30Duck

Why did Mycah Pittman Leave Now?

What pushed Pittman to leave while his team is facing its most important games of the season?

Analyzing why Mycah  Pittman is deciding to leave the Oregon Ducks Program

Ducks wire Zachary Neel

image.jpeg.467a238e28f32f5a5d4c132304089b4a.jpeg

He wants to hang out with Odell?

• Haha 1

Not sure Pittman chose to leave the team, other than in response to a disciplinary action.

Being passionate about football is great, except when expressing your personal frustration with other players and coaches.  That should be done calmly, if at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hope this is not the beginning of things to come?

4 and 5 star players are used to touching that ball.  Being involved, being the star, its in their DNA.

It takes a QB, with all the tools, to allow the entire play book to be opened wide. 

It takes a very unselfish player to work this hard, for months, to get no touches. Team first and the win is the goal.

Not saying MP is selfish. I simply admire those talented players making personal sacrifices for the team. For the win.

MP just couldn't stay in that role. Great success for him and a blessed future.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

All the above responses make sense. What is odd to me is he has two years of elgibility left and that is not going to change if he sticks around for two more games. This is all about me and zero about team. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I think the question may be "why not"? Not that I agree with him as it feels like abandonment and quitting, but I am sure he could see the writing on the wall after three seasons. There just aren't any stats to be had at UofO for wide receivers any longer under this offensive scheme. Heck there aren't a lot of eye popping stats for any offensive player to be had.  When the qb is running 17 times a game it pretty much tells you what the situation is.

The fact is that there haven't been good stats for wide receivers since Cristobal took over. Other than Dillon Mitchell in 2018 it's been pretty tough sledding. No one else has had anywhere near 1000 yards receiving (or been on pace for it i.e. 2020 season). 

It's crazy, because for being a 9-1 team and ranked #3 in the country our stats on both sides of the ball are pretty poor and middling. We win as a team and we win by brute force on the offensive line of scrimmage and to some extent with the defensive front 7. 

Under Coach Mario........"this is the way".

Edited by C J
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 11/18/2021 at 8:04 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Hope this is not the beginning of things to come?

I suspect it is. Others will wait till after the season though, which in my opinion is what Mycah should have done. He just couldn't contain his emotions or anger about the situation I guess. His decision is the real life tangible result of what so many of us here on FishDuck have complained about all season......actually for four seasons now.

I don't blame him one bit, but he should have waited. The exodus of top receiver talent will begin in earnest come late January.

Edited by C J
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/18/2021 at 8:04 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

4 and 5 star players are used to touching that ball.  Being involved, being the star, its in their DNA.

It takes a QB, with all the tools, to allow the entire play book to be opened wide. 

It takes a very unselfish player to work this hard, for months, to get no touches. Team first and the win is the goal.

This is what the 5 stars at Alabama, Oh. St. UGA. deal with season after season, Sometimes the 5's don't get on the field or touch the ball like they were used to in high school. They adjust, understand where they are and what the team is trying to accomplish. In this particular case, AB was not going to be airing it out to the WR's, it just wasn't going to happen, But, the Ducks are 9-1

• Thumbs Up 1

Mario is obviously not going to make Oregon a destination for 5 star wide outs. I am hopeful that this changes next year but I doubt it. I think we will see more WRs exit the program at the end of the season.

• Thumbs Up 3

Look at the teams that beat us by passing. There's really only a couple WR's and maybe a TE that get passes thrown their way. Oregon is

loaded at WR's and TE's seem stacked as well. You can't please everyone all the time. In this offense there just simply isn't a need for 5-6

super star WR's. 

It is weird that MP's leaving this early and I think our punt returns could suffer. He was pretty solid in that regard.

I also wonder if his downfield blocking wasn't good enough. Like Chip used to say, "If you can't block you don't get the rock". Well

he probably didn't say it exactly like that but similar. Maybe that's part of the reason he's not seeing time on the field. 

Edited by GODUCKS15

Great comments on this topic. Thanks.....

I wonder how different the receiver out look would be if AB had connected on a number of those long. passes. The kind where the receivers beat the defender deep and should have been TD's

As I have reviewed all this seasons games those plays were there multiple times. Every game. The receiver did his part but the ball was nowhere to connect 

8 or 10 long pass plays or touchdowns this season maybe tell a different story. 

Oh well, shouda, coulda, woulda..

On 11/18/2021 at 8:20 AM, C J said:

Under Coach Mario........"this is the way".

Even before MC Oregon wasn't exactly churning out 1k yard receivers. The last three receivers to have 1k yard seasons are Dillon Mitchell 2018, Byron Marshall 2014, and Josh Huff in 2013. 

This year receiving yards are down... but Oregon doesn't have a recent track record of big time receivers.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Agree that some receivers will leave.  Others will stay or join based on their understanding of the opportunity.

Just not sure that Mycah had much of a choice in the timing.  If he let his frustrations be known during Sunday grading, he may have been cut from the program.

I think his post being "disrespected" had the most to do with it. When MC heard of that it was over, as should be.

I misread the young man. We don't need that kind of player who can't see the big picture disrupting the team. FB is a "team" sport after all. At least it used to be.

As far as this happening to the DUCKS it's also going on on other teams.

So be it, next man up!

Edited by Duck 1972
  • Thumbs Up 1

I admit I am not very good at stats.  But IMHO I believe this year is somewhat an outlier in the passing game for our wide receiver stats, and I also believe it’s because MC committed to AB this year with a ground and pound strategy.

Our young receivers and upcoming stud QB’s have an awesome future ahead of them, and I think we will see that evolve.

In looking over all the passing stats for Oregon back through 2009, I don’t see an earth-shattering contrast in our historical passing attack numbers to necessarily warrant painting MC’s ground and pound this year as being something he is blindingly philosophically “locked into” for eternity.

With what the coaches observed, and determined on QB status coming into this year, it could be they felt that, as Jimmy Durante used to say:  “It’s da conditions dat prevail”!

And with what they saw, and decided early, it appeared that AB’s skills gave us the best chance to win this year.

Interestingly, when we look at the passing stats from our incredible 2011 year, we are actually throwing a tad more passes per game this year than we did back then. OK, while we are nationally ranked at a piddling 109th this year, but in 2011, we weren’t blowing up the world either ranked at 73rd.

And more interestingly, the historic overall average of pass attempts per game is almost the same every year since 2009, around 33 to 28 per game.

http://www.cfbstats.com/

I seem to recall, in the foggy reaches of my weak mind, how excited and proud I have been throughout so many years of watching OBD what an awesome running game we have had, and all those legendary running backs we’ve marveled at.  Even now, it’s something to Dye for in my mind.

OK, yes, we do cringe at the lack of the long ball this year, and our concerns for our wide receivers.  (It drives me literally apoplectic, and I become profanely nastier than I usually am).

But AB and MC have this team in the hunt, so I am very proud of what they have produced for us this year. 

With who's in the wings,  I believe that we are going see a completely different offense next year. 

But then again.  If not,.....I’m going to.....

img GIF

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My fictional story is that he has emotional issues that have surfaced in games so they most likely manifested even more off the field. He has been given numerous "second" chances, but crossed some line. 

Or, he's an angel and thought the team would be better off without him at this crucial time of year. 

Whatever the story,  maybe he will be to another team what Juwan Johnson was to the Ducks team and fans.

Next man up.

Go Ducks!!

Well MP can always apply at WSU or UCLA for a wide out position and see where that gets him. Some catches yes, then watching the Bowl and PO games from his couch. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2021 at 9:50 AM, 81DuckAlum said:

Our young receivers and upcoming stud QB’s have an awesome future ahead of them, and I think we will see that evolve.

Thanks for all the stats and insight, 81.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mycah comes from a family of receivers.

His father and brother have both shown similar selfish traits over the years.

Since it was his family who first posted frustration with his usage.... I'd say Mycah was likely talked into believing he was disrespected.

Mario did the right thing. Flush the family, focus on this years team. Next years team will have its own issues. But, the Pittman's attitude will not be one of them.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

Mycah who, is all I have to say. Time to move onward and forward with math as I know it. You add through subtracting a negative, right?

5uodhg.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Two reasons.  Didn’t want to get hurt and wanted to get ahead of competition for spots with other teams. This is per his dad’s now deleted tweets.  
And this is my last post about Pittman. Time to move on. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 8:26 AM, C J said:

I suspect it is. Others will wait till after the season though, which in my opinion is what Mycah should have done. He just couldn't contain his emotions or anger about the situation I guess. His decision is the real life tangible result of what so many of us here on FishDuck have complained about all season......actually for four seasons now.

I don't blame him one bit, but he should have waited. The exodus of top receiver talent will begin in earnest come late January.

Interesting that this site brought up the subject before the WSU game.  One of the things I'm proud to be part of.  So many contributors here have the kind of vision to see trends well before other sites.

I hadn't given much thought to the subject until last week.  I'm hoping Morehead stays (I didn't it), but next year will be another opportunity to stretch the field-with another set of QBs capable of performing well.

As far as this year, Brown is going to be forced to make plays throwing the ball the rest of the year.  Let's hope he's "money" often enough to win games. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 1:36 PM, Haywarduck said:

Mycah who, is all I have to say. Time to move onward and forward with math as I know it. You add through subtracting a negative, right?

5uodhg.jpg

I was listening to Rick Neuweasel the other morning on ESPN radio. He admitted something that we all know, but is seldom talked about overtly. He said “The run-off game is strong among coaches”. He then went on to say how coaches have conversations with some of their players about how their services will not be needed in the future, but they will help them find a spot at a different school. This is how they make room for bigger signing classes. What I thought was most interesting is since the onset of the transfer portal, these players no longer get help from their former coach with finding another team, so it has become more difficult for a lot of the kids. Those are the ones who find themselves in the FCS or D2.

This may not have anything to do with MP, but if he’s not getting the ball much and there is new talent coming in then the writing is on the wall.

Guest KingT

Very few Ducks who've left have found success elsewhere. The grass isn't always greener. In his case I can see why he wanted to go despite being on a National contending team in one of the best year's since 2015/16. His online footprint is a high priority and without being targeted, he has no publicity and therefore no material to build out for his brand. So I get it. But football is a team game and unfortunately he's not separating among his own teammates. I definitely think he has tons of playmaking skill and ability, however.

But this year DW, JJ and Redd are getting most of the touches, outside of the TE/RBs. Ducks throw the ball this year about 25x a game or so presumably, so if you take out 5 throws to TE and 5-10 throws to RBs, then you have roughly 15 balls over 5-6 receivers, not a lot of options for a run first squad. But hey, would you rather be 8-1, ranked 3rd in the nation with a CFP chance, or would you rather spray the ball around the field with some flash, like WSU does. It looks like frustration got the best of him, but hope he does well wherever he goes.

On 11/18/2021 at 11:59 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I was listening to Rick Neuweasel the other morning on ESPN radio. He admitted something that we all know, but is seldom talked about overtly. He said “The run-off game is strong among coaches”. He then went on to say how coaches have conversations with some of their players about how their services will not be needed in the future, but they will help them find a spot at a different school. This is how they make room for bigger signing classes. What I thought was most interesting is since the onset of the transfer portal, these players no longer get help from their former coach with finding another team, so it has become more difficult for a lot of the kids. Those are the ones who find themselves in the FCS or D2.

This may not have anything to do with MP, but if he’s not getting the ball much and there is new talent coming in then the writing is on the wall.

Much like the used car market. The new car always feels good, smells good and you feel good about the reliability. With a used car it better be a great deal, because you know it comes with something you won't like, and may not find out until later.

Without a coach brokering a deal players are left with their inflated self worth to sell. What you think you are worth seldom equates to what another person thinks. 

I think the run-off game is really just, 'you would fit much better at X school, let me give them a call. We may have thought you were a great fit, and we will make sure you find a great home.' 

The transfer get none of that love and care. They just have to sell themselves and why their first choice didn't work out, with a skeptical buyer.

5up77t.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2021 at 1:36 PM, Confused said:

More will follow. 

It won't be an AB led offense next season,  It certainly won't be an "Air Raid" but Thompson or Butterfield are better suited for a more vertical offense than this season. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/18/2021 at 1:36 PM, Confused said:

He’s a receiver and we don’t need receivers with our offense.  I don’t blame him.  More will follow. 

I get the angst when you feel there was a bait and switch. Many fans are just now adjusting to the new Oregon offense. I just have a hard time seeing a kid leave when he is an important part of the team, the season is in crunch time, you become a distraction, and then walk away from it all.

Just like with slick, I get being interested in the FSU job. It was how he left. I also give a student athlete more understanding with the decision he made, best of luck!

• Thumbs Up 1

Gee, I don't know much about football, but I've been "thinkin'":  Why not teach AB (1) how to pass accurately over distance and (2) how to read his receivers? In other words, what in hell are the QBs doing in practice?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 8:26 AM, C J said:

The exodus of top receiver talent will begin in earnest come late January.

I have the same fear, but also hold out hope that they see that AB is gone and there should be much more passing with TT under center.   Again, fingers crossed.   We can't just run our way to a natty.

Edited by DuckFan93

Pittman wants a path to the NFL. The AB to MP connection just never materialized. MP wants to be “the guy”, but he isn’t. Not so sure the coaches, or players were going out of their way to “disrespect” him.

I guess disrespect in his case means that the ball isn’t thrown to him. He is a solid punt return guy, but we have had better. 

I will also say, maybe the last item, but I can't guarantee it, we haven't produced NFL talent at wide receiver in the recent past. The receivers have to know they will be trying to pave a new path, create something that isn't, hasn't been there. 

If they thought they were just getting in an NFL wideout pipeline, they didn't do their research. Maybe the Tight Ends have seen Ducks playing TE in the NFL, not receivers.  It is possible, but it will take a lot of work, and the schools where that is happening, it is a tough go for playing time.

My take is the other receivers see the talent behind AB and are willing to wait, most likely. The other scenario is they don't see the talent and we do see an exodus. I think the first scenario is what happens, stay tuned! 

Oregon players are graded on Sundays after games.  Players also meet with coaches to address expectations to meet standards during the next week.

Could the disrespect tweet Sunday night have anything to do with his Sunday grades or standards discussion?

• Thumbs Up 4

The Dye for this season has been cast and the winning script is focusing on a three headed monster running game that, at this point, features AB, Dye, and Cardwell. AB has, frankly, been spectacular running the ball, and has gotten noticeably better in the last 3 games. Too bad if you are a WR this year... so far.

My concern is that AB doesn't seem to have a natural sense of self preservation in his rock 'em, sock 'em running scheme. He never slides and he rarely tries to get out of bounds before taking a hit. He's a big, strong, athletic guy, but he is running on 2 surgically repaired knees. How long can he continue to take the punishment he is taking without getting hurt? 

I'm certainly holding my breath every time I see him take off while I reflect on what happened during the Dennis Dixon season when he got hurt. Has anyone else been reading about the Utah linebackers? They are scary dudes.

Should AB get hurt, then what? Suddenly talented, experienced WR are solid gold. Clearly, JoMo will be rethinking the whole offensive scheme on the fly with quarterbacks who haven't had quality game reps. In the meantime, I certainly hope coaches are in ABs ear regarding avoiding big hits if and when possible.

On 11/18/2021 at 3:35 PM, Duck1984 said:

Oregon players are graded on Sundays after games.  Players also meet with coaches to address expectations to meet standards during the next week.

Could the disrespect tweet Sunday night have anything to do with his Sunday grades or standards discussion?

Good one, wouldn't doubt it. The job of a great receiver isn't all glory and some just don't want to put in the work, or hear about the work needed.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/18/2021 at 8:41 PM, Confused said:

And Mario has the most boring offense I have ever seen at Oregon.

I can only assume you never sat in the stands for Rich Brooks or Mike Bellotti  games?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2021 at 7:46 PM, DurangoJim said:

I can only assume you never sat in the stands for Rich Brooks or Mike Bellotti  games?

@DurangoJimthe Brooks offense during my time in the early 80’s was run for little to no gain, incomplete pass or screen for little to no gain, quarterback draw stopped for loss, then punt.  Repeat until defensive takeaway, then downfield pass for score or long gain and field goal.

I suffered through many games with little to no defensive takeaways.  The Toilet Bowl of ‘83 was the worst even with lots of takeaways as few passes were caught and all field goal attempts missed.

Edited by Duck1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2021 at 2:33 PM, Confused said:

They are looking for NFL career.  They don’t care about beating Utah.  I’m referring to 4 and 5 star athletes.  It’s about $$$.   Would you stay at Oregon and get 1 pass every other game?   Not if your wanting to showcase for NFL

Confused may be confused a lot, but he is 100 percent right about this.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2021 at 10:08 PM, DUCKED said:

Confused may be confused a lot, but he is 100 percent right about this.

That may be true but we’ll see if MP stacks up for $$$ if and when a good team that throws picks him up and then, if then he makes the plays. I wish him well, either our O wasn’t the fit for him, or he isn’t that good. Maybe a bit of both.  But he left pouting, and I don’t respect pouters. 

In any case I’m done with commenting on him. He’s not a Duck. 

• Thanks 1

Next man up.

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2021 at 7:46 PM, DurangoJim said:

Try Dick Enright and Don Read, Jerry Frei's teams were actually fun to watch.

If Keith Jackson was covering the game on ABC, I was never bored. LOL

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/19/2021 at 9:58 AM, nw777b said:

If Keith Jackson was covering the game on ABC

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 8:26 AM, 30Duck said:

This is what the 5 stars at Alabama, Oh. St. UGA. deal with season after season, Sometimes the 5's don't get on the field or touch the ball like they were used to in high school. They adjust, understand where they are and what the team is trying to accomplish.

What troubles me about MP’s move is the shortsighted nature of it. New WRs not only have to make the team, they have to develop chemistry with a QB — their evolution is unique among players. That’s why his move doesn’t make sense. Assuming he wants to land at a D1 program, he must reestablish both those relationships. For me, that’s sad because I saw his body type and skill set stepping into the position next year vacated by JJ and JR.

We’ve a way to go yet to reach that built-in cultural understanding that seems to exist at other long time elite programs that you stay with it no matter what.  But, it’s situations just like this that move us towards that goal.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2021 at 11:22 PM, 81DuckAlum said:

908100027_ScreenShot11-19-21at12_59AM.PNG.9907df32d529430225d800f953346bfb.PNG

See Ya Goodbye GIF by P!NK

Good post 81DuckAlum. I had completely forgotten about this 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that took place in the Washington game. My guess is that it resulted in Pittman getting his ass chewed and suffering some other consequences that, added to all of his other frustrations, was the last straw for Pittman.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/19/2021 at 10:52 AM, latracey said:

Good post 81DuckAlum. I had completely forgotten about this 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that took place in the Washington game. My guess is that it resulted in Pittman getting his ass chewed and suffering some other consequences that, added to all of his other frustrations, was the last straw for Pittman.

and... that wasn't the first dumb penalty he had this year. He had a penalty against Cal (or Arizona but pretty sure Cal) for blocking a defender in the back that resulted in the drive stalling out badly when the drive would have otherwise resulted in points. I am sure there have been some other penalties that have been costly this year from Pittman as I feel his name has come up a few times. 

Hutson had his bad unsportsmanlike penalty against Arizona and then turned around and has been all the better for learning that lesson. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

I have been thanking people above who say they are done talking about it. Me too. He was our punt returner for 'sake, and was starting every game at the inside receiver, in line to be the same for next year. 

It had to be something else. Don't know? Don't care! Better he's gone. Enuf said. Go DUCKS Focus Next man up. Just win 1 and 0 

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2021 at 1:08 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Don't know? Don't care! 

Exactly. 

f62c9436-9952-43a6-bc1b-27e9d01610b7_text.gif

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2021 at 9:36 AM, Duck 1972 said:

I think his post being "disrespected" had the most to do with it. When MC heard of that it was over, as should be.

agreed. you just don’t air your dirty laundry on twitter like that. MC had no choice but to discipline MP.