Steven A

Mel Tucker's new 10ys 95Mil deal

He has not accomplished as much at Michigan State as Cristobal has at Oregon, PAY attention, Mullens.

Crazy.

Absolutely crazy. All that based on a partial season?!?

Tsunami is right.

USC and UW better get a big checkbook.

The money being thrown around to unproven college coaches is just bonkers, I get he's having a great season but still. I wonder what the buyout is.

That's just nuts but then again the market is dictating the demand for HCs right now.  Is he worth it?  That remains to be seen but there's both pros and cons to that contract.  The pressure on him will be immense to keep MSU a top 5 team and CFP contender for most of those 10 years.  If he has consecutive underperforming years he might just get the boot.

School money plus Nike plus P Knight money equals Mario being well compensated. 

I'm at least 10% as good as he is... I'll do it for 9.5 million over 10 years!

Tuckers record as head coach

2-3

5-7

2-5

9-1 and bingo he is worth $95 million on what planet?

This is inflation for sure, LOL!   Had no idea MSU has such deep pockets.   Wow.   And everyone is right - he is not worth more money than Saban, that's for sure.   SMH...

Ladies and Gents, this payday came courtesy of the SEC; LSU to be exact. I think Fisher is serious about staying in College Station.

Candidate 2 for the Tigers? Mel Tucker. MSU could see this coming from a mile away and no doubt also heard from Mel's agent. Mel is a B1G guy and he knew what people would think if he abandoned another school within 2 years of arriving for more money.

It is insane, no doubt. But it is just further evidence that big time CFB is big time business. The Market for New Coaches is boiling, and without that many obvious replacement coaches in the pot. It is also further evidences that sooner rather than later,  CFB in all respects will be morph closer and closer to the NFL.

Expect the players to be allowed to form a union and to be paid to play and and not just by marketing their respective NIL. Having to 'play school' will go away or there will be Major in College Football that will be a walk through. Players will have access to the coaches 24/7, all year long. College stadiums and even the entirety of football operations will be leased by schools. Players who will be professionals will not be awarded scholarships and the football rosters will no longer count for T9 purposes. Liability in every respect will be assumed by the lessee. No more will a head football coach be the highest paid employee in a given state of our nation.

Somewhere around 32 to 40 schools are likely to be involved. Most likely a HS draft will replace recruiting. 

The beginning of the end?

Don't touch my big payday!

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

I guess he made the right decision when he bailed on Colorado!

It's not going to be a 95 M deal, but Arizona has the No. 11 defense in the Pac-12!

After Helfrich, there was a rumor that Knight stated he would be willing to pay $10 million a year. 

It seems to me that if the head coach is paid significantly higher than the assistants, then it might be tough to retain good assistants due to the gap in pay vs the work/hours they all put in. 

I would rather have a cohesive coaching group paid more overall to acquire and retain the best of the best than to pay one person more while the others get enticed to leave for another gig.

On 11/19/2021 at 11:27 AM, 30Duck said:

It's not going to be a 95 M deal, but Arizona has the No. 11 defense in the Pac-12!

Check out the improvement in the Michigan D since Harbaugh canned Brown. 

I wonder if the investors in Mel Tucker are wondering if they just purchased a meme stock being down 28-0 after just over 15 minutes of play vs Ohio State?

• Haha 3

Earning his money with an arse handed in the shoe today.

• Haha 2

On 11/19/2021 at 9:56 AM, nw777b said:

It seems to me that if the head coach is paid significantly higher than the assistants, then it might be tough to retain good assistants due to the gap in pay vs the work/hours they all put in. 

I would rather have a cohesive coaching group paid more overall to acquire and retain the best of the best than to pay one person more while the others get enticed to leave for another gig.

Cristobal kinda did that... His initial contract wasn't that big but he and his assistants do have very highly incentivized contracts. 

For a lot of programs head coaches do have to choose to a degree how much they want to be paid and how much they have left over for the assistances. The super too programs don't really have this problem but the rest tend to. 

It also leads to the head coach getting poached for more money and a better job when they prove themselves. 

• Thumbs Up 1

LOL

49 to zip

Edited by 1Ducker1

Question I have is how much Mario is getting from sources other than his school paycheck.  That extra money is not public as far as I know. 

• Thumbs Up 1