30Duck

What Happens if Fickell Doesn't Want USC?

USC does not want to be Texas. But if they don't get the right coach this time they will really be in trouble. 

If Luke Fickell Turns Down Mike Bohn,  USC Faces Uncomfortable Possibilities  Trojans wire Matt Zemeck

image.jpeg.3dff644ff857a78398fb1320a24f8a5e.jpeg

Fickell, Franklin, Bill O'Brien, Matt Ruhle, Brian Kelly, Joe Moorhead (Just say NO, Joe) , Mike Leach, Lane Kiffen, Dave Aranda, Matt Campbell, Bob Stoops; Mark Stoops, Coach Pete, Mel Tucker; not Sark.

For the good of the conference and the upcoming media deal  a NAME is needed. So watch them elevate the OC, Graham Harrel?

Should WSU keep its Pinch Hitter. Dikehert (sp?), Norvell, Chip Kelly,  Rocky Long, SDS Brennan, Joe Moorhead?

On 11/14/2021 at 4:49 PM, Jon Joseph said:

So watch them elevate the OC, Graham Harrel?

It's a scary thought, but...I don't leave Cincy to go to a desperate USC if I'm Fickell. Helton was not a Star Get when USC hired him, but he was the best they were going to get. Oregon's 'fanbase holds their breath during a Coach search; USC? A lot of them don't even realize Carroll is gone. They're Front runners, Rose Bowls, Playoffs, SnoopDog. If the Trojans aren't in the mix for the trophy, the fans aren't interested. This makes it hard for the AD to make a hire,

Should WSU keep its Pinch Hitter. Dikehert

I don't think that is unreasonable for them. WSU needs someone who can recruit and coach in their difficult location. If Dikehert wins out and gets WSU to a bowl game... Why not promote him? More importantly for the conference he needs to win that bowl game. 

USC is another matter. To be honest I would be surprised if they promote from within... But I doubt they will. Granted they have examples of failing to promote from within and failure because they promoted from within all in their recent history. 

I still don't know why Jack Del Rio isn't in the conversation. He expressed interest in the past, and is coaching at Washington which is 3-6, after beating Tampa Bay this weekend. 

He actually has a winning record as a pro coach and has the cache sc needs. 

It seems most programs go after the new shiny thing, and Fickell is just that. One problem is he won't be available until late, late in the recruiting cycle.

Kind of a crazy situation, but picking off a DC from a pro team with a losing record would seem to be easier than a coach who is white hot and will go deep into the bowl season.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fickell, Franklin, Bill O'Brien, Matt Ruhle, Brian Kelly, Joe Moorhead (Just say NO, Joe) , Mike Leach, Lane Kiffen, Dave Aranda, Matt Campbell, Bob Stoops; Mark Stoops, Coach Pete, Mel Tucker; not Sark.

Can you actually imagine Mike Leach at USC? 

• Haha 2

On 11/14/2021 at 6:36 PM, latracey said:

Can you actually imagine Mike Leach at USC? 

Flight On!

• Haha 1

Rick Neuheisel??? LOL

• Haha 2

Cincy is going to be left out of the CFP, no way Fickell stays there.  USC dumpster fire is still better than Cincy for a head coach.  If the Pac 12 wants respect, they need more than Oregon to be an above average football team.  It would mean more competition for Oregon, but Fickell could be exactly what the Pac 12 needs to get respect.  I don't want to be the ACC in football.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/14/2021 at 8:03 PM, Haywarduck said:

I still don't know why Jack Del Rio isn't in the conversation. He expressed interest in the past, and is coaching at Washington which is 3-6, after beating Tampa Bay this weekend. 

He actually has a winning record as a pro coach and has the cache sc needs. 

It seems most programs go after the new shiny thing, and Fickell is just that. One problem is he won't be available until late, late in the recruiting cycle.

Kind of a crazy situation, but picking off a DC from a pro team with a losing record would seem to be easier than a coach who is white hot and will go deep into the bowl season.

I believe Del Rio recently noted that he has no interest coaching in college. Recruiting, CFB free agency, keeping track of the portal? Lots of stuff many guys in the pros want nothing to do with. I don't think today's recruits are that tuned in to Jack?

On 11/15/2021 at 11:07 AM, Tandaian said:

Cincy is going to be left out of the CFP, no way Fickell stays there.  USC dumpster fire is still better than Cincy for a head coach.  If the Pac 12 wants respect, they need more than Oregon to be an above average football team.  It would mean more competition for Oregon, but Fickell could be exactly what the Pac 12 needs to get respect.  I don't want to be the ACC in football.

If Cincy defeats SMU Saturday and Ducks lose at Utah, Cincy moves into the top 4. Cincy is getting all kinds of PO love from ESPN and many other talking heads. Watch Tuesday to see if SMU and/or Houston are ranked. This would give a bump to Cincy's SOS.

On 11/15/2021 at 11:07 AM, Tandaian said:

Fickell already passed on the MI ST job.

Fickell will be coaching in the B12. If the PO field, as expected, expands to 12 teams per the Pac-12 format, Cincy will be in a very good position to win the B12 and advance or to advance as an AL team. Basically, he's already a P5 coach with a solid roster and foundation at Cincy. He has 6 kids and both him and his spouse are Midwest folks.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/15/2021 at 8:26 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I believe Del Rio recently noted that he has no interest coaching in college. Recruiting, CFB free agency, keeping track of the portal? Lots of stuff many guys in the pros want nothing to do with. I don't think today's recruits are that tuned in to Jack?

The USC head coaching search is ramping up, and at least several coaches in the NFL have been linked to the vacancy that opened up in September when the Trojans parted ways with Clay Helton. Washington Football Team defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio was the latest to be asked about the USC vacancy after once stating years ago that he would be interested in the job, but Del Rio largely brushed aside the question.

“I’m going to channel Mike Tomlin right now," Del Rio told reporters Thursday. "Did he shut it down or what? I feel really good about being the defensive coordinator for Washington.”

Del Rio, a former USC linebacker and third-round pick in the 1985 NFL Draft, said on ESPN radio in September 2019 that while he fully supported Helton at the time, he would have interest if the job was to ever become vacant. "If and when there ever was anything, yeah I would be interested," Del Rio told ESPN.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am not saying he is or isn't on the list, just wondering why he wouldn't be. When the pundits have all these wild guesses and then leave off somebody who has stated they have interest makes you wonder how valid the lists are.

Of course, as I have stated, I don't have a lot of faith in Bohn to make this decision. I also think having at least two teams who are contenders west of the Mississippi would be a good thing for us and the Pac-12. 

I suppose with little faith in Bohn and the pundits, it doesn't surprise Del Rio isn't on any lists, even sc's.

There's always Les Miles🤑

image.jpeg.7359426ac04a65b457316939d02cd49e.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Miami fired their AD, so it looks like Diaz will probably be next. If I’m Cristobal or any other coach who is in demand, I might stay right where I am if it’s a good situation. Programs are showing less patience with their coaching staffs these days. It likely has to do with the ability to utilize the transfer portal for quick success. It used to be a guy got 3-4 years to turn it around. Now, it’s more like 1-2 years. 

Willie, Willie!

On 11/15/2021 at 12:10 PM, Haywarduck said:

The USC head coaching search is ramping up, and at least several coaches in the NFL have been linked to the vacancy that opened up in September when the Trojans parted ways with Clay Helton. Washington Football Team defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio was the latest to be asked about the USC vacancy after once stating years ago that he would be interested in the job, but Del Rio largely brushed aside the question.

“I’m going to channel Mike Tomlin right now," Del Rio told reporters Thursday. "Did he shut it down or what? I feel really good about being the defensive coordinator for Washington.”

Del Rio, a former USC linebacker and third-round pick in the 1985 NFL Draft, said on ESPN radio in September 2019 that while he fully supported Helton at the time, he would have interest if the job was to ever become vacant. "If and when there ever was anything, yeah I would be interested," Del Rio told ESPN.

But would this hire move any recruits meter? I just don't see Del Rio coming in and goosing SC recruiting? What do today's recruits know about Del Rio?

I think Deion Sanders would be more impactful than Jack?

But I think the next hire at SC will be PSU's Franklin. Has the personality for SC and would not have to deal with OH St, MI and MI St plus tough B1G W cross over opponents.

On 11/16/2021 at 1:59 PM, 30Duck said:

Might not be a bad choice. He did take over a team that was 11-3 and went 2-7. This year he is 8-2, and he has a good track record as an assistant. 

I suppose it shows coaches they can make one good season into a fortune. That is if this turns into a major power program job. It is still a question if he can turn any program around. I guess that is true of any coach.

On 11/15/2021 at 11:29 AM, Jon Joseph said:

If Cincy defeats SMU Saturday and Ducks lose at Utah, Cincy moves into the top 4. Cincy is getting all kinds of PO love from ESPN and many other talking heads. Watch Tuesday to see if SMU and/or Houston are ranked. This would give a bump to Cincy's SOS.

Houston #24. 

On 11/16/2021 at 7:57 PM, Haywarduck said:

Might not be a bad choice. He did take over a team that was 11-3 and went 2-7. This year he is 8-2, and he has a good track record as an assistant. 

I suppose it shows coaches they can make one good season into a fortune. That is if this turns into a major power program job. It is still a question if he can turn any program around. I guess that is true of any coach.

He also grew up in Redlands, CA and has a brother coaching HS basketball in LA. Played at and graduated from CAL Lutheran,. As the DC at LSU Aranda kicked booty. If SC does not pursue him watch out for UW?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2021 at 7:57 PM, Haywarduck said:

He made a great hire bringing in the OC from BYU and getting out of the way. He also brought 7 starters in from the portal. 

On 11/16/2021 at 8:12 PM, Jon Joseph said:

He also grew up in Redlands, CA and has a brother coaching HS basketball in LA. Played at and graduated from CAL Lutheran,. As the DC at LSU Aranda kicked booty. If SC does not pursue him watch out for UW?

Agree, in this market, he is a hot commodity. 

I know we want more relevance for the Pac12, but why does USC have to be good? Why not UCLA?

I would much rather see Chip carry the banner in LA. Let the dumpster fire that is SC burn for a few more years!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/17/2021 at 4:30 PM, DanLduck said:

I know we want more relevance for the Pac12, but why does USC have to be good? Why not UCLA?

I would much rather see Chip carry the banner in LA. Let the dumpster fire that is SC burn for a few more years!

Why not indeed? But historically UCLA comes nowhere close to the success the Trojans have experienced in CFB. It is of course the opposite when it comes to basketball. UCLA is a basketball school.

UCLA is not helped by playing its home games in Pasadena, in a huge and starting to age Rose Bowl. But building a stadium in Westwood today? Forget about it.

And I am reasonably certain that the SC administrators have more interest in success on the football field than do the folks running UCLA? There are back-channel talks going on between NBC and SC regarding an NBC Notre Dame like broadcast deal with the Trojans. Also rumored talks with CBS that is about to lose the SEC broadcast rights. I think Bob Bowlsby and the B12 would do a deal with SC for all sports other than football? The same kind of deal ND has with the ACC? I also think Bowlsby and the other B12 members would be willing to give SC a bigger slice of the pie if it would bring SC on board? (Ditto the Ducks BTW.)

The B1G comes to the media renegotiation table first. SC is going to use this deal as a comparison with what GK can pull off for the Pac-12. I'm not certain that SC wants to continue receiving the same cut as Washington State? I also think that Oregon better be looking out for itself? The "new' B12 has 5 teams ranked in the Committee's top 25, 5 Cincinnati, 9 OK ST, 11 Baylor, 14 BYU and 24 Houston.

The 'new' B12, even without OK/TX, will be a deeper and better CFB conference than the Pac-12. This also will likely be the case in basketball? 

1 extra P5 Alliance OOC game a year will not save the Pac 12's bacon. Today, the biggest beneficiary of The Alliance is the new Pac-12 commissioner. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 7:51 AM, Jon Joseph said:

The 'new' B12, even without OK/TX, will be a deeper and better CFB conference than the Pac-12. This also will likely be the case in basketball? 

Immediately, Traveler can get in the horse trailer and Puddles can drive Oregon and USC to meet up with the Big 12.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2021 at 4:17 PM, 30Duck said:

Update; Lane Kiffin would leave his mom on the side of the freeway in the middle of the winter, for the next best job anywhere! No news there, Slater Scoop!

• Haha 2

On 11/18/2021 at 9:27 PM, Haywarduck said:

Update; Lane Kiffin would leave his mom on the side of the freeway in the middle of the winter, for the next best job anywhere! No news there, Slater Scoop!

But he is not leaving Ole Miss for Miami. Why would he do so. He is likely to finish 2nd in the SEC W this season and play in the Sugar, Fiesta or Peach Bowl?

Miami would be a big step down. But twits must tweet, right?

• Thumbs Up 1