Charles Fischer

Washington WILL Attract the BEST Head Coach Candidates

Oh look...one of them is coming by for an interview!

giphy.gif

• Haha 10

Mr. FishDuck

Either of these would be good candidates

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha 1

So many jobs open including some biggies. 

Will Sark last more than a year at Texas? Dan Mullen at Florida is on mighty thin ice. 

Will USC be able to attract a big name guy? 

Guys UW has built in advantages.

#1 large home town and state talent pool

#2 history, alumni and fanbase

#3 money, facilities and stadium

#4 urban settings

Jonathan Smith may be the best fit, if they can get him to leave the Beavs...

As Evidenced by the recent string of prolific hires and championships won. 

Washington, where every husky pup thinks the W means winner, before ever winning a game. Participation trophy’s for everyone, yeah.  

This Hire will likely be a comedy. The USC job will lure the better candidates and at this point the WSU job looks better. Then again somebody might like rainy days on lake prowess. 

• Haha 2

JS at UW would likely present problems for our Ducks in time. He's a loyal Beaver for sure, but one of the suitors may make the offer too good for him to turn down.

On 11/15/2021 at 1:26 PM, Duck 1972 said:

#4 urban settings

All true.  But they say that the only reason for our success is Uncle Phil.  (While ignoring one of the largest concentration of billionaires anywhere)

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Given the history Jonathan Smith has with Corvallis and the Beavers, and the chance that OSU took in hiring him which he appreciates from the bottom of his heart, I'd be really surprised to see him go to Washington. That said, I was shocked when Mike Riley went to Nebraska. Obviously, money talks.

Washington is superior to Oregon State in every single category as far as money, ability to attract recruits, and resources go; by A LOT! Not that he's not highly paid at Oregon State compared to most people, but he could make the kind of money at Washington that would set he and his family up for life. For example, Lake will get a 9 million dollar "see ya, wouldn't want to be ya" severance payment.

There is an opportunity to experience greatness at Washington, and much sooner, than can ever reasonably be expected any time soon at Oregon State. There is also the difference of raising a young family in Seattle vs Corvallis. Is Smith bright lights and big city, or a down home and small town kind of guy?

Compelling stuff, to say the least.

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 2

I am sure they will be lining up for the chance!

5uaojt.jpg

• Haha 5

On 11/15/2021 at 1:26 PM, Duck 1972 said:

#4 urban settings

#1 Yes and ? re state talent pool, although better the Oregon

#2 ANCIENT history

#3 show me the $$$

#4 urban JUNGLE last couple of years. 

On 11/15/2021 at 2:26 PM, Duck 1972 said:

#4 urban settings

1. is absolutely irrelevant, Oklahoma, Alabama and Clemson are all much bigger teams in much smaller towns. As for in state talent, sure UW has more than Oregon, but it still pales in comparison to CA, TX, FL and the rest of the south. You need to remember that this is more about competing with teams that are currently in coaching searches.

2. I mean what is their recent history, nobody cares about 2 half championships from 3 decades ago. you have to go back to 1965 for them to have a winning record against oregon. 

They do have a good sized alumni and fanbase I'll give them that.

3. does money matter if you don't spend it. Peterson wasn't even making a base salary of 5m in his time at UW. the department has dropped UW's salary pool every year since Peterson left. 

4. I'm not exactly sure why this matters but okay

Lets look at some key disadvantages that UW has.

1. Roster, UW isn't losing games purely due to inadequacies at coaching. The front 6(they run a 2-4) for UW is bad. their scheme isn't necessarily a bad scheme you just need good space eaters(vita vea) that hasn't been recruited in 2-4 years. They have ILB is bare, OLB is purely hilarious. The only defensive strength is CB and if Gordon and Mcduffie are gone I am not sure that will be a strength next year. 

AS for their offense, Scheme is probably the biggest issue but that doesn't change the fact that they have major gaps at WR and RB and Otten is basically being schemed out and will be gone this year as well. Their oline is pathetic and they aren't going to be improving their either.

The last point of this is that who ever gets hired will inevitably be unable to fix  the current recruiting class so they will start even further behind and they will always have to compete with Oregon as long as Cristobal is there.

2. Athletic Department, The UW department is the biggest joke possible, between them trying to push more allegations against Lake(no see that he pushed a player before ever being hired at UW. Then you add in that Jen cohen is the AD, she has not hired a decent coach at UW to date and has worked at UW for 23 years. She has no contacts outside of the pac 12. 

3. they have no clear advantage in NIL. Heck about a week ago they had a player sign through their montlakes futures program with VOF space and the VOF space press release called them the UW hokies... I imagine for most players a mid sized community with car dealerships and local companies willing to spend money will make up the vast majority of the money made through NIL. some of the big names like Thibs will get really large deals.

as a final note, Currently UW is third? in the coaching carousel behind USC, LSU, and probably TCU they will also have to compete with Florida and maybe Miami. If you are succeeding G5 coach you don't want the mess of UW and most of the good p5 coaches have no reason to move to UW either. 

• Thumbs Up 3

The urban setting is valuable to draw minorities to campus

If JM went up there that fixes the O scheme.

Your right about the defense but was that coaches or players. Gregory is not that highly thought of.

I saw on 247 sports where the Uskies had 3rd most talent in the Pac.

I hate the Damn dawgs as much as anyone but if administration gets fixed watch out. IMHO.

The biggest advantage Washington sometimes possesses is an institutional willingness to cheat.  From James to Neuheisel, the only time the Huskies enjoyed success was when they were cheating up a storm.

On 11/15/2021 at 2:57 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I hate the Damn dawgs as much as anyone but if administration gets fixed watch out. IMHO.

I agree, Washington ain't Texas, currently coached by Sark, who left UW, to go to USC...but that's another post.

Washington  should be a perennial winner, "You can't recruit to Seattle"  doesn't work, and they really can't even keep the local kids. Don James, before he had to leave got the Dawgs their "Championship" but since then, not so much, Neuheisel, Tyrone, (O-12) Willingham? Petersen had it going for a while, but when he saw that Oregon was back on track, said, "I'm outta here!" and left them Lake.

n a rare move by anyone associated with UW, AD Cohen takes the blame for hiring Lake. The odds are in her favor that she won't do worse with this hire, but UW is low on the list of openings and Cohen is going to have to take a chance.

Even Ted Lasso can’t imagine taking the Husky job.

8E78F74E-7E34-451A-B8D9-ED6E5D7FFA26.jpeg

• Haha 2

Smith will stay in Corvallis. They are expanding the stadium and he has things going in the right direction. He will probably leave some day, but not yet.

Seattle, like Portland is losing its attractiveness due to poor leadership. What family would want to move there?

UW will have to get a G5 coach to move up. Maybe the coach of Montana! 

I think Moorhead would take the job.

I agree if the dawgs get a decent coach they should be preseason Pac-12 champs again, maybe even predicted to go 12-0. The preseason isn't lost if they can just nail this coach thing, again.

5ub7vp.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ouch

Here's how Washington will turn things around

image.jpeg.0d35afd6ea856b6e71b76f8716983975.jpeg

Darrel, his brother Darrel, and his other brother Darrel!

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Larry, Darryl and Darryl!  That takes me back...made me laugh!

(Then I wondered..."how far back?" Those characters are from the show "Newhart" from 1982 to 1990--wow)

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/15/2021 at 4:27 PM, DanLduck said:

Smith will stay in Corvallis. They are expanding the stadium and he has things going in the right direction.

Why the debt-ridden, half-empty stadium, Beevurs are expanding their seating capacity is beyond me.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/15/2021 at 5:34 PM, UtahDuck said:

1. is absolutely irrelevant, Oklahoma, Alabama and Clemson are all much bigger teams in much smaller towns. As for in state talent, sure UW has more than Oregon, but it still pales in comparison to CA, TX, FL and the rest of the south. You need to remember that this is more about competing with teams that are currently in coaching searches.

2. I mean what is their recent history, nobody cares about 2 half championships from 3 decades ago. you have to go back to 1965 for them to have a winning record against oregon. 

They do have a good sized alumni and fanbase I'll give them that.

3. does money matter if you don't spend it. Peterson wasn't even making a base salary of 5m in his time at UW. the department has dropped UW's salary pool every year since Peterson left. 

4. I'm not exactly sure why this matters but okay

Lets look at some key disadvantages that UW has.

1. Roster, UW isn't losing games purely due to inadequacies at coaching. The front 6(they run a 2-4) for UW is bad. their scheme isn't necessarily a bad scheme you just need good space eaters(vita vea) that hasn't been recruited in 2-4 years. They have ILB is bare, OLB is purely hilarious. The only defensive strength is CB and if Gordon and Mcduffie are gone I am not sure that will be a strength next year. 

AS for their offense, Scheme is probably the biggest issue but that doesn't change the fact that they have major gaps at WR and RB and Otten is basically being schemed out and will be gone this year as well. Their oline is pathetic and they aren't going to be improving their either.

The last point of this is that who ever gets hired will inevitably be unable to fix  the current recruiting class so they will start even further behind and they will always have to compete with Oregon as long as Cristobal is there.

2. Athletic Department, The UW department is the biggest joke possible, between them trying to push more allegations against Lake(no see that he pushed a player before ever being hired at UW. Then you add in that Jen cohen is the AD, she has not hired a decent coach at UW to date and has worked at UW for 23 years. She has no contacts outside of the pac 12. 

3. they have no clear advantage in NIL. Heck about a week ago they had a player sign through their montlakes futures program with VOF space and the VOF space press release called them the UW hokies... I imagine for most players a mid sized community with car dealerships and local companies willing to spend money will make up the vast majority of the money made through NIL. some of the big names like Thibs will get really large deals.

as a final note, Currently UW is third? in the coaching carousel behind USC, LSU, and probably TCU they will also have to compete with Florida and maybe Miami. If you are succeeding G5 coach you don't want the mess of UW and most of the good p5 coaches have no reason to move to UW either. 

UW needs a new AD. Good coaches follow.

• Thumbs Up 2

Don’t forget Brian Harsin in all this. Washington might wait and see how well he is received at Auburn after this season. If he drops his next 2 games he will be on notice. Saturday’s game was a disaster and Auburn’s boosters have the 2nd worst reputation for meddling in the country. Only Texas is worse. I can say with a great deal of certainty that if he doesn’t beat Bama this year or next he will be gone. 

Im sayin Ed Orgeron

On 11/15/2021 at 4:45 PM, Notalot said:

JS at UW would likely present problems for our Ducks in time. He's a loyal Beaver for sure, but one of the suitors may make the offer too good for him to turn down.

JS is the lowest paid coach in the Pac-12 and one of the lowest paid P5 coaches in the country. OR ST defeats ASU Saturday and his stock will continue to rise. OR ST cannot pay JS what UW let alone a B1G or SEC school will be willing to pay to get him to leave Corvallis.

On 11/16/2021 at 9:49 AM, Jon Joseph said:

OR ST cannot pay JS what UW let alone a B1G or SEC school will be willing to pay to get him to leave Corvallis.

I think JS would like it at FLA.