Notalot

Quarterback Russian Roulette With Anthony Brown

One bullet is loaded into the revolver. The cylinder is spun. Where did it stop before being pointed at our collective heads? The trigger is pulled - only to hear a metal on metal click. What if?

As the season has progressed for Duck's football, I feel an ominous sense of peril. The source of my fear is the total reliance of Duck Football on Anthony Brown.

I get it that Brown is a sixth-year college QB. I know that he started and was a proficient starter at Boston college where he was good, but never great. I get it, and agree that his experience and earned leadership made Brown the best choice to lead the Ducks when the season began.

I cannot imagine that ten games into the season, with a 5* and two 4* recruit Freshmen, one with a redshirt year under his belt, that other Duck QB's have not all been given significant game action snaps. Anthony Brown is a planned rusher. He rushed 29 times in the past two games alone. He has no lifeline or net under him in the case of injury. He is exposed to potential injury every snap; hand-off, pass, or rush. Frightening.

Anthony Brown as the sole playing Duck Quaterback is Russian Roulette. Do you feel the tension as the Ducks move closer to the North Title, PAC12 Championship game, a New Years bowl game, or the CFB Championship Playoff games?

I was taught to hedge my bets. Coaches Cristobal and Moorhead have gone "all in" and bet the house on Anthony Brown. Will the Ducks survive?

An injury to Brown, and the Ducks are wounded, maybe fatally.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good point but I don't see anybody else doing that although they don't have a running QB

Sure it could blow up.  But my belief is that the Ducks would not be in the current four and would not have a chance for the final four but for the AB's play.  I say go for it.

• Thumbs Up 4

I fully agree with you that AB was a big part of our wins. Going into the most important games of the season, those with the greatest implications and visibility, with no bench experience concerns me greatly.

The high risk now was manageable before.

Completely agree, but then I am the guy who thinks it is insane to run your QB between the tackles...ever.  The coaches disagree.

I take that back; I believe it makes complete since to run a QB sneak while snapping from under center for a short TD or first down needed.  But the coaches disagree.

This comes under the category of plugging my ears and going..."la-la-la-la-la-la!"  I know what you write is true, I've stated it often in the past, but this is the dilemma we are in.

I choose to believe the coaches with complete faith like the young lady below...

giphy.gif

• Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

The fact of the matter is that Oregon is 10 games into the season now and Anthony Brown is QB1. As Cristobal has plainly stated throughout the good, bad, and the ugly, Anthony Brown is the quarterback this year that gives Oregon the best chance of being successful.

Joe Moorhead has designed this year's offense to fit Brown's specific skill set which, instead of passing a lot, focuses on Oregon's run game. While it has gone through a series of fits and starts, I think the second half of the WSU game demonstrated that, when it gets rolling, it's very hard for defenses to stop. It's also quite dangerous given Brown's past injuries.

Another fact is that this is Brown's last season. Hopefully, our young quarterbacks on the sideline accept that this is a year for them to watch and learn. It's also not out of the question that, heaven forbid, one or more of them will be called on to take the reins should Brown, who has had major knee surgery on both knees, go down. He sure doesn't believe in sliding. At this late date, I think it would be hard for any of them to step into Brown's shoes and be successful.

The bottom line is that, love him or hate him, Brown is the guy this year and his coaches and team mates love him. It's not always pretty, but he is one tough young man who plays hard and finds ways to win.

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 9

It helps when your QB is 6’ 3”,  226 lbs and runs like a FB!  While somewhat short-sighted to not give TT and JB some quality game reps, I think either will do fine if thrust into service.

Great GIF Charles, LOL!

Edited by PittDuck
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

On 11/14/2021 at 6:27 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Completely agree, but then I am the guy who thinks it is insane to run your QB between the tackles...ever.  The coaches disagree.

I take that back; I believe it makes complete since to run a QB sneak while snapping from under center for a short TD or first down needed.  But the coaches disagree.

This comes under the category of plugging my ears and going..."la-la-la-la-la-la!"  I know what you write is true, I've stated it often in the past, but this is the dilemma we are in.

I choose to believe the coaches with complete faith like the young lady below...

giphy.gif

Laughed my Azz off.  Nothing to see here, move along.

The only thing we are not getting from AB is the long ball. Maybe it will come?

With the way this season has gone, the opportunities to give live reps to AB’s back ups have been few and far between. There’s as many QB use theories out there as there are loose wires in Jimmy Lake’s head, but I still buy into the idea that the best thing for the team is one guy runs the show. 

The closer we get to the brass ring, the more ridiculous the worrying becomes. I just try to remember how much more relaxed I felt in August about AB running the show than I tend to now. Hey! What me worry?

• Haha 1

AB's pretty much unflappable. He plays calm and under control. So far, this team can count on him to lead in the 4th quarter.

It may not be perfect but his 9-1 record as the starter speaks volumes.

It's scary that he could get hurt and the end result of the season could change in an instant.

However the next man will step-up. Go thru a learning curve. Good or bad..... 

I hope AB stays healthy, keeps improving and we see him start 5 more football games.

It is a great thing if all 3 freshmen QB's on the roster can redshirt this year. If AB makes that possible it will be another gift he provides the program.

All in all this young man made a great choice to transfer to Oregon.

I for one am thankful.

1-0 this week.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Bloggers here have often referred to the * talent of our young QBs.

This is a bit off-topic but I'm curious...what would you think if MC goes after another transfer or a portal QB and our star talent QBs continue to sit on the bench next fall?

The truth of the matter is that this duck team isn't expirenced or good enough at this time to realistically give too many snaps to the back ups. 

Well that is actually not true at all. This team has given a TON of snaps to back ups. Just not in garbage time. There have been so many injuries this year that basically only a few freshman will be redshirting. Everyone has been pressed into service at some point this year. Even Thompson and Butterfield during the Stony Brook game. 

We have only started the same defensive starters in two games this year. We have started the same offensive line in like maybe 3 games this year. 

Back ups are seeing playing time as starters or immediate back ups who are needed on the field. 

But... Yes... The coaches are betting the house on Brown to date with these runs... And to be honest... I love that Cristobal is willing to take the risk. 

Will he be taking the risk next year with Thompson or Butterfield? Probably not ... Both are primary passers who can run. Brown is more of a runner who can throw a bit. So use his strengths and let those youngsters develop a bit. 

There have been few opportunities tor backup QB time.  Coaching staff jobs are dependent upon victory.  Thinking they should risk their employment on a kid with recruiting stars in all the close games we have had makes no sense.

we have been exposing our QB to injury since Kelly came as Bellotti’s OC.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Have to agree with Grandpa Duck. There has been very little opportunity to play any of our backup QB's. I actually have confidence in all three of our backup's should we have to use them but then I am not a coach.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2021 at 5:34 PM, Notalot said:

He has no lifeline or net under him in the case of injury.

Then whom do you play at QB? Are you willing to risk losing just to experiment with a younger player. 

The Ducks are in control of their destiny. Win out and they will be undisputed champions. 

I get the frustration at not seeing a strong consistent downfield passing game. 

I don’t get the repeated griping about AB bring the QB. He’s gives the best shot at winning.

That’s all that matters. 

• Thumbs Up 3

AB is the guy, no question. And he should be. The point Notalot is making is that the Ducks have no proven backup QB to step in should Brown go down. And that’s because Oregon has not been able to win convincingly in most of its games.

You don’t sub in your backup QB when the game is on the line, and several of Oregon’s wins weren’t sealed until the very end of the game. My concern is that if Brown is injured,  will Thomson be able to step up and produce? There is no body of work from Thompson that allows us to answer that question.

• Thumbs Up 2

The coaches see all the reps. Gotta trust the coaches on this one. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/14/2021 at 6:31 PM, latracey said:

Joe Moorhead has designed this year's offense to fit Brown's specific skill set which, instead of passing a lot, focuses on Oregon's run game.

Agreed. JM is very aware of AB’s twice repaired left knee, and is only going to put him in harms way when the odds are in his favor, much as he did with a Coug defense that lacked a QB spy and reliable corner containment. 

Smart guys like AB heed the injury lesson, and learn to ‘unlearn’ specific running habits that led to the problem in the first place. I put my money on him to make it to the finish line.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/14/2021 at 10:02 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

The only thing we are not getting from AB is the long ball. Maybe it will come?

It's been 6 years for AB, the long ball is not all of a sudden going to show up. The guy has been a very good game manager this season. He has scored a lot of important TDs running the ball. 

Interesting that #1 UGA has a similar game manager QB in Stetson Bennett. 

Do not stretch AB's ability. Calling for a long ball throw late in the game at UCLA was a big mistake.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/14/2021 at 8:34 PM, Notalot said:

One bullet is loaded into the revolver. The cylinder is spun. Where did it stop before being pointed at our collective heads? The trigger is pulled - only to hear a metal on metal click. What if?

As the season has progressed for Duck's football, I feel an ominous sense of peril. The source of my fear is the total reliance of Duck Football on Anthony Brown.

I get it that Brown is a sixth-year college QB. I know that he started and was a proficient starter at Boston college where he was good, but never great. I get it, and agree that his experience and earned leadership made Brown the best choice to lead the Ducks when the season began.

I cannot imagine that ten games into the season, with a 5* and two 4* recruit Freshmen, one with a redshirt year under his belt, that other Duck QB's have not all been given significant game action snaps. Anthony Brown is a planned rusher. He rushed 29 times in the past two games alone. He has no lifeline or net under him in the case of injury. He is exposed to potential injury every snap; hand-off, pass, or rush. Frightening.

Anthony Brown as the sole playing Duck Quaterback is Russian Roulette. Do you feel the tension as the Ducks move closer to the North Title, PAC12 Championship game, a New Years bowl game, or the CFB Championship Playoff games?

I was taught to hedge my bets. Coaches Cristobal and Moorhead have gone "all in" and bet the house on Anthony Brown. Will the Ducks survive?

An injury to Brown, and the Ducks are wounded, maybe fatally.

Sir Notalot, great to see you posting and coming with this great post.

The O the last 2 weeks is the O JM ran with McSorley at Penn State. But this Ducks D is more solid than the PSU D that was lit up by SC in the Rose Bowl. I look for Mr.T to make life miserable for Utah QB Rising. The Utah OTs are good, not great. The Duck D is playing every bit as well as the BYU and San Diego State Ds that held down the Utah O.

Anxious? That comes with being in the PO hunt in November. Every 1L team and undefeated Cincinnati is feeling the pressure. I like Oregon's late run, at Utah, OR ST vs Utah in the champ game compared to Bama vs Arkansas, at Auburn and vs Georgia. And Ohio State? Versus MI ST, at MI and likely vs Wisconsin that is on a 6 game winning streak. A 1L team that dodged a bullet Saturday with UVA's starting QB out and with only Georgia Tech and at Stanford left is the PO dark horse Notre Dame team.

The ACC is out of it. With the win at Ohio State, Oregon holds the trump card vs any 1L team that wins the B12 title. If Ohio State keeps winning there is no way a 13-0 Cincy jumps a 12-1 Oregon. Although it will be interesting to see if the CT ranks SMU and/or Houston tomorrow night. 

• Like 1

Back at those of you who commented.I have enjoyed reading your thoughts in reply to the topic. Frankly, I am surprised by the majority of responses.

In the lead post I was not disparaging Brown, nor suggesting that he should not be QB1. I have believed since he was named the starter that Oregon should ride that horse until it cannot carry the team - the job was his to lose.

I live in ACC country, and have seen Brown QB while leading Boston College. As a former QB a hundred years ago myself, I have felt some things QB's faces and feels that come with the position.  

Given AB's passing issues beginning in game #1, that have lingered throughout the 10 games, coupled with the prolonged lulls in the offense early in games and in the 2nd quarter, I would have played other QB's for several series in each game except the Ohio State game. The coaches did not.

I agree with the majority of you who posted that AB's our guy now, and we hope that he stays healthy and takes the Ducks into the playoffs. Thanks again for taking part in the dialogue.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1