Charles Fischer

What Autzen and 9-1 Means to Coach Cristobal

(Press Release from Oregon Athletics)

Question:  What does it mean to you to be 9-1 with two regular season games left?

CRISTOBAL: "We are 1-0. The clock will strike midnight here in about 30 minutes or so. We gotta get back at it. We have to make sure the guys get a good night’s sleep, get some good food in them, and get some good rest. We are getting better and better as a program. Our run game continues to improve, the way we defend the run continues to improve, we defended the pass well for the most part tonight. A lot of parts are coming together.

Our special teams units and coverage units were way better tonight - drastic improvement. We worked on it, and showed up. I have got to mention Kris Hutson, because Kris Hutson’s tackle on the fumble, or what they called a fumble. I don’t have a good TV angle, maybe you guys saw it better than I did, but that thing was getting returned. But, Kris Hutson getting that defender on the ground and making them settle for three, when that really could have turned the game around the other way. That could have been a huge momentum swing. Credit to him for doing that.

Things like that are things that stick out. Mykael (Wright)’s kickoff return, Verone’s interception, the defensive stand after Kris Hutson’s tackle. All of those things are just the catalysts, they really are big time plays. Against an excellent -  I want to give them a lot of credit - they are a really good football team. That is a team that is very hard to prepare for. They are very unique in what they do on both sides of the ball."

Question:  On the crowd at Autzen Stadium…

CRISTOBAL: "Awesome, Awesome. We needed that, needed to have it. Everyone had a great time, it sounded like everyone had a great time. I know our prospects and recruit’s families had an awesome time. Running out there to start the game and seeing that, and feeling that noise level. We knew it was going to be special. We felt it, it makes our players a couple inches taller and a few pounds heavier and stronger every time the Autzen crowd comes out like that. We really appreciate everyone there tonight. We have got to keep bringing it."

• Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/14/2021 at 2:28 AM, Charles Fischer said:

We felt it, it makes our players a couple inches taller and a few pounds heavier and stronger every time the Autzen crowd comes out like that. We really appreciate everyone there tonight. We have got to keep bringing it."

I can only imagine what that feels like to the players and coaches, a symbiotic connection between the fans and the team.

Get ready for a less than friendly crowd next week. Rice-Eccolls Stadium and the MUSS will be going bananas. 

I am hoping for a reasonable KO time. 3:30 eastern would be nice.

• Thumbs Up 2

Everyone had a great time, it sounded like everyone had a great time. I know our prospects and recruit’s families had an awesome time.

This is what really mattered, the recruits and families, big time recruits!

On 11/14/2021 at 2:28 AM, Charles Fischer said:

(Press Release from Oregon Athletics)

I have got to mention Kris Hutson, because Kris Hutson’s tackle on the fumble, or what they called a fumble. I don’t have a good TV angle, maybe you guys saw it better than I did, but that thing was getting returned.

No, coach. ESPN cut to a bevvy of very important commercials because I pay extra to watch commercials. In fact, it's annoying when my commercials are interrupted by endless replays of what might have been the biggest play in the 4th quarter. 

• Thumbs Up 3

It is difficult to watch a game on any ESPN channel or ABC. Those 4 minute commercial breaks destroy the flow of the game.

To break away on such a critical review is classless.

As a fan 9-1 has such a sweet sound to it. But the focus by MC, his staff and the players to go 1-0 is paying off.

Thankful the fans were really into this game. Young 4/ 5 star recruits and their parents feel the energy generated. Don't think they are not caught up in that excitement  Then hungry to feel those fans cheer for them as they envision their time on the field.

Go Ducks. Beat the Utes. 1-0.....

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/14/2021 at 9:15 AM, nw777b said:

No, coach. ESPN cut to a bevvy of very important commercials because I pay extra to watch commercials. In fact, it's annoying when my commercials are interrupted by endless replays of what might have been the biggest play in the 4th quarter. 

Canzano has a great article this morning about the poor broadcast quality last night. ESPN went on the cheap - outdated eq trucks, contract min cameras, etc. He thought they went to commercial because they didn’t have the right replay cameras - pylon, etc so they had nothing to show. 

On 11/14/2021 at 7:17 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Get ready for a less than friendly crowd next week. Rice-Eccolls Stadium and the MUSS will be going bananas. 

Yes. Was there once back when Urban Meyer coach. Like being in Pullman, only divinely inspired.

On 11/14/2021 at 2:13 PM, Washington Waddler said:

Yes. Was there once back when Urban Meyer coach. Like being in Pullman, only divinely inspired.

Utah plays at Florida next year on, I think, the same day the Ducks play UGA in Atlanta? 1st game for Utah in a H+H with Florida. Florida may have a new coach?

On 11/14/2021 at 10:43 AM, DurangoJim said:

Canzano has a great article this morning about the poor broadcast quality last night. ESPN went on the cheap - outdated eq trucks, contract min cameras, etc. He thought they went to commercial because they didn’t have the right replay cameras - pylon, etc so they had nothing to show. 

Thank you. That's so pathetic. 

On 11/14/2021 at 11:15 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Florida may have a new coach?

Yeah, Lake would be great there. :classic_wink:

On 11/14/2021 at 7:17 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I think Oregon players like an angry crowd too. I know what they don't like... No crowd at all. Some of their worst play has come in quiet stadiums either because fans weren't allowed or because those aren't energetic stadiums anyways.. looking at you cal and Stanford. 

• Haha 2

On 11/14/2021 at 2:27 PM, David Marsh said:

I think Oregon players like an angry crowd too. I know what they don't like... No crowd at all. Some of their worst play has come in quiet stadiums either because fans weren't allowed or because those aren't energetic stadiums anyways.. looking at you cal and Stanford. 

Fortunately, the game is not buried on the Pac-12 Network and is a reasonable 7:30 KO time back east. Chris + Herbie will be in Columbus but the ABC back up crew is not that bad.

On 11/14/2021 at 11:27 AM, David Marsh said:

I think you’re right about the Ducks playing less-than-inspired football in quiet stadiums.  That said, I was at the Stanford game, thought the Ducks fans were numerous and vocal.  Unfortunately the Stanford fans also woke up at the end.

On 11/14/2021 at 12:17 PM, Otis Day said:

Unfortunately the Stanford fans also woke up at the end.

And the refs sided with them... because that last call...

Yes... that call is going to stick with me for a long while.

• Thumbs Up 1