Duck1984

Did More Players Quit With Pittman?

Is the lack of effort against Utah a sign of players support for Pittman?

Not a good look in prime time.

On 11/20/2021 at 6:25 PM, Duck1984 said:

Is the lack of effort against Utah a sign of players support for Pittman?

Not a good look in prime time.

I would hope to think not but one never knows

if the players quit, so did the coaches.   What kind of insanity was that play calling on the last series? 

Did not like Devon Williams on-the-field demeanor.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/20/2021 at 8:07 PM, geoquack said:

Did not like Devon Williams on-the-field demeanor.

I never do

Guest KingT

I don't think any player quit tonight or because of Pittman, but rather, I think Pittman might have known that Redd and JJ were out when he quit, thus maximizing impact against the team -- just a random and highly speculative thought...

On 11/20/2021 at 8:42 PM, KingT said:

I don't think any player quit tonight or because of Pittman, but rather, I think Pittman might have known that Redd and JJ were out when he quit, thus maximizing impact against the team -- just a random and highly speculative thought...

Receivers were open....they were not the problem primarily tonight, IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/20/2021 at 8:44 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Receivers were open....they were not the problem primarily tonight, IMHO.

Receivers were definitely NOT the primary problem tonight. Not many good, catchable balls were thrown, blocking wasn't real good, and what was with all of the missed and poor tackles tonight. On top of all of that, our special teams played very poorly tonight, and the coaching decision to not just burn the clock at the end of the first half was a disaster.

• Thumbs Up 3

It looks like Oregon State is going to win tonight so the Ducks will be playing the Beavers for the honor of being the Pac 12 North Champion.

Outplayed and out-coached. One of the most embarrassing losses in many years. Hopefully Pittman's departure didn't impact the attitude of the players. The remaining receivers were open, but Brown was horrible. I advocated for Ty Thompson weeks ago;  Brown made my case tonight. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 8:53 PM, latracey said:

It looks like Oregon State is going to win tonight so the Ducks will be playing the Beavers for the honor of being the Pac 12 North Champion.

Unless the Cougars beat the Fuskies in Seattle.  Which they should, but probably won't.

I decided I'm routing for the Beavers tonight. At the moment only up 7. If the Ducks can regroup, they'll take care of business against the 🦫

Go Ducks!!

The over-rated "super-depth" Ducks were finally exposed but as to precisely what I don't know. But I've been smelling some internal strife going on for the longest time and it has been kept well-hidden all season. Expect booing at the Beavers game - and it won't be at the team as MC has claimed before.

We will have to see who lines up next week and who shows up to play. It was almost like the players started to believe it was a miracle they were #3 and all they had to do was believe the miracle was true. The problem was the Utes didn't believe in the miracle and remembered the last time we embarrassed them.

I thought the qb room would be the place where the discontent could fester. Seems like the receiver room may have, and may be infecting the team. We will see next week.

One thing, aren't AB and Williams roommates? There seemed to be something going on between the two. Putting your hands up and motioning where the ball should have been doesn't seem to be what roommates, let alone teammates do, right?

After all this time, doesn't it ever make you wonder what possibly could have happened in the week after the Ohio State game? The Ducks then looked like a brand new shiny super-car . . . and ever since it performed like a mud-splattered jalopy running on four FLAT tires, hobbling down the road.

Edited by toketeeman

Aside from transfer Williams, were the rest of the Duck receivers in the draft classes with Ashford, Butterfield, and Thompson?

Is Brown the old man out?

The W in Columbus was by far the best W ever for Brown. That was the first and only time Brown has started a game against a top 25 opponent and won.

The young QBs in the clubhouse must have been terribly overrated, are being negligently under-coached, or both? And why recruit all of the WRs?

ASU 2019 redeux. But without the furious comeback attempt. Just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water with Mario, THIS happens?

Hopefully, the Ducks will sit Brown and still have a chance to play for the Rose Bowl?

• Thumbs Up 1

"Just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water with Mario, THIS happens?"

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

I get the sense that all of the starting WR's quit the team this last week.  Not because they're upset or mad about the coaches or ABs inability to effectively execute the passing offense, but because they felt like they were risking injury that could impact their future ability to earn money.  

Pittman has eligibility left so my guess is he entered the transfer portal so he could stop playing immediately.  He's already had injury issues so what was to be gained by playing with a QB that can't get you the ball consistently to where you can showcase your abilities.  At this point, it's just better to leave and look for a team that can use your talents which will hopefully improve your chances to get drafted after next season.

For Redd and JJ, both are seniors and can't enter the transfer portal so for them, stepping down so they can start preparing for the draft now and not risk injury makes sense as well. 

I would guess this was a meeting with the coaches and they all agreed to state injuries for Redd and JJ so they can heal whatever lingering injuries they surely have from practicing and playing for 3 months.  For Pittman, the same...let him heal up and get his name out there so he can find a new home for next season.

As a Duck fan I would love to see them all keep playing and see where this team would finish, but I completely understand and don't have any issue with them looking out for what is best for themselves.  They have devoted their entire lives to the game of football and playing for Oregon is a big deal, but it also is just another step to their ultimate goal of playing in the NFL. 

In my opinion I think all 3 made a decision based on what was best for them personally to manage risk so they can achieve their goals.  They need to prioritize beyond wins/losses and fan hopes/dreams to make sure they maximize their ability to achieve financial security for themselves and their families down the road.  

In my opinion it is a decision the player makes when he is recruited by any university that he give 100% to the college and the team. The University spends a large amount on each player through scholarships and facilities that each student athlete can take advantage of. Any player that quits on a team, especially late in the season is the type of person that will do so again. MC is reportedly a players coach and I think he goes out of his way to be so. Disrespecting a coach is a sign of weakness and these kinds of players usually bomb out at whatever level they are playing. There are no participation trophies at this level.

Finish what you start or move on because cancer is not what this team needs.

The bad apples always fall from the tree first.

On 11/21/2021 at 12:09 AM, Jon Joseph said:

The young QBs in the clubhouse must have been terribly overrated, are being negligently under-coached, or both? And why recruit all of the WRs?

Something I've been wondering: Could the deal with the QB question be that they don't want to burn one of TT's years at this point? Like the philosophy all year has been that he won't burn his redshirt under pretty much any circumstances, and this year they'll just try to make do with who they have? And they've just been kind of fortunate to cobble together wins to reach 9-2?

I don't know, I just recall those games against Stony Brook, Arizona, Cal . . . and it just sort of feels like we've be a paper tiger all year. Ohio State game being the exception that proves the rule, I guess.

On 11/21/2021 at 7:09 AM, DCDuckfan said:

I get the sense that all of the starting WR's quit the team this last week.  Not because they're upset or mad about the coaches or ABs inability to effectively execute the passing offense, but because they felt like they were risking injury that could impact their future ability to earn money.  

Pittman has eligibility left so my guess is he entered the transfer portal so he could stop playing immediately.  He's already had injury issues so what was to be gained by playing with a QB that can't get you the ball consistently to where you can showcase your abilities.  At this point, it's just better to leave and look for a team that can use your talents which will hopefully improve your chances to get drafted after next season.

For Redd and JJ, both are seniors and can't enter the transfer portal so for them, stepping down so they can start preparing for the draft now and not risk injury makes sense as well. 

I would guess this was a meeting with the coaches and they all agreed to state injuries for Redd and JJ so they can heal whatever lingering injuries they surely have from practicing and playing for 3 months.  For Pittman, the same...let him heal up and get his name out there so he can find a new home for next season.

As a Duck fan I would love to see them all keep playing and see where this team would finish, but I completely understand and don't have any issue with them looking out for what is best for themselves.  They have devoted their entire lives to the game of football and playing for Oregon is a big deal, but it also is just another step to their ultimate goal of playing in the NFL. 

In my opinion I think all 3 made a decision based on what was best for them personally to manage risk so they can achieve their goals.  They need to prioritize beyond wins/losses and fan hopes/dreams to make sure they maximize their ability to achieve financial security for themselves and their families down the road.  

Interesting conspiracy take. You might be on to something …, or …. you spend too much time in the conspiracy capital of the country?

I don't think any guys on the team quit because of MP. It looked to me like a fight when one fighter comes out and lands a hard punch to the

other fighters face and at that point controls the fight. Ducks simple weren't ready for the initial punch from UT and never regained

composure. If they can somehow muster the will power to beat the beavs next Sat I feel they will be more prepared and it won't be a blowout

in the P12 game. I saw a lot of guys playing hard but not playing smart. Not going to blame any particular circumstance for last nights

debacle because IMO there's blame everywhere. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/21/2021 at 11:26 AM, GODUCKS15 said:Not going to blame any particular circumstance for last nights debacle because IMO there's blame everywhere. 

Agree with this, multiple flaws last night. Yes, injuries are a huge issue, but we had enough play makers to still make a better game of it. 

1) JM’s apparent plan to avoid their loaded box D front and throw first was flawed. AB on a good night might have fulfilled this but he had an off night. I read on another blog he is nursing some injury?

2) Special teams a disaster last night. Cam misses 2 FG’s after not missing one all year. He was pressured due to poor blocking. Kicking that end of half punt? Nuts.

3) Receivers were open and AB couldn’t get the ball to them often enough. He made a couple spectacular throws, but totally missed the read on others. I can’t explain why MC did not go to a backup in the second half, when it was obviously lost; nothing to lose and everything to gain.

4) Thibs covering mid deep when he is our best rusher - just what was that?  

And most importantly:

5) It didn’t look like the team was ready to play at all - tired and lackluster. Might be multiple issues there, I don’t have a guess other than morale or coaching, but it’s as you say - they got punched in the mouth at the bell and couldn’t recover. 

• Thumbs Up 1