Mike West

Some People ARE Paying Attention...

I believe this was for the sake of argument only, but it was  mentioned.

From Saturday Down South :

"Look, Bennett is a great story. He’s fun to watch. But does Georgia beat Alabama or Ohio State or Oregon – teams that can score points on the Georgia defense — with Bennett?"

The lead story is about Lane Kiffin (think he'd go back to USC?), with some after thought discussion. In any event, My take?

If Brown can complete passes like he did against Ohio State ( to loosen things up for a very strong running game), we'll be able to run the ball on playoff teams (if we reach the playoffs).  

Now I imagine Morehead will install plenty of screens if he faced the Bulldogs ( inside, and those dreaded bubble screens), and I sure hope he uses plenty of jet motion against Georgia.

But let's get past Utah first.  Again, loosen up the box, ground and pound.  And if Brown can hit a couple of deep shots....

I am never opposed to passing to set up the run--even if it is not usual football doctrine.  For Oregon...that could really work, but as you say--we need to complete some longer passes too.

GREAT to see you posting Mike.

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/15/2021 at 8:39 AM, Mike West said:

I believe this was for the sake of argument only, but it was  mentioned.

From Saturday Down South :

"Look, Bennett is a great story. He’s fun to watch. But does Georgia beat Alabama or Ohio State or Oregon – teams that can score points on the Georgia defense — with Bennett?"

The lead story is about Lane Kiffin (think he'd go back to USC?), with some after thought discussion. In any event, My take?

If Brown can complete passes like he did against Ohio State ( to loosen things up for a very strong running game), we'll be able to run the ball on playoff teams (if we reach the playoffs).  

Now I imagine Morehead will install plenty of screens if he faced the Bulldogs ( inside, and those dreaded bubble screens), and I sure hope he uses plenty of jet motion against Georgia.

But let's get past Utah first.  Again, loosen up the box, ground and pound.  And if Brown can hit a couple of deep shots....

I agree 1 game at a time. I trust our coaches to have a game plan that gives us best chance to win. 

The way we make adjustments in the 2nd half to shut down the other teams since Pac 12 play started, yes even Stanford, makes me confident we can do the same to the Utes. 

If we just don't shoot ourselves in the foot in a tough place to play and the tremendous amount of pressure, we'll be fine especially if we don't have to beat the refs too.

GO DUCKS kick ass and take names!

Great post Mike.

The Saturday Down South boys have been saying for some time that UGA will have to play Danielson to beat Bama. I don't see it. Bama simply cannot run the ball and the Tide will not be able to run against the UGA D.  The 17 points that TN scored on Saturday is the most the UGA D has surrendered this season. I think Bama is over ranked at 2? 

It has been a fascinating season. More reliance on solid D than in recent years. On Saturday the Baylor D shut down the OK O. OK ST is winning with D and not with Gundy's usual O. Ole Miss did a great job holding down the A+M O on Saturday.

The Pirate is still throwing it around. Heck of a comeback at Auburn. And MS ST is also playing good D.

This Saturday if Oregon runs the ball like it did at UW and vs WAZZU it will win in SLC. It was on the road for the Utes but OR ST stayed with the run game and defeated Utah in Corvallis. Both Baylor and San Diego State bottled up the Utah O.

On 11/15/2021 at 8:39 AM, Mike West said:

Now I imagine Morehead will install plenty of....

.....something new. 

I think that both coordinators have been hampered by injury experience and as a result limited some of what they call. 

I’m sensing greater flexibility on defense and hoping the O has a few unseen tricks up its sleeve. Each week I see improvement. 

AB is the guy, for better or worse, fair or unfair, that will carry the biggest load of responsibility. Comes with the position. 

If the Ducks make the playoff or more the ESPN AB story line will be something. 

• Thumbs Up 2

All 3 phases of this Duck team are improving. It's a plus it is happening in the stretch run.......

One thing is certain whether the invitational committee jumps tOSU over the Ducks this week or next... We all know the Ducks must win out and win strong. 

When they do win out we may need a Cincinnati loss or Georgia win over Bama to get in.

We control nothing but the next 60 minute game against Utah.

Go Ducks....,Beat them Utes. 1-0

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't think about being 9-1 and #3 in the nation.

Think about the fact that the Ducks are standing at the foot of Mt. Everest and about to take the first step . . .

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/15/2021 at 12:41 PM, toketeeman said:

Don't think about being 9-1 and #3 in the nation.

Think about the fact that the Ducks are standing at the foot of Mt. Everest and about to take the first step . . .

The only record that matters to me is the score... Post a 42-14 victory.

Starts with celebrating a statement victory instead of a routine play. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike West great statement.

Statement Victory against the Utes. Shut the talking heads up.

I think it's coming together for this team. If they get jumped by tOSU this week it may really motivate them to a higher performance level.

On 11/15/2021 at 11:05 AM, Jon Joseph said:

This Saturday if Oregon runs the ball like it did at UW and vs WAZZU it will win in SLC. It was on the road for the Utes but OR ST stayed with the run game and defeated Utah in Corvallis. Both Baylor and San Diego State bottled up the Utah O.

I do think Oregon's offense and defense match up pretty good against Utah. Utah has liked to be the physical team and bully teams at the line of scrimmage and if they can't do that then it starts to go poorly for them. Utah wants to run the ball first and if Oregon can shut down that run game then they will be looking at long third downs, which in truth hasn't been an Oregon strong point, but still much rather have long third downs than short ones. 

I also expect Cardwell to make a bigger impact this game than against WSU. He had some very nice runs, he also had  a couple runs that were for a whole lot of nothing but he is improving quickly. He is a bigger back than Dye and that could pay dividends. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1