Haywarduck

Is It The U of O, Or Something Else?

From Rich Brooks, who we turned from a beaver to a winner,  to Mario Cristobal, who was a failed coach, Oregon has taken coaches who weren't great and made them winners. Is it the University of Oregon, and its' facilities, history, along with some magic, or are we just lucky.

Many want to question Cristobal, and really the direction of the program. I would ask does the head coach matter, as much, at the University of Oregon?

Chip Kelly won big, and thought he was a wizard, but has been repeatedly shown his magic at Oregon isn't easily repeated.

Willie came, had success, but has been destroyed since. 

The one anomaly has been Helfrich, but he just wasn't a leader of men. If we hire somebody who knows how to lead, does it matter as much, who it is at Oregon? Is Oregon a coach creating machine? Maybe many are right, Cristobal isn't that good, it is just what Oregon does?

Historically we have been, from Mckay, to Robinson, and many don't know the connection, but even John Madden has an Oregon connection, the place to find a great coach, or become a great coach. 

What is it, and are we pretty secure even without Cristobal? It might seem crazy, but how can Oregon keep winning, while sc and many other programs flounder?

I want to qualify, I in no way want Cristobal gone. I think one magic element is how we support a coach, and up to recently, have understood the process of building a winning program.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

On 11/12/2021 at 11:13 AM, Haywarduck said:

......even John Madden has an Oregon connection.......

Thanks HD, I didn't know that!

he was given a football scholarship to the University of Oregon

On 11/12/2021 at 11:23 AM, ICamel said:

Thanks HD, I didn't know that!

he was given a football scholarship to the University of Oregon

And that was all the Oregon magic it took, right? It is interesting he gives his time at Oregon no credit for the success he had as a coach, great and ungrateful I suppose.

I've often thought that successful coaching is, to a large extent, determined by how the coach fits into and is able to utilize, the components of specific environments. Peterson was dynamite at Boise State, but not so much at Washington. Kelly was legendary at the University of Oregon, but hasn't been able to conjure that success anywhere else. And the list goes on and on and on.

Mario Cristobal is unique in that his selection was, to a large extent, determined by the extraordinary events of Taggart suddenly leaving, and Cristobal's popularity with the players that had them almost demanding he be hired. It was a classic case of Cristobal being in the right place at the right time, and it's worked out quite well.

The facilities at the University of Oregon are nothing short of AMAZING. Cristobal knows what he has at the University of Oregon, which in no small part owes a TON to the patronage of Phil Knight, and he has used what he has to attract quality recruits here at an unparalleled rate.

Cristobal might have a lot to still learn about game and clock management, but he has mastered the lessons he learned from Saban regarding how critically important the role of recruiting plays in the building and maintaining of a successful program.

Love him, or not, Cristobal is a solid fit with Duck fans, the Duck community, and University of Oregon football. Mullins stumbled into a true gem of a coach. He is a hard worker, he has established a wonderful relationship with his players and their families, and he is passionate about being successful. Truly, what more could we Duck fans ask for from the coach of a football program we all Love? 

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/12/2021 at 11:13 AM, Haywarduck said:

I would ask does the head coach matter, as much, at the University of Oregon?

To me, the difference is entirely the choices of the Athletic Director, as he has made the choices that have worked out for us.

I always use the example of the late 70s when Oregon State had three final candidates for a new football coach and it was down to Craig Fertig, Terry Donohue and Rich Brooks.  What if they had selected Brooks, and then Brooks brought Bellotti to Corvallis, who then brought Chip to the Beavers?  All our history could be theirs due to a decision of the Athletic Director?

But I do agree with you in that there is luck, as our AD had lucked out at times too.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/12/2021 at 12:56 PM, Charles Fischer said:

To me, the difference is entirely the choices of the Athletic Director, as he has made the choices that have worked out for us.

I always use the example of the late 70s when Oregon State had three final candidates for a new football coach and it was down to Craig Fertig, Terry Donohue and Rich Brooks.  What is they had selected Brooks, and then Brooks brought Bellotti to Corvallis, who then brought Chip to the Beavers?  All our history could be theirs due to a decision of the Athletic Director?

But I do agree with you in that there is luck, as our AD had lucked out at times too.

I would answer osu would have fired him minimum before his 7th season, probably sooner. They never would have even seen Bellotti as an OC, let alone allowed him to become head coach. 

They then would have brought in Avezzano, and the rest would be pretty much the same. I will give OSU kudos for figuring it out a bit better recently.

Most programs have no idea of how to support and foster a head coach. They can pick a head coach, pat themselves on the back for the choice, and then start undercutting him soon after. 

That looks like, you can pick just about any program. Our magic back then was we stuck with a loser, who created one of the greatest winning machines around, and will always be a winner to me!

Great coaches are few and far between. having a good club depends on a lot of factors ie. recruitment (top QB and depth)  facilities, coaches, administrators, fan base, location, injuries, age of players, scheduling, league and pure ass luck (2010 natty).

There are things that could also be added to the list but I can't think of more.

It's just damm tough in CFB. I'm so thankful for the teams, players and coaches we have had over my life. 

GO DUCKS forever.

On 11/12/2021 at 1:17 PM, Haywarduck said:

I would answer osu would have fired him minimum before his 7th season

They probably would have, OSU goes through coaches, take Dennis Erickson. His first season, 1999, the Beavs went 7-5, next season, 11-1, and the Beavers were big, but 5-6, then 8-5, Erickson was off to the NFL and the 49ers, and Riley came back.

Don't forget Bellotti who some say was the best.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2021 at 12:56 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I always use the example of the late 70s when Oregon State had three final candidates for a new football coach and it was down to Craig Fertig, Terry Donohue and Rich Brooks.  What if they had selected Brooks, and then Brooks brought Bellotti to Corvallis, who then brought Chip to the Beavers?  All our history could be theirs due to a decision of the Athletic Director?

Alternate history and universe!  Has the makings of a great show.   Where would Phil and Penny fit in?

One doesn't really come without the other.  If Uncle Phil doesn't spend hundreds of millions for Oregon, we are not what we are today.  There are very few little engines that could that over achieve without money for long periods of time.  Other than Oregon, Washington, USC and maybe UCLA and ASU, no other Pac 12 school will ever reach elite for more than a few seasons.  They don't spend enough money.  Stanford had their 5 year run around Andrew Luck and have since become meh. 

No Pac 12 school, other than Stanford and Oregon have put together 3 consecutive seasons of 10+ wins or more since 2010.  Look at the teams that can be considered elite/top 15 teams for a decade or more.  You will be hard pressed to find a team that doesn't spend a ton of money.  Money doesn't buy you everything because you also need a coach, but one without the other works only for a few years.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/12/2021 at 2:26 PM, Confused said:

I hear what you continually say.  But Mario has been in football his entire life.  He’s been under great coaches.  He has been a head coach now for over a decade.   Just how long do you think, someone being paid millions of dollars, needs in order to successfully navigate the final 2 minutes?    Amongst many other things.  

WSU has absolutely none of Oregons advantages and yet if they win tomorrow they are firmly in the drivers seat of the North.   I’m sure they haven’t had 4 years of top ten recruiting classes.   Yet many Duck 🦆 fans are very nervous about tomorrow.  

Interesting question, I have taught a Nobel Laureate and those who struggle tremendously to learn. They can all learn, and I can guarantee you they all struggle at times.

Everyone just needs time and support while they work towards their goals. I choose to support, try not to judge, as each person wrestles with failures and successes. I also try to celebrate the successes more than dwell on the failures, although one must learn, sometimes slowly.

I do also think it is interesting to see those with all the advantages struggle. Sometimes it takes a bit of a disadvantage to understand the struggles needed to succeed.

On Cristobal, he has gone from being a loser in his first coaching job to taking a losing program to the cusp of being a playoff team. I think that is growth and worthy of support.

Also the best example, comparison to Oregon and its benefactor is Oklahoma State, with T. Boone Pickens and his gift of hundreds of millions to the athletic department. It has bought them one top ten finish. We have had a much better return, and we never hit the top ten until the money started coming in.

• Thumbs Up 4

For all of us, the choices and decisions we make lay the blue print for our lives. The actions we take from those decisions lay the footer and foundation for living those lives. Good or bad we write our story. Other's stories can and will criss cross or parallel ours.

Consider these choices

AD at FIU determines that Coach MC had the program headed in wrong direction. (maybe he listened to boosters and fans)

Within weeks of being fired Coach Saban, yeah that Saban, hires and tutors a young MC. 2015 National Recruiter of the Year

The snake lures MC to Oregon. For some reason MC chooses to leave Bama and come to Oregon.

The snake chooses to follow his dream. Great choice........

Thankfully a large group of Oregon players, some currently in the NFL, make the choice to talk to Oregon AD to strongly recommend MC as HC.

AD wisely makes the choice to make MC the HC.

Multiple 4 and 5 stars make the choice to come to Oregon.

MC makes the choice to hire JM and TD. They choose to come to Oregon.

Footer, foundation laid, from those choices the Oregon story continues to be written.

Go Ducks. Make good choices against the Cougs. Go 1-0.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's both.  It's the U of O... and something else.

• Thumbs Up 1

Excellent topic and insightful comments.  Many of my thoughts were taken and many of my points were made.  Collectively, you guys are awesome!  Go Ducks!

We have a team worthy of greatness at a University capable of helping those young men be the best they can be.  They are led by a man with the right attitude, the right work ethics, and a belief he can help lead them to greatness.

The 2021 version of the Ducks are not quite like any Duck team I’v seen in a while.  The games are exiting, scary, exhilarating, and terrifying at the same time.  Last week was the first week I felt like we were in good shape. We were down 3-9 at that point. Most weeks I am tied up in knots be the end.

But the reality of it is, we have a bunch of 3, 4, and 5 star athletes in an environment like Oregon offers with a attitude like MC is building, I think good things have begun, and will continue to happen for the foreseeable future.  What a time to be a Duck fan!

• Thumbs Up 1