FishDuck Article

Why Oregon Has the Edge Over Utah

The good news is the Oregon Ducks are three wins away from making their first trip to the College Football Playoff since 2014. The bad news is they’ll likely have to beat their biggest challenger for the conference crown — Utah — two times in three weeks. The Utes are one of the hottest teams in college football, winning six ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

WE RUN THE BALL DOWN PEOPLE'S THROATS

• Like 1

Joshua thanks for taking the time to present your analysis. MC and his staff, most likely, have been preparing, scheming and practicing to exploit the very weaknesses you pointed out.

The environment will be hostile. The Utah fans energize those players. The Ducks offense will need to sustain multiple 6 to 8 minute drives and score touchdowns. Take the air out of the ball and the crowd. 6 touchdowns should be the minimum goal.

This D can and should control the line of scrimmage. Force Rising into scrambling throws. KT and safety blitzes will have Rising hearing footsteps. Don't let him set his feet and pound him often like DTR in the UCLA game. That may pay dividends latet on in the P12 title game.

Eliminate the bone head penalties, turnovers and don't get behind the chains. Utah is well coached, they will make you pay.

The game plan, on both sides of the ball will be difficult for Utah to handle. Oregon has better players,, too. Just as Joshua aptly explained..

Go Ducks.  Beat Utah. 1-0 this week.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Good read Josh.

This is the game they have been preparing all year for. 

Run the ball.

No turnovers.

But most of all...

DON'T LEAVE IT UP TO THE PAC 12 REFS!!!!! 😀

• Thumbs Up 4

Wow, I haven't felt this good about a game we are favored to lose in a long time. Great writing, and support statistics to substantiate your take.

I look forward to your hypothesis coming true, twice, Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

AND set the edge!

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/17/2021 at 7:19 AM, Steven A said:

Jon Wilner likes the Ducks in this "won".

This is good news. Over the years Wilner has called them as he sees them. He predicted the ASU debacle, and in his analysis, cites many of the same things as did Joshua. Unfortunately, he also calls the Sun Devils to scorch the Beavers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Joshua, I like your style and attitude. I like our DUCKS Saturday as well. The game will be played at 4,200 foot elevation with game time temps in the high to mid 40's. These young men are in the prime condition of their life and the elevation will not slow them. No Mycah to throw to? No problem. Utah has not seen a defense like ours. 

BTW I watched the 49'rs Monday night and the difference in TV picture quality from our game Saturday was like night and day. ABC has this game and we should have a top quality picture. GO DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/17/2021 at 7:19 AM, Steven A said:

Not sure if this is subscription content, but Jon Wilner likes the Ducks in this "won".

Pac-12 picks: Oregon beats Utah and we have three reasons why (mercurynews.com)

Thank you Steven A. as that is a GREAT article!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I was just reading that Oregon is once again, not favored to win. ranked 3 in the country and not favored to win, seems to be their lot this year, and yet, they continue to win. Always makes me chuckle when just about every sports reporter that covers college football all root for Oregon to lose. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Joshua, great take.

John Wilner, as  noted above, also believes the Ducks has the superior run game and the superior run D. He also notes that surprisingly for Utah, the Utes special teams in 2021 are average at best. Have to give Whittingham props for using the portal to bring in a quality QB and RBs. 

Rumor has it that Whit will probably retire at the end of this season? If true, more HC chaos for the Pac-12. The HC confusion does not help with recruiting. Only 2 Pac-12 teams, Oregon and Stanford are ranked in the top 25. Terrible recruiting is one of if not the main reason for the conference being so bad OOC.

Notre Dame trips to Stanford for the Irish 12th and final regular season game. ND a dark horse for the PO but definitely a contender for a NY6 bowl will likely blow out the Cardinal. This will not help Oregon's PO chances. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/17/2021 at 8:35 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Cardinal. This will not help Oregon's PO chances. 

Stanford's sole existence seems to be messing up Oregon's PO chances.

• Haha 1

Outstanding article Joshua, because you back your contentions up with facts to come to a reasonable conclusion.  You've helped my blood pressure already!

Gaps Filled in Pac 12 Championship_Tom Corno.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/17/2021 at 11:42 AM, 30Duck said:

Stanford's sole existence seems to be messing up Oregon's PO chances.

The Cardinal is Puddles nemesis, no doubt.

Great analysis Joshua!

I concur.

On 11/17/2021 at 8:54 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Joshua thanks for taking the time to present your analysis. MC and his staff, most likely, have been preparing, scheming and practicing to exploit the very weaknesses you pointed out.

The environment will be hostile. The Utah fans energize those players. The Ducks offense will need to sustain multiple 6 to 8 minute drives and score touchdowns. Take the air out of the ball and the crowd. 6 touchdowns should be the minimum goal.

This D can and should control the line of scrimmage. Force Rising into scrambling throws. KT and safety blitzes will have Rising hearing footsteps. Don't let him set his feet and pound him often like DTR in the UCLA game. That may pay dividends latet on in the P12 title game.

Eliminate the bone head penalties, turnovers and don't get behind the chains. Utah is well coached, they will make you pay.

The game plan, on both sides of the ball will be difficult for Utah to handle. Oregon has better players,, too. Just as Joshua aptly explained..

Go Ducks.  Beat Utah. 1-0 this week.

I second eliminating the bonehead penalties!! We can't beat ourselves in any way shape or form, they're too well coached as you stated.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/17/2021 at 9:30 AM, Quackanadian said:

Good read Josh.

This is the game they have been preparing all year for. 

Run the ball.

No turnovers.

But most of all...

DON'T LEAVE IT UP TO THE PAC 12 REFS!!!!! 😀

I couldn't agree more! Let's make it decisive enough that the refs are a non-factor 😉

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/17/2021 at 9:48 AM, Haywarduck said:

Wow, I haven't felt this good about a game we are favored to lose in a long time. Great writing, and support statistics to substantiate your take.

I look forward to your hypothesis coming true, twice, Go Ducks!

I feel surprisingly confident about this game too, and it kind of concerns me, haha. Thanks, Hayward. Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/17/2021 at 11:01 AM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

Joshua, I like your style and attitude. I like our DUCKS Saturday as well. The game will be played at 4,200 foot elevation with game time temps in the high to mid 40's. These young men are in the prime condition of their life and the elevation will not slow them. No Mycah to throw to? No problem. Utah has not seen a defense like ours. 

BTW I watched the 49'rs Monday night and the difference in TV picture quality from our game Saturday was like night and day. ABC has this game and we should have a top quality picture. GO DUCKS!

I definitely did forget about the elevation. Hopefully we arrive in SLC with plenty of time to adapt to the environment.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/17/2021 at 11:35 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Thanks Joshua, great take.

John Wilner, as  noted above, also believes the Ducks has the superior run game and the superior run D. He also notes that surprisingly for Utah, the Utes special teams in 2021 are average at best. Have to give Whittingham props for using the portal to bring in a quality QB and RBs. 

Rumor has it that Whit will probably retire at the end of this season? If true, more HC chaos for the Pac-12. The HC confusion does not help with recruiting. Only 2 Pac-12 teams, Oregon and Stanford are ranked in the top 25. Terrible recruiting is one of if not the main reason for the conference being so bad OOC.

Notre Dame trips to Stanford for the Irish 12th and final regular season game. ND a dark horse for the PO but definitely a contender for a NY6 bowl will likely blow out the Cardinal. This will not help Oregon's PO chances. 

Jon, that's a huge point you bring up about their special teams. That's one of the reasons they're usually so hard to beat; they just are so sound in every aspect that you have to be on your A-game 24/7. Thankfully their special teams isn't nearly as good as it usually is, as you stated.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/17/2021 at 11:51 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Outstanding article Joshua, because you back your contentions up with facts to come to a reasonable conclusion.  You've helped my blood pressure already!

Gaps Filled in Pac 12 Championship_Tom Corno.jpg

Glad to hear yours is improving; mine won't until the clock hits zero and we're on top XD

• Haha 1

Already survived a '9AM KO' and won for the first time ever vs Ohio State and handed Ryan Day his 1st home loss.

Piece of cake!

• Thumbs Up 1

I was really nervous before the Cal and UW games.  But have the same feeling I had before tOSU game---calm confidence in the Ducks.  

There is a very high probability that Whittingham and the Utes will stack the box after watching what happened the past couple weeks to Duck opponents. 

If they pull their safeties up tight enough it will get a lot tougher to run it against them then it has been the last couple weeks. 

I sure hope Joe is thinking about this high potential and sets up a plan b air scheme similar to the UCLA game.

My gut says you have underestimated Whittingham and the Utes D Joshua. He will be making the necessary adjustments to stuff the run. I look for us to come out and get stoned a few times on the first few possessions of the game. After that, passing on 1st and 2nd down will be called for.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/17/2021 at 8:00 PM, DuckHeart said:

I was really nervous before the Cal and UW games.  But have the same feeling I had before tOSU game---calm confidence in the Ducks.  

Me also. Wondering if having new punt returner and Freshman S McGee will impact the game either positively or negatively?