carrying it. The team is also behind AB, and willing to make up for his obvious weaknesses. We have a brilliant team dynamic, when you think about it. The only difficult thing is pondering about the possibilities, of the next great vintage of Oregon Football Players, but we must wait.

5tt5gs.gif

Nicely crafted analogy with salient facts and astute observations. The coaches as vinters angle you took is masterful. Thanks Haywarduck.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Alex, as part of the fun of being a fan is watching a newbie have a game where he realizes..."I can do this. I can play at this level."  After he gets that confidence--look out.  We saw that happen with Bradyn Swinson and Jeffrey Bassa on the defense and it is great to see!

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/12/2021 at 6:58 AM, Notalot said:

The offense needs to ramp up and average 45 PPG, because it can.

As you can imagine....if anyone is in full agreement with that statement--it would be me!  Great to see you Notalot, and nice to have another astute view from South Carolina.

Mr. FishDuck