Charles Fischer

Ten DC Replacements via OregonLive

Some new names beyond what Coach Boles presented on Monday are right here.

LOS 2019_Video.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

I saw that list earlier... Difficult to say who is high on Oregon's list. I get the feeling that though Cristobal had a good chunk of money for his assistant coaches I don't think it'd make too much financial sense for him to go after Orlando... Buying out his contract and then paying him potentially more would be a high price. 

Steele could be good ... Good reputation and skilled recruiter but also comes with Auburn's continued payout for some financial support. 

Oregon is in a much better place than other pac-12 teams when it comes to coaching money... However, they still don't have SEC money do spending it wisely will be critical. 

Coaching serches are so exciting... Though a consistent coaching staff has some major benefits. 

Just heard something that hurts. Coach Marcus Freeman had interest in Oregon, but the uncertainty of whether Coach Avalos was going to Boise or not played out too long. Notre Dame has since hired him.

Coach has so far proven able to hire staff and direct recruiting. His hire is going to be good.

The days of loyalty and long-term commitment are gone, so expect frequent churn within the staff.

8 minutes ago, Notalot said:

Coach has so far proven able to hire staff and direct recruiting. His hire is going to be good.

The days of loyalty and long-term commitment are gone, so expect frequent churn within the staff.

I don't know about gone... I can see quite a few coaches staying on in their current roles for some time. Maribal at offensive line for one... 

Though I agree that for the most part Oregon will become a revolving door of coaches who come and go. We just want coaches to leave for better jobs ideally... Because then we become a destination for that coaches want to come to develop and continue their careers, like the alabama model. 

It does put ever more importance on coaching hires though to make sure they are right from the start. With so many moving pieces there needs to be a connection from day one with the entire staff. 

21 minutes ago, David Marsh said:

Oregon will become a revolving door of coaches who come and go

What Oregon had, for so many years, was unheard of. Coaches with 20-30 years. So, the "revolving door" is something we are having to get used to. But, it is the way it works in college football, Oregon included now. 

We don't need to "break-in" a defensive coach that has never been a play caller. That takes a lot of time and a lot of experimenting besides we are doing that with our HC. 

Kevin Steel, the former Auburn DC sounds like a good candidate. But do we have enough money for him to "go West young man". 

REFSL24I6ZH73CBC3YN6NZB2IA.JPG.eddc2db9d8a57d41baa22ddc2fbf85b4.JPG

41 minutes ago, BigDucksFan said:

We don't need to "break-in" a defensive coach that has never been a play caller. That takes a lot of time and a lot of experimenting besides we are doing that with our HC. 

Kevin Steel, the former Auburn DC sounds like a good candidate. But do we have enough money for him to "go West young man".

He's got buyout money coming from Auburn. I know there are a lot of contracts out there that it can be advantageous for the coach and their new team to take a bit of a normal pay cut because of the way the buyout works for the contract for the team that fired them. Auburn still has to pay Steele a portion of his contract and there can be wording in there that concerns how much he may or may not be paid at a new destination and how much Auburn would have to keep paying him... if that makes sense.

So Oregon (or another team) might be able to pick him up on the cheap because Auburn is still paying a chunk of the tab.