Charles Fischer

WSU Strategy: Make Anthony Brown Run-Really?

I noticed in the pressers after the game how both Cristobal and Moorhead discussed the openings for running that Brown would have in this game. And considering all the explosion plays he has created with his feet--I thought that was an odd thing for the Cougars to do.

But when I looked at game film that much closer?  I was surprised at all the times that in a routine Inside Zone Read play--the "read-key" defender would choose to chase the running back and leave the backside "D" gap open for Brown to run through.  This is why you saw him run for a ton of 5-7 yard gains because--they were there and was what the defense offered. 

Early in the season I was lamenting how Oregon offensive linemen were not "Pinning and Pulling," but they are now and doing it with devastating effect.

BTW...it looks like Moorhead pulled out a play from the old Chip Kelly playbook of a decade ago in the last game, but I believe Coach Boles is going to cover it on Thursday, thus I don't want to spoil the fun for you.

For lunch?  How about, "Ground Chuck."

Dawson Jamarillo and TJ Bass_Craig Strobeck.jpg

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

The Oregon O on Saturday looked more like JM at Penn State with McSorley at QB than at any other time this season. 

At 230 lbs. Brown is a load to bring down. Especially the way in which the TEs are helping out in the run game. I just hope, with his injury history, that Brown can continue to carry the load?

I look for a run oriented drain the clock O in Salt Lake City. Control the ball and keep the Utah O off the field. 

• Thumbs Up 4

On 11/15/2021 at 11:09 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Especially the way in which the TEs are helping out in the run game

Jon...at times you are a good football analyst, as well as a superb commentator.  I have not seen blocking from freshman Tight Ends like this since....NEVER.  Something I will do an analysis on later...

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/15/2021 at 2:12 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Jon...at times you are a good football analyst, as well as a superb commentator.  I have not seen blocking from freshman Tight Ends like this since....NEVER.  Something I will do an analysis on later...

Thank you. On this board I am far down the list as an analyst. Love the analytical takes from you Charles, Coach Boles, Mike West and many others. A fantastic forum.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 11:25 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Thank you. On this board I am far down the list as an analyst. Love the analytical takes from you Charles, Coach Boles, Mike West and many others. A fantastic forum.

Oh there are several others...

Josh, Darren, "30", to name a few.

And the comments were even better when we didn't agree.

This site is unique because the opinions are supported by so much tactical analysis.  

Why do you think the site was ahead of the herd ( recognizing Cristobal wasn't going to win a title "fighting in a phone booth").  

And you my friend have the best pulse on what our beloved Ducks would face in a playoff scenario.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2