ChicoDuck1

I can't tell you how impressed I am with Byron Cardwell

We know he is the complete package at RB. Great triangle numbers combined with elite receiving skills.

But last night he started to look more comfortable at the D1 level. We're starting to see some of the stuff that was on his HS tape.

It was the patience that got my attention. Freshman ball carriers usually want to flash their open field skills, bounce it to the freeway and take it to the pylon. More experienced (and talented) backs use the the whole field and look for the windows that open & close around them as they move from the second to the third level.

Cardwell took some big development steps last night. Instead of trying to Gap Bounce everything, he he used his Next Level Start/Stop and vision on his first TD run. On his second touchdown he had the patience to let Steven Jones finish his block, and the cut back inside the hole rather than trying to take it to the pylon.

His vision and ability to Bend/Sink and "get small" coupled with his break away speed will make him one of the best ever at Oregon.

This kids future is so bright he needs to wear shades.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 2

• Thumbs Up 5

He reminded me a little of Bell when he was running behind that great Pittsburgh offensive line. Great patience on a run waiting for his blockers to open up a hole and the great burst of speed up the middle for a td thru a big hole in WSUs line. 

This kid has great potential, glad to see him get a chance even though I hate Verdell being injured.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Chicoduck1

Nice observations and analysis.

Cardwell will be a joy to watch the next few years. Exciting times ahead for this young man.

Especially excited to see all the solid down field blocking. When the O gets the edge it's off to the races.

Go Ducks. It's a new season this week. Beat the Utes. 1-0

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think we ha Ave to worry about RB anymore.

• Thumbs Up 3

Cardwell, Benson, Dollars, Seven, I think we are loaded for the future. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/14/2021 at 7:41 AM, ChicoDuck1 said:

His vision and ability to Bend/Sink and "get small" coupled with his break away speed will make him one of the best ever at Oregon.

This kids future is so bright he needs to wear shades.

Thanks for putting into words what I felt as I watched this young student athlete continue to impress and create excitement for his time ahead of him!

• Thumbs Up 2

Glad we took 2 RB's last year instead of the normal . great job by coach Mastro and MC 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I love how Cardwell's running style is enough of a contrast to Dye that it keeps the defenses guessing. Throw in the possibility of AB running and you have the three headed monster that Cristobal envisioned all along. Not to be overlooked is the incredible job of run blocking being done by Oregon's offense.

I believe that both Dye and Verdell have the option of coming back next year for one last season. I could see Dye doing everything he needs to do to fill out his resume and leave for the NFL after this season is finally finished, but it makes sense to me that Verdell might elect to stay for one more season to better display what he is capable of and perhaps reassure the NFL that he can survive a season without being injured. 

It will be interesting to see how the off season plays out. I can't imagine everyone will stay if both Dye and Verdell, or even just Verdell, come back. It makes me reflect on the interview with LaMichael James who said he was having so much fun playing college ball that he almost wished he would have stayed another year given how his pro career turned out.

I also wonder which coaches are going to get lured away with the many job openings now available. Moorhead and Mastro have popped up on many short lists and I'm guessing both would like head coaching gigs. Who do they take with them should they leave? 

Love the way O lines responds to having a back with Cardwell’s patients and timing. It’s a trust you can’t buy.

• Thumbs Up 1

#21 is looking special. Mastro salivated at getting him. I see why. the natural vision, effective studder step fluid hips and quick burst. Understands north snd south. 

He’s also got a different body than Dye or Verdel, already. 

An off-season in the weight room is going to do good things fir him. He’s going to be a 225 pound fast twitch freak in two years. 

The RB room looks really good going forward. 

• Like 1

Going to be a crowded room if Verdell and Dye stay for another season.

I believe they have one more season available.

What a problem to have.......

Some may transfer out to get playing time. Hopefully they consider that other teams don't have holes you can drive a car through and convoys of road graders blocking down field.

Go Ducks....

• Thumbs Up 2

Cardwell has incredible vision and patience which is something that Verdell doesn't really have and has been missing for the past several years. Verdell runs hard and hits whatever hole he gets with a whole lot of speed and power. 

If he breaks through he can he gone... As we have seen with some of his long runs... Most notably against Ohio state this year. 

But if there isn't a play to be had, he just slams into defensive players and often falls forward for a couple yards and that's about it.

Dye is like a knife where he can shoot through a small hole and power forward. He is a bit more like Verdell in that regard but dye does have better vision and will bounce if he sees it early enough. 

Cardwell is next level. He reminds me a lot of Freeman... A bigger back that can run physically but knows he doesn't have to and can explode with some surprising speed. Maybe even a Thomas tyner type back... For the short about of time tyner was healthy that is. 

I'm only making more recent comparison because it's what I know. I am sure there are better ones and I saw some better ones posted above. 

• Like 2

On 11/14/2021 at 12:35 PM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

Cardwell, Benson, Dollars, Seven, I think we are loaded for the future. 

And THIS is pre-portal possibilities. It will be interesting to see how many Ducks flock to the portal? I figure at least 1 QB and possibly a couple of WRs?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/14/2021 at 11:27 AM, Jon Joseph said:

It will be interesting to see how many Ducks flock to the portal? I figure at least 1 QB and possibly a couple of WRs?

I can see Benson going to the portal for running backs. 

Ashford for the QB spot... Or do they look at changing his position to keep his athleticism around? Probably wouldn't happen. 

As for wide outs... Maybe Crocker ... He was getting close to seeing the field and was looking good in the spring game... But the youngsters have passed over him on the roster now. 

I doubt we lose any freshmen because so many have seen playtime and beyond that we will be losing some old vets especially at wr. JJ3 and Redd will both be gone after this year. 

On 11/14/2021 at 11:27 AM, Jon Joseph said:

And THIS is pre-portal possibilities. It will be interesting to see how many Ducks flock to the portal? I figure at least 1 QB and possibly a couple of WRs?

I hope the WR's are seeing promise in either Ty, Robbie, or Jay during practice.  If AB was the QB of the future, I think more than 2 WR's would bolt!  I hope the passing side of the RPO will be prolific next year whoever is the QB.  A strong rushing attack is always foundational, and AB had a couple nice throws down the field last night, but how many that were from 0 to 2 yard with a defender draped all over him...on 3rd and long?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/14/2021 at 2:34 PM, David Marsh said:

I can see Benson going to the portal for running backs. 

Ashford for the QB spot... Or do they look at changing his position to keep his athleticism around? Probably wouldn't happen. 

As for wide outs... Maybe Crocker ... He was getting close to seeing the field and was looking good in the spring game... But the youngsters have passed over him on the roster now. 

I doubt we lose any freshmen because so many have seen playtime and beyond that we will be losing some old vets especially at wr. JJ3 and Redd will both be gone after this year. 

Good thoughts. Is Ashford still playing baseball and if so, will this help keep him in the fold? Ashford's dual threat ability could have him in the QB mix next year?

Every time i look at Camden Lewis I think that you never know the player who will make a big leap from one year to the next?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2021 at 11:24 AM, David Marsh said:

Cardwell is next level. He reminds me a lot of Freeman... A bigger back that can run physically but knows he doesn't have to and can explode with some surprising speed. Maybe even a Thomas tyner type back... For the short about of time tyner was healthy that is. 

I'm only making more recent comparison because it's what I know. I am sure there are better ones and I saw some better ones posted above. 

That’s it, Thomas Tyner.  Cardwell reminds me too of Tyner.  Hoping Cardwell is durable.

• Thumbs Up 1

ability to Bend/Sink and "get small" coupled with his break away speed

All, except for the "break away speed"  Cardwell's "bend/sink and get small" moves have consistently defined my usual output "ability" with drivers off the tee. 

golf showing GIF

• Haha 2

he started to look more comfortable at the D1 level.

Proof of that to me was when it was an Outside Zone to the left, but then he paused and saw no hole and made a great cut-back the other direction....like the old days!  He got seven yards on a play that WSU initially had well defensed.

And any further insights you have--we love to read them here ChicoDuck!

Mr. FishDuck

Im thinking shades of RF or LaB but with more quickness, ability to side step

Cardwell wears #21. Great things come from backs that wear #21. 10# and this dude could be unstoppable.  Verdell and Dye should think if they come back they will be #2 & #3 next year. Cardwell will be the starter after this season.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/14/2021 at 12:09 PM, Otis Day said:

That’s it, Thomas Tyner.  Cardwell reminds me too of Tyner.  Hoping Cardwell is durable.

I'm thinking Tyner was more of a track guy first, and a football guy second. He had great straight line speed (and he was a tough guy - Rose Bowl). 

Cardwell is a different breed of cat. He is the complete package that I'm not sure that we have ever seen at Oregon. Every one of these guys that we think back on had a deficiency. Whether it was a top end gear, the ability to bounce, the vision to use the whole field, the stop/start and bend to use the whole field. Could any of them get "small" down in the red zone to score and still protect themselves? Could any of them run between the tackles and still catch the ball like a WR?

I'm beginning to think that Cardwell may very well be the most talented kid that Oregon has ever had in their backfield.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, watch #77 George Moore in that play just push his guy off the hole and Forsyth pretty much did the same. A great block of the safety downfield by Webb and that play was destined for pay dirt. Great hesitation and then burst of speed by Cardwell. He does look the part.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2021 at 10:45 PM, C J said:

Wow, watch #77 George Moore in that play just push his guy off the hole and Forsyth pretty much did the same. A great block of the safety downfield by Webb and that play was destined for pay dirt. Great hesitation and then burst of speed by Cardwell. He does look the part.

The down field blocking this season has seemed extra extraordinary. It's fun to watch replays of big running plays just to watch the great blocking from players of almost every position, including quarterback. Blocking this season has been elevated almost to the level of an art form.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2021 at 11:42 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Good thoughts. Is Ashford still playing baseball and if so, will this help keep him in the fold? Ashford's dual threat ability could have him in the QB mix next year?

Every time i look at Camden Lewis I think that you never know the player who will make a big leap from one year to the next?

Thought I read last summer Ashford is going to drop baseball and focus on football?

On 11/15/2021 at 9:24 AM, JDuck said:

Thought I read last summer Ashford is going to drop baseball and focus on football?

It did and then later there was a post that said he was going to do both again 

• Thumbs Up 1