Charles Fischer

Balanced Attack Leads to Rout of Dixie State

(Press Release from Oregon Athletics)

EUGENE, Ore. – Oregon’s depth was on display once again Sunday night as the No. 10 Ducks got contributions from everyone who played in an 84-35 win over Dixie State at Matthew Knight Arena.

“I thought we did a really good job,” said head coach Kelly Graves. “I thought defensively we were on point for most of the game – certainly in the second half. We didn’t shoot the ball well tonight but we only had seven fouls and only three turnovers so that’s pretty impressive.”

Six Oregon players scored in double figures led by Ahlise Hurst’s team-high 17 and Kylee Watson’s career-high 16. Phillipina Kyei recorded a double-double in just her second career game, scoring 13 points and grabbing 10 rebounds.

How it Happened: The Ducks got off to a bit of a slow start on the offensive end, but hit seven of their nine shots from the field during the middle portions of the first quarter to open up a double-digit lead. Oregon got the job done inside, as Kyei scored eight points and Watson added six to lead the Ducks to a 27-8 advantage after one.

UO used more strong defense in the second quarter to maintain the big lead going into the half. The Ducks held Dixie State to 29 percent shooting from the field through the first 20 minutes to make it a 40-19 ballgame at the break.

The Ducks continued to find buckets inside out of the break as they scored 18 of their 25 third-quarter points in the paint to build a 65-31 lead going into the fourth. Oregon put the clamps on in the fourth on the defensive end, holding Dixie State to just four points on 1-of-11 shooting while forcing five turnovers. The Ducks ended the game on a 19-1 run to finish off the victory.

Who Stood Out: Watson, who got her first career start, went a perfect 8-for-8 from the field for a career-high 16 points while grabbing four boards and coming away with three steals.

“I just knew I had to come out, play hard and do the little things,” said Watson. “My biggest thing was just not letting my teammates and coaches down and bringing that energy that usually comes off the bench but is now having opportunities to help my team out in different ways tonight.”

Kyei finished with 10 rebounds for the second straight game to start the year and posted a double-double in just her second career game. Hurst led all scorers with 17 points on 6-of-12 shooting with five assists and three rebounds. Chanaya Pinto provided a ton of energy off the bench, finishing a rebound shy of a double-double with 10 points and nine rebounds. Sydney Parrish ended with 12 points while Sedona Prince added 10 to round out the group of six Ducks in double figures.

Up Next: The Ducks open play at the Battle 4 Atlantis in The Bahamas on Saturday against Oklahoma at 2 p.m. PT.

Prince, Watson_Dixie State

Mr. FishDuck

Stanford loss to a shorter Texas due to lack of point guard - had forward, Haley Jones, trying to play as apoint guard. Ducks have a 5 star point guard, Te-Hina PaoPao, and another 5 star point guard, Chance Gray, committed for next year.

Arkie....I look forward to your input with the Womens Basketball this winter, as they are sure lined up with a ton of talent.

Mr. FishDuck