FishDuck Article

Moorhead’s Inverted Veer: The Quarterback is SUPPOSED to Be Out Blocking

The interest in the success of the running game at Oregon has generated a number of comments about Duck Quarterback Anthony Brown our leading the blocking at times. Is this part of the offensive game-plan, or part of a particular play design? Before many of you become concerned about all the screenshots and a video–this article will take you less ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Excellent break down. Thank you for making it so clear.

I was just watching that play again last night and also noted how the running back stutter steps to allow his blockers to set that up and then hits the space exactly where he should go. Great patience and vision from a freshman running back. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Thanks Charles for that detailed explanation and analysis. 

That play and many others the last 2 weeks has been poetry in motion.

Fun to watch even with ESPN going on the cheap. Even their low cost production couldn't diminish the high quality of execution on display.

Cardwell showed mature patience allowing the blocks to unfold. 

1-0....... 

Thanks for the analysis Charles!  Your explanation frame by frame is excellent!

Oregon offense is rolling like a big green tank.  Go Ducks!

Thanks for putting into color what was black and white for my brain!

I actually saw the qb running down the field at the time, I was thinking what is he doing!, but now it all makes sense. Our qb isn't just a running back, he is a blocking back. With his size he makes a pretty impressive runner and blocker.

As my interest and enthusiasm for AB grows, I only hope he can last the season. This offense, along with the defense, is becoming a force few appreciate or understand.

Thanks for the excellent analysis where we can all better appreciate the dynamic offense Moorhead is giving us. I look forward to better understanding the wins going forward, Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 3

Thanks for your thoughts, as I am normally writing Opinion-Editorial articles of which generate much more discussion.  But analysis articles and videos are my roots as a publisher, and it was great fun to break this down.  I do wish to thank Coach Boles for sharing the video of Moorhead explaining his policy, and for his original analysis of the Inverted Veer.

I was not a big fan of this play originally, because the "read-key" is on the playside, and not the backside like what you have with Inside and Outside Zone Reads.  But I've warmed up to it!

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Wonderful explanation. 

Though I would also like to say Cradwell's patience waiting for the play to develop was incredible. His feet were moving but he kept himself under control and then exploded once the gap opened up. That is some incredible patience and vision from a freshman runningback. If he was running any faster the whole play wouldn't have gone anywhere because it wouldn't have had time to develop. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Good read Charles.

So. Franklin took out two defenders by falling down. Was this by design or by accident? 

I assume that he was supposed to take out both by staying on his feet and shifting.

On 11/15/2021 at 12:38 PM, Jon Sousa said:

Good read Charles.

So. Franklin took out two defenders by falling down. Was this by design or by accident? 

I assume that he was supposed to take out both by staying on his feet and shifting.

Of course it was by accident. He only needed to block his own assigned defender, as the other would not have got to the play in time.  Refer to the Jaylon Redd explanation in the analysis, as all they need to do is shield-block a linebacker for 1.5 seconds and the play is past him.

And thank you.  Fun to do some analysis again, but boy those articles take a lot longer to create!

Mr. FishDuck