Duck 1972

No Determination about ANYTHING from this Year?

I don't know if u can make a statement about developing players in this last year due to covid and the lack of time spent being able to practice especially since the ducks were so young.

30 minutes ago, Duck 1972 said:

I don't know if u can make a statement

Very true. This season is all about evaluation, not definitive conclusions. 

You know...I've been thinking about that a lot. Yes, your point is valid, but after six games and all those practices...I really think Oregon should have played better in the Bowl game.  Especially with what happened in the Coliseum!

You are new, and please keep posting.  Welcome!

Offensive Line at Oregon_Eugene Johnson.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

How much did not having Verdel or an inside runner like him hurt us in the bowl game it seems Iowa State was able to maximize that to their advantage and pass rush all game

21 minutes ago, Duck 1972 said:

How much did not having Verdell or an inside runner like him hurt us in the bowl game it seems Iowa State was able to maximize that to their advantage and pass rush all game

Certainly that is a great point, but Oregon was a mess in many areas.  (and we do encourage punctuation here to make it easier reading for the community-thanks)

Mr. FishDuck

50 minutes ago, Duck 1972 said:

How much did not having Verdel or an inside runner like him hurt us in the bowl game it seems Iowa State was able to maximize that to their advantage and pass rush all game

The real thing that I feel was missed was a lack of Verdell's blocking ability. He is actually a pretty good blocker.

Dye just doesn't block with the same power as Verdell and CHL seems to miss blocks quite often.

If you ask me why Dollars hasn't reached the field as much this year it is probably from two things... one he hasn't shown blocking ability in practice and also he has quite a few dropped passes when motioning out of the backfield.

14 minutes ago, David Marsh said:

If you ask me why Dollars hasn't reached the field as much this year it is probably from two things.

Darrian Felix was a superb runner who scored against Auburn last year, but could not crack the line-up due to blocking, according to my source. David, I agree that is more than just running for a running back...

Auburn was tough_Melissa Macatee.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

How do you punish an opposing defensive line with a 178 lb. running back?

Cristobal has said over and over again that he wants to punish the opposing team. He has proven that he can recruit, however, he has not brought in the Royce Freemen type backs. It is truly a puzzle to me. Is he so wedded to the vaunted pistol attack that he hesitates to replace the running backs coach?

This remains one of the biggest questions for me!

27 minutes ago, Old Geezer said:

To you, to me, to this community.  I call it, "Mysteries of the Mind!"

Mr. FishDuck

One has to wonder if Oregon might be getting negative recruited by opposing coaches in regards to the pistol (i.e. "You don't want to play in the pistol", "The pistol won't develop you for the next level", etc., etc.)?

It hasn't even seemed like Oregon has been in the mix for many top RB prospects recently. I mean, it does want to run the ball.

I have read the last two recruiting cycles, the West Coast has been lean on RB prospects. 2022 is supposed to be better. Maybe a combination of factors?

People seem to forget, until right before Chip and his offense arrived (Stewart), even coach Campbell had a pretty dry run with high school RBs? Maybe 1996-2005?

It was mostly JCs (McCullough, Droughts, Morris), transfers (Ontario), and good fortune with guys thought to be brought in for other positions and converted (Whitehead). Not remembering many impact HS kids, not even upper level HS commits.

After such a great run of HS running backs, maybe it starts to be expected, when for most programs not Alabama/tOSU, it probably isn't quite such a lock. Not that I follow Wisconsin that closely, but it seemed like they didn't even have their usual dude there this year (maybe the Berger kid is next?).

5 hours ago, Old Geezer said:

How do you punish an opposing defensive line with a 178 lb. running back?

Cristobal has said over and over again that he wants to punish the opposing team. He has proven that he can recruit, however, he has not brought in the Royce Freemen type backs. It is truly a puzzle to me. Is he so wedded to the vaunted pistol attack that he hesitates to replace the running backs coach?

MC has obviously been working on a list of priorities. OL is #1. He then started recruiting defense, then receivers. All the while OL and now DL remain #1. It makes a little sense that RB was not first priority 3 years ago. It's not over yet. 

Youth is significant. So is experience. The Ducks often cannot beat the opposition in the trenches and lack size and speed at WR and RB. These things can and should change with each recruiting class. Speed kills and we’re not the fastest team anymore. Physics matters in football. Big and fast bests slow and short.