Wobbit

Think Like the Opposing Defense!

Oregon has struggled with third downs, which means they cannot sustain drives.  On thing I've noticed is poor play selection on second down.  Running the ball on second and long essentially commits your offense to having to convert third downs.  So if first down nets NO YARDS or just a couple of yards, commit to throwing on second down.  And throw the ball across the first down line.  I hate when the play call on third down requires that the receiver make yards after the catch in order to keep a drive alive.  The consequences are too great.

Well, we started the year with great third down conversions and then hit a skid..  You make great points and wish to invite you to post more often!

Alex Mirabal and O Line_Tom Corno.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

23 minutes ago, Wobbit said:

I hate when the play call on third down requires that the receiver make yards after the catch in order to keep a drive alive.  The consequences are too great.

When it is something like 3rd and really long I tend to feel the same way. Though often these little passes can make the yards needed as the buffer provided by the opposing team's defense is such to prevent a first down and one missed tackle on the yards after catch would result in a first down. Often these passes are thrown to as the "hot route" where everything else is covered and the qb just needs to get the ball out of their hands.

This will be a VERY important spring for Oregon... but it will be just as important for all teams in reality... as it will be a major opportunity to install the offense properly and run the offense hopefully at full speed. I feel we never saw this offense working at full speed for the duration of the year.