FishDuck Article

Utah GameDay Thread: Is Pursuing the Playoffs a Crock?

Depending upon the outcome of today’s game–the discussion of this topic might be moot for this year, but it is really something for the fans and the Oregon Athletic Administration to seriously ponder in the offseason. But before we delve into that serious topic, don’t forget to also use this thread at the forum to discuss the game before it ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Mr. FishDuck, respectfully, while I get your point, I have a different take.  For me, the ESPN people have an impact through what they say on game day and elsewhere, and who they schedule to broadcast.  They do not have the final authority accorded the CFP.  Most important, they do not have any impact on the play of the game.

I doubt that Herbie and crew would rank OBD in the top six; certainly not at third.  But we’re there, control our fate, and I like our chances.  Our best football is yet to be played.

A more inclusive playoff will be better than the CFP.  And though I miss the certainty of meeting the Big-10 champ in the Rose Bowl every year, I do not long for a mythical national championship decided by pollsters.  Gradually football is getting to where basketball has been since 1939.  Maybe someday l’ll write you about my dream for the best of all college football worlds.

• Thumbs Up 2

You have to believe!

5uwedc.jpg

If we ran up the score on the teams we were supposed to beat we would be would be a shoe-in for the playoffs but our offense looked like hell for most the season.  It will be really difficult for a 1 loss Oregon to reach the playoffs with (hopefully) Cristobal’s former strategy.  Style points matter.

A crock is a nice way to put it. I also imagine the Committee holding the key over our OBD's , for a while they can grasp it, but at anytime the Committee will yank it away, "Silly Ducks, did you really think that you'd get an invitation?"

A Playoff which dismisses the Committee, and puts a premium on winning your conference will replace the dizziness of looking around to see who beat who, or lost to who, or could lose or beat next week, with the season long thrill of winning the conference and advancing to the Playoffs.

• Thumbs Up 2

I paraphrase a great man who once said "But wait; under ( insert any coaches name ) (insert and school outside of 'Bama & Clemson) has never won all the games they should, and frankly probably never will. Not just because of coaching, but because of human nature. " (This is also true of the pros minus the '72 Dolphins ((who if they had played the 9ers in Candlestick as opposed to 90/90 Miami wouldn't be able to claim it.))

So true of (insert very high percentage) all coaches, so appreciate the gem we have while we have him as it appears a conference CShip + will be reachable almost every year.

• Like 1

Let’s win the next three games and see what happens. If Utah is as good as Vegas thinks they are and we win out then I like our chances.

• Thumbs Up 2

Charles thank you for expressing what many on this forum feel. Find myself having to push the thought of a 12-1 Duck team being left out of the invitational, out of my aged mind.

The beauty contest/ratings conscious committee toys with the base human emotion of passion. Fans are passionate, crazy passionate. The committee toys with the emotion of millions. What a power rush it must be for those sanctimonious individuals.

Their are no rules or precedents to follow since they threw out the head to head benchmark. Imagine how Sparty fans feel.

All OBD's can do is win out and hope for more chaos. A Bama loss, a Cincinnati loss for example. Chew on this forum junkies: when Cincinnati plays SMU today it will be only the 3rd team they face with a winning record.

This will be the Ducks 5th game including the juggernaut that is tOSU. Their are no comparisons in the respective schedules.

But as mentioned so often, MC and the Ducks find a way to lose a game against a lesser opponent. It's the Achilles heel of Duck football. Regardless of all the circumstances surrounding the Stanford debacle, it's a big L. All the excuse the committee will need.

GO Ducks. Beat Utah, let's see how the committee treats a win as an underdog on the road....

Edited by HappyToBeADuck
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well said. The same thought occurred to me: we lose to Auburn and we're out; we win at OSU, and we are still out. However...

1. Oregon has reached the playoffs twice. It can be done. Perhaps the Ducks are no longer darlings of the talking heads, but that may not matter too much to the committee. 

2. The bigger problem is the nine-game conference schedule. If the committee will not adopt a strength of schedule measure that rewards this, the Pac-12 needs to change it. 

3. A secondary problem is officiating. Midwest fans complain that B1G officials "protect" Ohio State. I am not asking for "protection" for Oregon as they standard bearer for the Pac12, but I do think the league officials ought to do more to ensure that officials with a track record or bias or ineptitude do not derail the Pac12's leading contender. 

4. If Oregon wins out (a big if, since the Utes and Beavs are not pushovers), then Alabama loses but still goes to the playoff in place of Oregon, we have a legitmate complaint. I will give the committe the benefit of the doubt until this happens. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The 4 team playoff has been problematic from the beginning. Every year fans demand expansion and every year our wishes go wanting. There is zero justification for not going to at least an 8 team playoff. Fans often agree on who is #1 and possibly #2, but the differences between #4 and #5 and beyond are hard to discern. The only way to end the dispute is to play!

• Thumbs Up 1

Gameday guys “like” OBD today!

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes Charles, the CFP is a crock.  At best it is an Invitational Tournament where the invitations are determined by a ”neutral” group of people (who are heavily influenced by ESPN and other media sources) who chose four of the most qualified 6 or so candidates.

A true playoff would pit the conference 5 power winners (who all play 9 conference cases and 3 non conference) plus the three best records from the rest into an 8 team, single elimination playoff.

That would make playing for and winning each conference championship meaningful, while eliminating the need for a “playoff committee” to make or break the season for a few teams each year.

Crock is the correct word!

That said, Go Ducks!!!

Edited by PittDuck
Added a point

Grandpa Duck, I don't know if that's a curse or a blessing.

The talking heads have had to wipe egg (or duckies poo) off their heads a few times this year. Maybe they decided to play it safe?

One addendum to my previous statement. 

The "Pac12 after dark" phenomenon is not helping, either. 

Is seems absurd that a contending team is playing repeatedly at a time when most people in the United States are already in dreamland. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/20/2021 at 8:51 AM, Triphibius said:

Is seems absurd that a contending team is playing repeatedly at a time when most people in the United States are already in dreamland. 

With a 7:30 start--I agree.  But I've changed my mind on the 4:30 start and here is why; throughout the day--CFB fans in the east are watching their favorite team and those of their conference.  Then--there is nothing in the east on TV at 7:30 EST or 4:30 PST, thus we CAN be seen by millions in the 4:30 slot.

And Triphibius?  You have the single greatest posting name anywhere--so cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Very good take.

What we have on the field today is an Invitational and not a Playoff. If you want to watch a CFB playoff watch the football playoffs managed by the NCAA.

The BCS and this BCS x 2 serves 2 masters: The bowl games and Disney/ESPN; a corporation that owns the "Playoff"  lock, stock and barrel. The corporation also just happens to own the SEC and ACC Networks and will be taking over as the lead broadcaster for the SEC.

From a mile away the 'leaders' of the Pac-12 should have seen 'this' coming. Hansen threw the Rose Bowl into the BCS for trinkets. Scott, after seeing Oregon screwed over once by the BCS and SC numerous times, if he was paying attention, doubled down. Put the Rose Bowl in the BCS x 2 with no assurance that a Pac-12 team would compete in the Rose Bowl when it served as a playoff semi-final site. I know it is difficult for younger readers to believe but before the BCS the SEC was just another conference. The Rose Bowl was THE BOWL GAME!

Scott also piled on by signing a media deal that meant Pac-12 teams would be playing at night on the east coast, forming a media organization without an equity involved media partner. After failing to pick off the big B12 teams he desired, he signed on CU and Utah. What have these 2 schools done for the conference? Scott following the SEC-leader, broke the conference into unnecessary divisions, gave the CA schools a preferred schedule and stayed at 9 regularly scheduled conference games. The Ducks should be playing Portland State today at home and not be playing in Salt Lake City.

CFB is a big business. No big business escapes the hits that follow from bad management. This conference as is? How can it possibly close the gap with the B1G and the SEC? 1 extra P5 OOC game a year against an ACC or B!G team? This will not drop a significant amount of money to the bottom line and is senseless if the PO field remains at 4 teams. And why would the Pac-12 not be in favor of a 12 team PO with multiple media bidders in the mix?

However, if Ohio State finishes 12-1 and Oregon finishes 12-1, Oregon is in the final 4. Maybe ranked 4 not 3, but  in. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/20/2021 at 5:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

Depending upon the outcome of today’s game–the discussion of this topic might be moot for this year, but it is really something for the fans and the Oregon Athletic Administration to seriously ponder in the offseason. But before we delve into that serious topic, don’t forget to also use this thread at the forum to discuss the game before it ...

Read the full article here...

It is a crock. But it is The Crock on the table and lots of bread comes out of this crock.

Great take. But if the question. But if the question is only directed at Oregon, why shouldn't Oregon be looking to protect its own interests and not the interests of 'partners' who invest no where close to Oregon when it comes to athletics? 

The PO will go to 12 with all P5 and G5 champs in. Using the PO CT's week 3 rankings to establish the field, the B1G, 'New B12' and the SEC would all have 3 teams in the field. The Pac-12 1. 

All FBS conference champions should go to a playoff. You want to be in the playoff as an independent? Join a conference.

If you are big enough to be considered an FBS level team,  you deserve a shot. 

A true playoff allows teams time to gel and grow that may have struggled early.  For example,  QB Shroud at OSU is much more accurate today than when he played the Ducks. 

OSU sure looks like they deserve to be #2 today. Maybe #1.

Oregon? They aren't even projected to win today. Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! (Remember the win in the Shoe, fans).

But we know the CFP is about money. There is more activity and interest arguing about who we all "think" belongs in the top 4 ALL season, which generates $$$$. 

This also results in meaningless bowl games with empty stadiums.

Having a true head to head playoff determine a champion, just like almost every other sport at all levels do, may not generate the same revenue as the CFP. 

Synchronized swimming might also be the exception to having a playoff. 

I agree I think the Ducks are overrated, but if they win the Pac 12, they deserve a shot at the Natty.

Go Ducks!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/20/2021 at 9:24 AM, Jon Joseph said:

e BCS and this BCS x 2 serves 2 masters: The bowl games and Disney/ESPN; a corporation that owns the "Playoff"  lock, stock and barrel. The corporation also just happens to own the SEC and ACC Networks and will be taking over as the lead broadcaster for the SEC.

Well stated JJ.  So long as the mythical NC was decided by a vote, competition remained between conferences: you didn’t know who, but you knew where they’d be going. With the advent of the BCS morphed into BCS x 2 — a Wall Street dream come true — we now have combined conferences (SEC ACC) dueling not so much for championships as the emerging right to view western high school athletes as a ‘farm system’ feeding their newly minted franchise championship system.

Where does that leave the PAC 12?  We’ve always been isolated by geography.  Proximity in the east has always had a competitive advantage for them, but now with corporate greed involved, it has become a game changer with the NCAA becoming the big loser. Under the vote system we were just isolated on the west coast. Now, we might as well be somewhere in the Mariana Trench.

In time, corporate greed often is it’s own undoing, but for now ESPN/Disney is running the show. 

Where o where NCAA have you gone?

On 11/20/2021 at 8:16 AM, Grandpa Duck said:

Gameday guys “like” OBD today!

You realize, of course, that that is as much a curse as a blessing. 

The regular season is nearing its end. For the Ducks, “Just win, Baby”! Do that and let the chips fall (sic) where they may.

Don’t win - don’t qualify.

If we win out it will definitely be a real good opportunity to determine a clear answer to your question Charles.

The wheels are already turning to screw UofO, and I am pretty sure you all have heard and seen the campaign. I sure hope we can force them to show how biased this process is by winning the next three games. 

With Ohio State blowing MSU off the field today it is very likely they jump to #3 or possibly #2 actually.

On 11/20/2021 at 12:41 PM, C J said:

With Ohio State blowing MSU off the field today it is very likely they jump to #3 or possibly #2 actually.

Agreed, the Committee will show some integrity by jumping Ohio State to No. 2.

The only potential years that I remember had questionable final 4 was 2014 with tOSU sneaking in and maybe when Scott Frost had UCF 12-0 in 2017. 

The precedent has been there. You are a 12-1 solo conference champion and you are in the playoffs. 

All the computer metrics say the Ducks shouldn't be in the top 4, yet they have been put there every time by this committee this year.

tOSU vs Oregon is different than MSU vs Michigan.  Oregon controlled the whole game. MSU I would go far as say got lucky to win. I saw no problem with the committee moving Michigan ahead of MSU.  Proved to the correct call. 

There are 3 weeks left in the season. That is way to long to be worrying about the rankings.  

Ducks win out, they are in.  I have no proof, only historical precedent.

So long to that opening drive scoring streak, Utes. 

• Haha 1

Let’s win the next three games and see what happens. If Utah is as good as Vegas thinks they are and we win out then I like our chances.

The D isnt looking as good as I would like

Wow! Utah off to a 5/6 start on 3rd down. 

3rd down defense has been the achilles heel of Oregon football for sooooo long it seems.

okay forget style points for the committee, i'm willing to settle for points

On 11/20/2021 at 3:03 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

The D isnt looking as good as I would like

Our team isn't looking good.

Blew the FG -jeebs

On 11/20/2021 at 5:18 PM, DuckIt said:

Our team isn't looking good.

yup

Still early but I hope tonight is not one of those WTFudge happened games.

Be calm and enjoy a great group of young men giving their best. They will settle down and take control of the game. If they don't then they were overrated (including the coaches) and will learn (including the coaches) from the experience.

Is Dollars healthy?  Him or Franklin should have been running that reverse instead of Hutson.

On 11/20/2021 at 5:22 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

Still early but I hope tonight is not one of those WTFudge happened games.

They dont look in sync, hopefully that changes soon

I had a bad feeling about this game. I didn't want to say anything, but it's time I speak up because sometimes when I say something, then for some reason I get proven wrong. So, let's hope this is one of those times. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

That doesn't mean that it isn't disappointing how things are going at the moment. 

On 11/20/2021 at 5:25 PM, Krsmqn said:

I had a bad feeling about this game. I didn't want to say anything, but it's time I speak up because sometimes when I say something, then for some reason I get proven wrong. So, let's hope this is one of those times. 

Yeah, after that basketball game earlier this week I was thinking "the state of Utah is going to extract a pound of flesh from the state of Oregon this week". 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 3:24 PM, DuckIt said:

Is Dollars healthy?  Him or Franklin should have been running that reverse instead of Hutson.

I meant Seven.

honestly this feels like most of the games this season, the ducks start looking terrible... continue looking terrible but somehow score points and then the stats at the end of the game look better than what i feel like i watched.

That play was down the toilet

• Like 1

We're possibly looking at no points for the whole half.  

Guess it's time to start thinking about the Rose Bowl.  Anything less than a the TD victory is not going to cut it.  

November is showcase month, not ugly win month. 

We're going to win this game.  This is not going to impress the committee.  

• Like 1

I still can't believe that Anthony Brown gives us the best opportunity to win... missing a short dump off pass badly and then that play. Is it just me that thinks that pass was really hard to miss?

I've been reading the blog and forum each day by the way. Great stuff here.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am done with AB. Do you think we can beat a top 25 team with this old man at the helm. Please prove me wrong. He hasn’t made a good play yet and the game is almost half over.

• Like 2

No doubt Redd and JJ gone hurt.

If the defense is just going to stand around and let the Utah players get wide open then they might as well just go home!

• Like 2

Our secondary looks lost.  Wright is far from being a shutdown corner.