FishDuck Article

Mario Cristobal is Reshaping the Pac-12

Mario Cristobal is gaining control over the Pac-12. It hasn’t always been pretty, but right now Oregon is the only Pac-12 team ranked and is currently the only Pac-12 team with enough wins to qualify for a bowl game. More Pac-12 teams will qualify for bowl games this year, but entering Week 11 with only one team bowl eligible is ...

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Forget everyone else. Let them be losers. 

MC is building something. Name one other school where the trajectory is even noticeably upwards in the p12? OSU? 

it’s a different feel now at Oregon. Still two more signing classes before it’s a 100% MC team. 

I like the way it’s going. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/12/2021 at 5:11 AM, Confused said:

I do too if rose bowls are your ceiling. Mario will never coach an undefeated team.  He is a recruiter.  And our conference is pathetic!  No one gives us an ounce  of respect.   We need a pac 12 championship game against a top 10 USC.    

Only Oregon would lose to Stanford.  That was on Mario.  And he will consistently lose 1 or 2 games no other top team or coach would.  

Perhaps but what your suggesting is that MC is only a recruiter and will be what he was, is, and that he has reached his ceiling as a 50 year old second time head coach who is still two recruiting classes away from having the team be all his making for a school that didn’t originally plant to hire him as HC. MC is growing along with the program. 

Stanford loss was ugly but I think your being a bit harsh in negating any growth or possibility of said in MC snd his staff and similarly ignoring that the Ducks are one of the youngest rosters in division one. 

Respect comes from beating the top teams in big games. People forget the season once the playoffs start. 

Clemson did just fine rolling a weak ACC each year. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I agree with Confused: In my mind the Ducks are still undefeated at 9-0 as far as I'm concerned. It's Mario who is at 8-1.

• Thumbs Up 1

The problem isn't just Mario stealing all the talent. Without another power in the Pac-12 Najee Harris left for Alabama, recently DJ left for Clemson and of course JTT decided to go to tosu. We also saw Alabama get the elite transfers as the Pac-12 isn't looked upon as competitive.

We need Mario to do his thing, but we need some life support with the other programs. The whole Pac-12 is at risk after what Larry did to the conference.

The conference is potentially going to become irrelevant, much like many of the teams already are. In the future Oregon can be, like Cincinnati, a program who is fighting to be relevant, or the whole conference and programs can wake up to the real battle going on, we are all losing.

Each program needs to step up and probably more importantly George Kliavkoff needs to provide strong leadership.

5txm4r.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

I do too if rose bowls are your ceiling. Mario will never coach an undefeated team.  He is a recruiter.  And our conference is pathetic!  No one gives us an ounce  of respect.   We need a pac 12 championship game against a top 10 USC.    

Only Oregon would lose to Stanford.  That was on Mario.  And he will consistently lose 1 or 2 games no other top team or coach would.  

No one gives us respect?   "No one" has us number 3.  How does that work?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/12/2021 at 7:03 AM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

Clemson did just fine rolling a weak ACC each year. 

They did, but following Confused's line of thought, Oregon needs to crush its Pac-12 brethren on a regular basis while bringing in top 4 Recruiting classes.  I feel like Mario is getting there, Alabama wasn't built in a day. Oregon, through Chip and now Mario is the dominant team in the conference, and I believe that Mario's plan when it comes to fruition will be more sustainable than was Chip's.

Kirby Smart said it, Lake whined about it, Saban knows that recruiting is the key to success long term and he has that down.  He's still working on, as Saban is still, on mastering the complicated course of coaching.  This season we'll probably see close to half of the Pac-12 coaches being fired because they couldn't get it done. Oregon doesn't want the rest of the conference to be better than they are, but pick it up a little bit.

• Thumbs Up 3

So far you are correct, winning the Rose Bowl is our ceiling. Not a bad ceiling after the cluster he inherited. 

I have a hard time predicting the Ducks losing, or a coach, player having a ceiling, just isn't in my DNA. I respectfully disagree, and enjoy, happily looking forward to being right! 

I kind of think Mario is like Rocky Balboa, just a working class guy who ends up winning it all. Nobody really respect the guy, has a lot of critics, but he just keeps going to work.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/12/2021 at 8:00 AM, Haywarduck said:

I kind of think Mario is like Rocky Balboa,

image.png.08c4d6b0e87fa519e6f4ec6d8379a009.png

On 11/12/2021 at 8:20 AM, 30Duck said:

image.png.08c4d6b0e87fa519e6f4ec6d8379a009.png

Rocky is a compelling story, one you want to think is possible in this country. An immigrant's son getting a chance and against all odds becomes somebody.

Like Rocky, Cristobal is just trying to go the distance, but he also thinks he can win it all. There are many doubters, rightly so, but he is a fighter, actually trained in MMA, and will go the distance, whatever that is.

The inglorious O-lineman who, like Rocky, many don't think has the smarts to win it all, will prove them all wrong, just wait. I can't wait, actually I can, and am enjoying every minute.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

As much as Mario is a fighter and an awesome recruiter, he is still a coach that has a lot to learn.  He smart, though stubborn, but he's headed in the right direction.  He has our program consistently at the top of our league.  In spite of all the past grumbling and complaining, I just don't see that Oregon can do any better.  What coach could Oregon likely get that will improve Oregon more than he has/is.?  I for one am willing to give him time to learn to be a better game coach, am glad he's here, and hope he stays a long time to build a potential dynasty.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Correction to the article, Utah and ASU both have 6 wins as of 11/12/21 and are bowl eligible.  That is the fewest out of any P5 conference.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 7:14 AM, Haywarduck said:

Without another power in the Pac-12 Najee Harris left for Alabama, recently DJ left for Clemson and of course JTT decided to go to tosu. We also saw Alabama get the elite transfers as the Pac-12 isn't looked upon as competitive.

I'm not so sure about that just yet. Both left for programs that are College Football Playoff programs. Oregon hasn't returned to the playoff yet. Which makes this year so important. If Oregon gets into the playoff then that will be a huge recruiting boom. Looking competitive or winning a semi-final game would be even better... so Oregon MUST avoid Georgia at this time.

Top recruits want to go to the playoff... and right now no one in the Pac-12 is offering that.. until Cristobal breaks through.

On 11/12/2021 at 9:17 AM, Tandaian said:

Correction to the article, Utah and ASU both have 6 wins as of 11/12/21 and are bowl eligible.  That is the fewest out of any P5 conference.

I have updated the article to reflect that. That was a mistake in my personal editing of the article.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am still basking in the glow of beating the Huskies, and Mario is 3-0 against them and is swatting away the challenges.

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/12/2021 at 9:35 AM, David Marsh said:

I'm not so sure about that just yet. Both left for programs that are College Football Playoff programs. Oregon hasn't returned to the playoff yet. Which makes this year so important. If Oregon gets into the playoff then that will be a huge recruiting boom. Looking competitive or winning a semi-final game would be even better... so Oregon MUST avoid Georgia at this time.

Top recruits want to go to the playoff... and right now no one in the Pac-12 is offering that.. until Cristobal breaks through.

Agree, but they also want exposure, and the Pac-12, what time does our game start, doesn't get the exposure, yet. George needs to get a more favorable tv contract and make sure our programs are seen.

These top recruits want to win and be seen. Oregon has shown they will highlight players, but the conference needs to do it's part too!

On 11/12/2021 at 9:41 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I am still basking in the glow of beating the Huskies, and Mario is 3-0 against them and is swatting away the challenges.

giphy.gif

My hope is this is a video of what the cougs will do to the dawgs. For now we need to realize how cute, but pesky and annoying cats can be.

I'd also like to make note of some of the other coaches in the conference. Namely Whittingham and Herm.

Kyle Whittingham is on his 28th year at utah. has coached 2 of his best utah teams in back to back years(excluding covid year). The man is 61 and has made it abundantly clear that he never intends to coach till he is dead. He has had 2 players in the last 12 months die from gun violence and if you have watched any of his press conferences he is exhausted. Literally the only thing I truly think is still keeping him coaching is the fact that his succession plan died the moment media caught wind of Scalley's racist remarks. I don't know how long Whitt will coach but as of today I wouldn't put him to last more than 2 seasons.

Herm is gone after this season. I think he will resign and retire to save face but he is gone. I'd also argue that Cristobal is the reason why. Herm and ASU's cheating was a direct response to Cristobal. nearly every elite player that these two schools have gone after in the coaches timeline went to oregon. ASU was cheating the system to get an advantage on oregon.

Also to note CAL, COL, STAN and WSU.

CAL: Wilcox has personally proven to be a bland Coach, I don't think he will ever break an 8 win average and I don't think he will ever break 10 wins. with that said he deserves better than Berkley.

COL: dorrell is no surprise a bad football coach, While he isn't on the chopping block today he has at best 2022 and 2023 before being relieved of his duties

WSU: no head coach currently. I do think dickert has a chance of removing interim if he can beat either UW or UO. and win his bowl game. I'm a bit skeptical on what WSU will do when the two leach WR's leave though.

STAN: Shaw probably has at least one full year left at his current rate of performance. What baffles me the most is how bad his coaching hires have been over the last 5 years have been.

This conference is about to go through likely the worst talent drought at head coach in the next 5 years. It's possible that some of these teams will make decent hires but frankly, I'd love to see wilcox up at UW. I don't think USC will hire a good head coach. And stanford historically is more of a punching bag than the puncher. Utah is interesting the right hire, could push them up but at a school like utah the right hire is 1 in a 1000. If Cristobal is around the next 3-5 years he should be rolling come 2025. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Great article and comments.

Mario is re-shaping Oregon. But the conference? Urban Meyer changed recruiting in the B1G from being a gentlemen's club to being all out war. This lifted not only Ohio State but the entire conference. This has not been the case in the Pac-12 with conference teams not following Mario's excellent recruiting. 

Today with Utah at 24 the Pac-12 does have 2 teams ranked. Compared to not so long ago, this is pathetic. And Oregon is again on the thinnest of Playoff ice. The B1G has 3 teams ranked in the top 10 and 6 in the top 25. The B1G unlike the SEC, values academics. How did the Pac-12 fall so far behind the B1G in revenue and on-field play? Bad leadership out west compared to great leadership back east is one of the reasons. Terrible media deals out west compared to the B1G network and broadcast deals.

Mario's recruiting has changed the league; but only in the Ducks favor. Today, Mario is the only Pac-12 HC bringing in quality recruits. But Mario's recruiting efforts to date has not equaled the expected on field results. In 2019 the Ducks should have been in the PO instead of matching up with a 3L team in the Rose Bowl. Sorry but when the RB is not a PO semifinal site it is an exhibition game. The best exhibition game but an exhibition game none-the-less. There really is no comparison to what Mario to date has done in a weak conference compared to what Dabo has accomplished at Clemson. It did take Dabo 4+ seasons to get the Tigers cranked up. Is Mario on a Clemson-like threshold? Maybe? But you can't lose to Stanford if you want to be great. And you need QB play like Clemson got from Watson and then Lawrence.

So many spot on comments about the lack of quality play in the Pac-12. If you cannot recruit at the top level you will not play at the top level. The conference's OOC record in 2021 was absolutely putrid. Thus, the conference is viewed as slightly better, if that, than a G5 conference. I see no Urban-like B1G recruiting bump in this conference, I see teams allowing the best talent to head east. I see a functionally insolvent network hurting recruiting. I see football budgets insufficient to compete at the highest P5 level. I sense that many of the 'leaders' of conference schools could care less about football and sports in general. I see apathy among many the Pac-12 fan base. I see a conference sending fewer and fewer guys onto the NFL. I see a conference seemingly incapable of being in the mix for the CFB championship. I see a conference that had the chance to grow its market size and, no surprise, did nothing. In the long run 1 extra P5 OOC game a year will not be all that lucrative. Moving into the central time zone and into football mad Texas?

Correct, Alabama was not built overnight. It took 1 season for Saban to start turning Bama around. After the first season Bama went 100 games without losing to an unranked opponent before losing this season at A+M, now ranked at 11, in College Station. This is far different than how the team has frequently performed under Mario. We frequently see Oregon play down to lesser competition, like Stanford.

Oregon today is a big Duck in a small pond that continues to evaporate. Until Mario takes Oregon to Final 4's on a regular basis, he will not improve the conference; the Ducks modest success to date has done nothing to raise all conference boats. 

I am happy Mario is here, no doubt. He has improved and I trust will continue to improve Oregon football. But to get over the hump? Oregon needs some help from 'its friends.' Clemson does play in a bad football conference, but the ACC Network is owned by ESPN, 80,000 plus fans watch Clemson play in Death Valley, and Clemson does not kick off at 10:30 PM.

Sorry for going somewhat OT. But it will take a Herculean effort to lift the conference from the doldrums and to date, I haven't seen much different from GK than we saw from Larry?

In the long run, if the Pac-12 does not improve and if Oregon cannot raise Mario's salary to the $7M - $10M range, Mario will not be coaching in Eugene.

FOR NOW? Beat Wazzu! Mario's true bona fides will come when he gets to and wins his first PO game.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 11/12/2021 at 5:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

Mario Cristobal is gaining control over the Pac-12. It hasn’t always been pretty, but right now Oregon is the only Pac-12 team ranked and is currently the only Pac-12 team with enough wins to qualify for a bowl game. More Pac-12 teams will qualify for bowl games this year, but entering Week 11 with only one team bowl eligible is ...

Read the full article here...

Utah is ranked.

On 11/12/2021 at 11:00 AM, Haywarduck said:

So far you are correct, winning the Rose Bowl is our ceiling. Not a bad ceiling after the cluster he inherited. 

I have a hard time predicting the Ducks losing, or a coach, player having a ceiling, just isn't in my DNA. I respectfully disagree, and enjoy, happily looking forward to being right! 

I kind of think Mario is like Rocky Balboa, just a working class guy who ends up winning it all. Nobody really respect the guy, has a lot of critics, but he just keeps going to work.

In the years the RB is not a PO site, it is not a ceiling to play there, it is reaching the top of the basement stairs. 

On 11/12/2021 at 12:35 PM, David Marsh said:

They also left to places that routinely send large #s of guys to the NFL.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2021 at 10:11 AM, UtahDuck said:

STAN: Shaw probably has at least one full year left at his current rate of performance. What baffles me the most is how bad his coaching hires have been over the last 5 years have been.

Gosh Utah....I just love your takes on topics.  Your observation above about Shaw points out ANOTHER area of Cristobal that none of us give enough credit to, and that is while Cristobal isn't 100% at hiring coaches--he is pretty darn good at selecting and recruiting them.  Count our blessings!

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/12/2021 at 1:11 PM, UtahDuck said:

I'd also like to make note of some of the other coaches in the conference. Namely Whittingham and Herm.

Kyle Whittingham is on his 28th year at utah. has coached 2 of his best utah teams in back to back years(excluding covid year). The man is 61 and has made it abundantly clear that he never intends to coach till he is dead. He has had 2 players in the last 12 months die from gun violence and if you have watched any of his press conferences he is exhausted. Literally the only thing I truly think is still keeping him coaching is the fact that his succession plan died the moment media caught wind of Scalley's racist remarks. I don't know how long Whitt will coach but as of today I wouldn't put him to last more than 2 seasons.

Herm is gone after this season. I think he will resign and retire to save face but he is gone. I'd also argue that Cristobal is the reason why. Herm and ASU's cheating was a direct response to Cristobal. nearly every elite player that these two schools have gone after in the coaches timeline went to oregon. ASU was cheating the system to get an advantage on oregon.

Also to note CAL, COL, STAN and WSU.

CAL: Wilcox has personally proven to be a bland Coach, I don't think he will ever break an 8 win average and I don't think he will ever break 10 wins. with that said he deserves better than Berkley.

COL: dorrell is no surprise a bad football coach, While he isn't on the chopping block today he has at best 2022 and 2023 before being relieved of his duties

WSU: no head coach currently. I do think dickert has a chance of removing interim if he can beat either UW or UO. and win his bowl game. I'm a bit skeptical on what WSU will do when the two leach WR's leave though.

This conference is about to go through likely the worst talent drought at head coach in the next 5 years. It's possible that some of these teams will make decent hires but frankly, I'd love to see wilcox up at UW. I don't think USC will hire a good head coach. And stanford historically is more of a punching bag than the puncher. Utah is interesting the right hire, could push them up but at a school like utah the right hire is 1 in a 1000. If Cristobal is around the next 3-5 years he should be rolling come 2025. 

WSU? Jay Norvell from Nevada?

When was the last time a conference team hired a currently employed successful P5 or NFL coach? Most conference teams do not have the $ to be able to hire a quality coach and many the administration simply do not care.

This conference as currently structured and managed is toast. I hope that Oregon will not pledge its future media rights to the conference before Schill et al can see what kind of new media deal GK can put together. 

Oregon, UW, USC and ASU might well be better off joining the newly reconstituted B12? The 'new' B12 has teams ranked at 5, 10, 13 and 14. Houston is a 1L team. Iowa State is very competitive. TCU, Texas Tech, K ST and W VA are all better than the bottom half of the teams in the Pac-12. The new B12 with these additions would be a 16 team conference stretching from coast to coast. A West Division of these 4 Pac-12 teams plus BYU, OK ST, KS and K ST would afford reasonable travel for non-revenue sports. With this structure, particularly with 4 teams in Texas, I can see FOX bringing a B12 network to the table and owning and operating the network in the same excellent manner in which it owns and operates the B1G network.

I see no upward mobility for the Pac-12 as currently managed and as currently structured.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 11/12/2021 at 12:23 PM, Jon Joseph said:

WSU? Jay Norvell from Nevada?

When was the last time a conference team hired a currently employed successful P5 or NFL coach? Most conference teams do not have the $ to be able to hire a quality coach and many the administration simply do not care.

I see no upward mobility for the Pac-12 as currently managed and as currently structured.

personally not sold on Norvell. The MWC is good not great and I think they have slumped a bit recently as BSU hasn't been a powerhouse since 2016(don't get me wrong they've still been really really good). I'm just not sold on norvell. 

I mean outside of the SEC how often do teams hire away other P5 head coaches? 

The only ACC coach I can think of is Mendenhall who coached at BYU. That is a debatable if byu was a p5 caliber team.

The big 12 has no head coaches that were hired away.

big 10 has Tucker at MSU and Franklin at PSU

SEC has Dan Mullen at Florida, Mike Leach- Miss state,  and jimbo fisher T A&M.

Of the coaches that have been "stolen" you have two taken from the pac12, two from the SEC and one from the ACC. These are all the head coaches that were the head coach at a power 5 school at their previous stop(and weren't fired from it). I mean I don't know the historics of every head coach in the pac 12 but the fact that good coaches were target from both WSU and COL really doesn't surprise me. overall COL has been one of the worst teams in the conference year in and out and while WSU has the worst finances of any school in the conference. I just don't think this a great narrative. Even though as an oregon fan we keep thinking about the taggart situation and him leaving for FSU, we need to recognize that that was his dream job and not the statistical likelyhood.

On 11/12/2021 at 3:02 PM, UtahDuck said:

personally not sold on Norvell. The MWC is good not great and I think they have slumped a bit recently as BSU hasn't been a powerhouse since 2016(don't get me wrong they've still been really really good). I'm just not sold on norvell. 

I mean outside of the SEC how often do teams hire away other P5 head coaches? 

The only ACC coach I can think of is Mendenhall who coached at BYU. That is a debatable if byu was a p5 caliber team.

The big 12 has no head coaches that were hired away.

big 10 has Tucker at MSU and Franklin at PSU

SEC has Dan Mullen at Florida, Mike Leach- Miss state,  and jimbo fisher T A&M.

Of the coaches that have been "stolen" you have two taken from the pac12, two from the SEC and one from the ACC. These are all the head coaches that were the head coach at a power 5 school at their previous stop(and weren't fired from it). I mean I don't know the historics of every head coach in the pac 12 but the fact that good coaches were target from both WSU and COL really doesn't surprise me. overall COL has been one of the worst teams in the conference year in and out and while WSU has the worst finances of any school in the conference. I just don't think this a great narrative. Even though as an oregon fan we keep thinking about the taggart situation and him leaving for FSU, we need to recognize that that was his dream job and not the statistical likelyhood.

Good stuff, thanks. I'm not in favor of Norvell, he just seems to be coming up on a # of sites as the new guy at WSU?

With the coach openings today across the country and more likely coming, I think we are going to see some big name HC musical chairs? Jimbo or Mel Tucker to LSU will set a lot of wheels in motion.

Franklin moving on could also have a big impact? I do not see LSU hiring a G5 coach. SC? If SC goes G5 it will likely be the hire of Fickell who is of course headed for B12, P5 status. And really, is SC today that great of a job? 

Leach being picked off by the SEC and Tucker by the B1G is just a sign of things to come. This year a successful USC T+F coach and the AZ baseball coach have been picked off by the SEC. Oregon witnessed a softball coach head to Texas. The Pac-12 does not have the money and/or the desire to pay the going freight for big time CFB coaches. But that doesn't excuse the hiring of a guy like Fisch at AZ and Dorrell at CU. Bryan Harsin was right next door before being plucked by Auburn.

Mario is a bargain and if he can make it to the PO this season he will deserve another raise. Soon, a B1G or SEC team will be tossing big bucks at Mario. Probably not Miami, not enough $ in Coral Gables. But when not if, Mullen is let go at Florida, watch out. Florida can and will write a big check. Mario is a guy raised in Florida who  coached for The Guru in the SEC. Stay at Oregon or compete in the biggest arena? Stay and recruit to Eugene or to Florida, a school located in a recruiting hotbed. Mario would make Mullen's recruiting look like a joke. Mario would make $7M per year, at least, at UF. I don't think Oregon would be willing to come close, if it could, to $7M?

You are spot on. P5 to P5 is rare. Even if a Pac-12 team wanted to hire a successful P5 coach, how many member schools could afford to do so?

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe the population density is the biggest problem with the Pac.

We just don't have the numbers of talent available like the other leagues.

Then add in the time frame disadvantage.

And kids wanting to play where their friends and family can see them play.

And then the pirating of our best players back East.

Just 2 many obstacles.

On 11/12/2021 at 2:04 PM, Jon Joseph said:

With the coach openings today across the country and more likely coming, I think we are going to see some big name HC musical chairs? Jimbo or Mel Tucker to LSU will set a lot of wheels in motion.

Franklin moving on could also have a big impact? I do not see LSU hiring a G5 coach. SC? If SC goes G5 it will likely be the hire of Fickell who is of course headed for B12, P5 status. And really, is SC today that great of a job? 

Leach being picked off by the SEC and Tucker by the B1G is just a sign of things to come. This year a successful USC T+F coach and the AZ baseball coach have been picked off by the SEC. Oregon witnessed a softball coach head to Texas. The Pac-12 does not have the money and/or the desire to pay the going freight for big time CFB coaches. But that doesn't excuse the hiring of a guy like Fisch at AZ and Dorrell at CU. Bryan Harsin was right next door before being plucked by Auburn.

Mario is a bargain and if he can make it to the PO this season he will deserve another raise. Soon, a B1G or SEC team will be tossing big bucks at Mario. Probably not Miami, not enough $ in Coral Gables. But when not if, Mullen is let go at Florida, watch out. Florida can and will write a big check. Mario is a guy raised in Florida who  coached for The Guru in the SEC. Stay at Oregon or compete in the biggest arena? Stay and recruit to Eugene or to Florida, a school located in a recruiting hotbed. Mario would make Mullen's recruiting look like a joke. Mario would make $7M per year, at least, at UF. I don't think Oregon would be willing to come close, if it could, to $7M?

You are spot on. P5 to P5 is rare. Even if a Pac-12 team wanted to hire a successful P5 coach, how many member schools could afford to do so?

I do agree the coaching carousel this of season is going to be dramatic. I expect some teams(LSU) to throw some unseenly amounts of money around. Their are going to be some teams that will cry foul and will be very upset.

Currently I do think Franklin moves to USC(Which is by far the worst blue blood out their). I don't know what to make of LSU at this point I think it's Tuckers but if he decides the B12 is easier and he gets a good raise it could throw a wrinkle in the carousel.

I think The leach hire was always expected. He is a nut but he has performed consistently everywhere and even WSU knew it would happen they never had they money to compete. As for Mario, I think it is possible one of the powerhouses comes calling, I just hope cristobal can build his empire to the point that he can point to his machine and say why would i give this up for your mess. Unless he makes the playoffs I don't see florida trying to pull him this year.(could be wrong).

AS for P12 teams, I'd say the entire conference could afford one, the question is would Fickell et al give up their current situation for the mess of COL or AZ? no, no they would not

On 11/12/2021 at 5:31 PM, UtahDuck said:

I do agree the coaching carousel this of season is going to be dramatic. I expect some teams(LSU) to throw some unseenly amounts of money around. Their are going to be some teams that will cry foul and will be very upset.

Currently I do think Franklin moves to USC(Which is by far the worst blue blood out their). I don't know what to make of LSU at this point I think it's Tuckers but if he decides the B12 is easier and he gets a good raise it could throw a wrinkle in the carousel.

I think The leach hire was always expected. He is a nut but he has performed consistently everywhere and even WSU knew it would happen they never had they money to compete. As for Mario, I think it is possible one of the powerhouses comes calling, I just hope cristobal can build his empire to the point that he can point to his machine and say why would i give this up for your mess. Unless he makes the playoffs I don't see florida trying to pull him this year.(could be wrong).

AS for P12 teams, I'd say the entire conference could afford one, the question is would Fickell et al give up their current situation for the mess of COL or AZ? no, no they would not

So respect your judgement.

IMO, Franklin now moves up on the SC board. A win against Michigan tomorrow will help his cause. But if this happens the $ SC will have to pay to get Franklin will significantly alter the current Pac-12 pay structure. One that has Shaw overpaid and Mario underpaid.

And if SC steps up like this will SC be satisfied with an equal pay cut with the other Pac-12 teams?

How does a beat down UF team finish? That a was a program low losing at South Carolina. And if UF loses to FSU? I'm not sure changing assistant coaches will save Mullens's job? I am sure that uber-recruiter Mario is on the UF ADs radar screen. And UF will be bringing bread that I an not sure Oregon can bake? 

On 11/12/2021 at 8:02 AM, Confused said:

It’s a bit premature to compare us to Clemson 

Then isn’t it equally premature to suggest MC will never win a title? That he’s only a recruiter and will never be more? 

All I did was compare clemsons weak conference to the PAC 12. Never did I suggest we are Clemson during their undefeated run. But we could be. 

Your prediction doesn’t even allow for the possibility. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Great topic and many great thoughts, opinions and comments. A lot to consider and digest, for sure.

I am not as concerned about how MC has/is reshaping the P12. My concern is how other schools, with deep pockets, view how MC reshaped the direction of the Ducks? More importantly,  if they feel he can reshape their. culture and direction? I don't think they see a lack of coaching.

When MC puts his finishing stamp on this season, consider what other schools would like 3 conference championships in a row. Three New Years Six bowls. Etc, etc, etc..... 

They see his success. They see a great recruiter with great coaching results. Whether any of us see that doesn't matter. It's what they see.

They see a Head Coach installing a game plan that beat tOSU in the shoe. The shoe......

As mentioned prior, it's gonna take 7 mil plus to keep MC. Others will offer more, maybe much more. Hope MC stays.......

IMHO, and not to upset anyone, I see the recruiter building a coaching staff and in turn improving his coaching decisions. Coaching these talented youngsters thru massive injuries to their team mates and WINNING.

8-1 is coaching scoreboard......

Go Ducks. Beat the Cougs. 1-0

It will take great coaching and team effort to beat the Cougars. I believe.

9-1 is even better coaching scoreboard.

On 11/12/2021 at 5:40 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

They see a Head Coach installing a game plan that beat tOSU in the shoe. The shoe......

You nailed it with that sentence, and all the other's too. The eye of the beholder is true; and the eyes of a lot of beholders at other schools are definitely liking what they see him doing at Oregon

On 11/12/2021 at 8:54 PM, Confused said:

USC is foolish if they don’t poach Mario.  He’s worth the money as a recruiter. Or get Finckle who can both recruit and coach.  If either happens USC will come back which I believe the conference needs!   I am a Pac 12 fan first, a Duck fan second. 

Your 1st choice, Pac-12 fan, you expect continued CFB mediocrity.

The 2nd choice. Puddles can be a Big Duck playing in a small pond. But you have to swallow the minnows in the pond and a big fish in a bigger OOC lake?

We will see this season if catching a before fully grown big fish in its pond and being swallowed by a guppy in our own pond, can = a shot at 3 other very big fish?

I think Mario knows that if he keeps his line in the water and is patient that there are bigger fish to fry outside of the conference and outside of LA. 

I see an in-land opportunity being the enticement for Mario going east and there dropping his line?  Chomping like a Gator on land over a seaside gig at Miami?

If you can recruit the Pac-12 as has Mario, recruiting at Florida is shooting fish in an ocean sized barrel of recruits.

Fickell by G5 standards can recruit. Can he take this to the P5? Does he, his spouse and kids want the LA Life over the Midwest life?

I think Bill O'Brien and Matt Ruhle as more likely candidates for the LA job?

Confused

Yes Oregon is a brand for sure. Easier to recruit too along with USC and the school of prowess. It doesn't get any better than recruiting to Alabama. And MC took full advantage of what was at hand.

IMHO, MC would do well recruiting to Arizona and Oregon State. Maybe not very well in the beginning but he would expand their foot print. I base this premise based upon the fact that  MC, while at FIU, recruited their first ever ESPN300 player. Even after a one win season. Took the youngster right out of FSU, Florida and Miami's back yard. 

If MC were to take another job after this season it won't be jumping ship. More like leading a caravan of armored money trucks out of Eugene.

I think MC wants that Georgia game. He wants it bad. Programs that van be tOsu and Georgia are big tome.

On 11/12/2021 at 5:50 PM, Confused said:

I just figured if we ever got blue chip talent , like we now have, it would be a walk into the playoffs!

Your not wrong but I think just letting the reality of how progress happens  dampen your sense about reaching the destination

I think it will get a lot easier. I see the program as setting up for an ever more dominant run. Two more recruiting classes to complete the MC team. 

when it’s top talent and physical specimens at every position and still no playoffs and continued annual losses against bad teams then I’ll grumble with you. 
Im still VERY optimistic. This year is a huge challenge still. it’s gonna take a story book run.

If we’re having this conversation two years from now 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤮